What’s going on at Channel 34?

Guest Juan Curkey

Guest Juan Curkey

Does anyone have any details on what’s been going on at NewsChannel 34 lately? Only 30 minutes of news in the morning, and now I’ve been seeing their forecasts being pre-taped by talent and graphics and sister station WSYR 9 in Syracuse.

I’ve heard several ‘ideas’ being thrown around. One; that WIVT is working on purchasing space inside the Oakdale Mall to build a new glass studio, where shoppers can watch the newscasts and newsroom in action, similar to KOSA in Odessa, TX. I was told that the link they established at the mall was meant for the new studio, but plans got pushed back.

Another person told me that WIVT may completely toss in the towel on independent news, and simulcast NewsChannel 9’s newscasts down here, and use WIVT’s talent, studio, vehicles and equipment as a ‘Binghamton Newsroom’.

With rumors flying around, newscasts being trimmed down, and now the official sale of the station through Clear Channels’ latest deal, does anyone have any real information on what’s going on inside?

Does anyone have any details on what’s been going on at NewsChannel 34 lately? Only 30 minutes of news in the morning, and now I’ve been seeing their forecasts being pre-taped by talent and graphics and sister station WSYR 9 in Syracuse.

I’ve heard several ‘ideas’ being thrown around. One; that WIVT is working on purchasing space inside the Oakdale Mall to build a new glass studio, where shoppers can watch the newscasts and newsroom in action, similar to KOSA in Odessa, TX. I was told that the link they established at the mall was meant for the new studio, but plans got pushed back.

Another person told me that WIVT may completely toss in the towel on independent news, and simulcast NewsChannel 9’s newscasts down here, and use WIVT’s talent, studio, vehicles and equipment as a ‘Binghamton Newsroom’.

With rumors flying around, newscasts being trimmed down, and now the official sale of the station through Clear Channels’ latest deal, does anyone have any real information on what’s going on inside?

That's exactly it, the new owner Newport News Corp (Providence Capital) closed on WIVT/WBGH on Friday. If you thought things were bad under Clear Channel, just wait until the real cost cutting begins!

Archived