Heads should roll at Binghamton University

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

If the powers tha are don't immediately expell any and all known Binghamton University students, as well as terminate the employment of any SUNY Binghamton faculty, this community that has welcomed these students and this University with open arms should stop supporting the University as a whole.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original protest that was staged when it was on campus. The second it left campus, and made its way east down the Parkway, it was absolutely wrong.

Today, we witnessed some of the student body and, from what I have also heard, employees of the University, create havoc within OUR community and seriously jeopardize the public safety within.

Motor vehicle accidents DID happen, and police were taken away from protecting the communities they are supposed to be serving, leaving those comminities at risk, as well as ambulances that may have been needed elsewhere were needed at this act of hooliganism.

And all for what?

People that have zero respect for the community in which their University resides in. That's what this was all about.

Good for you for your protest....... while it was on campus.

Shame on you, Binghamton University, when it was allowed into our community.

Now the question should be asked, as I stated in the begining of this post.....what are you going to do about it?

This community in which your University is in will be watching.

Closely.

Guest Guest

Wow.

A small handful of students act like immature jerks at a protest rally and everyone loses their tiny, little minds over it.

Grow up already. How can you expect students to act like adults when you dolts are acting like someone just shot your dog and your Mom?

Wow.

A small handful of students act like immature jerks at a protest rally and everyone loses their tiny, little minds over it.

Grow up already. How can you expect students to act like adults when you dolts are acting like someone just shot your dog and your Mom?

Then those that made up that "small handful" should lose their scholarships, State TAP, and Federally guaranteed loans. I would rather see them suspended or better yet explelled from the school because of their acts. The protest was fine when it was on campus, but when it left campus and caused injury to those in the community that is beyond words. They should be punished.

Guest Guest

What in the hell are you saying????????

Do you have ANY idea what this country was founded on at all?

I am not taking a stand on the war one way or another, but college students protesting against a war is a HUGE part of the RIGHTS that our soldiers are and always have fought and died for.

For Christ's sake (and don't delete that, it isn't a swear word, I do mean for His sake), for the sake of freedom, think about what you are saying, for once.

The right to protest is one of the most unusual rights that we citizens of the US has...very very very few people in the history of the world that have every had that right. Agree or disagree, it is a basic, amazing and permanent RIGHT as citizens....

C'mon people - did they teach you anything in school about the Constitution?

Having siad that, if they broke the law (and I don't know if they did or not), sure, they should be subject to arrest.....but it looked like a crap-load of cops for a few kids protesting -

My guess? Charges against the kids will be dropped...

Seriously, start looking past your knee jerk response and THINK about what your rights - and those of others REALLY mean.

And, by the way, watch John Adams on HBO...it drives this point home.

What in the hell are you saying????????

Do you have ANY idea what this country was founded on at all?

I am not taking a stand on the war one way or another, but college students protesting against a war is a HUGE part of the RIGHTS that our soldiers are and always have fought and died for.

For Christ's sake (and don't delete that, it isn't a swear word, I do mean for His sake), for the sake of freedom, think about what you are saying, for once.

The right to protest is one of the most unusual rights that we citizens of the US has...very very very few people in the history of the world that have every had that right. Agree or disagree, it is a basic, amazing and permanent RIGHT as citizens....

C'mon people - did they teach you anything in school about the Constitution?

Having siad that, if they broke the law (and I don't know if they did or not), sure, they should be subject to arrest.....but it looked like a crap-load of cops for a few kids protesting -

My guess? Charges against the kids will be dropped...

Seriously, start looking past your knee jerk response and THINK about what your rights - and those of others REALLY mean.

And, by the way, watch John Adams on HBO...it drives this point home.

I will say it again for the cheap seats. I did not have a problem with the PEACEFUL protest that did not harm anyone while it was on campus. I have a HUGE problem when it caused injury to the general public that was involuntarily involved.

I totally agree that what they did was rediculous, but come on people. It was stupid, the people who did it were punished, it is over, lets all move on! They were idiots, but NO! their whole lives should not be ruined becuase they walked in traffic. Was I held up on the highway because of this? YES! Was I DELETED off because of that? YES! But I am over it - and you all need to get over it too!

Also, there are THOUSANDS of students on that campus and i think they said there was like 30 protestors (and not even all of them were BU Students). So lets stop banning them, as a whole, from local businesses and talking about what "little spoiled brats they ALL are". I am not saying that the majority of the student body may not be living up to this quote, but still there are many that do not. A lot of them are area grads that have gone to BU so they can remain at home, sons and daughters of people on this board. Not all of the students are bad!

Guest Guest

Oh don't be a fool. Let's not act like they brought howitzers or pipe bombs.

Should they have blocked traffic (if in fact they did?) No. Should they have moved when the cops told them to? Sure....but let's not act like the kids were 'violent'

Puh-leeze.

BC Girl,

I respect your opinion. I agree with you for the most part. But they have yet to punished. The school was quoted in the PS&B that they will not

make a decision until later depending on the outcome of the arrest charges. There is nothing wrong with a lawful peaceful protest, but people

not directly involed were injured. That is unacceptable.

Guest Guest

Should they have blocked traffic (if in fact they did?) No. Should they have moved when the cops told them to? Sure....but let's not act like the kids were 'violent'

Puh-leeze.

From what I saw on WICZ, It looked to me like the Adults were violent. WICZ was the only station that showed the police getting hit. Let’s be straight here, they’re not kids, their adults and they should know better. You can protest all you want but when you shut down a major highway and then are asked to move by the police and don't, you can't complain when you get arrested. Also, the picture on pressconnects clearly shows them across the parkway, blocking all lanes and holding a banner. I just don't understand why they just did not stay on the side of the road. I believe their message would have gotten out better. Vestal has a lot of protests at the abortion clinic, the protesters are peaceful they don't block traffic and there is no conflict with the police. Quite frankly, if you are going to protest by civil disobedient, expect to get arrested for that, and don't call it peaceful.

Guest Guest

Puh-leeze.

Were you there when it happened...??...did you see the "kids" shove the police officers after they were ordered to leave the roadway.....I didn't think so.....

....did you see the video clip on News Team 40 when "kid" struck the police officer on the back with the sign as the police officer was attempting to take into custody a person who was breaking the law...???

the "protesters" broke the law by marching in the road blocking traffic, they REFUSED to vacate the roadway and let traffic (law abiding motorists) drive past, they were arrested.....sometimes when a person is told he/she is under arrest they resist and they get pepper sprayed.....too f*cking bad.....

if they stayed on campus this would have NOT happened....

if they stayed to the right only blocking the right lane, this would have NOT happened....

the marchers broke the law and every single person who was marching in the road should have been arrested....and if I was on the scene I would have arrested everyone of the prissy ass punks I could grab....

KUDOS TO ALL THE COPS ON THE SCENE SHOWING THE RESTRAIN THEY DID .....because I know I would not have if I was there...

Guest Guest

IF ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE, WHO BASH OUR LOCAL POLITICIANS, HAD 1/2 THE SACH THOSE KIDS DID, THEN WE WOULD BE LIVING IN AN ECONOMICALLY PROSPEROUS COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest 31AB0D
IF ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE, WHO BASH OUR LOCAL POLITICIANS, HAD 1/2 THE SACH THOSE KIDS DID, THEN WE WOULD BE LIVING IN AN ECONOMICALLY PROSPEROUS COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the land was ruled by automatic weapons, they wouldn't have the guts to walk down the road like that. I say, oh, you wanna scream, yell, and cause a major disturbance? BAM!!! Dead. The world would be a quieter place.

Guest Guest
Were you there when it happened...??...did you see the "kids" shove the police officers after they were ordered to leave the roadway.....I didn't think so.....

....did you see the video clip on News Team 40 when "kid" struck the police officer on the back with the sign as the police officer was attempting to take into custody a person who was breaking the law...???

the "protesters" broke the law by marching in the road blocking traffic, they REFUSED to vacate the roadway and let traffic (law abiding motorists) drive past, they were arrested.....sometimes when a person is told he/she is under arrest they resist and they get pepper sprayed.....too f*cking bad.....

if they stayed to the right only blocking the right lane, this would have NOT happened....

the marchers broke the law and every single person who was marching in the road should have been arrested....and if I was on the scene I would have arrested everyone of the prissy ass punks I could grab....

KUDOS TO ALL THE COPS ON THE SCENE SHOWING THE RESTRAIN THEY DID .....because I know I would not have if I was there...

Why not?

If they stayed on campus and blocked the roads they would have been moved by police just the same, and if they'd assaulted police there they would have been pepper sprayed and arrested just the same. The State University Police Officers at BU don't F% around.

Guest Guest

The school should be fined and made to pay for the entire dollar amount that this little freak show cost the taxpayers.

And, the people who were involved in car accidents as a result of this BS should file a lawsuit.

Guest Guest

It's about time that the kids got fired up. We wouldn't want the war to inconvenience the people of Broome County. Sure fight a war on borrowed money, drag down the military rather than draft people. Boy those five years sure went by fast. We don't seem much about the wars, but, they just keep on going.

Keep it up BU. Close down the parkway!

This will be probably be my first and last post on this.

I have been continuously reading all of these posts regarding SUNY Binghamton (BU to most), and I have been laughing the majority of the time.

1) The FEW students that protested today had a RIGHT to peacably assemble; however they crossed the line when they decided to take it to the streets, and potentially endanger the motorists. At that point, it was no longer longer peacably assembling. Now, they have a right to protest on the sidewalks, but not in the streets.

2) Many people are pigeon-holing an entire campus over the actions of a FEW, and I emphasize a FEW. You can not honestly judge an entire campus this way. Sure, as with any school (private or public), there will always be a FEW that act like idiots, but such is life.

Now, I have friends and family that have fought, and died in this war; however, I am also against this war as well. Notice I said WAR, and NOT troops. So many people on here think that these protesters, or just protesters in general, are against the troops, but they are not. People need to get that through their heads.

My brother in-law, Chad, is a Marine that is IRAQ right now. We had a conversation just before he re-deployed back to IRAQ. We were talking about the protesters, and what he felt about them, and he said something that kind of caught me off guard. He said that he is fighting for their right to protest, but, what really irritates him is all the people that are trying to take that right away from them. I never really thought about it that way before. These men and women are fighting a war to protect the rights that we are fundamentally guaranteed, which includes protesting; however, there are so many people that are willing to try and strip us of this right. What they fail to realize is that they are actually doing a dis-service to our troops - in essence, they are fighting against what our troops are fighting for.

Basically, let the protesters protest, and have their views, and you can have yours - leave it at that.

Now, I highly doubt that the crux of the animosity is geared towards "protesters." I am willing to to bet that it is more geared towards a growing disdain for BU. Why? I do not know, but people need to also get this through their heads: SUNY/BU is going nowhere, and the quicker people realize this, then the better off you will be.

Guest Guest
This will be probably be my first and last post on this.

I have been continuously reading all of these posts regarding SUNY Binghamton (BU to most), and I have been laughing the majority of the time.

1) The FEW students that protested today had a RIGHT to peacably assemble; however they crossed the line when they decided to take it to the streets, and potentially endanger the motorists. At that point, it was no longer longer peacably assembling. Now, they have a right to protest on the sidewalks, but not in the streets.

2) Many people are pigeon-holing an entire campus over the actions of a FEW, and I emphasize a FEW. You can not honestly judge an entire campus this way. Sure, as with any school (private or public), there will always be a FEW that act like idiots, but such is life.

Now, I have friends and family that have fought, and died in this war; however, I am also against this war as well. Notice I said WAR, and NOT troops. So many people on here think that these protesters, or just protesters in general, are against the troops, but they are not. People need to get that through their heads.

My brother in-law, Chad, is a Marine that is IRAQ right now. We had a conversation just before he re-deployed back to IRAQ. We were talking about the protesters, and what he felt about them, and he said something that kind of caught me off guard. He said that he is fighting for their right to protest, but, what really irritates him is all the people that are trying to take that right away from them. I never really thought about it that way before. These men and women are fighting a war to protect the rights that we are fundamentally guaranteed, which includes protesting; however, there are so many people that are willing to try and strip us of this right. What they fail to realize is that they are actually doing a dis-service to our troops - in essence, they are fighting against what our troops are fighting for.

Basically, let the protesters protest, and have their views, and you can have yours - leave it at that.

Now, I highly doubt that the crux of the animosity is geared towards "protesters." I am willing to to bet that it is more geared towards a growing disdain for BU. Why? I do not know, but people need to also get this through their heads: SUNY/BU is going nowhere, and the quicker people realize this, then the better off you will be.

Sure, they have a lawful right to protest and the we have a lawful right to criticize them don't we? You say you are against the war but not the troops. What do you think this does to the moral of the majority of the troops knowing that their countrymen do not back what they are doing? An army without morale is not a good thing to say the least. If I was over there serving my country (I am a veteran), I would be upset that my countrymen are not behind us.

I support the troops, but I do not support the reasoning they are there.

You have every right to criticize the actions of protesters - I did mention that in my original post; however, I think that the animosity towards the protesters is about a growing disdain for SUNY/BU, and not about them protesting.

I just feel it is funny that we have all these people saying "the troops are fighting for your right to protest," and then in the same sentence talking about how they should be silenced for protesting. Why would you silence the right that the troops are fighting to give them - it is a slap in the face of our veterans, and current enlisted members.

Guest Guest
I support the troops, but I do not support the reasoning they are there.

You have every right to criticize the actions of protesters - I did mention that in my original post; however, I think that the animosity towards the protesters is about a growing disdain for SUNY/BU, and not about them protesting.

I just feel it is funny that we have all these people saying "the troops are fighting for your right to protest," and then in the same sentence talking about how they should be silenced for protesting. Why would you silence the right that the troops are fighting to give them - it is a slap in the face of our veterans, and current enlisted members.

Hmmmm. " Growing disdain"..... Ya think???? Gee, would their rosy smellin arses (so they think) have anything to do with that?

Guest Guest

General Giap (North Vietnam) stated in an interview, that they were ready to give up back in the 60s. They got encouragement from the anti-war protests and the liberal MSM, and decided to keep going. Now, we have the same situation; same minds, different persons, same media. We left them alone, back in the 60s, and lost the war. We can’t do that today. The war will come, this time, to our own doorsteps. These “losers” with empty lives, looking for any cause, have to be severely punished. All they are doing is “aiding and abetting the enemy.” They have to be stopped. Unfortunately, with encouragement from the MSM and liberal politicians, I don’t see it coming anytime soon.

Hmmmm. " Growing disdain"..... Ya think???? Gee, would their rosy smellin arses (so they think) have anything to do with that?

I am sure that SUNY/BU has its fair share of pretentious jerks, along with every single college/university in the country, but that is not the point. The point is; you can not let the actions of a few dictate how you view an entire campus of over 15,000 students.

Guest Guest

An Email sent by the University:

3/18/2008

To the University Community (Students AND Vestal Residents):

The Student Association at Binghamton University charters close to 160 student organizations. One of these is the Experimental Media Organization, who allegedly organized today's protest regarding the war in Iraq.

Freedom of speech is an incredibly important ideal that we as students seek to uphold in all situations, and therefore we cannot condemn the mere fact that these students chose to hold a protest about the war both on campus and in the town of Vestal.

However, while we are still unclear as to the exact unfoldings of the event, we can assure you that any conviction of illegal activity by members of the group in relation to today's protest will result in sanctions imposed by the Student Assembly. We cannot, and will not, condone members of our chartered organizations violating the law to accomplish their goals.

There will be an emergency meeting of the Student Assembly tomorrow, Wednesday, at 7pm in the Old University Union, room 133. At the beginning of this meeting there will be a specified time for public comment, and we whole-heartedly invite both students and members of our community to attend.

We hope that this open dialogue will help to facilitate the concerns of all parties involved, and that neither the actions of the students or of the law enforcement officials involved in today's events will foster negative "town-gown" relations in either direction.

If you have any further questions regarding the procedures of the Student Association, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

David Belsky

Director of Communications

Student Association at Binghamton University

607-777-3394 doc@sa.binghamton.edu

Guest Guest
Wow.

Because the so called students were out of line and should be prosecuted to tyhe fullest extent of the law-which should include jail time!!

Archived