In contrast to war protesters...

cupkate

This is pretty long, but it's a nice story and a fantastic idea.

Last week in Atlanta, Georgia in the airport, I heard several people behind

me beginning to clap and cheer.

Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As they

began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to

their feet with their hands waving and cheering.

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered

for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who

still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung

heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go

to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our

service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old ran up

to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said "hi."

The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for

her.

The young soldier, who didn't look any older than, maybe 22 himself, said he

would try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Then suddenly the

little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she

could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was

Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been

in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter

Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of

the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the other

servicemen pulled out a military-looking walkie-talkie. They started playing

with the device and talking back and forth on it.

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to

Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and he told

me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that he had just

met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying "your daddy told

me to tell you that he loves you more than anything in the world and he is

coming home very soon."

The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young

soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing

no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people

Resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there

were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act

of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear

rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and

thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's good to

be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red

every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called

the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for

God, country and home in record breaking numbers.

We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing... We get no liberal media

coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions. Many Americans, like

you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority

of America supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and

respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday until the

troops all come home, sending a deafening message that... Every red-blooded

American who supports our men and women afar will wear something red.

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday

a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers.

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with

Acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long

Before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know

The once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever; certainly

More than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things

better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers.

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear

something red every Friday.

Guest Guest

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/daughter.asp

It's a fictional account of reality designed to make people feel a certain sentiment. If you have to make it up it's not reflective of reality. The whole humble hero and adoring public thing has gotten pretty tired with most people who are able to see a reality designed for the adult level of comprehension.

This post has been going around for years and it's most often not so much an attempt to honor the soldiers as to tell the public how it should think and feel by (fictional) example.

Loved the story, I would have been on my feet and will anytime anywhere I see even one.

Thanks a million. We're out here we're very, very strong, we just don'tmake spectacles of ourselves, but vote where it counts.

Snopes, big deal.

The story has no time or date, haven't you a clue what it truly represents?

Use Snopes for things other than judging patriotism. You dont' have any, just shut up then.

Guest Guest

It's not 'in contrast to'. People who use the "false choice" are really just telling people the contempt in which they hold the reader. You'd have to be an idiot to buy into the idea that supporting the troops and opposing the war are in any way at odds. You're actually supporting the troops by opposing the war since their less likely to be killed for a pointless police action.

@

whether or not the story is true, it does not matter. the moral of it is we should thank our troops everyday. everytime i see member of our armed services, or speak to one over the phone. i thank them for what they do for us everyday. That would not change if that story was false. I dont care if you are for the war or against it, or even if this war was not going on. You can always thank our service personel.

@

You're actually supporting the troops by opposing the war since their less likely to be killed for a pointless police action.

@

That's a pretty stupid statement. Those troops do their job because they want to, and they want all the support they can get. I know many people in the military and when I ask what I can do for them or what I can send them they say just think about us and let people know that we're proud to protect them.

You should remember that they're risking getting killed in order to keep YOU safe.

It doesn't really matter if the story isn't true, I know many guys that if put in that situation would do exactly the same thing.

There are a lot of supportive people out there, I know that when I go anywhere with a guy in his military uniform people always stop and say thank you and let them know that they're praying for them.

If you can't stand behind the troops; try standing infront of them.

Guest Guest
That's a pretty stupid statement. Those troops do their job because they want to, and they want all the support they can get. I know many people in the military and when I ask what I can do for them or what I can send them they say just think about us and let people know that we're proud to protect them.You should remember that they're risking getting killed in order to keep YOU safe.

I certainly don't have a problem with that. But who are they protecting us from? Saddam is dead.

I certainly don't have a problem with that. But who are they protecting us from? Saddam is dead.

There are more issues than Saddam. The taliban (the people who orchestrated 9-11) are uprising in Afghanistan which is where troops are being sent. So they're protecting you from that.

Guest Guest

The story, like the rest of the war is a lie.

If you believe in the lie strongly enough, it becomes truth to you.

It especially works if it confirms myths you already believe in.

Guest Brick Tamland
There are more issues than Saddam. The taliban (the people who orchestrated 9-11) are uprising in Afghanistan which is where troops are being sent. So they're protecting you from that.

Soooo if the Taliban and Al Qaida are the true problem, why did we spend four years further destabilizing a region and creating a hot bed for terrorist activity before WE DELETED CAUGHT OSAMA BIN LADEN!?!?!?! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY HAVEN'T WE DONE A DAMN THING ABOUT THE MAN WHO HAS OPENLY ADMITTED TO BEING THE MASTERMIND BEHIND 9/11????? WHY HASN'T HE BEEN HUNG BY HIS SCRAWNY NECK? I'M YELLING! LOUD NOISES!!!!!!

I'll be honest, if there was ANY connection between Iraq and 9/11, I would wholeheartedly support that action. But its been shown irrefutabely that Sadaam had NOTHING to do with 9/11. Now Saudi Arabia on the other hand.........

The Iraq war and the War on Terrorism are seperate wars. The War on Terrorism was started in 2001 by the U.S. and the U.K. jointly and now has the support of NATO. That's where the search for Osama is.

The Iraq war started by George Bush in 2003 had little to do with Osama, it was started because of weapons of mass destruction, oil,and Iraqi civil rights.

Irag is an oil war... can you imagine "what if" we didnt go there? ... and can still happen by the other Islam countries that provide us with our major source of oil ..

There wont be any flowing .. - think its hard now? .. could you only imagine if they cut it all off..

Think about this Irag takes over Saudi Arabia .. we depend on them for how many billions of gallons of oil? .. or Iran ... or any close lying power in the region .. we pretty much are screwed..

Guest Brick Tamland
The Iraq war and the War on Terrorism are seperate wars. The War on Terrorism was started in 2001 by the U.S. and the U.K. jointly and now has the support of NATO. That's where the search for Osama is.

The Iraq war started by George Bush in 2003 had little to do with Osama, it was started because of weapons of mass destruction, oil,and Iraqi civil rights.

Are you honestly denying that the Iraq war was EVER about 9/11 or terror? Wasn't the whole march to war littered with references about the connections between Sadaam and Al Qaida? Do I need to post some here?

Again, we have dropped TRILLIONS of dollars on a quagmire while Osama bin Laden continues to walk the earth. If we put even half of our focus upon him as we have Iraq in these past 4 years he'd be a corpse by now. Yet, we decided to send a vast majority of the best and bravest fighters in the world on a wild goose hunt in Iraq for WMDs. While WMDs are scary, they DIDN'T PLAN THE 9/11 ATTACK!!!!!!

This is akin to your family being carjacked and murdered, and the police, instead of focusing all of their efforts on capturing the man they KNOW committed the crime, instead sent the majority of their resources after someone who may one day sell that man a gun (even though he doesn't really have any guns) for future attacks on other people.

Why is there so little outrage about Osama bin Laden's continued existence?!!? Screw Iraq. We have the most sophisticated resources and technology in the world, a large coalition of willing countries offering their help, yet we can't find a nearly 7 foot tall Arab on Dialysis?!?!?!

But now I'm just ranting....

Are you honestly denying that the Iraq war was EVER about 9/11 or terror? Wasn't the whole march to war littered with references about the connections between Sadaam and Al Qaida? Do I need to post some here?

Again, we have dropped TRILLIONS of dollars on a quagmire while Osama bin Laden continues to walk the earth. If we put even half of our focus upon him as we have Iraq in these past 4 years he'd be a corpse by now. Yet, we decided to send a vast majority of the best and bravest fighters in the world on a wild goose hunt in Iraq for WMDs. While WMDs are scary, they DIDN'T PLAN THE 9/11 ATTACK!!!!!!

This is akin to your family being carjacked and murdered, and the police, instead of focusing all of their efforts on capturing the man they KNOW committed the crime, instead sent the majority of their resources after someone who may one day sell that man a gun (even though he doesn't really have any guns) for future attacks on other people.

Why is there so little outrage about Osama bin Laden's continued existence?!!? Screw Iraq. We have the most sophisticated resources and technology in the world, a large coalition of willing countries offering their help, yet we can't find a nearly 7 foot tall Arab on Dialysis?!?!?!

But now I'm just ranting....

I didn't say they had nothing to do with each other, but Osama was just one of the reasons for the Iraq war. WMDs didn't plan the 9/11 attack but stopping them could've prevented a repeat attack. The focus is now in Afghanistan and the search for Osama and his people is ongoing.

Guest Guest
well okay saddam is dead...lets pack up all of our troops and bring them all home. there is no threats out there anymore. wow talk about having your head in the sand.

Are you aware that al qaeda did not have a presence in Iraq until we got there?

@

Guest Guest
Irag is an oil war... can you imagine "what if" we didnt go there? ... and can still happen by the other Islam countries that provide us with our major source of oil ..

There wont be any flowing .. - think its hard now? .. could you only imagine if they cut it all off..

Think about this Irag takes over Saudi Arabia .. we depend on them for how many billions of gallons of oil? .. or Iran ... or any close lying power in the region .. we pretty much are screwed..

That was never an issue.

Saddam would have probably invaded Saudi Arabia had he occupied Kuwait without resistance.

Our kicking him out of Kuwait and our contract to defend Saudi Arabia against all invaders would have made sure Saddam would never have gotten his hands on their oil, too.

You did know we had a defense pact with Saudi Arabia, right? And that we still do??

@

Guest Guest

There doesn't appear to have been any WMDs. Even if there were, we sold them to Sadam when he was still our boy and the weapons were not capable of delivery to the USA.

Afghanistan is a wreck. We lost control of the mountain regions where the Taliban trains, operates and recruits. We lost support of people and governments and lost permission to operate in critical areas. We lost the trust of much of the country who found themselves sitting naked when operatives re-entered their area. We also lost Osama. You may recall the President informing you that he's not a priority any more.

We've lost trillions upon trillions of dollars in Iraq while our borders and ports remain largely as they were before 9-11 due to a lack of funds. Meanwhile, Iraq lost track of where their oil revenue went that could be paying for the reconstruction our grand kids will still be paying off and which most likely won't stabilize things in the long run anyhow. We've moderated the chaos for now but will have to continue pumping trillions of dollars and hundreds of lives into that hole in order to keep it in some semblance of stability. The second we leave the inevitable will happen and it will all have been for naught.

Most soldiers don't want to be there and harbor no illusions about 'protecting America' through their blood and efforts there.

@

Guest Henry K

Let's think about this.

Nine months into the Bush administration we were attacked. We knew the organization, it's leader and where they were hiding.

After all of the chest beating we have not captured the leader, not dismantled his organization, and are still fighting the people who ran the country he hid in.

By what standard can the Bush administration not be held incompetent ?

If you had a business arrangement with this outfit, wouldn't you have them in court?

Guest Guest
The story, like the rest of the war is a lie.

If you believe in the lie strongly enough, it becomes truth to you.

It especially works if it confirms myths you already believe in.

If I were you, I would talk to my doctor about the medicine you were perscribed and have it changed or the dose reduced.

Guest Guest
Let's think about this.

Nine months into the Bush administration we were attacked. We knew the organization, it's leader and where they were hiding.

After all of the chest beating we have not captured the leader, not dismantled his organization, and are still fighting the people who ran the country he hid in.

By what standard can the Bush administration not be held incompetent ?

If you had a business arrangement with this outfit, wouldn't you have them in court?

You think its easy???? Why dont you run for president and see how you do?

@

Guest Guest

So what is wrong with the logic.

Six years in Afghanistan isn't enough for the person who takes pride in being the War President.

Mr. Adultery McCain will bring us four more years of the same.

Archived