NO BC WITHOUT BU

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've said this before with no replies:

What do you think your precious Lockheed Martin in Owego will think about loosing their #1 recruiting pipeline?

Do you think they would want to stay in this area without a major University to recruit from? They would for a while, but any VP worth a pound would see the need to abandon the area as soon as possible (meaning slowly over time, but get it done eventually, product by product, department by department).

What about IBM, L3, etc... What will they think about loosing BU? You don't get it do you? BU is keeping this hole alive!!! Without it, NO employers who hire skilled labor would want to stay around, or move in!!!!

The value of BU should be so obvious that it is kicking you in the head!!!

Fact is BU is the number one employer in the area. They greatly affect this entire area. Sure there may be some problems with some of the kids there but for the most part BU is a positive impact on the region. Sure you may not like the idea but the seasonal changes with the students can readily be seen with the economy of this region. Due to numerous reasons including fuel, energy, off shoring and other costs you'll never see this area build up as it once was so f I were you , I'd consider BU a blessing. Like it or not. B)

@

Guest mohamid momeir

What do you think your precious Lockheed Martin in Owego will think about loosing their #1 recruiting pipeline?

Do you think they would want to stay in this area without a major University to recruit from? They would for a while, but any VP worth a pound would see the need to abandon the area as soon as possible (meaning slowly over time, but get it done eventually, product by product, department by department).

What about IBM, L3, etc... What will they think about loosing BU? You don't get it do you? BU is keeping this hole alive!!! Without it, NO employers who hire skilled labor would want to stay around, or move in!!!!

Actually, without BC, there would not be a lot of spoiled rich kids getting a cheap education. The fact is if we have it they will come. That's why the numbers keep going up. Hey, if they don't like it here GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Because BU has no room and we have to keep building.

So the value of BU to the students should be kicking them in the head. The school is full!

Guest Guest
Actually, without BC, there would not be a lot of spoiled rich kids getting a cheap education. The fact is if we have it they will come. That's why the numbers keep going up. Hey, if they don't like it here GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Because BU has no room and we have to keep building.

So the value of BU to the students should be kicking them in the head. The school is full!

hhahaha are you kidding? take any run down, abandoned county with shatter property value and no local infrastructure...build some dorms and classrooms, call it "new york state university at bumble f#$k and da daaa you have a place for spoiled rich kids to get a cheap education...BU does not need BC...BC needs BU

Guest Guest

spin, spin, spin :huh:

I see you COMPLETELY avoided the topic, which is BC's economic dependency on BU via local employers' dependency on a steady supply of educated and skilled labor.

You can hate BU kids and despise the idea of youth all you want, it doesn't change reality.

PS: Saying BU is full of spoiled rich kids makes you sound embarrasingly ignorant. There are certainly some, but most rich kids automatically go the same private college as their lineage, where they are automatically accepted and their parents pay tuition in full + donations.

Guest Guest

Who gives a DELETED they still better learn to act like citizens of the community or throw their DELETED in jail PERIOD END OF STORY

Guest Guest
spin, spin, spin :huh:

I see you COMPLETELY avoided the topic, which is BC's economic dependency on BU via local employers' dependency on a steady supply of educated and skilled labor.

You can hate BU kids and despise the idea of youth all you want, it doesn't change reality.

PS: Saying BU is full of spoiled rich kids makes you sound embarrasingly ignorant. There are certainly some, but most rich kids automatically go the same private college as their lineage, where they are automatically accepted and their parents pay tuition in full + donations.

totally agree with the pa in this post. I find it amazing that some people can't see how obvious all the benefits of having the university are. Duh? As far as employers needing a stream of local talent - that's probably a stretch. If BU were to suddenly close or leave, I can't see BAE or Lockheed pulling up stakes because of it. They can pay to relocate talent for a long time before outweighing the costs of moving facilities. But you can't argue with the overall positive economic impact of the university. So we have some young goofy kids running around. I was young and goofy once. Now I'm just goofy. Cut them a break.

Guest voice of reason
hhahaha are you kidding? take any run down, abandoned county with shatter property value and no local infrastructure...build some dorms and classrooms, call it "new york state university at bumble f#$k and da daaa you have a place for spoiled rich kids to get a cheap education...BU does not need BC...BC needs BU

Make NYC it's own state. I say cut NYC loose on their own. NYC is big enough to take care of their own problems. They don't need our tax dollars. You should pay your own taxes and take care of your own people instead of sending them from prison to upstate NY to deal with. Why come to an abandoned county with shattered property value and no local infrastructure for education?

If we weren't footing the bill for all the NYC lowlifes we might actually do okay locally!

@

Guest Guest
Who gives a DELETED they still better learn to act like citizens of the community or throw their DELETED in jail PERIOD END OF STORY

Yes, Yes, jail for ANYONE who protests something you don't agree with. And EVERYONE in your generation was well-behaved. And YOU never got into ANY mischief when you were young. Blah, Blah, Blah.... :rolleyes:

Guest Guest
totally agree with the pa in this post. I find it amazing that some people can't see how obvious all the benefits of having the university are. Duh? As far as employers needing a stream of local talent - that's probably a stretch. If BU were to suddenly close or leave, I can't see BAE or Lockheed pulling up stakes because of it. They can pay to relocate talent for a long time before outweighing the costs of moving facilities. But you can't argue with the overall positive economic impact of the university. So we have some young goofy kids running around. I was young and goofy once. Now I'm just goofy. Cut them a break.

About employers pulling up their stakes, I believe it would happen slowly over time. They would look at a new contract and say:

"How are we going to staff this? Where are we going to get people? Most the old IBM engineers are retired now. We aren't going to be able to recruit enough kids from other colleges to come to this area when other companies and other Lockheed managers are offering them positions in more happening places. If we can't guarantee staffing, we will have to staff this new contract at a different Lockheed location."

That's how it will happen. A lot of people in this area don't realize just how many BU grads are hired by LM, BAE, etc... In the past decade, it has been a huge number!

Guest Whats the point Einstein

What is your DELETED point? This doesn't stop the fact that the BU students who were protesting were in the wrong DELETED :angry:

Guest Hey Einstein JR!
Yes, Yes, jail for ANYONE who protests something you don't agree with. And EVERYONE in your generation was well-behaved. And YOU never got into ANY mischief when you were young. Blah, Blah, Blah.... :rolleyes:

Sure I stand out in the middle of the parkway all the time. Get some common sense you DELETED.

Guest Guest
What is your fuckin point? This doesn't stop the fact that the BU students who were protesting were in the wrong asshole :angry:

You obviously can't comprehend this thread, don't hurt yourself trying!!!

The thread was aimed at all the posts over the last few days about how we don't need BU, blah, blah, blah. Did you see anthing in the post about the protest?

It's just too complex for your feeble mind, so let the grownups talk about it and let it go before your last brain cell implodes.

Guest Guest
You obviously can't comprehend this thread, don't hurt yourself trying!!!

The thread was aimed at all the posts over the last few days about how we don't need BU, blah, blah, blah. Did you see anthing in the post about the protest?

It's just too complex for your feeble mind, so let the grownups talk about it and let it go before your last brain cell implodes.

Why do you think the statement "we don't need BU" started in the first place? DELETED

@

Guest Guest
Why do you think the statement "we don't need BU" started in the first place? DELETED

@

Notice who started the insults in this thread, it's not hard to see the huge bold colored letters. Oh wait, but then your little comeback wouldn't make any sense, now would it? Again, don't hurt yourself. Next time think BEFORE trying to be sly, because now you just look like an idiot!

@

Guest Mohamid Momier

Is that why they all come to BC where our school is to get their education? There are many local students that get their education here to. So, outside of broome county is not the only pool of students. So, I think it's the cheap parents of the rich kids who need BC! Also, although our local economy isn't the greatest at this present time, it will change. You know why? Because we have a lot of spoiled rich kids cheap parents willing to pay for their great education. Not to mention that this area is a great place to live while their learning. So it will improve. But, they will keep coming wheather or not who needs who.

@

Guest Guest

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't cost lockheed any more $$$ to hire a kid from Texas as it does BU. A plane ticket? A few bucks for relocation? Nothing. They could make make the BU campus into a super k-mart and it wouldn't affect LM or BAE in the slightest. There are many many good reasons to have BU around, but "jobs at LM" isn't one of them. And those protesters were still idiots. I would have ran them over. But that's just how I am.

Guest Guest
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't cost lockheed any more $$$ to hire a kid from Texas as it does BU. A plane ticket? A few bucks for relocation? Nothing. They could make make the BU campus into a super k-mart and it wouldn't affect LM or BAE in the slightest. There are many many good reasons to have BU around, but "jobs at LM" isn't one of them.

You are one of the many who just don't see the big picture!

1. Do you think the recruiters at LM can just waltz down to Texas and get kids to move to abandoned upstate NY? NO!!! It's just not that easy.

2. If the kids want to work for LM, the Owego people have to out-recruit the LM managers who are already in Texes. Think that's easy?

3. The caliber of students that LM targets are also being courted by other companies who are not in abandoned upstate NY.

4. etc, etc, etc...

Fact is BU is the number one employer in the area. They greatly affect this entire area. Sure there may be some problems with some of the kids there but for the most part BU is a positive impact on the region. Sure you may not like the idea but the seasonal changes with the students can readily be seen with the economy of this region. Due to numerous reasons including fuel, energy, off shoring and other costs you'll never see this area build up as it once was so f I were you , I'd consider BU a blessing. Like it or not. B)

@

actually, BU employs nobody. NY STATE employs those people. i agree, tax dollars well spent, with a few exceptions. that being said, the protesters broke the law. they must pay the piper. it certainly is not a crime infested school. students go to help clean streets, help charities and other good causes. some are obnoxious. so are some broome county residents. all in all, i think they should cut their budget some, but BU is a blessing to this area.

@

Wouldn't it be great if all BU property could be put back on the tax rolls?

AMEN, that would be the right thing to do. What these Skippys & Muffys have to realize is that while the are here in OUR area, they must abide by our rules. They are at BU to get an education, not whine & moan about something that they can't do anything about. If they don't want to follow the rules that are for everyone & instead they prefer to become a safety hazard to others, then they've done the crime, thry can do the time, then hit the road out.

The rules are for EVERYONE, NOT just a few.

@

Both SUNY & BCC are economic assets to the area.

Most of the students are fine young people. There are a few bad apples, just like when we were all in school and not unlike any other college town.

To the person that asserted upstate should seperate from NYC..because we are sending our tax dollars "down there." Do you realize how many tax dollars in the NYS budget come from the financial district of NY City? In fact, our state government is soooooo dependent on those $$, that we are looking at MASSIVE budget shortfalls this year because Wall Street is falling on hard times. It is scary to think how much worse off we would be in upstate if not for the economic boom of the 90's ( that skipped us - but not NY City), and the growth in more recent years (that again skipped us - but not NY City.

To another poster that feels having all that property "on the tax rolls" would be better for the community than having SUNY there: I have to ask - just what would be there in it's place? It is not like we are lacking jobs for want of land to build manufacturing plants on! :rolleyes:

I do have one complaint that involves the colleges. Too often the colleges are used by local developers to advocate projects. If developers want to take a chance (known as RISK in business) and build apartments (they usually call it student housing), they should do it with their own money and pay full taxes. They should not receive tax breaks, utility breaks and other incentives that force rates up for the rest of the community. If they want to be in business, they can invest their own money and pay their fair share. After all, they are not sharing their earnings with the rest of the community.

Binghamton has ample housing available. People need to open their minds. Would you rather have SUNY students living next door, or welfare recipients? Your selection of possible neighbors is getting slimmer with each announcement of job losses, increased taxes and increased cost of services. While some students can pose problems (real problems - not the imagined ones), we have codes and laws to deal with them. Most students are fine neighbors and their money is greener than a voucher from public assistance.

As for the protest...what was the ratio of protesters to the total student population???? I don't think it even amounted to 1/100th of a percent. It is unfair to attack all for the actions of a few...

AMEN, that would be the right thing to do. What these Skippys & Muffys have to realize is that while the are here in OUR area, they must abide by our rules. They are at BU to get an education, not whine & moan about something that they can't do anything about. If they don't want to follow the rules that are for everyone & instead they prefer to become a safety hazard to others, then they've done the crime, thry can do the time, then hit the road out.

The rules are for EVERYONE, NOT just a few.

@

hey dumb and dumber, there's a real good reason BU isn't on the tax rolls. it is a NY state owned property. maybe we could tax ourselves.

@

Archived