Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Posted Friday March 21, 2008

City names interim police chief

Zikuski starting 30th year on force

By Jim Wright

Press & Sun-Bulletin

1 Comment

BINGHAMTON -- Joseph T. Zikuski, a veteran Binghamton Police Bureau administrator, has taken over as police chief with today's retirement of Steven R. Tronovitch. The interim appointment was made by Mayor Matthew T. Ryan.

Tronovitch headed the 148-officer police department for nearly two years.

This will mark the third time Zikuski has served as interim chief. Former Mayor Richard Bucci appointed him when former Chief Joseph Lynch retired and Mayor Ryan appointed him when former Chief John A. Butler retired.

Ryan may select a permanent chief once the New York State Civil Service Commission releases the results of police chief examinations and certifies an eligibility list.

Four officers took the exam on March 8: Assistant Chief Zikuski, Detective Captain Alex J. Minor, internal affairs Capt. David M. Eggleston and patrol Captain William P. Yeager. A fifth Binghamton police administrator, Assistant Chief William R. Cahill, signed up to take the exam, but instead announced he would retire April 4.

Ryan must appoint from the certified list if it contains three names. Should there be less than three names, he could appoint from the list or select someone who is not on the list. If the person selected is not on the list, he would have to take and pass the police chief examination when it is given in March 2009.

Zikuski served slightly more than two months the first time he was named interim chief and just less than two months the second time. In both cases, there was an established list when the interim appointment was made.

Zikuski is starting his 30th year with the Binghamton Police Bureau. He was sworn in as a patrolman on March 17, 1979. He has served as one of the bureau's two assistant chiefs since 1994. Cahill has been the other assistant chief, serving since 1992.

The bureau includes a patrol and detective division, an identification unit, juvenile division, warrant unit, K-9 unit, SWAT Team, Community Response Team, Crime Prevention Unit, Traffic Division and Special Investigation Unit.

STORY CHAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One wonders if Interim Chief Zikuski will be the Binghamton Police Department's last if Mayor Matthew T. Ryan gets his way and disolves the department into the Sherfif's Department as Ryan wants to do when crime is skyrocketing in Binghamton.

We can also wonder why, after giving away the farm to Civil Servants, Teamsters and Firefighters, Ryan has refused for two years to sign a contract with police?

Is it because Mayor Ryan personally dislikes the police, the same police that at least four times have had to respond to 911 calls from women he frightened? Those would be Ms. Fleury (1999), Brightwell (2003) and Meyerhoff (1997, wice). It was the Sheriff's department that arrested Ryan in 2005 when he frightened Josephine Burrell.

Best of luck, Chief. Don't let the Mayor and his radical assistant Abdelazim get to you and your men.

Guest Guest

By Jim Wright

Press & Sun-Bulletin

1 Comment

BINGHAMTON -- Joseph T. Zikuski, a veteran Binghamton Police Bureau administrator, has taken over as police chief with today's retirement of Steven R. Tronovitch. The interim appointment was made by Mayor Matthew T. Ryan.

This will mark the third time Zikuski has served as interim chief. Former Mayor Richard Bucci appointed him when former Chief Joseph Lynch retired and Mayor Ryan appointed him when former Chief John A. Butler retired.

Ryan may select a permanent chief once the New York State Civil Service Commission releases the results of police chief examinations and certifies an eligibility list.

Four officers took the exam on March 8: Assistant Chief Zikuski, Detective Captain Alex J. Minor, internal affairs Capt. David M. Eggleston and patrol Captain William P. Yeager. A fifth Binghamton police administrator, Assistant Chief William R. Cahill, signed up to take the exam, but instead announced he would retire April 4.

Ryan must appoint from the certified list if it contains three names. Should there be less than three names, he could appoint from the list or select someone who is not on the list. If the person selected is not on the list, he would have to take and pass the police chief examination when it is given in March 2009.

Zikuski served slightly more than two months the first time he was named interim chief and just less than two months the second time. In both cases, there was an established list when the interim appointment was made.

Zikuski is starting his 30th year with the Binghamton Police Bureau. He was sworn in as a patrolman on March 17, 1979. He has served as one of the bureau's two assistant chiefs since 1994. Cahill has been the other assistant chief, serving since 1992.

The bureau includes a patrol and detective division, an identification unit, juvenile division, warrant unit, K-9 unit, SWAT Team, Community Response Team, Crime Prevention Unit, Traffic Division and Special Investigation Unit.

STORY CHAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One wonders if Interim Chief Zikuski will be the Binghamton Police Department's last if Mayor Matthew T. Ryan gets his way and disolves the department into the Sherfif's Department as Ryan wants to do when crime is skyrocketing in Binghamton.

We can also wonder why, after giving away the farm to Civil Servants, Teamsters and Firefighters, Ryan has refused for two years to sign a contract with police?

Is it because Mayor Ryan personally dislikes the police, the same police that at least four times have had to respond to 911 calls from women he frightened? Those would be Ms. Fleury (1999), Brightwell (2003) and Meyerhoff (1997, wice). It was the Sheriff's department that arrested Ryan in 2005 when he frightened Josephine Burrell.

Best of luck, Chief. Don't let the Mayor and his radical assistant Abdelazim get to you and your men.

I wonder if his first wife loves him as much as you do.

Guest Guest
as soo called crime skyrockets the sherriffs department and the troopers should take over the police would get promoted to deputies.

what?

Guest The Po Po

By Jim Wright

Press & Sun-Bulletin

1 Comment

STORY CHAT

Donuts

@

Guest Guest
DELETED

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, COPS & DONUTS! YOU MADE A FUNNY! HOW ORIGINAL! YOUR MOMMY IS GONNA BE SO DELETED WHEN SHE FINDS OUT YOU'RE UP PAST YOUR BEDTIME AND USING HER WEB-TV!

Guest Guest
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, COPS & DONUTS! YOU MADE A FUNNY! HOW ORIGINAL! YOUR MOMMY IS GONNA BE SO DELETED WHEN SHE FINDS OUT YOU'RE UP PAST YOUR BEDTIME AND USING HER WEB-TV!

She died and my dad left me. Lived with my grandma til I was 12, then resorted to street life. At my friends house now, back to the streets tomorrow. Just trying to vent. Thanks for judging me. Out in the streets at 13 yet you assume I have it easy. Get real and a reality check!

@

Guest goose
I'll take his current wife!!!!!

His second wife - isn't she the extremely dowdy prostitute-wanna-be - she dresses the part to "work the streets". Can't believe he ever thought she was good lookin. What was he smoking? could it be all the drugs he and his homies confiscate during all the "set ups" he and all of his crooked people initiate?

Look at the guy - he's CROOKED. Does anyone wonder why he hasn't been the chief - only acting? He's dirty. He should resign and get out of binghamton. go away. you're the reason why people think of cops as pigs.....

How many actually think he will be the chief when the list comes out?

I think the real question is "why hasn't he been chief"? Things that make you wonderrrrrrr.

Guest GOOBER ALERT

there all dirt.....if they werent they would have arrested JOS ZIKUSKI along timeago. scary that hes in charge....hwo does he getaway with it? doesn't anyone know him and his DELETED.?? she and the DELETED-i mean cop, set up a sting and those two walked away with the loot! knownfor a fact!

Guest Mrs.Beasley
there all dirt.....if they werent they would have arrested JOS ZIKUSKI along timeago. scary that hes in charge....hwo does he getaway with it? doesn't anyone know him and his DELETED.?? she and the DELETED-i mean cop, set up a sting and those two walked away with the loot! knownfor a fact!

I get the feeling from your wonderfully well crafted post you are either the new governor of New York or you have a serious medical problem. Let me axk ya..hwo do yuo getawuy with being humun

@

Guest Guest

I get the feeling from your wonderfully well crafted post you are either the new governor of New York or you have a serious medical problem. Let me axk ya..hwo do yuo getawuy with being humun

This response was showing that you are not very intelligent yourself. I also know about Zikuski and his wife. I don't have a medical problem and I'm not in politics whatsoever. Must be you are either Zikuski or a close "pal". I believe he needs to be watched and his goings-on need to be a little more scrutinized. By the way, did he lose his house because he was so far into debt? I know he had to sell his house on Riverside....too expensive for him. Now I know the taxpayers are taking pretty good care of him but one wonders why is he moon-lighting - does he have some extravagant spending problem and if so, what could that be on? Would it be drugs or gambling? He's not so angelic. ARE YOU!

Guest Guest

@

By the way, you sound as though you're hanging around the real intelligent ones...."HUMUN" I think you need help to Lisa and Joe!

@

Guest Guest

I graduated from Catholic Central with Joe... Class of 1975. All I can say is that Joe was not a bright bulb! Then again, I guess there is no college degree required for his new post.

@

Archived