Binghamton WiFi

Guest Guest

It's a stupid waste of money. At first it didn't even work in the middle of downtown, but today I'm using it. (inside a building even.) It could be a good idea if they city came up with another way to pay for it. Philadelphia has it city wide, free in parks and public buildings, and $21/mo. otherwise. We obviously don't have enough people here to pay for it with subscriptions like they do there though.

Guest Guest
It's a stupid waste of money. At first it didn't even work in the middle of downtown, but today I'm using it. (inside a building even.) It could be a good idea if they city came up with another way to pay for it. Philadelphia has it city wide, free in parks and public buildings, and $21/mo. otherwise. We obviously don't have enough people here to pay for it with subscriptions like they do there though.

Thank you for a serious post and answer :)

@

I believe Delhi (the whole town, not just the college) has it.

Wolf

Guest Guest
I ate lunch and used the wifi in the Boscov's parking ramp the other day. The Nosh from the Old World Deli was great! The wifi was acceptable.

What is it with you people and parking ramps?

Do you hang out in these cold, dampk, dark places?

Are your trolls?

Do you think people are going to flock to parking ramps to use wifi?

BTW you may remember one of those partially collapsed a while back.

I'd stay out them.

Guest Guest
What about Philly :angry:

Didn't you read the New York Times article link above? Someone mentioned Philadelphia as a successful example of WiFi and we see an article that was just written saying how Earthlink, the company what's supposed to be behind Philadelpia's WiFi, is now saying “the operations of the municipal Wi-Fi assets were no longer consistent with the company’s strategic direction.” They're going to pull out and leave Philly high and WiFi dry.

In other words, WiFi is a losing proposition.. even in big cities.

Guest Guest

The only place muni wifi has a chance is if it is tied to public security (police, fire, ambulance, etc.), even Adjunct Lecturer had that right in his report. But Binghamton's systemihas nothing to do with public security and never will, they already have their own.

Guest Guest
What is it with you people and parking ramps?

Do you hang out in these cold, dampk, dark places?

Are your trolls?

Do you think people are going to flock to parking ramps to use wifi?

BTW you may remember one of those partially collapsed a while back.

I'd stay out them.

Actually, I had a craving for a Nosh from TOWD and the Boscov's ramp was the parking that was available and close. The ramp was actually bright and sunny and the only reason I used the WIFI was to test it out. Guess what....it works. How many people are killed each year in parking ramps compared to the number of people who enter them? I'd say the odds are pretty good that I'll survive my trip.

@

Guest Guest

I think the wifi system is great. I live downtown and it works well. The problem is negative people dont want it to work, so they will have something to complain about. If you dont live and work downtown, then you should not have an opinion on the subject, because you probably never even used the thing. ITs great, it works, and it is a big asset to the downtown.

Guest Guest
I think the wifi system is great. I live downtown and it works well. The problem is negative people dont want it to work, so they will have something to complain about. If you dont live and work downtown, then you should not have an opinion on the subject, because you probably never even used the thing. ITs great, it works, and it is a big asset to the downtown.

Where are you that it works well? I'm at the corner of Court and State, and I have to literally step outside to get a bad signal, which makes it useless.

@

Guest Guest

Well the Binghamton WiFi is not as predicted. Originally they were planning 3 hours a day for free access but when it went online it was cut to 2 hours a day, a 33% loss of available time before anyone got to use it. Unfortunately, with insufficient subscriber base the 2 hours will be cut to one in the future to save costs then the free access will be eliminated altogether and finally it will be closed down altogether by the end of Ryan's term.

Guest Insider!!!

Thaks for posting Tarfreak !!

Guest Guest
Well the Binghamton WiFi is not as predicted. Originally they were planning 3 hours a day for free access but when it went online it was cut to 2 hours a day, a 33% loss of available time before anyone got to use it. Unfortunately, with insufficient subscriber base the 2 hours will be cut to one in the future to save costs then the free access will be eliminated altogether and finally it will be closed down altogether by the end of Ryan's term.

What are you talking about? It's available for free 24/7 for however long you need. Where did you get your false information?

@

Guest a concerned citizen

It works great, if you enjoy being online about five minutes before getting booted off and having to sign in again. I LOVE getting to look at advertisements again and again! The city owes me $3.50 for the breakfast I ate while unsuccessfully trying to check my e-mail.

Guest Guest
It works great, if you enjoy being online about five minutes before getting booted off and having to sign in again. I LOVE getting to look at advertisements again and again! The city owes me $3.50 for the breakfast I ate while unsuccessfully trying to check my e-mail.

That's a good one. The city "owes you" for a meal you would have eaten anyway, but since you couldn't check your email, now my taxes should pay you?

Free tip for the day: Get a job. Any job. Stop leeching off taxpayers. If you gots enuff moneyz to pay fo' da laptop, you should hef some lootz for sumpin else....like...........movin' outta town.

@

What are you talking about? It's available for free 24/7 for however long you need. Where did you get your false information?

Well, it does seem to be true that your free "session" gets interrupted after two hours, but at this point you can still log right back on and continue.

Of course, as usage grows, so does the chance of being "bumped" by a user closer to the hotspot antenna. (This, of course, would be interpreted by City Hall as a "success" because it shows more people are trying to use the service -- as for me, I'd just call it insufficient access points).

That said, though, I must comment that I was in JC earlier this week for a meeting at a restaurant and had my laptop with me. Although I could pull in a couple of unsecured-network wifi signals, neither had adequate speed/throughput like that available in downtown Bingo. Thus, I'll opt for trying to have more restaurant meetings in downtown Bingo if the service continues as it is so far.

JC is "behind the times"!

Well, it does seem to be true that your free "session" gets interrupted after two hours, but at this point you can still log right back on and continue.

Of course, as usage grows, so does the chance of being "bumped" by a user closer to the hotspot antenna. (This, of course, would be interpreted by City Hall as a "success" because it shows more people are trying to use the service -- as for me, I'd just call it insufficient access points).

That said, though, I must comment that I was in JC earlier this week for a meeting at a restaurant and had my laptop with me. Although I could pull in a couple of unsecured-network wifi signals, neither had adequate speed/throughput like that available in downtown Bingo. Thus, I'll opt for trying to have more restaurant meetings in downtown Bingo if the service continues as it is so far.

JC is "behind the times"!

Mr. Wizard, next time you are in the JC area call me and I will give you free access to our high speed wifi. Our neighbors tell me they get the signal even a block away.

You can host you meeting in our space as many already do. It is an excellent location for 10 to 110 people.

@

Archived