All-Metro/Player of the Year Selections

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Every year Kevin Stevens and the Press & Sun-Bulletin award local basketball players by naming them to the "All-Metro" team. I think they did a decent job this year. Here's my question.

How could they name Jack Keough for Player of the Year, when twice he was ticketed for possesion of marijuana? True story. His junior year he had D1 material, but colleges looked away after his problems with the law. It might be the story behind the story. Also remember that brawl in the Owego versus Elmira Southside game in the sectional playoffs? His own teammates claimed that it was Keough's hot head and his lack of basketball IQ that started the altercation and eventually lost them the game and caused an embarrassing spectacle for Owego Free Academy. Does anyone else find this interesting?

My selection:

The guy who's team made it the furthest of any Section 4 team to the Final Four in Glens Falls, scored 1,000 points, averaged 17.8 points per game, played with sportsmanship, and is a good guy on and off the court. Chenango Valley's Matt Mullins. Anyone that has seen him play understands the impact he has on the game.

They didn't want coach of the year and player of the year to come from the same school. Zanot got coach of the year so Keough got it.

I understand you want to be fair to everyone, but Kevin. Bad decision this year.

Guest Guest
Every year Kevin Stevens and the Press & Sun-Bulletin award local basketball players by naming them to the "All-Metro" team. I think they did a decent job this year. Here's my question.

How could they name Jack Keough for Player of the Year, when twice he was ticketed for possesion of marijuana? True story. His junior year he had D1 material, but colleges looked away after his problems with the law. It might be the story behind the story. Also remember that brawl in the Owego versus Elmira Southside game in the sectional playoffs? His own teammates claimed that it was Keough's hot head and his lack of basketball IQ that started the altercation and eventually lost them the game and caused an embarrassing spectacle for Owego Free Academy. Does anyone else find this interesting?

My selection:

The guy who's team made it the furthest of any Section 4 team to the Final Four in Glens Falls, scored 1,000 points, averaged 17.8 points per game, played with sportsmanship, and is a good guy on and off the court. Chenango Valley's Matt Mullins. Anyone that has seen him play understands the impact he has on the game.

They didn't want coach of the year and player of the year to come from the same school. Zanot got coach of the year so Keough got it.

I understand you want to be fair to everyone, but Kevin. Bad decision this year.

Keough was not even involved in the Southside incident so get your facts straight. You would not have an all metro team of 5 guys if you took off all the guys who smoke pot. The all metro team is a joke, coach of the year is a joke, press and sun is a joke, kevin stephens is a joke.

Guest Guest

Mullins really is the player of the year 100%. Where was O'Brien on the All-Metro team? Oneonta did well this year. 3 guys from Binghamton, thats not right. It's not the best choices thats for sure. Getting caught with marijuana or anything like that should automatically suspend someone from getting honored. Kevin Stevens needs to look into his choices a little more. Where did Owego go? Nowhere. Mullins led CV to the Final Four...big time.

Guest Guest

Talk about a joke. Coach Jayne from Seton after winning Stac's, Section 4 and making it to the final 4 is not coach of the

year. What is the criteria? Congrats to Tioga for their first section 4 title, but what are you thinking. Bonaparte does not have a clue. Look at the stats.

Guest Guest

Congrats to zanot on the coach of the year. He's a nice guy. I'm sure CV fans are upset on the Player of the Year Award, and it's a tossup between Mullins of Keough. If this marijuana thing is true (which it is), Mullins deserves it. Mullins is a big part of what chenango valley did this year. congratulations to the CV warriors

Guest Guest
Talk about a joke. Coach Jayne from Seton after winning Stac's, Section 4 and making it to the final 4 is not coach of the

year. What is the criteria? Congrats to Tioga for their first section 4 title, but what are you thinking. Bonaparte does not have a clue. Look at the stats.

agreed. the seton girls were THE TEAM this year

Guest Guest

When I read the selection, I thought it was a joke. Three players from Binghamton? You have got to be kidding me. Very poor selection this year. The kid from Windsor was maybe their third best player. I guess when it is Stevens selecting, what do you expect?

Guest The Real Sports Mind

My selection:

OHHHH WOW, here is an original thought by you. Sounds like alot of crying to me. Be a man and realize Mullins is overrated and Keough is hands down the unanimous player of the year.

Stop whining.

Guest The real sports mind
Congrats to zanot on the coach of the year. He's a nice guy. I'm sure CV fans are upset on the Player of the Year Award, and it's a tossup between Mullins of Keough. If this marijuana thing is true (which it is), Mullins deserves it. Mullins is a big part of what chenango valley did this year. congratulations to the CV warriors

CV = overrated

Mullins = overrated

Zanot = terrible coach for letting mullins be so disrespectful to authority

You = cry baby, ohhhhhhh , mullins deserved it, what a crock of sh&&.

Guest Yellowjacket

I can only assume Dan O'Brien was not part of the team because the selections were limited to the Binghamton Press and Sun-Bulletin's circulation area. OB's stats were better than others that made the team, and could have been better if he looked to score more. He didn't. He got everybody on his team involved in the offense, played exceptional team defense, and won Sec. IV A. Players from Seton, Windsor, OWEGO, and CV should be happy Oneonta got bumped up to A. The only team the Yellowjackets have been unable to beat in STAC is Binghamton. The Dougherty kid graduates this year, and all that happy teamwork the 3 guards had goes with him. Mullins, Keogh, and Furner already know what their up against in Oneonta.

Guest Guest
I can only assume Dan O'Brien was not part of the team because the selections were limited to the Binghamton Press and Sun-Bulletin's circulation area. OB's stats were better than others that made the team, and could have been better if he looked to score more. He didn't. He got everybody on his team involved in the offense, played exceptional team defense, and won Sec. IV A. Players from Seton, Windsor, OWEGO, and CV should be happy Oneonta got bumped up to A. The only team the Yellowjackets have been unable to beat in STAC is Binghamton. The Dougherty kid graduates this year, and all that happy teamwork the 3 guards had goes with him. Mullins, Keogh, and Furner already know what their up against in Oneonta.

you seem to forget the STOP-DWI game where CV beat Oneonta...mullins shined...but obrien does deserve to be on the team

Guest Dr. Wong
you seem to forget the STOP-DWI game where CV beat Oneonta...mullins shined...but obrien does deserve to be on the team

That is the funniest thing I have heard in 10 years. I needed a good laugh today, thanks buddy.

Guest Guest

This from chenango valley's warrior report (www.warriorreport.com)

"The Chenango Valley Warriors beat the Oneonta Yellowjackets 68-58 OT in the regional Division I semi-finals in the 2007 STOP-DWI Holiday Classic. Mullins led the Warriors with a season high 25 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists. Chenango Valley finished off an overtime victory after the scored was tied 54-54 at the end of regulation after a Dan O’Brien 3-pointer with 10 seconds left for Oneonta."

25 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists....I'd call that a good game.

Guest Guest

I disagree with some of the comments. If this is the All Metro nice guy team, then Ok, but if it is about basketball, then let it BE about basketball, agreed?

Personally, I would not have chosen Furner, and I would have included O'Brien and the big man from Oneonta....can't think of his name right now.

When does the Stars and Stripes team roster come out, anyone know?

Guest john wooden
I remember...the big guy is Brendon Harder.

Who did not even make all conference or all division (which is picked by the coaches)

Guest Guest
Mullins really is the player of the year 100%. Where was O'Brien on the All-Metro team? Oneonta did well this year. 3 guys from Binghamton, thats not right. It's not the best choices thats for sure. Getting caught with marijuana or anything like that should automatically suspend someone from getting honored. Kevin Stevens needs to look into his choices a little more. Where did Owego go? Nowhere. Mullins led CV to the Final Four...big time.

Mullins certainly a good player...but was not the only player on the CV team and was not the only player to get them to the final 4 this year. Give the other teammates some credit and all of the other players in the league who didn't have weekly press coverage. Great kid...seems to be, perfect I'm sure not. Just because someone says another player's involved or may have been involved in something doesn't mean he's a bad basketball player. How do we know what Matt Mullins has done or not done. Jack K. has been on Varsity for 4 yrs. and has equally worked his tail off in a sport he loves. Jack was under the radar all season and still out performed and outscored his opponent. Enough said.

Guest Guest
I disagree with some of the comments. If this is the All Metro nice guy team, then Ok, but if it is about basketball, then let it BE about basketball, agreed?

Personally, I would not have chosen Furner, and I would have included O'Brien and the big man from Oneonta....can't think of his name right now.

When does the Stars and Stripes team roster come out, anyone know?

They've been chosen already. The first game is Thurs. 3/27 6:00 at Davis College.

Guest Guest

You'll find that CV will carry on just fine next year with Fox, Hull and I think it was Patterson. Give Mack and Bobal and Bidwell some credit .....there is no one person in team!

@

Guest Dr. Z

Well, I guess thats why you do not work at the Press and Sun.

Archived