It must be against the law on bc voice

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I guess it must be against the law here on bc voice to post any good news about downtown. There was a thread yesterday about Lane construction moving 40 jobs downtown, adding to the increased number of businesses moving there - more people working there, living there - but it was deleted.

We want no good news posted on downtown. Only complaints, unsubstantiated rumors and anecdotal stories about it's demise will be accepted here. The truth be damned - we want only bad news here.

Guest Guest
I guess it must be against the law here on bc voice to post any good news about downtown. There was a thread yesterday about Lane construction moving 40 jobs downtown, adding to the increased number of businesses moving there - more people working there, living there - but it was deleted.

We want no good news posted on downtown. Only complaints, unsubstantiated rumors and anecdotal stories about it's demise will be accepted here. The truth be damned - we want only bad news here.

You must be a plant for Matt Ryan's Administration!!! Ever walk on the sidewalks downtown... you are approached by panhandlers and drug dealers!!!

Guest Guest

Why not discuss the failing of Citizen Action's Daphine Gathers working at City Hall who lost Our FEMA money to repair the Water Filtration Facility hence the 42% water increase! :angry:

I don't see any rebutal on that issue or defending yourself's in any way! :blink:

Your a bunch of SCREWUPS!! :lol:

Guest Guest
You must be a plant for Matt Ryan's Administration!!! Ever walk on the sidewalks downtown... you are approached by panhandlers and drug dealers!!!

I am happy to see that you understand the difference between empirical evidence and actual evidence.

You also seem to think that anyone that says anything good about downtown or states that anything good is happening downtown must be someone working for the mayor or a supporter of his. I happen to be neither. In fact, I do not believe he has been a good mayor. If I hear him talk of another DELETED "summit" or "meeting" or community meeting" or a "study" on anything I am going to scream!! It is time to stop talking and "do" mr Mayor. Let's top the summits and actually do things!

That being said, it does not mean that some things have happened that are good - and I am not even saying he had anything to do with it. It just so happens that downtown actually does have more people living there than when he took over - there actually are more businesses there than when he took over and there are by far more people working there than before he tood office. You may not like that - it may not fit into your negative myopic view of the world, but it is the case.

Guest Guest
Why not discuss the failing of Citizen Action's Daphine Gathers working at City Hall who lost Our FEMA money to repair the Water Filtration Facility hence the 42% water increase! :angry:

I don't see any rebutal on that issue or defending yourself's in any way! :blink:

Your a bunch of SCREWUPS!! :lol:

If that in fact happened - I would be the first in line to complain about it. You somehow believe that if one thing is true, bad and wrong - then everything must be true bad and wrong. That simply is not so. For example - just because you barely graduated from high school, does not men your teachers were bad, it just means you were stupid. It does not mean that everyone had a a hard time graduating - only you did, becuase you were stupid.

Guest Guest

If that's what you think then stay in the suburbs DELETED. Maybe in your 6 o'clock news fueled paranoia, everybody's a drug dealer or thug that doesn't look just like you, but the reality is DRUG DEALERS DON'T APPROACH ANYONE!! People find them. As for panhandlers, go to any city and report back to me on how many are there.

Guest Guest

The problem is you're always touting an increased amount of business moving downtown but you never post a list of business actually doing it. Other than Lane Construction moving downtown, who else is moving there? IMHO, I can't see Lane moving downtown. Is there an article or proof that they are?

Guest Guest

I was in JC the other day and a guy asked me for a dollar then tried to sell me crack. He was talented in the street department ......But , he forgot to take the crust off the bread ( imatation crack) . So , I asked him if crack was brown and he ran down Main St. :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Guest
The problem is you're always touting an increased amount of business moving downtown but you never post a list of business actually doing it. Other than Lane Construction moving downtown, who else is moving there? IMHO, I can't see Lane moving downtown. Is there an article or proof that they are?

Actually, I have posted the list and the numbers as well. You saw it - everyone saw it. I am not going to go back and look this information up evrytime one of you yahoos decide that I should post it again. Either you live in an alternate universe or y9ou simply can not remember day to day, but I have posted the numbers and sources on here many times.

@

Guest Guest
Actually, I have posted the list and the numbers as well. You saw it - everyone saw it. I am not going to go back and look this information up evrytime one of you yahoos decide that I should post it again. Either you live in an alternate universe or y9ou simply can not remember day to day, but I have posted the numbers and sources on here many times.

I didn't see it. I don't read EVERY thread on this board. Geez. What's this crap about numbers and sources? I asked a simple question - WHAT BUSINESSES HAVE MOVED DOWNTOWN? If you can't answer it, it's because you're full of crap! No businesses are moving downtown.

Guest Guest
I didn't see it. I don't read EVERY thread on this board. Geez. What's this crap about numbers and sources? I asked a simple question - WHAT BUSINESSES HAVE MOVED DOWNTOWN? If you can't answer it, it's because you're full of crap! No businesses are moving downtown.

yea, I guess 40 jobs from lanes and 50 from mirabito are nothing - not to mention all the others.

sorrry you have not seen the list of businesses and the complete numbers of jobs and increased number of people lving there - so it goes. read more - post less as they say.

Guest Guest
If that's what you think then stay in the suburbs DELETED. Maybe in your 6 o'clock news fueled paranoia, everybody's a drug dealer or thug that doesn't look just like you, but the reality is DRUG DEALERS DON'T APPROACH ANYONE!! People find them. As for panhandlers, go to any city and report back to me on how many are there.

Either you know nothing about this topic, or you actually do drugs and are speaking from experience.

I think it's the former.

In fact, I do know that a street dealer will approach someone if they feel like that person is a safe target. They'll say "hi" at the very least to start a chat. Most often they'll let the target ask first if they know where to score. Once in awhile the dealer will say something like "you lookin?" as a way to signal he's dealing in either drugs or hookers. By saying only that, he's keeping it vague enough that he can't be arrested for solicitation, as long as he isnt' the first one to mention a drug by name.

You're not very street smart, are you?

And because other cities have panhandlers, it's ok that we have them, too?

What I want to know is, why would anyone be walking downtown in the first place?

There's a few galleries and a bakery there. Anything else, like Subway, you can get any number of other places.

I haven't "shopped" downtown in a few years, and I've lived here all my 40+ years. There's nothing to go for, and I'd rather not have to deal with not feeling safe while shopping.

Guest Guest
yea, I guess 40 jobs from lanes and 50 from mirabito are nothing - not to mention all the others.

sorrry you have not seen the list of businesses and the complete numbers of jobs and increased number of people lving there - so it goes. read more - post less as they say.

The last thing I want to do is read more of your drivel. Jerk.

@

Guest guest

Geeze, all the OP did was ask why the topic was deleted and everyone jumps in with their unbiased, unsolicited opinions on Matt Ryan and Downtown Binghamton. But like a lot of topics and posts on this board, they get deleted quite often. Mostly if you are not one of their clique and in agreement with every DELETED thing they say.

@

Guest Guest
Either you know nothing about this topic, or you actually do drugs and are speaking from experience.

I think it's the former.

In fact, I do know that a street dealer will approach someone if they feel like that person is a safe target. They'll say "hi" at the very least to start a chat. Most often they'll let the target ask first if they know where to score. Once in awhile the dealer will say something like "you lookin?" as a way to signal he's dealing in either drugs or hookers. By saying only that, he's keeping it vague enough that he can't be arrested for solicitation, as long as he isnt' the first one to mention a drug by name.

You're not very street smart, are you?

And because other cities have panhandlers, it's ok that we have them, too?

What I want to know is, why would anyone be walking downtown in the first place?

There's a few galleries and a bakery there. Anything else, like Subway, you can get any number of other places.

I haven't "shopped" downtown in a few years, and I've lived here all my 40+ years. There's nothing to go for, and I'd rather not have to deal with not feeling safe while shopping.

Street Smart? F you. I would walk any street downtown at any hour of the day. I've been downtown at all hours, and I have never been approached by a person asking "you looking?". In fact, that is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Seriously, watch a little less TV and live a little more. Why would anyone be walking downtown? Well, I work there during the day, and sometimes I will come back at night to meet up with friends. Just because it's out of your comfort zone doesn't make it unsafe.

Guest Guest
Aren't the Lane jobs going into a business that closed?

A business whos employees moved across the street - all six of them. they are being replaced aby 40 from Lane. Now I know you want things to be bad, but you dont have to make stuff up in order to make it look that way.

@

Guest Guest

That's what you think DELETED. I got approached many times by dealers. Get real ...... :blink:

Guest Guest

and because of that (although we dont believe you - lets just pretend ofr a moment we do) - does that mean that it is not true that more people work downtown now than when Ryan took over? that move people live downtown? that more businesses are located downtown?

What are you - one of those guys that thinks that because you have two inches of snow in your backyard - that global warming could not possibly exist? meaning that your own experience is the only experience you take into account to base facts on?

Guest Guest
That's what you think DELETED. I got approached many times by dealers. Get real ...... :blink:

Sure you did.

I think the proper insult would be DELETED. With a b, like how dumb is spelled.

Guest Guest

Just because they know you doesn't mean they'll approach us.

Guest Guest
I am happy to see that you understand the difference between empirical evidence and actual evidence.

You also seem to think that anyone that says anything good about downtown or states that anything good is happening downtown must be someone working for the mayor or a supporter of his. I happen to be neither. In fact, I do not believe he has been a good mayor. If I hear him talk of another DELETED "summit" or "meeting" or community meeting" or a "study" on anything I am going to scream!! It is time to stop talking and "do" mr Mayor. Let's top the summits and actually do things!

That being said, it does not mean that some things have happened that are good - and I am not even saying he had anything to do with it. It just so happens that downtown actually does have more people living there than when he took over - there actually are more businesses there than when he took over and there are by far more people working there than before he tood office. You may not like that - it may not fit into your negative myopic view of the world, but it is the case.

Nobody said it wasn't "good" that there are jobs coming downtown.

I simply would remind everyone that in the big scheme of things....downtown has a looooooooooooooooong way to go to make up for the job losses, store closings and empty storefronts.

In fact, the Lane Construction jobs represent a miniscule (at best) increase due to the fact that the article in the paper reporting the Lane move into the Smyk building mentioned that Smyk was closing his law firm....one might argue therefore that in all likelihood, those Smyk employed at the firm could end up losing their jobs....so the increase in downtown employment isn't all that big (if there is any at all)

That's not to say that it isn't a "good thing"....of course it is...but the idea that Ryan characterized the Lane move as "evidence" of downtown's rebirth and revival is totally asinine and absurd.

Earlier in the week, Ryan was trying to justify the 42 percent increase in water rates by claiming he had no choice because the city continues to lose population.

Ryan can't have it both ways.....it defies all logic to insist your city is undergoing a rebirth and renaissance and revival while at the same time the city continues to lose population.

Guest Guest

There isn't a single socio-economic indicator to suggest that there are more people living and working in downtown than there were 2 years ago.

If there is one...please cite it.

Guest Guest
Just because they know you doesn't mean they'll approach us.

They approach cops and you don't know your DELETED from hole in the ground..........

Guest Guest

40 from lane and 50 from mirabito are OK....but they don't come close to replacing the 100's lost from Home Insurance, Doron, BSB, Novel, Morgan Stanley, Coughlin and Gerhart, and others.

Archived