Reason's Bingo is Suffering

Guest Stored Potential?

Guest Guest

The city may have already been suffering before Matt Ryan took office, but the whole point of electing someone new as mayor was to reverse this suffering. If anything, he has only hastened Binghamton's ultimate demise. Especially with..

- Too much government

The number of government employees per citizen is too high. People are leaving the area, the government positions continue to increase, and those remaining are stuck with the bill for the increasing salaries and benefits.

One of the main reasons Binghamton and Broome county as a whole is suffering is the cost of doing business here. Why would any company come here when we have the highest utility cost in the country. NYSEG is killing the economy. If we had lower costs for gas and electric more businesses would want to be here, taxes theorecticaly should go down also because the towns would be paying less for the street lights, municipal buildings heat/lighting ect. Its really sad that my NYSEG bill for my home is as much as my mortage payment. Homes in Myrtle Beach SC, which are ALL ELECTRIC mainly, have bills of $50 to $80 per month, even with the AC on 24/7 during the summer months. Binghamton has a great oppurtunity with the gas electric plant on Clinton ST. The city could purchase the plant, we could get the gas locally from all the wells that are starting to go in all over, and then we could have our own municipal electric. I would gladly pay the same rate for the next few years to Binghamton so that they could subsidize the cost of the changeover knowing that 2 to 3 years down the road our utility bills would be drastically less. Whitney Point could do the same thing with the dam they have up on the lake. Turn that into a hydro dam and have there own electric. Parts of Endicott have municipal electric and Greene also has it. Why can't the rest of us. Why should we pay these outragious utility bills when 90% is going to pay execs at NYSEG super inflatted salories. Don't get me wrong, there are people at NYSEG that work hard and deserve to paid a good salarie. Take the guys on the road fixing the lines in storms and black outs. Those people deserve to be taken care of. The people who sit on there butt all day in the office answering phones for $50000.00+ a year is a little out of line. Execs in the Kirkwood office who pull 6 figures a year, what are they doing for us, the people.... NOTHING!! Anything we can do to get NYSEG out of NY will be the best thing for everyone, businesses and homes alike. We can't depend on our mayors, councilmen ect. Half of them get "donations" from groups that have "interest" in NYSEG and the other half is afraid to stand up for the people and try to fight "Corporate America". We the people need to get together as a huge group and take our fight to the county then to the state to make our voices heard!

Guest Guest

The problems of the rust belt have spread. We live in an area that was all about industry in a country where industry is no longer king. Face it, we are a service economy and this area needs to transform. All other things being equal... a business will choose someplace in alabama or mississippi over Binghamton NY because of weather.

And Buffalo's dismal weather didn't help. January temperatures are one of the best predictors of urban success over the last half-century, with colder climes losing out - and Buffalo isn't just cold during the winter: blizzards regularly shut the city down completely. The invention of air conditioners and certain public health advances made warmer states even more alluring. Edward L. Glaeser- Professor of Economics-Harvard University

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_4_buffalo_ny.html

Guest Guest
High taxes

Corruption on all levels

Ignorance

The unwillingness to change or consider new ideas

Bigotry

Unfriendliness

No culture

@

The above are all good examples. In order to make positive change I think we need to clean house from the top down. Clear out all the career politicians in Washington DC, Albany and well as the Southern Tier Counties who have spent the past dozen plus years living off the dole (they obviously haven't helped) and get some of our business leaders (they obviously know how to build something and work within a budget) in place to make positive change.

Remember in November, "No Incumbants!"

Guest Guest

In a nutshell.

Too many people who were part of the boom years in places of power. They are either too afraid or too stupid to think outside the box, streamline local government and embrace new economic generators (SUNY, etc). Reduce redundant Government layers, cut costs, lower taxes and work toward becoming a service economy.

Guest Leaning towards Guiliani
Why do you feel Binghamton is suffering economically? I've been to many places and people tell me all the time Binghamton has nothing but stored potential and has the capability to be thriving. What is holding this area back?

I heard Binghamton was a place to drop off immigrants after a war. If thats the case what seems to be holding this place back is the system known as welfare. When you go to the store who usually brings in the WIC checks? I'll tell you, people that can't even speak fuckin english. The problem with Binghamton in general is were taking the scum that Guiliani kicked out of NYC. Why the hell do you think NJ hates us so much? Because NYC caused a huge influx of crime and welfare to leave the area all at once. Some made their way upstate, others to Philly, and most went to NJ. Isn't it ironic Philly is the murder capital of the US. Also Camden, Newark, and Trenton NJ aren't very desirable places to live (all within 1-2 hours of NYC). I blame most of upstates economic downfall on Guiliani. Guiliani claims to have solved the problems of NYC, but only ended up placing the problems on the areas surrounding!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
I heard Binghamton was a place to drop off immigrants after a war. If thats the case what seems to be holding this place back is the system known as welfare. When you go to the store who usually brings in the WIC checks? I'll tell you, people that can't even speak fuckin english. The problem with Binghamton in general is were taking the scum that Guiliani kicked out of NYC. Why the hell do you think NJ hates us so much? Because NYC caused a huge influx of crime and welfare to leave the area all at once. Some made their way upstate, others to Philly, and most went to NJ. Isn't it ironic Philly is the murder capital of the US. Also Camden, Newark, and Trenton NJ aren't very desirable places to live (all within 1-2 hours of NYC). I blame most of upstates economic downfall on Guiliani. Guiliani claims to have solved the problems of NYC, but only ended up placing the problems on the areas surrounding!!!!!!!!!!!!

We lost a lot of good paying manufacturing jobs in the 80's and 90's which were really the base of our local economy. THAT is mostly what has led to our current state. Combine that with the fact that most of our kids move out of town to attend college and then to live, and we have an aging community interspersed with the big city influx.

The poor people and criminals are adding to our problems, but they are not the root cause of our economic downturn over the last 30+ years.

Guest Guest
The problems of the rust belt have spread. We live in an area that was all about industry in a country where industry is no longer king. Face it, we are a service economy and this area needs to transform. All other things being equal... a business will choose someplace in alabama or mississippi over Binghamton NY because of weather.

And Buffalo's dismal weather didn't help. January temperatures are one of the best predictors of urban success over the last half-century, with colder climes losing out - and Buffalo isn't just cold during the winter: blizzards regularly shut the city down completely. The invention of air conditioners and certain public health advances made warmer states even more alluring. Edward L. Glaeser- Professor of Economics-Harvard University

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_4_buffalo_ny.html

What exactly does our economy service, pray tell?

Guest truth
High taxes

Corruption on all levels

Ignorance

The unwillingness to change or consider new ideas

Bigotry

Unfriendliness

No culture

@

Need to add lack of consolidation

Drugs everywhere especially HEROIN

low lifes

no jobs that pay

no hope for the future

Sen. Libous

Guest Guest
What exactly does our economy service, pray tell?

I think they were saying we need to become a service economy. Which is certainly possible and no all that far fetched.

Guest Guest
Need to add lack of consolidation

Drugs everywhere especially HEROIN

low lifes

no jobs that pay

no hope for the future

Sen. Libous

Gee Whiz Truth, are you sure there is no hope?

Guest end corruption now
A dearth of parades, fireworks, Communication Directors and Yoof Cownzlers is the cause of our downfall.

@

the top 20 reasons why binghamton is going to hell

1. a corrupted mayor

2. a weak minor leauge baseball team who trys to impresse the public change the farmteam to a yankkes affliate then you will see wins and revune

3. weak radio stations playing the same crap 24-7 and a radio show host who compares Binghamton to Niagria Falls look Tony we are tired of your comparisons of Binghamton and Nigria Falls i mean i dont mind you do that but every single time its driving people nuts

4. Time Warner and NYSEG Corruption break them apart under the rico statues

5. the high water bills

6. the stupid term of "yoof" "Couszlers"

7. gay pride month

8. driving out john solak and steve garlock off public access

9. the acceptence of a corrupted city council

10. the loss of population of people

11. the binghamton high school adminstration

12. the corruption in broome county legeslatiors and excetive

13. the failuer of Binghamton Univeristy

14. the quality of life is in the mists of depresson era status

15. the high rempant of drug users

16. SEX OFFENDER SCUM!

17. lthe city accepting kick backs from Newman developments

18. the arkle clan giant stores are dirty and disgusting

19. the shutting down of restraunts

20. the city of binghamton is not safe at night

Guest Guest

All other things being equal... a business will choose someplace in alabama or mississippi over Binghamton NY because of weather.

Not necessarily. Businesses use other criteria, too, such as the depth of a skilled, local labor force from which to draw workers. It's cheaper to hire locally than move people in from other states.

Decent housing, safe streets and good schools are a draw. It's easier to convince people to stay or to move here if those are available.

Guest Guest

Zero new suburban construction aimed at middle class families.

I dare anyone to go anywhere in Broome County and find a development with decent 3-4 bedroom houses built within the last 10 years.

Guest Guest
Zero new suburban construction aimed at middle class families.

I dare anyone to go anywhere in Broome County and find a development with decent 3-4 bedroom houses built within the last 10 years.

Sorry, Make that within the last 10 years, priced $125,000 to $200,000.

Guest Guest
All other things being equal... a business will choose someplace in alabama or mississippi over Binghamton NY because of weather.

Not necessarily. Businesses use other criteria, too, such as the depth of a skilled, local labor force from which to draw workers. It's cheaper to hire locally than move people in from other states.

Decent housing, safe streets and good schools are a draw. It's easier to convince people to stay or to move here if those are available.

Well we used to have a skilled workforce. If you'll take note a skilled workforce doesn't have any problems moving to where the work is. If you'll check our population loss you'll find proof of this. By far the main draw for business is low taxes and energy costs. One thing that the area does have going for it is transportation, for the time being anyway.

@

Archived