Reason's Bingo is Suffering

Guest Stored Potential?

Guest Stored Potential?

Why do you feel Binghamton is suffering economically? I've been to many places and people tell me all the time Binghamton has nothing but stored potential and has the capability to be thriving. What is holding this area back?

Guest Guest
Why do you feel Binghamton is suffering economically? I've been to many places and people tell me all the time Binghamton has nothing but stored potential and has the capability to be thriving. What is holding this area back?

Matt Ryan

Do you mean the City of Binghamton or Broome County all together?

Guest Guest
Do you mean the City of Binghamton or Broome County all together?

Either or. The surrounding areas are doing alright, but Binghamton seems to be taking the biggest blow

Guest Stop the Madness!!

The local politicians Matt Ryan, Tom Libous, Former County Executive Tim Grippen insisit on turning Binghamton into the Sex Offender Capital and they have succeded!!!

Guest Guest
Loss of US Gov't "defense" work.

No, BAE has a $5,000 finders fee to employees who bring in a good candidate.

Lockheed-Martin is doing good.

The root cause is:

High taxes, high utilities and high Workman's Comp.

It is obvious because they always use tax incentives to try to get businesses to come here, so it must be taxes.

Lower the cost of doing business and the businesses will come here, return here and stay here.

Guest Good Points
No, BAE has a $5,000 finders fee to employees who bring in a good candidate.

Lockheed-Martin is doing good.

The root cause is:

High taxes, high utilities and high Workman's Comp.

It is obvious because they always use tax incentives to try to get businesses to come here, so it must be taxes.

Lower the cost of doing business and the businesses will come here, return here and stay here.

Good points!!!

Guest guest
Loss of US Gov't "defense" work.

I don't think so,the main business of the companies that left wasn't defense work. IBM mostly sold out and left and Lockheed was the only part of IBM that WAS defense work. Companies are very profit driven and will have their products made where it is the cheapest for them to do it. Broome county and NYS are the highest cost in every category. The only cost in this area that is lower is the cost to buy housing and what type of people are drawn by that? Answer, the type of people that don't care about the cost of everything else.The working class would be happy here if the cost of running a home weren't so high (electric/heating/taxes).Still the people that are drawn to our area don't have to worry about that, social services does,because of this we have a new category of company springing up to take care of them,the non-profits.

Guest Bobby Baja

It's all because of the loss of the James E. Strates Show, well that, and Losing Fair Play Caramels. Oh yeah, and Grover's Pig Stand.

@

Guest Guest

If I had to pinpoint one thing that is bringing Binghamton down, it's NYS gov't. Corruption, HIGH TAXES, HIGH UTILITIES, and sure the weather doesn't help but it's mostly taxes. It's a domino effect. First Business' leave, then people leave, then NYS needs to squeeze and put the pinch on the ones left here to make up for the lost tax revenue from the people and companies that left. High Utilites, pretty much the same thing as high taxes because NYS puts the squeeze on NYSEG. NYS sucks all together, not just Binghamton. That's why Buffalo is even more a DELETED than here. Good Job NYS... Another post pointed out on here how a liqour liscense cost $1,800 then to top it off after waiting for more than 6 months they still haven't recieved it yet. NYS DELETED around with their heads up their DELETED when it comes to accomodating business' needs. It's pretty hard to believe that the NYS GOV'T is thing DELETED stupid.

High taxes

Corruption on all levels

Ignorance

The unwillingness to change or consider new ideas

Bigotry

Unfriendliness

No culture

@

Very good points. Good list. You covered most of the reasons. Thanks.

Guest Guest

We are just lacking positive thoughts. That's all. By the way, I just mailed in some positive thoughts to my bank to make my mortgage payment. That's all they need.

@

Guest Guest
We are just lacking positive thoughts. That's all. By the way, I just mailed in some positive thoughts to my bank to make my mortgage payment. That's all they need.

@

Howzat work?

Can anyone do it.... do you need special training?

The local politicians Matt Ryan, Tom Libous, Former County Executive Tim Grippen insisit on turning Binghamton into the Sex Offender Capital and they have succeded!!!

And yet you cn't gt no one from Tom Libous' office or whoever to admit WHY Binghamton was picked to

be the Pedophile capital of NY. You never hear a sound out of the Landlord of the Dixie. He laughs at his guarenteed money that comes in from the State. All The Way To The Bank

How about the Pedophile Palace at 106 Henry Street for a start? The list will go on & on

Guest Desert Rat
Agreed

This town was suffering long before Ryan became mayor. Let me see if I can list some of the reasons I think contribute:

- High taxes (property, school, business)

- Gas prices generally higher than nat. avg.

- poor economy ( since end of cold war)

- lack of maintenance ( exp: pillars with exposed steel on railroad underpass north of Court st and Tompkins- this one for years, nothing done)

- Scum from NYC area moving in. ( NOTE: not all from that area fall into this category but most that move here do)

I am sure I left more than one out but all of the above are major contributors.

Archived