Stimulus Tax Payments & SSI/SSD collectors

Guest Angry Taxpayer

Guest Angry Taxpayer

I just found out that people on Social Security are getting the stimulus tax refunds even though they don't work! I am angry about the whole deal. I didn't believe it at first but did some research and was stunned that it was true. I know so many people who get free money for being "disabled" who aren't "disabled" at all, just too lazy to work and they know how to play the system. They're already getting free money via our tax dollars from the government and now they're getting tax refunds too? I just don't think it's right.

Further info below, after clicking on the link click on Tax Package 1040A-3:

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html?portlet=3

I just found out that people on Social Security are getting the stimulus tax refunds even though they don't work! I am angry about the whole deal. I didn't believe it at first but did some research and was stunned that it was true. I know so many people who get free money for being "disabled" who aren't "disabled" at all, just too lazy to work and they know how to play the system. They're already getting free money via our tax dollars from the government and now they're getting tax refunds too? I just don't think it's right.

What about the TRUELY disabled and Elderly? They will receive the Stimulus payment too. This will really help them alot as they ARE NOT able to work. If you know someone who is receiving disability that shouldn't be--turn them in.

Guest Guest
What about the TRUELY disabled and Elderly? They will receive the Stimulus payment too. This will really help them alot as they ARE NOT able to work. If you know someone who is receiving disability that shouldn't be--turn them in.

If you DON'T pay taxes why should you be eligible for MY tax money? From what I've read we have to claim it on next years tax return, many people on SSI don't file tax returns and although this refund may get them to file this year, you can bet your butt if there's a chance they have to claim it next year, they won't file next year.

Don't you think the money should go to people who actually EARNED it and not those who didn't?

I know people on WELFARE that filed for renters credit only (Form IT-214) and got money back for paying rent that welfare actually paid. Screwing the system and it really t's me off.

If you DON'T pay taxes why should you be eligible for MY tax money? From what I've read we have to claim it on next years tax return, many people on SSI don't file tax returns and although this refund may get them to file this year, you can bet your butt if there's a chance they have to claim it next year, they won't file next year.

Don't you think the money should go to people who actually EARNED it and not those who didn't?

I know people on WELFARE that filed for renters credit only (Form IT-214) and got money back for paying rent that welfare actually paid. Screwing the system and it really t's me off.

IT WILL NOT BE CLAIMED ON NEXT YEARS FEDERAL TAXES AT ALL. Some states are going to make you claim it on your state taxes -- BUT New Your WILL NOT!!!!!!

Guest Guest

most elderly people on S.S. have paid into it during there working years,so tell me WHY they are not entitled to the same benefits as you are ? I beleive that if you have never paid into S.S.then you should not be entitled to it.

Guest Guest**

You don't have to worry about YOUR tax money anyways. YOUR tax money went for Welfare not the refund.

Oh my...With all the money they make on disability and Social Security they still need tax money to get by???....

Get a life these people barely make it as it is....

You want to cry about giving away tax money, start your yellin at Maines, Matthews and the rest of the good ol boys and the idiots who waste or receive millions...

$600.00 compared to MILLIONS......Cry me a river...

Guest Guest
most elderly people on S.S. have paid into it during there working years,so tell me WHY they are not entitled to the same benefits as you are ? I beleive that if you have never paid into S.S.then you should not be entitled to it.

I realize most elderly people on SS paid into it when they were working, however, I pay into SS weekly via paycheck and by the time I am old enough to retire, there will be no money left for me (or anyone else for that matter).

Many people on welfare worked at one point or another, do you think they should be eligible too because of that fact? Probably not.

My opinion is unless you EARNED the minimum required to get the refund/rebate then you shouldn't be eligible period.

@

Guest Guest

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am on SS Disability and certainly pay taxes on the money I receive. I am under 65, if that makes a difference. Oh, and before the arrows fly, I worked almost 30 years before getting sick.

Karma has a way of coming back to you. I hope that you are never disabled and forced to live on a pittence of what you once made. It can happen at any moment. SSD/SSI is not "free" money. Recipients of Social Security paid into the system when they worked. And if you think that the disabled don't have to pay taxes your totally wrong.

Being disabled isn't a free ride!! :angry::angry::P

Guest Guest

Hmmm they pay taxes on SS and I guess people don't understand what SS is. It works like a social insurance, we all pay into it just in case we need it someday.

Guest Benni Booboo

Those receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income) do not receive the stimulus package. Those collecting social security and SSD are elegible for the stimulus. Most are people who have paid into that system and deserve the benefit.

Guest guest5678

I also worked a number of years before becoming very ill. It was awful to have to leave my job and I would gladly have traded being sick for continuing in my profession. While it is true that there are some on disability that abuse the system, many do not. While I'm happy to receive a portion of my income for my family - it doesn't cover what I was making in my profession, but it is something to compensate for the loss of income due to illness. I really look forward to the day when I can return back to work and say goodbye to disability.

It is not easy to go through the disability process - it is humiliating. The govt doesn't want to give you money so they will do their darndest to declare you able to work. And I realize this isn't a black or white issue. There are some people that maybe can't lift things because of an injury, but can certainly work in a line of work that doesn't require lifting and if they are able, then they should work. But there are also some folks that just can't work - they are too sick. You have to be examined by the disability doctor who basically is there to refute the medical claims of your own physician. While you may have been in the care of your physician for months or years, the disability doc will make their determination based on maybe a half hour of meeting with you. Most disability claims are rejected the first time through and in that case a person may decide to hire an attorney to challenge the decision.

Guest alan greenspan

you are the biggest idiot i have ever seen.

Guest Reddi Kilowatt

The whole topic of SSI/SSD kills me. I can understand if someone was 100% disabled and could not work that collect these benefits. But I do know a few people who are 'supposedly' disabled, but they sit at a computer all day long, and sit around their house and watch TV all day. These people can walk and talk, they can sit on a computer all day, but yet they can't work. That's the thing that kills me. I know there are people who abuse the system, but for some reason it seems like nothing can is done about it. If you can sit at home on a computer, why can't you work?

Guest Guest
The whole topic of SSI/SSD kills me. I can understand if someone was 100% disabled and could not work that collect these benefits. But I do know a few people who are 'supposedly' disabled, but they sit at a computer all day long, and sit around their house and watch TV all day. These people can walk and talk, they can sit on a computer all day, but yet they can't work. That's the thing that kills me. I know there are people who abuse the system, but for some reason it seems like nothing can is done about it. If you can sit at home on a computer, why can't you work?

Mental issues.

Guest alan greenspan

i truly believe you don't understand alot of things. why bother trying? don't hurt yourself.

@

Guest ilysa

I am tired of everyone assuming that a person who is collecting social security disability is getting "free money". My husband worked for over 30 years. He paid into the social security disability system by payroll tax each paycheck. He is in end stage renal failure, a double amputee who suffered a stroke. He had to wait for 8 months before he was considered to be disabled and collect his first check. The money is taxable as income but no tax is withheld from the monthly payment which means that he owes income tax on the "free money" each tax season. His "free money" is added to my income. So instead of enjoying a tax refund we have to scrape together several thousands of dollars to pay additional tax owed. So think twice before you say that people on disability don't pay tax. They pay the same amount of tax as you do without the leisure of having it taken out in increments. I agree that those receiving SSI don't deserve the stimulus money because to receive SSI you either never worked or didn't work long enough to pay into the system.

@

Guest alan greenspan
The dems. are the ones who pushed for giving the wellfare recipients the tax rebate. Republicans wanted to only give it to the ones who worked and payed taxes in the first place.

wrong again, idiot. this plan is 100% GWB'S. republicans were behind it 100%. it must be nice to just make stuff up.

@

There is a huge difference between SSI/SSDI. SSI being an entitlement program, SSDI being a safety net for the working class that become disabled. The reason they use the SS system for SSI payments was because at the time it was the only data base in the country that could handle the information needed to process claims. That being said the fed's should have moved money into the system to pay for SSI (safety net) but like a lot of things our gov't has done is pillage SS to the brink of insolvency. If the gov't all along had paid for the massive SSI program and never touched SS it the program wouldn't be facing the problems in the future. The gov't needs to find the money to give those collecting SSI elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Archived