Poll Shows Overwhelmingly Positive View of Pope

A Faithful Catholic

WASHINGTON, March 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Americans have an overwhelmingly positive view of Pope Benedict XVI on the eve of his visit to the United States, according to a new poll released today at a Newsmaker event at the National Press Club. The poll was commissioned by the Knights of Columbus and conducted by the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion between February 25 and March 5, 2008. The results were announced by Supreme Knight Carl Anderson.

By a ratio of four and a half to one (58% to 13%), respondents said that they had a favorable or very favorable view of Pope Benedict. The poll also found that an even higher percentage -- 65% -- have a favorable view of the Catholic Church, although a higher portion, 28% have a negative view.

Forty-two percent of Americans said that they would like to attend one of the Pope's public appearances while he is in the United States, and 66% of Catholics said they'd like to attend one of the events. Pope Benedict will be celebrating large open-air Masses in Washington, D.C. (at Nationals Stadium) and New York City (Yankee Stadium), and will host several smaller gatherings with Catholic educators, seminarians and leaders of other religious faiths. Anderson also unveiled a special new website (www.papaltrip.org) that offers detailed information about the Pope's trip, as well as historical material about previous popes and their dealings with the Catholic Church in the United States.

Seventy percent or more want to hear Pope Benedict talk about: allowing God to be a part of their daily lives (73%), finding spiritual fulfillment by sharing their time and talent (71%) and how they can make a positive difference in the world, their state, and communities (70%). Nearly two-thirds (64%) expressed an interest in hearing Pope Benedict talk about how they can have a society where spiritual values play an important role.

"The bottom line," Anderson said, "is that, despite years of very negative stories about the Catholic Church scandals, and dissenting view of the Pope as some sort of 'panzercardinal' determined to pursue the unorthodox to the ends of the earth, the American people have a very sensible and balanced view of Benedict and the Church. And they are very open to hearing his views on matters of how they might live their faith and put it into action in their daily lives."

http://sev.prnewswire.com/publishing-infor...25032008-1.html

Guest Guest
WASHINGTON, March 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Americans have an overwhelmingly positive view of Pope Benedict XVI on the eve of his visit to the United States, according to a new poll released today at a Newsmaker event at the National Press Club. The poll was commissioned by the Knights of Columbus and conducted by the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion between February 25 and March 5, 2008. The results were announced by Supreme Knight Carl Anderson.

By a ratio of four and a half to one (58% to 13%), respondents said that they had a favorable or very favorable view of Pope Benedict. The poll also found that an even higher percentage -- 65% -- have a favorable view of the Catholic Church, although a higher portion, 28% have a negative view.

Forty-two percent of Americans said that they would like to attend one of the Pope's public appearances while he is in the United States, and 66% of Catholics said they'd like to attend one of the events. Pope Benedict will be celebrating large open-air Masses in Washington, D.C. (at Nationals Stadium) and New York City (Yankee Stadium), and will host several smaller gatherings with Catholic educators, seminarians and leaders of other religious faiths. Anderson also unveiled a special new website (www.papaltrip.org) that offers detailed information about the Pope's trip, as well as historical material about previous popes and their dealings with the Catholic Church in the United States.

Seventy percent or more want to hear Pope Benedict talk about: allowing God to be a part of their daily lives (73%), finding spiritual fulfillment by sharing their time and talent (71%) and how they can make a positive difference in the world, their state, and communities (70%). Nearly two-thirds (64%) expressed an interest in hearing Pope Benedict talk about how they can have a society where spiritual values play an important role.

"The bottom line," Anderson said, "is that, despite years of very negative stories about the Catholic Church scandals, and dissenting view of the Pope as some sort of 'panzercardinal' determined to pursue the unorthodox to the ends of the earth, the American people have a very sensible and balanced view of Benedict and the Church. And they are very open to hearing his views on matters of how they might live their faith and put it into action in their daily lives."

That's pretty cool!!!!!!!! NOT

Guest Guest

OMG are YOU ever in denial, grasping at any straw you can find. The pope is a joke as is the entire catholic church. Step out into reality dude.

Guest Guest

Take a look back into history. Some of the Popes have been cruel, despotic buttheads.

And some just plain stupid and incompentent.

I would never trust a mortal man who claims to be God's #1 Representative on Earth.

Take a look back into history. Some of the Popes have been cruel, despotic buttheads.

And some just plain stupid and incompentent.

I would never trust a mortal man who claims to be God's #1 Representative on Earth.

Does the personal sanctity of the person who holds the Office of the Successor of Peter have anything to do with the Office he holds? NOPE.

The Office of the keeper of the keys is what is important, not the person himself. Is the pope a person like us? YES. Will he be judged? Yep. I think harsher that the average Joe. Does he go to confession? Yep. More than the average Catholic. Why? In his position he needs all the graces he can get from Christ.

The Pope has the Keys to Heaven, THE ONLY PERSON ON EARTH, per Christ's own will.....

@

Does the personal sanctity of the person who holds the Office of the Successor of Peter have anything to do with the Office he holds? NOPE.

The Office of the keeper of the keys is what is important, not the person himself. Is the pope a person like us? YES. Will he be judged? Yep. I think harsher that the average Joe. Does he go to confession? Yep. More than the average Catholic. Why? In his position he needs all the graces he can get from Christ.

The Pope has the Keys to Heaven, THE ONLY PERSON ON EARTH, per Christ's own will.....

@

Did Pope Innocent III have those same keys in Beziers, France? :huh:

Guest Guest

WHOA and hey, enough, way way more than enough.

Can we not agree, at least, that the Pope is a holy, moral and decent leader? We aren't discussing the history of the Church, we aren't talking about the RC Church as a whole, we ARE talking about the POPE.

I am RC but I would walk a long long way to see the Dali Lama, another holy, moral and decent leader.

And I would NEVER disrespect either one of them.

What is wrong with you people?????????? Do you respect ANYONE at ALL? If not, that is very sad and you must live an extremely difficult life.

Honestly, that kind of talk is horrid and you should truely be ashamed and have your nasty little mouths washed out with soap.

Not cool at ALL.

Did Pope Innocent III have those same keys in Beziers, France? :huh:

If you actually STUDIED the CATECHISM when you were Catholic, before you fell into heresy, you would realize that the pope's personal sanctity has nothing to do with the Office he holds. The teachings and DOGMAS of the CC are PERFECT and have never been corrupted by the sinners that make up the Church.

Guest Guest
If you actually STUDIED the CATECHISM when you were Catholic, before you fell into heresy, you would realize that the pope's personal sanctity has nothing to do with the Office he holds. The teachings and DOGMAS of the CC are PERFECT and have never been corrupted by the sinners that make up the Church.

Dude, you are seriously brainwashed.

You need a cult deprogrammer.

Guest Guest
WHOA and hey, enough, way way more than enough.

Can we not agree, at least, that the Pope is a holy, moral and decent leader? We aren't discussing the history of the Church, we aren't talking about the RC Church as a whole, we ARE talking about the POPE.

I am RC but I would walk a long long way to see the Dali Lama, another holy, moral and decent leader.

And I would NEVER disrespect either one of them.

What is wrong with you people?????????? Do you respect ANYONE at ALL? If not, that is very sad and you must live an extremely difficult life.

Honestly, that kind of talk is horrid and you should truely be ashamed and have your nasty little mouths washed out with soap.

Not cool at ALL.

I didn't say jackall about the sitting Pope. I made a comment about Popes past and how dubious some of their ethics were.

I saw a History Channel story the other night about one Pope who actually had orgies in the Vatican and fathered several children. And I doubt he was the only one.

How is it disrespect to recall history?

Oh wait, it's not.

Catholics do it all the time. Every time they read the Bible, in fact.

Can we not agree, at least, that the Pope is a holy, moral and decent leader?

No, I can't agree to that. I don't know that he is or not. I just know that anyone who thinks a man is God reincarnate on Earth is a sick dude. That sort of thinking is exactly what cult leaders use to prey on weak people.

Gee that sounds familiar. Same robotic cut and paste type response.

But could you answer my question? Did Pope Innocent III have those keys when he ordered the slaughter of those 100,000 or so people in France?

Guest Guest

This thread is gay. Who cares what the Pope's approval rating is? If you don't believe it doesn't matter and if you do believe it shouldn't matter. For a religion based upon faith in the truth they spend an awful amount of time worrying about perceptions. Don't forget, the Popes are infalible reflections of St. Peter unless they say or do something dumb in which case they're just men and it bears no . We know this because later infalible statements tell us which earlier statements were falible and they are the law unless another infalible Pope says that it's otherwise.

Gee that sounds familiar. Same robotic cut and paste type response.

But could you answer my question? Did Pope Innocent III have those keys when he ordered the slaughter of those 100,000 or so people in France?

The POPES never did. The GOVERNMENTS DID THE KILLINGS.

Every Pope has the Keys to Heaven, per Christ. No, your "pastor" does not.

Guest Guest
This thread is gay. Who cares what the Pope's approval rating is? If you don't believe it doesn't matter and if you do believe it shouldn't matter. For a religion based upon faith in the truth they spend an awful amount of time worrying about perceptions. Don't forget, the Popes are infalible reflections of St. Peter unless they say or do something dumb in which case they're just men and it bears no . We know this because later infalible statements tell us which earlier statements were falible and they are the law unless another infalible Pope says that it's otherwise.

Do you mean like when Galileo was excommunicated, and the CC didn't rescind that until the 1960's???

Guest Guest
I didn't say jackall about the sitting Pope. I made a comment about Popes past and how dubious some of their ethics were.

I just know that anyone who thinks a man is God reincarnate on Earth is a sick dude. That sort of thinking is exactly what cult leaders use to prey on weak people.

But now you do disrespect him, so congrats, nice job.

@

Guest Guest

What they didn't tell you is that they polled only child molesters...

@

The POPES never did. The GOVERNMENTS DID THE KILLINGS.

That's reassuring to learn.

Like the strangler who never killed anyone. Only his hands were guilty. :rolleyes:

The most outstanding thing about this thread is its apparent importance to

A Faithful Catholic. He might yet reveal why we should all find it as riveting

as he does. Could we stand the excitement? :lol:

Guest Knight of Darkness
WASHINGTON, March 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Americans have an overwhelmingly positive view of Pope Benedict XVI on the eve of his visit to the United States, according to a new poll released today at a Newsmaker event at the National Press Club.

AFC, that's downright amazing, in spite of your best efforts to the contrary, the Pope is viewed positively by most people. ;)

Guest Guest
I just know that anyone who thinks a man is God reincarnate on Earth is a sick dude. That sort of thinking is exactly what cult leaders use to prey on weak people.

But now you do disrespect him, so congrats, nice job.

@

Wow. You really need some remedial work on your reading comprehension skills.

Exactly what did I say that was 'dissing the sitting Pope?

Guest Knight of Darkness
Back ... back I say!! Get back on the porch before you get hit with a broom.

And your efforts too, chubby. ;)

@

Guest Satan
And your efforts too, chubby. ;)

@

Ahhhh, my buddy Knight. I've been gone for a couple of weeks, but see Tubby is still blowing is hot air at you! :lol::lol:

@

Archived