Stars and Stripes Classic

Guest Yellow Jacket Fan

Guest Yellow Jacket Fan

What an exceptional opportunity for the young athletes to just go out and have fun playing a game they love. Every student/athlete should thank the officials for sponsoring this competition. I saw kids tonite playing ball and truly enjoying themselves with, and against, other players in and out of their conference. They were smiling, helping an opponent up after he had fallen (or tripped), and just having a good time playing ball. A lot different than the "win at all costs" atmosphere they grew up in.

Guest Guest

Watching the first game demonstrated the reason some players from rural areas are really good. If Barresi from Lansing had Costello and Doherty on his team, he'd be D-I.

Guest Guest

A pleasure to watch without the fan clubs rearing their (at times) ugly heads...now we can see how much these athletes enjoy the game and respect each other.

And I was very very impressed with the play of the CYO athletes, they could certainly hold their own against the HS players....good job to ALL.

Guest guest
A pleasure to watch without the fan clubs rearing their (at times) ugly heads...now we can see how much these athletes enjoy the game and respect each other.

And I was very very impressed with the play of the CYO athletes, they could certainly hold their own against the HS players....good job to ALL.

This is interesting because a lot of high school coaches and people in this forum think CYO players are garbage.

Guest Guest

This just in:

that kid Barresi is a beast

Doherty is clearly better than Cartright

The Elmira team will win it all

the CYO kids stink except for Griffin and he is obviously a punk

I hate to say it, but Mullins is indeed overrated.

Winans is the best player in Section 4 hands down

Guest Guest

Say what you want, and I never laid eyes on the Griffin kid before, but he got GAME. Not just street ball, but GAME. Not 'clearly a punk' at all.

Guest Guest
This is interesting because a lot of high school coaches and people in this forum think CYO players are garbage.

Actually, I'd like to think that most fans who know and appreciate the game understand the variety of reasons that some kids play CYO and that yes alot of players are definitely more than capable of playing on a high school. Anyone thinking differently is not well informed.

Guest Guest

Yes very enjoyable to watch, a lot of talent in that gym tonight. Championship game will be held Sat. at 12:30 and Consolation game at 11:00.

Guest Guest

Mullins was indeed out of his league today. He looked like a boy among boys. This was my first time seeing him play and I felt a little bad for him. I have never seen a player more overhyped. He had better either change to football or hope he can play at BCC because he is not good enough to play at the 4-year level yet.

Guest Guest
Actually, I'd like to think that most fans who know and appreciate the game understand the variety of reasons that some kids play CYO and that yes alot of players are definitely more than capable of playing on a high school. Anyone thinking differently is not well informed.
After watching CYO games for many years. I've seen a lot of talent. Watching this past years teams I would say the

starting five from St. Pat's / St. Mary's and St. Thomas were very talented and would hold their own with some school teams

Sorry I don't know the west teams well enough to comment.

Guest Guest
After watching CYO games for many years. I've seen a lot of talent. Watching this past years teams I would say the

starting five from St. Pat's / St. Mary's and St. Thomas were very talented and would hold their own with some school teams

Sorry I don't know the west teams well enough to comment.

If by some school teams you mean the Hancocks and Harpursville's of the world then yes they could compete with those Hick schools they could not compete with any decent team in STAC

@

keith johnson from cyo st anthonys rlly impressed me he guarded bigger opponets while getting about 10 rbds while showing blazing spped on the fast break and hitting a three scoring 9 i would have love to see him play school for ue which he was a 2 yr varsity starter what college is he going too anyone know watch this kid

Guest guest

What a disappoint Woitach's team was-to many players out for themselves. Especailly Keough-,no wonder he scores so many points he always has the ball in his hands. He wasn't alone though Arnold, Mack, Griffin, Robinson did you ever hear of the word pass? So many turn overs due to pure selfishness. Griffin looked like he was out to prove to Binghamton that he should have been on the team and in turn killed the team he was on.What was the freshman doing there, I thought it was to showcase juniors and seniors? Then to give him equal if not more play time-what was that? This tournament is such a great idea by the ref's to bad its getting political like everything else.

Guest Guest

What a disappoint Woitach's team was-to many players out for themselves. Especailly Keough-,no wonder he scores so many points he always has the ball in his hands. He wasn't alone though Arnold, Mack, Griffin, Robinson did you ever hear of the word pass? So many turn overs due to pure selfishness. Griffin looked like he was out to prove to Binghamton that he should have been on the team and in turn killed the team he was on.What was the freshman doing there, I thought it was to showcase juniors and seniors? Then to give him equal if not more play time-what was that? This tournament is such a great idea by the ref's to bad its getting political like everything else.

I agree it was quite obvious that some of those kids were just out to impress the college coach's-to bad they weren't informed that they are looking for ball players not ball hogs! There was some good talent on that team to bad some had to ruin it for everyone else....

Guest guest
So what if Griffen was trying to prove something. A lot of you think that if a kid plays school ball he is the best there is ,not true. If you think beefs between players and players being out for themselves does'nt happen in high school your sadley mistaken. Of course if a team is winning you hear how great the chemistry is and how great the coach is ( most of the time because talent was laid on his/her lap) but take the same players and put them on a losing team and watch the uglyness come out. This is a showcase tourney and coaches want to see more than just passing.

Guest Guest

I agree with the above. I had never seen a couple kids play, namely Baresi (sp?) and Gates. Both I thought looked good and deserved to be there.

Guest guest

So what if Griffen was trying to prove something. A lot of you think that if a kid plays school ball he is the best there is ,not true. If you think beefs between players and players being out for themselves does'nt happen in high school your sadley mistaken. Of course if a team is winning you hear how great the chemistry is and how great the coach is ( most of the time because talent was laid on his/her lap) but take the same players and put them on a losing team and watch the uglyness come out. This is a showcase tourney and coaches want to see more than just passing.

ABSOLUTELY they want to see more than passing-theres many aspects to the game-I don't recall ball hogging one of them! It had nothing to do with him being on CYO-To many out to impress coach's instead of the win. And yes if they had passed at times maybe they would be in the finals. And so what if he was trying to prove something- thats one crappy attitude its not an all about me game!! Now its obvious why they didn't win. School teams don't need that attitude stay on CYO!!

Guest guest

I agree with the above. I had never seen a couple kids play, namely Baresi (sp?) and Gates. Both I thought looked good and deserved to be there.

I don't believe anyone said that no one didn't belong to be there-but I have to agree not everyone was a team player. Lots of talent though....

Guest Guest

referees did a good job letting the guys play through some contact that will obviously come in to play in college. Refs in the second game looked like they haven't been avoiding the training table. Good job overall though.

Guest Yellow Jacket Fan
Did the team with the kids from Oneonta lose? If so what a surprise! Nice job to all the kids!!
The team with the Oneonta kids (and Norwich, Walton, Sidney, etc.) lost their game to a group of kids in STAC West, who had a lotta size. But, like I said in the original post, it's a real pleasure watching skilled athletes having fun playing a game they love. After the intense competition of the playoffs, and disappointing losses for every team and player from Sec. IV, it's a nice break for everyone to realize GAMES are FUN.

Guest Yellow Jacket Fan

Dan O'Brien and Brendan Harder played very well while beating the Owego legion team. And the Elmira/Horseheads/Corning taem humiliated the Binghamton team. Anyone notice the results of the BCA coaches "All-Star" team? For instance Dan O' Brien as overall player of the year, and Coach Mackey as Coach of the Year. Well-deserved recognition for work well-done! If STAC finals hadn't been played on Binghamton's home court, the last two years, the results would have different!!

@

Archived