Laborers Local #7 no longer

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

As of March 24th, 2008 Laborers Local #7, 98 Main Street, is no longer a Local Union within this community. With over 100 years of pride this is a sad day for many. Way to go John Schaffer!!! :angry:

Guest Mickey
As of March 24th, 2008 Laborers Local #7, 98 Main Street, is no longer a Local Union within this community. With over 100 years of pride this is a sad day for many. Way to go John Schaffer!!! :angry:

What happen to the laborers union?

Guest EX-Local #7 member
That's what happens with over priced labor and to many coffee breaks

Not the reason nor was it the point! Whether your a union or non-union construction worker the pervailing pay rate is the same. Laborers Local #7 was one of the lowest paid labor unions in the nation, and with one 10-15 minute morning coffee break I doubt that was the reason.

What do you do for a living? I imagine your hard at work sitting in your office typing such replies. Or better yet, your sitting home with nothing better to do!

Guest Guest
What happen to the laborers union?

They priced themselves out of business. People have learned that it is not difficult to fix your own home, paint, put up bricks or put up drywall. There are newer and faster ways to do plumbing, carpentry and masonry.

The union members have no one to blame but themselves.

Guest Guest
They priced themselves out of business. People have learned that it is not difficult to fix your own home, paint, put up bricks or put up drywall. There are newer and faster ways to do plumbing, carpentry and masonry.

The union members have no one to blame but themselves.

Having been a member of Local #7 for years . I never worked on a residential home and that is not what the union is all about . Please get your facts straightened out , because you don't know what your talking about .

Guest Guest
Local#7 is consolidating with the local from Syracuse and will remain in Binghamton.

Local #7 leadership signed their Charter over to the International Laborers Union, along with Elmira and Ithaca. Local #7, 589, and Local 1358 is now one Local 785.

The office is not staying in Binghamton. The union hall building is for sale and the handful of union members left have already been instructed to report and pay dues to the Ithaca 785 hall.

Some members are happy about the merge, simply because John Schaffer can no longer run the funds into the ground. Their not happy about the reasons for the merge but, "anything has to be better than what he had to offer"! The merge and reason for such a merge is PROOF of that!

True, a field rep. probally will remain in the area. Hopefully it isn't the same "Captain of the Ship" that steered the Local #7 vessel into the ground.

Guest Guest
Local #7 leadership signed their Charter over to the International Laborers Union, along with Elmira and Ithaca. Local #7, 589, and Local 1358 is now one Local 785.

The office is not staying in Binghamton. The union hall building is for sale and the handful of union members left have already been instructed to report and pay dues to the Ithaca 785 hall.

Some members are happy about the merge, simply because John Schaffer can no longer run the funds into the ground. Their not happy about the reasons for the merge but, "anything has to be better than what he had to offer"! The merge and reason for such a merge is PROOF of that!

True, a field rep. probally will remain in the area. Hopefully it isn't the same "Captain of the Ship" that steered the Local #7 vessel into the ground.

Thanks for the info . I made a call and was told it was Syracuse . My bad ...sorry folks .

Guest Guest
Having been a member of Local #7 for years . I never worked on a residential home and that is not what the union is all about . Please get your facts straightened out , because you don't know what your talking about .

I am sure that you haven't worked in a residential home in years. Your wages have been out of line for a very long time.

Guest Guest
I am sure that you haven't worked in a residential home in years. Your wages have been out of line for a very long time.

So , your point is ???

Guest Guest

Out of Line for a while? Your making assumptions that aren't true! Tell me, just how much did a Local #7 Laborer make? You can't answer that, so how can you make such open un-true statements!

Laboring is a seasonal job, for the most part. $18-19 dollars an hour may sound like a lot to you but consider they only work an average of 6-7 months a year.

Guest Guest

Who did you call, if you don't mind me asking?[/size]

Guest Guest
Out of Line for a while? Your making assumptions that aren't true! Tell me, just how much did a Local #7 Laborer make? You can't answer that, so how can you make such open un-true statements!

Laboring is a seasonal job, for the most part. $18-19 dollars an hour may sound like a lot to you but consider they only work an average of 6-7 months a year.

Around here, that is a lot of money per hour.

So what they only work half the year? I'm supposed to get paid less and work all year while they sit and collect unemployment half the year?

How is that plumbers and electricians and construction workers only work half the year? Arent they inside once the building shell is up? I've seen people working all year round on new builds in this area for years.

Guest Guest

I'm with you and an ex-laborer . I was the individual that made a call and was told about the merge , however I thought it was Syracuse . This other knuckle head don't have a clue what the union is all about .

Guest Guest

So what they only work half the year? I'm supposed to get paid less and work all year while they sit and collect unemployment half the year?

How is that plumbers and electricians and construction workers only work half the year? Arent they inside once the building shell is up? I've seen people working all year round on new builds in this area for years.

First of all your comments don't come close to reality . It appears your just looking for an argument because you don't have a clue what the union functions are . Your real quick to speculate as oppose to obtaining facts . If you'd like to ask questions , be my guest . If your looking for that argument .......STFU .....

Guest Guest

No, your suppose to seek out a skill that will enable you to make more money.

The union trades follow an out-of-work list. The economy and work available dictates when and were the member works. This is why the members really need to take special care when voting for their leadership. The elected and voted upon representation then solicites work for them. With the amount of work available in this area over the last 6 years, John Schaffer, Laborers Local #7's Business Agent obviously failed to perform his elected job duties and in turn failed his membership.

Guest Guest
No, your suppose to seek out a skill that will enable you to make more money.

The union trades follow an out-of-work list. The economy and work available dictates when and were the member works. This is why the members really need to take special care when voting for their leadership. The elected and voted upon representation then solicites work for them. With the amount of work available in this area over the last 6 years, John Schaffer, Laborers Local #7's Business Agent obviously failed to perform his elected job duties and in turn failed his membership.

Nice explanation and I agree John Schaffer screwed up .

Guest EX-Local #7 Laborer
Nice explanation and I agree John Schaffer screwed up .

If you ask him he'll blame it on everyone but himself. Up until a member brought him up on LOCAL UNION charges he was dead set against the merge. Time will tell, but it has to make you wonder.

Guest Guest
If you ask him he'll blame it on everyone but himself. Up until a member brought him up on LOCAL UNION charges he was dead set against the merge. Time will tell, but it has to make you wonder.

I never really cared for him . I worked on several jobs with him back in the 80's and had a feeling he cause problems .

Guest Guest
I never really cared for him . I worked on several jobs with him back in the 80's and had a feeling he cause problems .

Worst part is this guy holds political office in Vestal. The residents of Vestal should question his ability to uphold his elected duties in their government.

I hate the fact of union leaders taking on political office. Maybe in bigger cities, maybe in other counties, but the nature of jobs and contracts this area sees has never offered any benefits or oppurtunities for these union/political leaders to then use their political positions in a way to benefit the members of the union they are "suppose" to represent.

It's funny that the two leaders who signed Laborers Local #7 over to the merge-John Schaffer, Business Agent, and John Hutchings, President, both hold political office.

I would love to see either of them get on here and name one job, one contract that their time consuming political office has brought the Laborers. Both of them for years have used their Laborer Union positions to benefit their own agendas, while the actual body of the union, the membes, suffered.

@

Guest Guest
Worst part is this guy holds political office in Vestal. The residents of Vestal should question his ability to uphold his elected duties in their government.

I hate the fact of union leaders taking on political office. Maybe in bigger cities, maybe in other counties, but the nature of jobs and contracts this area sees has never offered any benefits or oppurtunities for these union/political leaders to then use their political positions in a way to benefit the members of the union they are "suppose" to represent.

It's funny that the two leaders who signed Laborers Local #7 over to the merge-John Schaffer, Business Agent, and John Hutchings, President, both hold political office.

I would love to see either of them get on here and name one job, one contract that their time consuming political office has brought the Laborers. Both of them for years have used their Laborer Union positions to benefit their own agendas, while the actual body of the union, the membes, suffered.

Members

@

Guest The Virginian

Very hard to believe that Local 7 has not done well.......Peter P., Mickey L., and all the old time guys would never had let this happen. All the old guys, guys like Joe McCay, Mike Zarelli, Vinnie Deritis, Nicky Marrongelli.................Very sad to hear about the situation up there.

Guest Guest

:huh:

Very hard to believe that Local 7 has not done well.......Peter P., Mickey L., and all the old time guys would never had let this happen. All the old guys, guys like Joe McCay, Mike Zarelli, Vinnie Deritis, Nicky Marrongelli.................Very sad to hear about the situation up there.

Biggest difference between them guys and Schaffer/Hutchings is that the first group were real Laborers, real men. Schaffer/Hutchings are politicians and used the Laborers Union as a means to an end. Foolishly so, now that they signed their "bread and butter" over, it is only a matter of time before they burn their political bridge. :unsure:

@

Guest guest with a question

I have read all the posts and have some questions. If I am reading this correctly there are 2 other unions merging with Binghamton. Why is no one talking about that? I find it very hard to believe that 2 people alone can consolidate 3 union locations. All you have to do is look around and you will see everyone has been affected in some way by consolidation. Churches have merged; Villages & Towns have done the same thing. Isn't Broome County even talking about consolidating police depts.? My final question is this. Didn't this merger have to get voted on and approved by the members of the affected locals?

Archived