Laborers Local #7 no longer

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
I never really cared for him . I worked on several jobs with him back in the 80's and had a feeling he cause problems .

I never really cared for him . I worked on several jobs with him back in the 80's and had a feeling he cause problems

Guest Guest 41

As a long time member of Local # 7 I don't personally see the merger as a thing of bussiness was doing badly and they merged to save it. Other unions, bussiness and even cities have merged to aquire buying power and save money. As I see it our largest and most recent problems are with the office in Utica that handles our money and insurance, not the local hall. I'm not saying the local hall is perfect, but I think most of our problems are in Utica. I'm sure there are lots of things I am not aware of, but time will show if the merger helps or hurts. It seems to be working for the NYS Carpenters.

If you are looking at the old timers with respect then either you are a fool, or weren't around when they were in power. Pete P. and Mickey L. Ended up in prisoin for a reason, and Joe Mckay should have been in a cell with them. They were all scum bags and theivs that stole from us and used the Union for their benefit more than anyone from the newer powers.

As for the people who say we are over paid or have priced ourselves out of a job..........I would bet the ranch that you have never worked as hard as me or most my union brothers do......maybe for a day, but not day in and day out like we do. Yes there are some that are lazy or take advantage of situiations. But that happens in every line of work. If we work 40 hours a week by 52 weeks we still wouldnt brake over 40,000 in a year. No vacation pay, no holiday pay, no sick pay. We work we get paid, we dont work we dont get paid. Yes unemployment helps, but its not as much as your pay, and you still need to get enough hours to maintain insurance. So its not like we all count the days till we can get laid off. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that the average life expectancy of a laborer was like 63 the last time I heard a statistic. I can count all of the re-tieree's that I know that are still alive on 2 hands.

I'm sure there will be pleny of replies to this and I will be torn apart, but I wouldn't expect any less from the oh-so sophisticated people who spend all their time on here to just argue and bicker.

Guest Guest
Not the reason nor was it the point! Whether your a union or non-union construction worker the pervailing pay rate is the same. Laborers Local #7 was one of the lowest paid labor unions in the nation, and with one 10-15 minute morning coffee break I doubt that was the reason.

What do you do for a living? I imagine your hard at work sitting in your office typing such replies. Or better yet, your sitting home with nothing better to do!

Engineer at L.M.

What do you do? Or maybe I should ask how many cans did you collect today for that pack of smokes and 6 pack of beer?

Guest Guest
As a long time member of Local # 7 I don't personally see the merger as a thing of bussiness was doing badly and they merged to save it. Other unions, bussiness and even cities have merged to aquire buying power and save money. As I see it our largest and most recent problems are with the office in Utica that handles our money and insurance, not the local hall. I'm not saying the local hall is perfect, but I think most of our problems are in Utica. I'm sure there are lots of things I am not aware of, but time will show if the merger helps or hurts. It seems to be working for the NYS Carpenters.

If you are looking at the old timers with respect then either you are a fool, or weren't around when they were in power. Pete P. and Mickey L. Ended up in prisoin for a reason, and Joe Mckay should have been in a cell with them. They were all scum bags and theivs that stole from us and used the Union for their benefit more than anyone from the newer powers.

As for the people who say we are over paid or have priced ourselves out of a job..........I would bet the ranch that you have never worked as hard as me or most my union brothers do......maybe for a day, but not day in and day out like we do. Yes there are some that are lazy or take advantage of situiations. But that happens in every line of work. If we work 40 hours a week by 52 weeks we still wouldnt brake over 40,000 in a year. No vacation pay, no holiday pay, no sick pay. We work we get paid, we dont work we dont get paid. Yes unemployment helps, but its not as much as your pay, and you still need to get enough hours to maintain insurance. So its not like we all count the days till we can get laid off. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that the average life expectancy of a laborer was like 63 the last time I heard a statistic. I can count all of the re-tieree's that I know that are still alive on 2 hands.

I'm sure there will be pleny of replies to this and I will be torn apart, but I wouldn't expect any less from the oh-so sophisticated people who spend all their time on here to just argue and bicker.

Utica, who do you think signs the contracts with Utica? The funds in Utica originate in Binghamton. Money makes money, and unless the guys are getting put on jobs the money isn't their for Utica to cause these problems you talk about. The merge took place because Schaffer let the membership drop below that of the retirees so he could never be beat at an election. So guys like you could be bought at time of election for a clam bake ticket. This merge is Schaffers/Hutchings fault, and theirs alone. Their inability to lead 5-6 years ago is just catching up to us now.

Guest Guest
Very hard to believe that Local 7 has not done well.......Peter P., Mickey L., and all the old time guys would never had let this happen. All the old guys, guys like Joe McCay, Mike Zarelli, Vinnie Deritis, Nicky Marrongelli.................Very sad to hear about the situation up there.

You wanna know why your union failed, look at the names you have listed. It should be obvious.

You are missing Rocky, Joey, Tony and Mickey.

Guest Guest

;)

"If we work 40 hours a week times 52 weeks we still wouldnt brake over 40,000 in a year"

Your Right, but in that same statement justify your BA making upwards to $100,000 a year with the benifits. Not to mention your office girl making over $40,000 a year. Don't tell me it wasn't the elected union officals fault. The crew of old might have robbed you, but atleast they were helt accountable. These guys simply signed you over so their crimes could never be revealed. WAKE UP

Guest Guest

"I can count all of the re-tieree's that I know that are still alive on two hands"

Maybe that you know, maybe that you can count. If this is the case than why does your LM2 claim to have upwards to 400 members? I can't verify the amount of retirees, but I damn sure can attest that their is no 350-400 members!

"I can count all of the re-tieree's that I know that are still alive on two hands"

Maybe that you know, maybe that you can count. If this is the case than why does your LM2 claim to have upwards to 400 members? I can't verify the amount of retirees, but I damn sure can attest that their is no 350-400 members!

It's all over for you Schaffer and the next step is to get Scotti out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Very hard to believe that Local 7 has not done well.......Peter P., Mickey L., and all the old time guys would never had let this happen. All the old guys, guys like Joe McCay, Mike Zarelli, Vinnie Deritis, Nicky Marrongelli.................Very sad to hear about the situation up there.

Nick Marrongelli was my uncle. You knew him? He was a really good guy.

@

Guest RESIDENT
Engineer at L.M.

What do you do? Or maybe I should ask how many cans did you collect today for that pack of smokes and 6 pack of beer?

OK now MR. ENIGINEER AT L.M.>>>>

YOUR SHOWING YOUR STUPIDITY :(:unsure:

Archived