Ryan Admin Doesn't Listen to Neighborhood Assemblies

Guest Watcher

Guest Watcher

Think about it. Does the Ryan Admin really listen to these people?

Remember how the people of the East Side didn't want the non-profit elderly housing? Their assembly was against it, but the administration ignored them and closed the deal.

How about the First Ward Business Association? They were all against the Mental Health Clinic...but it's going in there, isn't it?

What about the roundabout? They held hearings about, most people were against it, but the Mayor is still pushing for it to come in here.

How about that water forum? How many people spoke against the rate hike? Think Ryan won't raise your rates?

How about the homeless shelter in the Brandywine Corridor? Northside residents were all against that, even county officials thought it was a not the best thing for an emerging economic development corridor...guess what happened, everyone was ignored, and now it's a done deal.

How many times have these assembly facilitators brought up important issues...for example, the water rates? Think the water rate issue will be on the agenda anytime soon for the residents to discuss?

The assemblies are a good idea, but not when people have an agenda, and not when they are being used a pretense for listening to people, when in fact, this administration only cares about your opinion when it coincides with their own.

Think about it. Does the Ryan Admin really listen to these people?

Remember how the people of the East Side didn't want the non-profit elderly housing? Their assembly was against it, but the administration ignored them and closed the deal.

How about the First Ward Business Association? They were all against the Mental Health Clinic...but it's going in there, isn't it?

What about the roundabout? They held hearings about, most people were against it, but the Mayor is still pushing for it to come in here.

How about that water forum? How many people spoke against the rate hike? Think Ryan won't raise your rates?

How about the homeless shelter in the Brandywine Corridor? Northside residents were all against that, even county officials thought it was a not the best thing for an emerging economic development corridor...guess what happened, everyone was ignored, and now it's a done deal.

How many times have these assembly facilitators brought up important issues...for example, the water rates? Think the water rate issue will be on the agenda anytime soon for the residents to discuss?

The assemblies are a good idea, but not when people have an agenda, and not when they are being used a pretense for listening to people, when in fact, this administration only cares about your opinion when it coincides with their own.

The Assemblies are a joke period! Nuff Said! :huh:

Look, it was apparent from Day 1 what these "assemblies" were. Many credible people told you, here, in the streets, in the media.

They weren't designed to get input. They were designed to lay out the plan. If you weren't in? You were out.

Matt Ryan wants to include EVERYONE ... as long as they completely agree with what Citizen Action tells him to do.

I'm a realist. Those neighborhood assemblies were a lousy joke from the start.

Guest citizen cane

These so called assemblies are nothing more than the implementation of sensitivity training tactics. Read any leftist manual on how to break down people who share a common thought - such as being upset with their neighborhood's condition - and you will see Ryan's plan in print.

People are seated at individual tables, couples and friends are broken up (weaking process). The militant person who clings to his concerns is slowly and methodically broken down by the facilitator. Ever hear, "OH, Mr. So and So, you're the ONLY one who has complaints about that." It's all part of the break down and take over.

Guest Guest
These so called assemblies are nothing more than the implementation of sensitivity training tactics. Read any leftist manual on how to break down people who share a common thought - such as being upset with their neighborhood's condition - and you will see Ryan's plan in print.

People are seated at individual tables, couples and friends are broken up (weaking process). The militant person who clings to his concerns is slowly and methodically broken down by the facilitator. Ever hear, "OH, Mr. So and So, you're the ONLY one who has complaints about that." It's all part of the break down and take over.

Simply google the "Delphi Technique". It's the method that these Citizen Action loonies implement at the Neighborhood Assemblies...right down to the "facilitator" that runs the show. Neighborhood input? As long as it fits within their radical agenda. They direct the meetings as though dealing with brainwashed morons. And after attending the first one...that's all that's left attending the subsequent ones. And the resulting nonsense is then presented to the uninvolved public as having broad based support! Simple but effective ....especially when dealing with an uninformed apathetic public.

Guest Guest
Simply google the "Delphi Technique". It's the method that these Citizen Action loonies implement at the Neighborhood Assemblies...right down to the "facilitator" that runs the show. Neighborhood input? As long as it fits within their radical agenda. They direct the meetings as though dealing with brainwashed morons. And after attending the first one...that's all that's left attending the subsequent ones. And the resulting nonsense is then presented to the uninvolved public as having broad based support! Simple but effective ....especially when dealing with an uninformed apathetic public.

This is true but thank goodness so few people now show up it doesn't matter.

Citizen Action still does what it can through these things to build their database of voters though.

@

Guest Guest

Maybe this is the case in individual other assemblies, but I found the Center City Assembly meeting to be well-run and interesting. The VISTA actually said very little, it was mostly input from community members. I wonder if any of you have in fact attended BNAP meetings?

Binghamton has a long road ahead of it if it's going to go from what it is into something to be proud of. Lambasting out-of-context "failures" doesn't help anyone, least of all you or your children.

@

Guest Guest

I have attended a few different Neighborhood Assemblies and they are all a joke. Lint navel inspection by people with nothing better to do.

Guest Downtown Lifer
Maybe this is the case in individual other assemblies, but I found the Center City Assembly meeting to be well-run and interesting. The VISTA actually said very little, it was mostly input from community members. I wonder if any of you have in fact attended BNAP meetings?

Binghamton has a long road ahead of it if it's going to go from what it is into something to be proud of. Lambasting out-of-context "failures" doesn't help anyone, least of all you or your children.

initial

I am a lifelong resident of the downtown neighborhood...or what's left of it. My family has had a presence there since 1912 and obviously still does. I attended several of the very first assemblies and what stared out with hope and wonderful attendance quickly evaporated. They will never get another chance. Either it was beyond Ryan, Clark, and Abdelazim and overwhelmed they simply dropped the ball or these agenda driven radicals never really had the betterment of the City through constructive citizen input as their goal. Now, almost three years later, it is quite obvious that time is running out and nothing of meaningful consequence has been accomplished.

At the very first southwest and west side assemblies, significant issues such as municipal power generation, cost reducing tax measures, downtown economic development, and consolidation of governmental services were put forth by some very creative and concerned attendees. The result? Columbus Park block parties, neighborhood clean-up days, and community gardens. Is it really surprising that this creative and invested caliber of citizen no longer participates? The assemblies have now degenerated into nothing more than complaint sessions and pep rallies (with free refreshments) for the low income, vistas, and left over hippies of the administration? Simply attend one.

Like I said, I've lived downtown all my life and if you think that I believe that the "neighborhood" will turn around because some progressive well intentioned fellow volunteers to grow vegetables on the same plot of land that old Reverend Taylor used grow his vegetables on, you're smokin what he ain't growin. They blew it....they know it....and they couldn't care less. Not one of them will be in Binghamton one hour after they're no longer in power.

@

Archived