Computer repair

Guest JC Guest

Guest JC Guest

I seem to have lost parts of my operating system on my computer. I purchased the computer from Red Barn about 5 years ago and has been very reliable until now. I think Red Barn has gone way down hill since my purchase and do not want to take it there. So I need some recommendations for repair as well as file backup. Thanks

Guest Guest

Why on earth would you go to RED BARN for anything? Guess you did not know what type of a person the owner is when you went there. Using used parts and passing off as new, using cheap parts and passing them off to be "top of the line" and worse yet, will out and out lie to a customer about the problem when it's minor and can be repaired in a few minutes telling them its a major problem to soak em for a couple hundred.

Nope, NEVER GO TO RED BARN

Guest JC Guest
Why on earth would you go to RED BARN for anything? Guess you did not know what type of a person the owner is when you went there. Using used parts and passing off as new, using cheap parts and passing them off to be "top of the line" and worse yet, will out and out lie to a customer about the problem when it's minor and can be repaired in a few minutes telling them its a major problem to soak em for a couple hundred.

Nope, NEVER GO TO RED BARN

You can't read very good. I am asking for positive recommendations. I already said I wouldn't return to Red Barn, so your post was useless. Thanks anyway.

Guest Guest
You can't read very good. I am asking for positive recommendations. I already said I wouldn't return to Red Barn, so your post was useless. Thanks anyway.

Well, as useless as it may be to you, someone else might have wanted a little more information the you provided in your OP.

Charlie's is good and cheaper of course.

Guest JC Guest

Thanks for all your help so far, Folks. Has anyone ever used Blizard's repair? He has a very impressive looking web site and will do on site repairs. Just wondering.

Guest Guest

I just purchase my parts online and do what ever needs to be done before it crashes. If your into knowing your computer and how it responds, you know ahead of time when a problem will happen.

I also check craigslist for parts as sometimes you can get good deals on hard drives and stuff cheap.

Guest JC Guest
I just purchase my parts online and do what ever needs to be done before it crashes. If your into knowing your computer and how it responds, you know ahead of time when a problem will happen.

I also check craigslist for parts as sometimes you can get good deals on hard drives and stuff cheap.

You are right, I have known for some time that my computer was not operating as good as it once did - takes forever to boot up. Up until recently, I thought there was a little man inside that box with the lights on it and that he just pushed the buttons to do what I wanted to do. I have no idea what a hard drive or any other part looks like let alone try and replace it. Consider yourself lucky to be that knowledgeable.

Check out that place on the corner of Clinton & Jarvis Streets in Binghamton. They back their work up 110% 9 times out of 10, you can have your system back either the same day, or within a day or 2.

Guest Guest
Check out that place on the corner of Clinton & Jarvis Streets in Binghamton. They back their work up 110% 9 times out of 10, you can have your system back either the same day, or within a day or 2.

That's crap. I dropped off a computer for repair and they didn't even open the case. He told me at had either a bad drive or motherboard and charged me $20. He didn't touch the stupid computer, and I mean didn't touch it. How do I know he didn't touch it? I unplugged the power supply from the motherboard and taped a hair to the computer so I would know if he opened the case and the hair was in tact.

As for the Computer Man......I've seen how he treats his friends that become customers so I can only imagine how he treats strangers as customers.

Guest Guest
I seem to have lost parts of my operating system on my computer. I purchased the computer from Red Barn about 5 years ago and has been very reliable until now. I think Red Barn has gone way down hill since my purchase and do not want to take it there. So I need some recommendations for repair as well as file backup. Thanks

There's a store on Clinton St that says "Everything" in the window. That guy does computer repair, although you've got to make an appointment. Drop a card in the mail slot or email him(don't remember the email off hand). He might not be the best( yes, he is really good) but I think he's the most honest. You're more likely to get a deal from him than to be ripped off. Hope this helps!

Guest Guest
You are right, I have known for some time that my computer was not operating as good as it once did - takes forever to boot up. Up until recently, I thought there was a little man inside that box with the lights on it and that he just pushed the buttons to do what I wanted to do. I have no idea what a hard drive or any other part looks like let alone try and replace it. Consider yourself lucky to be that knowledgeable.

Based on what your saying it could be 1 of 3 things.

1) How long has it been since you cleaned out your Temp Folder and Temp Internet Folder ? Cookie Folder ? Thos folders alone can slow a machine down if they get over filled.

2) You might hav picked up a couple trojans and they are hogging ram, which will slow a machine down. Do you have any anti-virus program running/installed and do you use it?

3) You could just need a reformat and re-install of everything. A system that old if not maintained can build a lot of useless stuff that will bog it down, or your hard drive could have bad sectors (like pot holes in the road when your driving).

Another thing is that if you do a lot of downloading and then erase (delete - like Holly does here a lot - had to add a joke) your hard drive could just need a defrag.

Hope this helps a little to give some basics.

:)

Guest JC Guest

1) How long has it been since you cleaned out your Temp Folder and Temp Internet Folder ? Cookie Folder ? Thos folders alone can slow a machine down if they get over filled.

2) You might hav picked up a couple trojans and they are hogging ram, which will slow a machine down. Do you have any anti-virus program running/installed and do you use it?

3) You could just need a reformat and re-install of everything. A system that old if not maintained can build a lot of useless stuff that will bog it down, or your hard drive could have bad sectors (like pot holes in the road when your driving).

Another thing is that if you do a lot of downloading and then erase (delete - like Holly does here a lot - had to add a joke) your hard drive could just need a defrag.

Hope this helps a little to give some basics

Thanks for the diagnosis. I am not very good at computer maintenance so I think that your #3 suggestion could pretty well sum it up. It may very well be a hard drive problem since it sometimes takes 5 min. after I push the on button for the computer to finally light up and start running.

I have called some of the places that people have suggested just to get an idea of cost, time turn around etc. I was hoping that someone could tell me something about Blizard Computer Service as he seemed very nice and knowledgeable but then again you never know I guess until you deal with them.

Guest Guest
Thanks for the diagnosis. I am not very good at computer maintenance so I think that your #3 suggestion could pretty well sum it up. It may very well be a hard drive problem since it sometimes takes 5 min. after I push the on button for the computer to finally light up and start running.

I have called some of the places that people have suggested just to get an idea of cost, time turn around etc. I was hoping that someone could tell me something about Blizard Computer Service as he seemed very nice and knowledgeable but then again you never know I guess until you deal with them.

Your welcome but you pose another question in your responce. 5 min for the computer to light up and start running ? During that time is there anything on the display ? And if so, does the screen stay a 'blue' or does it look like windows is trying to run? What Operating System - Windows 2000 - Windows XP ? ( Windows 98 ? )

let me know and the brand and I might be able to fix you up in the matter of a few minutes with a used drive with a OS already installed. -- dakota369 over on gmail dot com

Guest JC Guest

When I push the one button on the computer nothing happpens - nada. Sometimes for up to 5 min. Nothing on the monitor, no lights on the computer. Then when it feels like it, it starts making a startup noise, the lights start flashing and the monitor starts opening windows xp. It is a ShuttleX that I bought at Red barn in 2003.

Hope this helps a little to give some basics.

Holly defrags very often. :lol:

Guest Guest
I have had great results with Cyber City, 455 Court Street, Binghamton.

Yea I am going there Wednesday, invite only, for the Microsoft Tech Van that will be there with all the latest gizzmos.

Guest Guest
When I push the one button on the computer nothing happpens - nada. Sometimes for up to 5 min. Nothing on the monitor, no lights on the computer. Then when it feels like it, it starts making a startup noise, the lights start flashing and the monitor starts opening windows xp. It is a ShuttleX that I bought at Red barn in 2003.

Are you get random errors ie page fault in non paged area and other odd behavior?maybe starts once then restarts by itself then boots up but is slow?could be one bad piece of hardware stick of ram ,modem etc gone bad seen it happen numerous times ESPECIALLY with cheap sticks of ram

Archived