Computer repair

Guest JC Guest

Guest Guest

Update for those who would like to know .....

Based on information that is coming to me, this computer has several issues. First, when turning on, there is nothing. No likes no drive spinning -- sip. That tells a power supply failure. But before I would just get a new supply, I would do a visual on the MO. See, most computers sold by the place it was purchased uses cheap parts and sells as if top of line. On the MO ther are caps. On cheap MO the caps fail. 99% of the time those caps are made in china. If you look at a Mo and see a little orange/rust color on the top of the cap around the blue/yellow plastic sleeve, your MO is shot. It will draw the power down from the power supply and thus not allow any power to go to the drives. I've seen this more times in computers that are what is known as "white box" and "no name" systems.

The second issue is auto updates was on and it wanted to re-boot the system but it locked up (another indo of MO problems drawing the power supply down) so the AC plug was pulled. Thus when it was turned back on and made its mind up to run, some of the OS was lost. Running the OS CD and trying to repair might work, but not always in restoring everything. A reformat and clean install is in order.

however, given the system was purchased in 2003, 5 years old now, is it really worth the time and effort not even thinking about the cost. I'd say not. When a MO goes and draws on the power supply, chances are damage was done to other boards, maybe even a slight low level damage to the hard drive, thus more problems down the road.

$ 60.00 a hour plus parts. MO = $150 with processor and you might have to buy ram also because there are not many that will still use the old PC133 ram left on the market -- So without even thinking about the OS reinstalled, your looking at 270 so far. At what price do you cut it off for repairs? If the cost of repairs to put a computer back in order for a 5 year old computer go over 200, and not know if something else is going to dump on you, I'd say, buy a new one. You'd have better everything, and be in with the times. Plus you'd get the warranty.

And yes, I've built my fair share, and repair them for people at work all the time and change them for parts only and give them the reciept for the parts. Some can not afford repair costs, and besides, I like helping people.

@

;)

Archived