Ryan Administration Pulls Back Support from Neighborhood Assemblies

Guest =:o-Say-it-ain't-so-

Guest =:o-Say-it-ain't-so-

Neighborhood Assembly Guiding Committee members across the city have recently been dumbfounded when they got an e-mail like this saying that the Ryan Administration is "pulling back" VISTA support resources, EXCEPT for those helping the Center City and First Ward Neighborhood Assemblies:

Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2008 05:32 PM

To: Undisclosed-recipients:;

Subject: Changes in the Binghamton Neighborhood Assemblies and VISTA role

I am writing to Guiding Committee members to inform you of the changes that are happening with the Binghamton Neighborhood Assemblies Project and most importantly VISTA support to the assembly areas. Since the harsh cuts by the Bush administration in the earlier part of this year, the Binghamton Neighborhood Assemblies Project has been challenged to give the type of support needed to all of the assemblies. Currently the VISTAS we have are: 2 Community Organizers, 1 Small Business Coordinator, 1 Beautification Coordinator and a VISTA Leader working with the Binghamton Neighborhood Assemblies Project.

We realized that because we could not fill the other 6 vacant positions, residents would have to take on more of a leadership role in their assembly areas. We are now at the point in which the project is entering into its third and final year, and what we envisioned seeing, was assembly areas that can stand and manage themselves. To this end, because of the success of the BNA project, we will be pulling back our resources to focus on the two assembly areas that have exemplified our mission and goal of sustainable assembly areas. The First Ward, has a well functioning, very involved assembly, and has engaged not just the residents but businesses as well. This assembly can serve a model for the others throughout the City. Center City, is the one assembly that best fits the low income areas we are to target for our grant.

I have been working with the East Side Assembly, and will continue to give support regarding connecting the East Side and other assemblies to the proper resources available at City Hall, assisting with getting City Dept. staff to meetings, etc. The Guiding Committee is responsible for running the assembly meetings, planning the agenda, outreach to others to attend, and filling the empty Guiding Committee positions.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Daphne Gathers

Neighborhood Services Representative & VISTA Site Supervisor

City of Binghamton

724-2489

It doesn't make sense that the 5 VISTA personnel remaining will now be re-assigned to help just the two areas of the City that are touted as the biggest successes, to the exclusion of the rest of the City. If these areas are such great examples, why do they need the help at all? Why not concentrate the VISTAs in the other areas of the City if the goal is for the other areas of the City to imitate these two exemplary "model" Neighborhood Assemblies.

What, exactly, are these 5 VISTA personnel (at 200 total person-hours per week if they all volunteer "full-time" for 40 hours/week) going to be doing for a combined 100 person-hours per week in each of these two areas? Are their services going to be diverted into doing something else, instead (like, in the First Ward, helping support the First Ward resident County Executive's re-election bid)? Is this some type of reward to the Center City for how last year's 4th District City Council election turned out? How can the City re-direct the services of the VISTAs without first publicly seeking "neighborhood input" and then asking the federal government for approval of an amended grant plan?

This sounds more like some kind of vindictive "punishment" meted-out by the Ryan Administration for Neighborhood Assemblies that have been charting independent courses. Just last Friday, the Press published a story about some type of Binghamton Families Month being declared between Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day at the urging of some of the Neighborhood Assemblies. So, could it be that "Rainbow Ryan" is now catching some major "heat" from his LBGTQ support-base (who are apparently distraught now that it hardly seems possible for June 2008 to be designated as gay flag month when the first part of June is already locked-up by this pro-family declaration)? Was Mayor Ryan forced to take some public action to punish the Neighborhood Assemblies that aren't "down with the plan" developed by Citizen Action in order to appease his supporters?

If the Ryan Administration, after initially promising to provide the Neighborhood Assemblies with "all of the resources" needed to make positive changes in their neighborhoods, will no longer support the Neighborhood Assemblies city-wide with what federal resources the City has been provided for just that purpose, can the Neighborhood Assemblies realistically be expected to believe (or support) the Ryan Administration in the future?

Guest City Taxpayer
even the neighborhood assemblies, one of Ryan's biggest scams are now falling apart.

I wondered when this would happen! It's amazing one business in the first ward Mad Hatter Junk on Clinton Street envolved with their group pays no taxes at all! But boy she's got a BIG MOUTH!

She lives in Johnson City and pays no taxes there as well!

Guest Guest
I wondered when this would happen! It's amazing one business in the first ward Mad Hatter Junk on Clinton Street envolved with their group pays no taxes at all! But boy she's got a BIG MOUTH!

She lives in Johnson City and pays no taxes there as well!

How does she not pay taxes?

Pretty sure she rents her home in JC. Why is that a bad thing?

And does she rent or own the building in which the Mad Hatter resides?

Why is that even an issue in a conversation like this?

Guest Guest
Pretty sure she rents her home in JC. Why is that a bad thing?

And does she rent or own the building in which the Mad Hatter resides?

Why is that even an issue in a conversation like this?

She owns her building and she pays taxes. good god you people are nuts

Guest Guest
It's Bush's fault....can you believe these idiots?

Read this thing:

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/

And now the bad news. We face serious financial challenges that require sobering discussions and responsible long-term solutions. Home owners and business owners are facing crushing tax burdens. Our federal government has completely failed the American public, diverting hundreds of billions from desperately needed community development to warmaking in Iraq. The nation’s economy is reeling, largely because of oil prices, reckless investment schemes and predatory lending. Albany has issued strong warnings over declining revenues.

Ryan blames GWB and NYS for pretty much everything that's wrong with Binghamton. At least he got the "bad news" part right. If he knows that we're under crushing taxes, why doesn't he stop doing things that will raise them???

Duh??????????

Guest Guest
Read this thing:

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/

And now the bad news. We face serious financial challenges that require sobering discussions and responsible long-term solutions. Home owners and business owners are facing crushing tax burdens. Our federal government has completely failed the American public, diverting hundreds of billions from desperately needed community development to warmaking in Iraq. The nation’s economy is reeling, largely because of oil prices, reckless investment schemes and predatory lending. Albany has issued strong warnings over declining revenues.

Ryan blames GWB and NYS for pretty much everything that's wrong with Binghamton. At least he got the "bad news" part right. If he knows that we're under crushing taxes, why doesn't he stop doing things that will raise them???

Duh??????????

You do realize that most every economist and 80% of the general public agree with his statement - don't you?

Guest Guest
You do realize that most every economist and 80% of the general public agree with his statement - don't you?

I wasn't disputing the validity of his statement.

I was pointing out that GWB and Albany were the only two scapegoats Ryan offered up for why Binghamton is a craphole.

It's got way more to do with the loss of all those jobs in the 80's and 90's, and the County and City's reaction to that than the $ GWB has poured into the Iraqi sinkhole. Bing. was well on it's way to becoming what it is now long before GWB invaded Iraq.

Bucci cut staff and services, knowing full well that the deterioration would continue, but that it wouldn't get that bad until he was gone.

It's now Ryan's mess to fix. He's making it worse with every move and every statement. He's a clueless Blunder Machine. And the only thing he can say is "It's GWB' fault"????

Guest Guest
I wasn't disputing the validity of his statement.

I was pointing out that GWB and Albany were the only two scapegoats Ryan offered up for why Binghamton is a craphole.

It's got way more to do with the loss of all those jobs in the 80's and 90's, and the County and City's reaction to that than the $ GWB has poured into the Iraqi sinkhole. Bing. was well on it's way to becoming what it is now long before GWB invaded Iraq.

Bucci cut staff and services, knowing full well that the deterioration would continue, but that it wouldn't get that bad until he was gone.

It's now Ryan's mess to fix. He's making it worse with every move and every statement. He's a clueless Blunder Machine. And the only thing he can say is "It's GWB' fault"????

so the statement he makes is true - yet every statement he makes - makes it worse? yikes - you are out to lunch there bucko

Guest Guest

The statement he makes isn't true.

It's nothing but a convenient dodge of his responsibility as Mayor.

The City of Binghamton's Community Development Block Grant allotment from HUD has been consistently declining since the Clinton adminstration.

It has nothing to do with "warmaking in Iraq."

Guest City Taxpayer

Ryan can blame Bush and NYS all he wants and like the proverbial broken watch he's probably right a couple of times on a couple of issues. But, it is what it is and we all need to adjust to survive. Public protest, as is his right, does nothing to lower my present tax burden.

The war has been going on for some time now and he's been Mayor for almost three of those years. He should be astute enough by now to recognize the need for austerity and long term strategic planning until the feds and the state do come around again...if ever.

And, austerity and creative planning during these difficult times DOES NOT include his recent and inexcusable Fire Department "giveaway'. He will never be able to explain it away nor blame George Bush for the absurdity of providing such a lucrative long term package to the highest tax eating City employees of a department fiscally out of control. An Inexplicable "giveaway" in stark contrast to his fiscally conservative offering to the rest of his non administrative workers. He has even gone so far as hire out of town legal counsel in an effort to minimize the benefits package of the Police contract.

We now read of his and Chief Zikuski's cost savings plan to eliminate a Police Lieutenant. Wow! Did he ever discuss the same strategy with the Fire Department Chief? A fire department staffed with 24 Lieutenants, 9 Captains, a Fire Marshall, a Training Officer, and 5 Chiefs! All paid to manage 92 firefighters.

Transparency in government? Much like Ryan's latest innovative experiment in governance by committee, the beaten down tax payers of this town need their own commission to determine just what was behind this blatantly one sided agreement and it's calamitous impact on our declining tax base and ever increasing taxes.

Guest Guest
Transparency in government? Much like Ryan's latest innovative experiment in governance by committee, the beaten down tax payers of this town need their own commission to determine just what was behind this blatantly one sided agreement and it's calamitous impact on our declining tax base and ever increasing taxes.

Amen!

Guest Guest
so the statement he makes is true - yet every statement he makes - makes it worse? yikes - you are out to lunch there bucko

You don't know how to follow a train of thought very well, do you?

I'll try one more time to make my point so that you can understand it. I can't figure out how to type this in crayon font, though.

Ryan is right about the bad news being the bad news.

Are you with me so far?

Him blaming it all on GWB's disastrous invasion and occupation of Iraq is misguided and meant to deflect accountablility away from him, his people and the people who ran the city before him.

Are we clear on my point yet?

I don't think I can explain it any more simply than that.

Guest Guest
You don't know how to follow a train of thought very well, do you?

I'll try one more time to make my point so that you can understand it. I can't figure out how to type this in crayon font, though.

Ryan is right about the bad news being the bad news.

Are you with me so far?

Him blaming it all on GWB's disastrous invasion and occupation of Iraq is misguided and meant to deflect accountablility away from him, his people and the people who ran the city before him.

Are we clear on my point yet?

I don't think I can explain it any more simply than that.

Having an intellectual discussion with the likes of you is like banging ones head against the wall. I think I will pass. Have fun talking to yourself - you are the only one listening. congratulations.

Guest Guest
Having an intellectual discussion with the likes of you is like banging ones head against the wall. I think I will pass. Have fun talking to yourself - you are the only one listening. congratulations.

I'm the only one "listening", but you're responding to me???

How does that work???

Nice tactic: when you lose the arguement, give up and insult the winner.

I think you have some sort of chemical inbalance.

Guest Guest
Anyone out there that actually wishes to discuss the issue?

@

I was discussing the issue until Mr. BDS Guy Wannabe started his argumentative crap.

Guest Guest

So you don't believe that in order to foot our THREE TRILLION dollar tab for the war GWB cut any of the social programs that were in place before he took the presidency... Interesting... and Ryan should have the power to bring Binghamton back to life in spite of the economy in NY state and the ENTIRE country? Good God! Do you know anything about the Vista program and where it's funding comes from? probably not.

Guest Guest
So you don't believe that in order to foot our THREE TRILLION dollar tab for the war GWB cut any of the social programs that were in place before he took the presidency... Interesting... and Ryan should have the power to bring Binghamton back to life in spite of the economy in NY state and the ENTIRE country? Good God! Do you know anything about the Vista program and where it's funding comes from? probably not.

Name one monumental thing Vista has done to make Binghamton better?

I don't know of one? Nota!!!!! One!!!!

Guest Guest
Name one monumental thing Vista has done to make Binghamton better?

I don't know of one? Nota!!!!! One!!!!

Then why are you complaining that the number of VISTAS will not increase? and what is the point of your question? you are replying to a statement that addresses the connection between GWB and the cut in VISTA funding. Now, tell me where in the VISTA mission statement does it say that their accomplishments need be "monumental"? What do you mean by that? what do you consider "monumental" and how is that related to the VISTA mission?

Guest Guest

Most of the $ GWB spent for the useless incursion into Iraq is BORROWED. That means we haven't paid it yet. Which means he hasn't taken it out of our taxes yet. Which means he never will, some other President and Congress will have to.

Guest Guest

What did Bush cut that's hurting us so badly?

There's a Democrat congress. I don't recall any budget vetoes recently.

I think the Bush war excuse is convenient but inaccurate.

Guest Guest
What did Bush cut that's hurting us so badly?

There's a Democrat congress. I don't recall any budget vetoes recently.

I think the Bush war excuse is convenient but inaccurate.

GWB had a Rep. Congress for 6 years.

You Bushbots conveniently keep forgetting that.

@

Archived