UE best sports program in southern Tier NY

Guest UE fan

Guest UE fan

UE has Kaz in the NFL and now Johnson in MLB. UE puts the most players in D1 college programs and major league sports. WHo else is playing professionally in the area other than these two and they both come from the same school. UE also has Folli in the minors. I knowthere are other local players in the minors but not in MLB. UE also produced Johnny Logan that played for the Milwaukee Brewers and Joe Mott that played for the Jets. Although UE does not have the highest profiled player to come out of the greater southern Tier as in Ernie Davis from EFA, but pound for pound the most accomplished sports program in this area for producing nationally recognized talent.

UE also has Arthur Jones for SU who was second team all Big East in just his sophomore year. It looks like to me that he will be drafted some day- just a prediction.

No other school in greater Binghatmon can even claim number 1 in the area. Nobody nada not even close.

Thoughts?

Guest another guest
UE has Kaz in the NFL and now Johnson in MLB. UE puts the most players in D1 college programs and major league sports. WHo else is playing professionally in the area other than these two and they both come from the same school. UE also has Folli in the minors. I knowthere are other local players in the minors but not in MLB. UE also produced Johnny Logan that played for the Milwaukee Brewers and Joe Mott that played for the Jets. Although UE does not have the highest profiled player to come out of the greater southern Tier as in Ernie Davis from EFA, but pound for pound the most accomplished sports program in this area for producing nationally recognized talent.

UE also has Arthur Jones for SU who was second team all Big East in just his sophomore year. It looks like to me that he will be drafted some day- just a prediction.

No other school in greater Binghatmon can even claim number 1 in the area. Nobody nada not even close.

Thoughts?This is silly. Is Montrose a football powerhouse because Chris Snee played there? how about Oneonta-after all they had an all-pro lineman Mark May back in the 70's. (he played on a team that was 0 and something -terrible). All schools have quality athletes-many are out for no sports or the wrong sports or they get sucked in by a coach into only one sport- but to claim the title as the best HS to produce good athgletea is foolish. Over time even small schools have someone make it.

Guest Guest

UE is an old IBM Working Fathers Town, where they could get great athletes because there was good income and opportunity with thier parents salary!

Guest Ron Luciano MLB umpire

Thoughts?

I agree completely. U.E. also produced pro golfer Richie karl and pro bowlers who were on tv winning tournaments Gus lampo and Mike orlovsky, U.E. has produced the most D1 athletes and it is not even close in sports like football and baseball

Guest JoMama

Thoughts?

Yeah but not too good on history...Logan played for the braves

Guest guest parent

I concur. UE also produced an Outland trophy winner back in the 1930s- but do not recall his name. Ue is by far historically from the past 60 yrs the most recognized sports program in the area bar none. I would have to say that Vestal is second. What is really impressive is that three quarters of UE 's starting football team in 79 went D1. THat has to be an NY state football record of somesort.

Look at even the coaches in football.

Football- Fran Angeline and Ty Cobb- Both of them are in the top 25 most winningest coaches in NY state high school football history. No other team has more than one except UE.

And now possibly the best baseball team in high school in the area this year is coached by who else- a UE grad in Dave Tidick.

Football- most history - yes ahead of Forks

Baseball- Most history

Basketball- second most history behind Binghamton

soccer- second most history behind Vestal

swimming- most history

bowling- most history

Golf- most history

wrestling- second most history behind JC

cheerleading- most history :)

track- most history- lately not though

ANy thoughts?

Guest Guest
swimming- most history

wrestling- second most history behind JC

When talking Broome County I'd have to disagree with those two. The others are hard to argue against. (even though others have better historical win percentages in some of the other sports).

Guest guest
When talking Broome County I'd have to disagree with those two. The others are hard to argue against. (even though others have better historical win percentages in some of the other sports).

disagree?

Ue dominated swimming for decades up until 1992 or so. Both boys and girls. Yes the last fifteen yrs has been average but from 1970-1990 it was a juggernaut.

Wrestling? After JC it is defintely UE as a team. YOu have other schools with great programs but UE is defintely second.

WHo would you aregue as the best swim program and the second best wrestling program?

Guest Guest

OK, now from an unbias spectator in these sports. U-E may be the top overall program in the Binghamton area, but not in all of the Southern Tier. I've been watching spots in section IV for over 30 years. Here are the top schools at each sport:

Football - Elmira Free Academy. These guys were winning back to back sectional championships for years in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. Of course Ernie Davis attended the school, Josh Trexler went to Buffalo to play Linebacker, and Coon-Ribble attended Syracuse in the early 2000's.

Baseball- Horseheads High School. Greg Keagle, Kurt Manwaring, and others have all made it to the pros. Manwaring even won a gold glove behind the plate. Again, more sectional baseball championships than U-E.

Basketball- Elmira Free Academy. Will Campbell was the most recent (averaged a double double his senior season at UAB), but others such as Nick Weiermiller (U Texas-Pan American) and Jason Thomas (all time leading scorer/assists at SUNY Cortland). They have won more sectional championships than any other school.

soccer- Vestal. Great Program

swimming- No idea

bowling- No idea

Golf- Horseheads. Hands down...Joey Sindelar (PGA tour), Mike Hulbert (PGA Tour), and now Jamie Sindelar (Committed to Ohio State) are all Horseheads alum.

wrestling- Johnson City; however, the Elmira wrestlers have been great. The Reese kid from Elmira Southside went to Michigan in the 90's.

cheerleading- No idea...cheerleading isn't even considered a sport by New York State.

track- Elmira Southside. They were on a decade long unbeaten streak in the 90's!! That's uncomparable.

Guest Guest
track- Elmira Southside. They were on a decade long unbeaten streak in the 90's!! That's uncomparable.

Actually U-E track had an unbeaten streak from 1974 to 1986, broken by Binghamton; then UE went unbeaten for the next 5 years after that. U-E also set a team record in 1988 at the STAC championships, winning the meet with more points than the next 3 schools combined. That season UE sent its 4x4 and 4x8 teams to states with the 4x1 missing because of a dropped stick on the third leg an a comfortable lead. Thats back when only 1 team went to states, not multiple teams. Brian Clas from that group still holds every distance record in Section 4 above the 800 (the steeple wasn't run then), Clas later won the USTAF 20k title and made the Olympic qualifiers twice. UE's track history dwarfs ESS. UE also dominated the old Section 4 Relays meets winning the Class A title 12 times in a row (beating all the Elmira schools).

Guest Guest
Actually U-E track had an unbeaten streak from 1974 to 1986, broken by Binghamton; then UE went unbeaten for the next 5 years after that. U-E also set a team record in 1988 at the STAC championships, winning the meet with more points than the next 3 schools combined. That season UE sent its 4x4 and 4x8 teams to states with the 4x1 missing because of a dropped stick on the third leg an a comfortable lead. Thats back when only 1 team went to states, not multiple teams. Brian Clas from that group still holds every distance record in Section 4 above the 800 (the steeple wasn't run then), Clas later won the USTAF 20k title and made the Olympic qualifiers twice. UE's track history dwarfs ESS. UE also dominated the old Section 4 Relays meets winning the Class A title 12 times in a row (beating all the Elmira schools).

You just spoke about one year (1988). What have they done lately?

Guest Guest

I think UE is the best around here because the kids around endicott are usually playing football basketball or baseball because they never have anything better to do

Guest sports expert
I think UE is the best around here because the kids around endicott are usually playing football basketball or baseball because they never have anything better to do

To rebutt a few earlier posts. U.E. has the edge over Horseheads in baseball. Pete Sylvester was winning STAC titles year after year before they even had sectionals. Then Folli came around and won two State titles in a three year period. Also U.E. has had more D1 players then Horsheads.

Bowling,U .E./ has been the king for years boys and girls with a fewe state titles.

Golf, U.E. was the king for years but has been average the last 15 years. I would still say U.E. and Richie karl has the best golfing history.

Track, U.E. without question They were unbeaten for 12 straight years, U.E. track won Sectionals and or STAC the last two years, tied with ithaca one year, not sure if it was STAC or Sect4

Football is U.E. on the basis of the twp pro players, the outland trophy winner matisi, and the fact that they have had way more D1 players then anybody.

Wrestling is JC first and U.E, if you start the clock around 1970, or ithaca iif you go all time. Ithaca was good in the 50s and 60s before U.E. had a team

Soccer is Vestal first U.E. second in the boys, reverse that for girls soccer.

basketball is Binghaton in first, U.E. second and nobody else close. U.E. has had three big time D1 players in basketball and Binghaton just one. Vestal had one with Siock.

Guest Guest
Football is U.E. on the basis of the twp pro players, the outland trophy winner matisi, and the fact that they have had way more D1 players then anybody.

Wrestling is JC first and U.E, if you start the clock around 1970, or ithaca iif you go all time. Ithaca was good in the 50s and 60s before U.E. had a team

Not going to argue about U-E and football, but proclaiming something that happened in THE THIRTIES (Matisi) as a factor in your claim is way beyond laughable. It was SEVENTY-TWO years ago! Not to mention he didn't win The Outland. That trophy was created in 1946.

As for wrestling, I'd put Forks ahead of U-E, even before Nickerson's run. They are right behind U-E for third overall in Section 4 champions from 1945 to 2003 (the years there were one champ in each class), and have a winning dual-meet record against U-E since your date of starting the clock. Which reminds me you start the clock for wrestling at 1979 but go back to the days of freakin' FDR to support your football argument. How convenient. U-E does however have more individual wrestlers having won state titles, but Forks has more individuals participating (win or lose) in the state finals. I'd proclaim Forks #2 behind JC because they are that close to U-E stats and one-third the size.

Yes, U-E has the most storied history it seems in sports overall going back in time, but it's not as dominant as their followers think. They see things only through orange-colored glasses slanting their arguments (like including Matisi above but counting wrestling only since 1970).

Not a U-E alum, but proud of what they have brought to the region. Proud of all of the schools that have brought some good sports to the region.

Guest Guest
To rebutt a few earlier posts. U.E. has the edge over Horseheads in baseball. Pete Sylvester was winning STAC titles year after year before they even had sectionals. Then Folli came around and won two State titles in a three year period. Also U.E. has had more D1 players then Horsheads.

Bowling,U .E./ has been the king for years boys and girls with a fewe state titles.

Golf, U.E. was the king for years but has been average the last 15 years. I would still say U.E. and Richie karl has the best golfing history.

Track, U.E. without question They were unbeaten for 12 straight years, U.E. track won Sectionals and or STAC the last two years, tied with ithaca one year, not sure if it was STAC or Sect4

Soccer is Vestal first U.E. second in the boys, reverse that for girls soccer.

basketball is Binghaton in first, U.E. second and nobody else close. U.E. has had three big time D1 players in basketball and Binghaton just one. Vestal had one with Siock.

This is possibly the most bias post in the history of this forum.

Guest Guest
Football - Elmira Free Academy. These guys were winning back to back sectional championships for years in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. Of course Ernie Davis attended the school, Josh Trexler went to Buffalo to play Linebacker, and Coon-Ribble attended Syracuse in the early 2000's.

Sectionals started in 1980, so whatever they won before that was division or league titles. EFA has five section 4 titles in football, which is 4th or 5th in the section.

If you still want to count the 50s, 60s and 70s in football, then you DO have to add U-E's division/league titles, Windsors', of course Forks. Throw in what the alum did after school, U-E climbs to the top for the region. Keep it at the high school accomplishments only and their level, which IS fair, then it opens the argument to EFA, U-E, Vestal, Forks, Windsor, Oxford and if going beyond the tier, Tioga, Walton, Delhi. Pound for pound, team vs team, playing all the others listed, it's U-E (mostly due to their school size. Pro-rate them down in size and they fall to 4th or 5th, but right now they are tops)

Guest Sarge
Not going to argue about U-E and football, but proclaiming something that happened in THE THIRTIES (Matisi) as a factor in your claim is way beyond laughable. It was SEVENTY-TWO years ago! Not to mention he didn't win The Outland. That trophy was created in 1946.

As for wrestling, I'd put Forks ahead of U-E, even before Nickerson's run. They are right behind U-E for third overall in Section 4 champions from 1945 to 2003 (the years there were one champ in each class), and have a winning dual-meet record against U-E since your date of starting the clock. Which reminds me you start the clock for wrestling at 1979 but go back to the days of freakin' FDR to support your football argument. How convenient. U-E does however have more individual wrestlers having won state titles, but Forks has more individuals participating (win or lose) in the state finals. I'd proclaim Forks #2 behind JC because they are that close to U-E stats and one-third the size.

Yes, U-E has the most storied history it seems in sports overall going back in time, but it's not as dominant as their followers think. They see things only through orange-colored glasses slanting their arguments (like including Matisi above but counting wrestling only since 1970).

Not a U-E alum, but proud of what they have brought to the region. Proud of all of the schools that have brought some good sports to the region.

I have got to go with U.E. over CF for wrestling for this reason. Second only counts in horse shoes.

CF has won very few STAC championships, usually they finish behind JC. In the 1970s U.E. was the dominant team and once went about 3 or 4 seasons without losing while they were state ranked.

U.E. also was state champs winning the U.E. tourney when isiah was a Senior in the mid 90s.

So on the basis of winning championships it is U.E. over CF. The poster admitted that prior to 1970 not 1979 Ithaca had more Sectional champs if you count the era before U.E. had a team.

Guest Guest

> I have got to go with U.E. over CF for wrestling for this reason. Second only counts in horse shoes.<

OK, then let's count overall state championships for wrestlers instead of individuals. Forks wins. Second counts in wrestling too, team scores.

> CF has won very few STAC championships, usually they finish behind JC. In the 1970s U.E. was the dominant team and once went about 3 or 4 seasons without losing while they were state ranked. <

U-E wasn't as dominant overall in the 70s as you'd like to believe. JC DID in fact start their climb in the 70s and had some stellar years, and Forks did beat U-E in at least 4 duals in the 70s.

> U.E. also was state champs winning the U.E. tourney when isiah was a Senior in the mid 90s.<

Back then the Duals were not considered as high as they are now, but still that was a great team that year.

> So on the basis of winning championships it is U.E. over CF. The poster admitted that prior to 1970 not 1979 Ithaca had more Sectional champs if you count the era before U.E. had a team. <

Well, let's put it this way, CF at one-third U-E's size is ahead in state championship wrestlers, a couple behind in Section 4 championship wrestlers AND has a winning record vs U-E in dual meets, I'd say you're checkmated. If Forks had twice as many students as they do now (still 4oo or more behind U-E), we wouldn't even be having this conversation, U-E would not be close.

U-E isn't king in everything.

Guest guest
This is possibly the most bias post in the history of this forum.

Biased? How so?- please argue that UE isn't the most storied sports school in the Binghamton era if you go back in time. UE hands down in all sports combined. UE is first- or second in every single sport except the following-

in boys sports- lacrosse and tennis- that is it. maybe wrestling(Forks at second- but each could make their claim_ name another boy sport where UE is not at least second? you can't

Archived