aol reports that a child got suspended

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Aol reported that a child got suspended for two days at his school because he was talking on his cell phone. Cell phones are not allowed during class time. The mother is upset because it was his father he was talking to and he was cslling from Iraq. what's she complaining about? rules are reules. I say suspend him for a week.

Guest flossy
Aol reported that a child got suspended for two days at his school because he was talking on his cell phone. Cell phones are not allowed during class time. The mother is upset because it was his father he was talking to and he was cslling from Iraq. what's she complaining about? rules are reules. I say suspend him for a week.

Im sure there are extenuating circumstances that administrators should take into account. Maybe the kid shouldve discussed it with the admins and the teacher before hand. But really, suspension for two days?

@

Guest Guest

Pretty big assumption for a KID to know his dad would call him from Iraq during school hours. Take the suspension, and then go to the next school board meeting and embarass the principal by complaining in an open forum. The hell with the one day of suspension.

@

Guest Guest

These types of stories crack me up. You would think the teacher and school admin would have put this all together before suspending the student. Most districts have a policy limiting cell phone use during the school day and not allowing them during instructional time... Knowing the circumstances, the teacher should have given the student a quiet non-disruptive space to speak with the father calling from Iraq. While the student was talking, the teacher could have simply stated to the class that this was the exception, etc. Perhaps there is more to the story but maybe not. There have been enough stories now about admin horribly screwing up a simple issue that could have been rectified without an embarassment to the district, etc.

Guest Guest

It is obvious that you do not have a loved one serving in Iraq........

@

Guest concerned ex military wife

@

Having been a military wife for many years, yes he should not be suspended from school. The difference in hours between here and Iraq make it difficult for the dad to call his son. Kids of the military have to put up with many separations from a parent, also have to move a lot. They have no family in the immediate area where they are living. The administration should have sensivity training in order to help these kids who have a need to talk to their dad or mom. Walk in their shoes and then judge. I had 4 children who lived this life.

Guest ex military parent

@

Having been a military wife with 4 children I can understand why this child wanted to talk to his dad. These kids have a rough life give them a break. Dad's in Iraq and I'm sure the child worries everyday whether or not he will see his dad again. Also the time difference makes it difficult for a child to talk to his or her parent who is protecting our country. The teachers need to be taught how to handle children in these situations. Don't judge unless you have walked in their shoes. For the most part their familes are miles away in this country, and all they have is the one parent trying to do his or her best by the child.

Guest GI Joe

First lest talk about the difference in time between NY and Iraq of which i dont know, then the soldiers availability to a phone all of these need to be considered. other than that the call could have been made at another time. Surely it could have been over looked with a proper explanation.

Guest Guest
Having been a military wife with 4 children I can understand why this child wanted to talk to his dad. These kids have a rough life give them a break. Dad's in Iraq and I'm sure the child worries everyday whether or not he will see his dad again. Also the time difference makes it difficult for a child to talk to his or her parent who is protecting our country. The teachers need to be taught how to handle children in these situations. Don't judge unless you have walked in their shoes. For the most part their familes are miles away in this country, and all they have is the one parent trying to do his or her best by the child.

I disagree that teachers need to be taught how to handle these situations. This is the rule set by administration. Teachers are supposed to implement the rules. It is the administration that won't return calls or change the punishment. I do think the student and parent should have made it clear in a note ahead of time to the teacher and adminstration that the student would be carrying the phone for that reason and that reason only. Too many kids have abused privildges and that is why rules seem over the top.

Guest ex military parent
no cell phones in school period

it's that simple

I disagree with your reply, after 9/11 and all the school shootings a cell phone has become a necessary item for our kids. We are probably talking a military community and they of all people should understand the situation. I agree the kids should not misuse the priviledge of a cell phone, but give me a break. I am not a kid, I am a mother and a grandmother and past 70 yrs. of age. I understand what this boy is going through. Seems we have no tolerance for anything anymore as it wouldn't be politically correct. Get over it these are kids with special circumstances.

@

Guest Guest
I disagree with your reply, after 9/11 and all the school shootings a cell phone has become a necessary item for our kids. We are probably talking a military community and they of all people should understand the situation. I agree the kids should not misuse the priviledge of a cell phone, but give me a break. I am not a kid, I am a mother and a grandmother and past 70 yrs. of age. I understand what this boy is going through. Seems we have no tolerance for anything anymore as it wouldn't be politically correct. Get over it these are kids with special circumstances.

@

This is not an issue of politically correctedness. Kids like to talk on the phone, text each other, e-mail answers to tests, alert each other when someone is going to get beat up. Kids are exactly the same as they always were except phones are a lot more efficient than note passing. The problem is that you can justify needing a phone, to be available to your parents, but you can't justify passing notes. Where do schools draw the line? If this was a story about a kid who took a phone call, the teacher said and did nothing, and the kid went out after class, based on the phone call and beat the daylights out of someone, people would be up in arms that the kid had a phone. Bottom line, if the kid knew he wasn't supposed to have a phone in school, he and his mom should have gone to the principal and asked for permission due to his father's situation. There would be no story then.

@

Guest ex military parent
This is not an issue of politically correctedness. Kids like to talk on the phone, text each other, e-mail answers to tests, alert each other when someone is going to get beat up. Kids are exactly the same as they always were except phones are a lot more efficient than note passing. The problem is that you can justify needing a phone, to be available to your parents, but you can't justify passing notes. Where do schools draw the line? If this was a story about a kid who took a phone call, the teacher said and did nothing, and the kid went out after class, based on the phone call and beat the daylights out of someone, people would be up in arms that the kid had a phone. Bottom line, if the kid knew he wasn't supposed to have a phone in school, he and his mom should have gone to the principal and asked for permission due to his father's situation. There would be no story then.

@

As I understood the story the teacher knew it was his father calling from Iraq, having been in the mother's situation I probably would not have thought of contacting the principal. You try to take care of your children's needs. Unless you have been in the position of being both mother & father while the other parent is deployed you have no concept of the hell that life is. Your main concern is your children. Evidently the boy had a serious problem and needed his dad. Why do you have a problem with that? He did not use the cell phone to talk all day or text to people he answered the call from his dad. Have some compassion.

Guest Guest

if my kid is taking a test, or trying to learn, and everyone's cellys are going off i have an issue with it.

why the preferential treatment to kids of vets/ they knew what their job was when they enlisted, and chose that path. can I call my kid in school from europe if i'm on business for a month? or is there a rule that says a soldiers kid misses him more than everyone else?

no cell phones in school.

It may not have been my father, But my brother and friends just returned from Iraq and any time they called, Was so lucky because she is right they don't get to sit around and talk all day! They are over there fighting, and you don't know if that call is going to be the last that you will ever get , Give the kid a break , His father is fighting for US

Being a Military Wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt, Cousin........

I feel bad for this boy. Life sucks when mom/dad are away FIGHTING for OUR RIGHTS. I personaly would put the anger away and take the day of suspension and BE PROUD of Dad/Mom!!

I wish this family well! And thank Dad for his service!

Guest ex military parent
It may not have been my father, But my brother and friends just returned from Iraq and any time they called, Was so lucky because she is right they don't get to sit around and talk all day! They are over there fighting, and you don't know if that call is going to be the last that you will ever get , Give the kid a break , His father is fighting for US

Thank you for understanding, as we both know it is a very hard life for a child of active duty. To the one on the business trip think of what you said as your life is not on the line like this boy's dad is. Most people on here have no conception of the problems, and yes his dad choose to be in the military, and you are free to take business trips because of his service. Some people do take pride in their country and their military. You just don't get it.

if my kid is taking a test, or trying to learn, and everyone's cellys are going off i have an issue with it.

why the preferential treatment to kids of vets/ they knew what their job was when they enlisted, and chose that path. can I call my kid in school from europe if i'm on business for a month? or is there a rule that says a soldiers kid misses him more than everyone else?

no cell phones in school.

There is a big difference between a business trip to Europe, and occupying a war-torn country.

Guest Guest
Pretty big assumption for a KID to know his dad would call him from Iraq during school hours. Take the suspension, and then go to the next school board meeting and embarass the principal by complaining in an open forum. The hell with the one day of suspension.

@

I say these PARENTS ARE NUTS to pay for their kid to have a cell phone anyway..what did our kids do or us before cell phone..if something is an emergency go to the office to call....RIDICULOUS..THESE GREEDY KIDS WANT EVERYTHING NOW..CARS, CELL PHONES.that is why our world is like it is now..parents give them way too much..without asking for any money to help out..

I saw this story on the news last week.

The father had made arrangements with the Assistant Principal before he left for Iraq. They agreed that the child would be able to talk to the father whenever he was able to call - the father having acknowledged that it would not be often.

This school is near a military base and has many students whose parents are serving in IRAQ.

The long and short of it is that the school erred this time. They have apologized and enacted new policy to ensure the kids can talk to their parent(s) serving in Iraq.

The mother's main beef at this point is that the childs record be cleared of this infraction.

Guest Guest

AND what did these kids who's fathers were in Vietnam do before Cell Phones..STop spoiling your kids and take those cell phones away ..unless they are working to pay for them themselves..

@

Guest silentone
I agree debbers84 give the kid a damn break his dad called from over seas fighting for his country and people who said the kid deserved to be suspneded have no shame or respect i say the kid should never been suspended in the first place leave the kid alone for once

Guest Guest
Most people on here have no conception of the problems, and yes his dad choose to be in the military, and you are free to take business trips because of his service.

and my taxes, and the revenue i generate in my business all go to subsidize our military, so I pay his salary

Guest Guest
There is a big difference between a business trip to Europe, and occupying a war-torn country.

not really...both doingnthe jobs we signed up for, both contributing to an american way of life

Archived