aol reports that a child got suspended

Guest Guest

Guest (In)considerate
AND what did these kids who's fathers were in Vietnam do before Cell Phones..STop spoiling your kids and take those cell phones away ..unless they are working to pay for them themselves..

@

One of the most considerate posts in history. NOT!

Guest ex military parent
One of the most considerate posts in history. NOT!

Wow you said it. No sense, no compassion, no brain. Why they can't understand the situation I'll never understand. My husband was in Viet Nam he was a helicopter pilot and I well know the Viet Nam era. Back them we did not have cell phones, or computers like today. This is a special situation and the dad tried to get the school to let him speak to his son. Sick situation. They may have apologized for this, but what is the poor boy thinking?

AND what did these kids who's fathers were in Vietnam do before Cell Phones..STop spoiling your kids and take those cell phones away ..unless they are working to pay for them themselves..

@

If the technology was available back then I am sure they would have called home then also!! And may I ask you what business it is of yours WHO pays the cell phone bills??

@

Guest ex military parent
If the technology was available back then I am sure they would have called home then also!! And may I ask you what business it is of yours WHO pays the cell phone bills??

@

Hi Mother of 3 you are right on. 58,000 lost in Viet Nam and I'll just bet they would have loved to be able to call wives, parents and children. I'm proud of my husbands service. Who does pay his bills? Good question. How can he say we should deprive a son of an active duty serviceman in Iraq the chance to talk to his son. No brain.

Guest Guest
Aol reported that a child got suspended for two days at his school because he was talking on his cell phone. Cell phones are not allowed during class time. The mother is upset because it was his father he was talking to and he was cslling from Iraq. what's she complaining about? rules are reules. I say suspend him for a week.

You need a life.

@

Guest ex military parent
You need a life.

@

This is so off subject it is sick. What don't you people understand about this boy being separated from his dad in Iraq. A child has needs and sometimes we need to bend the rules in a situation like this. The boy is obviously upset and needs his dad and if a phone call can help him who are we to judge this situation. This whole thing and the attitudes of some of you people really get to me. Do you have any idea of the tough job this mother has? I've been there I know first hand. A lot of people on here need to get a life.

Guest Guest

Rules are rules. If you let someone slide people the rule becomes less and less enforced. Sure there are exeptions to rules.

As a parent, if it were known that my child were expecting such an important phone call, I would have called and spoken with the principal BEFORE the fact. If I didn't know BEFORE the fact, my child should not have had the phone in the first place and would deserve punishment.

Parents need to stop defanding their children so much and start taking the side of the trusted adults at school. If you don't trust them, home school you kids.

Guest ex military parent
Rules are rules. If you let someone slide people the rule becomes less and less enforced. Sure there are exeptions to rules.

As a parent, if it were known that my child were expecting such an important phone call, I would have called and spoken with the principal BEFORE the fact. If I didn't know BEFORE the fact, my child should not have had the phone in the first place and would deserve punishment.

Parents need to stop defanding their children so much and start taking the side of the trusted adults at school. If you don't trust them, home school you kids.

You obviously have no idea how hard it is for a military wife to be on duty 24/7 and have all the responsibility fall on your shoulders. I seriously hope that you are never in that position, because quite frankly you would fold. To be both mom and dad, take care of the home front and all the problems that come with that responsibility. This is not a matter of defending their children, and the adults at the school can be wrong. In this situation they were very wrong. What are you a teacher?

@

Guest Guest
You obviously have no idea how hard it is for a military wife to be on duty 24/7 and have all the responsibility fall on your shoulders. I seriously hope that you are never in that position, because quite frankly you would fold. To be both mom and dad, take care of the home front and all the problems that come with that responsibility. This is not a matter of defending their children, and the adults at the school can be wrong. In this situation they were very wrong. What are you a teacher?

@

Are you dissing single parents who never have someone to pick up the slack or call from Iraq? What is wrong with following rules? Isn't that what the military is all about? Yes, all adults can be wrong but we still could role model better to our kids if we are all they've got!

@

You apparently didn't learn to READ in school. I stated in a previous post that the father had made arrangements BEFORE HE LEFT FOR IRAQ and was told it was ok. Furthermore, the school apologized because it made a mistake and acknowledged it AFTER the kid already withstood the punishment.

Guest ex military parent
Are you dissing single parents who never have someone to pick up the slack or call from Iraq? What is wrong with following rules? Isn't that what the military is all about? Yes, all adults can be wrong but we still could role model better to our kids if we are all they've got!

@

You would never understand what I am saying. You have a closed mind. RULES seem to be your only concern. The dad talked to the school before he left and was this his 1st trip to Iraq or his 4th tour of duty. I'm sure that boy would never want to come to you with a problem. You have no conception of military life and the terrible toll it takes. All the military moms I knew including myself were excellent role models for their children, and the kids went on to have a very productive life. Get over it "you perfect by the RULES person.

Guest Guest

Well ain't you just ALL THAT?

Bully for you, pal. I sincerely hope to God you don't have kids...punish your kid for talking to his dad in Iraq during (gasp!) school hours? What a MORON.

Tell you this, if I had to work at job where I couldn't take a phone call from a loved one in a war zone I would be OUT OF THERE in a hearbeat.

I don't care if this kid was in class, meeting with the principal or having an audience with the Pope, he/she simply should have said, 'please excuse me, this is my dad calling from a war zone and I need to speak to him for a few minutes'. End of story.

Now, if the school is totally anal about it and freaks out about the kid having a cell phone, then they should call in the mom and the child and discuss the situation. This is what, as a parent, I would say to the admin "Imagine if my kid didn't take the call/have the phone on him because GOD FORBID he might miss 10 min of chem class and his dad is killed that night!!!!!! Then how would you feel about your flipping policy?" And then offer to allow the admin or a trusted teacher to review the calls/texts that the kid sends/receives during school hours. C'mon, there are a dozen solutions to this that are far more appropriate than this one.

And I am a teacher. I wouldn't deny any, any, any child that opportunity. Schools are - for better or worse - often character education centers too.....it is a great opportunity for a teacher to speak about kindness, compassion and REASONABLENESS.

Guest ex military parent2
Well ain't you just ALL THAT?

Bully for you, pal. I sincerely hope to God you don't have kids...punish your kid for talking to his dad in Iraq during (gasp!) school hours? What a MORON.

Tell you this, if I had to work at job where I couldn't take a phone call from a loved one in a war zone I would be OUT OF THERE in a hearbeat.

I don't care if this kid was in class, meeting with the principal or having an audience with the Pope, he/she simply should have said, 'please excuse me, this is my dad calling from a war zone and I need to speak to him for a few minutes'. End of story.

Now, if the school is totally anal about it and freaks out about the kid having a cell phone, then they should call in the mom and the child and discuss the situation. This is what, as a parent, I would say to the admin "Imagine if my kid didn't take the call/have the phone on him because GOD FORBID he might miss 10 min of chem class and his dad is killed that night!!!!!! Then how would you feel about your flipping policy?" And then offer to allow the admin or a trusted teacher to review the calls/texts that the kid sends/receives during school hours. C'mon, there are a dozen solutions to this that are far more appropriate than this one.

And I am a teacher. I wouldn't deny any, any, any child that opportunity. Schools are - for better or worse - often character education centers too.....it is a great opportunity for a teacher to speak about kindness, compassion and REASONABLENESS.

Thank you, you express my feelings. Thank God we still have teachers like you. You are to be admired. As a former military wife my spirits are lifted by your intelligent remarks. Yes, it could well be a learning experience for other students to learn kindness, compassion and reasonableness. Thank you.

@

Archived