Binghamton May Allow Skateboarders

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Tonight City Council led by Sean Massey may allow skateboarders on most streets and sidewalks except for the downtown area. New York State passed a law in 2004 that all skateboarders in public areas under the age of 14 must wear a helmet. I already see young skateboarders all over Binghamton with no helmets and when I am not home they use my driveway for a skateboard park!

Guest Guest

So if skateboarders are in the middle of city streets blocking traffic, you better not run into them with your vehicle because they may be given every right to be there!

Guest Guest

Skateboarding damages the concrete, cement, stone, marble, wood, metal, paint, and anything else the wheels and board touch, not to mention the damage done by flying skateboards to windows, cars, rolling into traffic causing accidents. Besides that there's the liability factor. If people are allowed to skate on puplic sidewalks and they injure themselves or someone else, the law allows those injured to sue the property owner. Cities too can be sued if they don't prevent people skating on city property. The only way to skate legally is at a designated skate park or private park with insurance where you agree to waive your rights to sue before you enter or have sign something, or do it illegally and take your chances with the law.

Guest Garo Kachadourian
Tonight City Council led by Sean Massey may allow skateboarders on most streets and sidewalks except for the downtown area. New York State passed a law in 2004 that all skateboarders in public areas under the age of 14 must wear a helmet. I already see young skateboarders all over Binghamton with no helmets and when I am not home they use my driveway for a skateboard park!

It just amazes's me how Sean Massey made this issue a prority over the Cities sensitive water increase issue. Not only that issue but the issue of the imploding the Ross building. A well renowed Magician on TV Criss Angel who would fill hotels and resturants for an event of this magnitude. The Binghamton Press does no justice for our area. By the way whom maybe benifiting finanically raising the Ross building keepingCriss Angel from coming here with TV coverage???

Who is the hair brain who is guiding this ship!

I don't want to hear the nonsense the implosion would drop other buildings. These implosion's

can be controlled, they are controlled for the building to be dropped any direction they want to by these experts.

My daughter couldn't believe what she was reading the Press Wednesday April 16th article. She said to me "Dad do they even have an idea who this is? Are they crazy don't they have the common sense of what it would do for this area let alone the City of Binghamton!!!" She remarked why isn't the City of Binghamton along with the Press supporting this.

Now BCVoice is trying to contact Criss Angel to co-sponsor along with MTV this event. We will contact the City if it's still possable after they dropped the ball.

Rachel's response on this issue is posted on one of the pages here on BCV. Just do a search for her remarks.

Guest Guest

wow make skateboarding illegal again so the kids in the city can only over crowd the teensy little skatepark at cheri lindsay

the park is already crwoded to the fences

all of you old people and cry babies are just giving the cities youth an excuse to be lazy and do nothing except sit around and start trying drugs

THIS ARE IS SO BORING

there are no oppurtunites for the youth to do anything

most kids dont want to do sports because all of the rich chosen kids in school get on the teams

or don't "fit in with the cool kids"

ALL of you people are saying you're tired of our city turning to crap

when your taking away childrens' creativity and inspiration

Guest Guest

and yea some skateboarders are bad

just like some politicians are bad

just like some businesses are bad

just like most people are bad

BUT NOT ALL

taking away privileges to not be bored

are just giving people excuses to go get high

because there is nothing else to do in this damn town

Guest Trump

I was in attendance at the meeting in January when an angry skateboarder addressed council. After he spoke, he was bombarded by Andrew Block and Sean Massey.

Why aren't all speakers given that same attention?

From the testimonial of "that brave, young man" a skateboarding coalition was formed, resulting in this proposed legislation.

Here are my problems:

1) Skate boarders already flout the existing law. I cannot begin to explain how often I see skateboarder all over the city, especially downtown. The corner of Court and Water Streets seem to be a popular gathering place.

2) What distinguishes a skateboarder using their board for transportation from a boarder using their board to perform tricks?

3) The police already have their hands full with drug dealers, prostitutes, and other criminals. Now a cop must watch a boarder long enough to distinguish exactly what they are using their board for?

4) This creates a liability for the city. Our infrastructure is poor. Very poor. Once the first boarder falls and hurts himself, the city (tax payers) will be open to a lawsuit. That sets a dangerous precedent.

Guest Guest

The thing that makes me laugh is that Ryan apparently turned down the Criss Angel proposal to implode the O'Neill Building because of "liability issues"...yet Ryan and company apparently aren't concerned about the "liability issues" that will surely result from turning the streets and sidewalks over to skateboarders.

That's some bunch of idiots you have running your city.

@

Guest guest

I was laughing out loud when I saw the article about city council addressing allowing skate boarding in the city again. Is it just me or aren't there more important problems in Binghamton? I knew this city council would be a puppet for Mayor Moonbeam but this is even more bizzare than I thought it would be.

Guest Guest
Skateboarding damages the concrete, cement, stone, marble, wood, metal, paint, and anything else the wheels and board touch, not to mention the damage done by flying skateboards to windows, cars, rolling into traffic causing accidents. Besides that there's the liability factor. If people are allowed to skate on puplic sidewalks and they injure themselves or someone else, the law allows those injured to sue the property owner. Cities too can be sued if they don't prevent people skating on city property. The only way to skate legally is at a designated skate park or private park with insurance where you agree to waive your rights to sue before you enter or have sign something, or do it illegally and take your chances with the law.

When I see kids boarding in the city streets, I usually think "Oh those d*mn kids" until I remember that I'd much rather see them than the felons who sell drugs in our streets or pimp out ugly women.

They're out in the open, where we and their parents can see where they are and what they're doing. All they have to do is give cars the right of way, which I have yet to see any of them not do.

Flying boards...hitting cars?

Really?

Accidents?

Really?

When's the last time you read about a skateboarder causing an accident in the news?

Holy crap, Mr. Helms, I'm 52, and I'm glad I'm not as old and in the way as you are.

Guest Guest

We need a skateboarding summit to hire a skateboarding coordinator. Instead of a round-a-bout, they should be building a halfpipe there.

@

Guest Guest

BUILD A BETTER/ BIGGER PARK

OR MULTIPLE PARKS

RE-OPEN EAST COAST TERMINAL

EVERYONE WHO BUILT EAST COAST STILL LIVES IN THE AREA

NOT TO MENTION EAST COAST WAS ONE OF THE BEST AND LARGEST SKATE PARKS ON THE EAST COAST

but nope broome county let that fall apart

@

(not the reason, but there could've been some financial help established)

Guest Guest

The "kid" who was leading all this?? 29 years old!! Grow up junior!!! Legal form of transportation??? OKAY.....how about operating privileges requiring a license? I have one for my transportation. MANDATORY helmets...my vehicle is required to have safety features. Lights...spend $10.00 on a headlamp. Required to obey ALL traffic laws...tickets to be issued accordingly for violations. Harass the operator of an automobile entitles the officer to confiscate the board pending a court hearing under V&T laws. You want to claim it is ONLY for transportation?? PROVE IT!!! meanwhile, the next board that shoots out in front of my car near Wall St. by the Court St. bridge better not have a kid on it or he'll be skitchin all the way to Endicott on the front bumper of my Explorer. I will and already have aimed for those boards...I won't brake for runaway boards again.

@

It just amazes me how Sean Massey made this issue a prority over the Cities sensitive water increase issue. Not only that issue but the issue of the imploding the Ross building. A well renowed Magician on TV Criss Angel who would fill hotels and resturants for an event of this magnitude. The Binghamton Press does no justice for our area. By the way whom maybe benefiting finanically raising the Ross building keeping Criss Angel from coming here with TV coverage???

After the Ross Building is gone, how about putting a skate park on that site?

It's centrally located, and would give the kids an alternative to using the parking ramps as they already do.

to all you people that say we shouldnt be allowed to skate on sidewalks, you can Not Allowed yourself. i skate board to work, and to friends houses when ever i can due to gas prices. and im never rude, or never ruin any thing. but i still get stoped by the cops etleast 1ce ever 2 weeks. you guys are just DELETED

DELETED. so if u think we shouldnt be allowed to skate, GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC cuz i could care less about ur opinion

Guest Guest

For goodness sakes, grow up! Who gives a rats petute if a kid skateboards? Gimme break, you are way tooo anal. I'm sorry you had such a horrible childood!

Archived