How do I handle a crappy landlord

Guest guest25

Guest guest25

I've been renting from the same guy for quite a few years now.... I live in a very nice neighborhood, and my neighbors are awesome....

the problem is my landlord doensn't follow through when he says he's going to. it takes forever to get anything done and even then it's half a$$ed.

I have nothing on paper with him, never signed a lease or anything but i pay a pretty price for what I live in and I don't feel i'm getting my money's worth.

Should I hold next months rent until he fixes what i was promised properly?

can i even do that?

I think you should have never rented from Saul Associates.

You can absolutely withhold next month's rent, but don't be surprised if you receive a "30-day notice" for eviction.

Guest guest25
I think you should have never rented from Saul Associates.

You can absolutely withhold next month's rent, but don't be surprised if you receive a "30-day notice" for eviction.

I don't know who Saul is but i'll remember that next time....

so I'll probably get evicted... can i even fight this in court if necessarry?

Guest Benni Booboo

DON'T WITHHOLD YOUR RENT, unless you are sure you want to, and are prepared to, move. You do not have the legal right to withhold your rent, if you do, he has the legal right to evict you. Your choices, call code enforcement (only if there are repairs to be cited), seek legal guidance and procede from there or move.

Guest Guest

its not going to be easy to fight this in court because you don't really have any binding contracts. I would try to talk civil with him first and see how he reacts. Before you bring it up though I would start looking around for another place, just in case he doesn't react the way you probably hope he will. Then, if nothing gets resolved, I would hold the rent until he fixes the things he says he will fix. I had a similar problem not long ago, and I just fixed the things that needed to be fixed, kept the receipts and deducted it from the rent. I gave the landlord the receipts along with the rent from which I deducted the cost of the repairs. He didn't have a problem with it at all. I just wouldn't do anything too expensive or too extravagant because he is liable to say that it wasn't necessary. Good luck!

Guest Guest
I've been renting from the same guy for quite a few years now.... I live in a very nice neighborhood, and my neighbors are awesome....

the problem is my landlord doensn't follow through when he says he's going to. it takes forever to get anything done and even then it's half a$$ed.

I have nothing on paper with him, never signed a lease or anything but i pay a pretty price for what I live in and I don't feel i'm getting my money's worth.

can i even do that?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest Guest

I think you should move. There are plenty of great places to rent aruond here if you do your homework. Or you could ask your landlord if you pay to have things done (necessary items) then would it be possible to deduct it from the rent.

I had a slow-to-move landlord once. Price was right for the place, my husband and I were trying to save money. When something needed fixng, I Knew that I had to facilitate it if I wanted it to get done.

can i even do that?

Life is short. Just move on.

@

Archived