Gil Thorp

east side guest

Guest Southside Johnny
Since the strip is mentioning Binghamton, how long before they mention crack, welfare, hookers & groids?

It would be pretty funny if Marty Moon, the character that broadcasts the Milford games on the radio, got caught at Rumpel's poker game or took some kind of collar in Bingledorf. I thought he was always portrayed as kind of a rogue in the strip.

It would be pretty funny if Marty Moon, the character that broadcasts the Milford games on the radio, got caught at Rumpel's poker game or took some kind of collar in Bingledorf. I thought he was always portrayed as kind of a rogue in the strip.

Now that is creative! Thanks to everyone for the posts and info on Gil Thorp. I guess what Rod Serling said is true-"Everyone has to have a hometown. Binghamton is mine". And I guess some people don't forget it (yes, I know some of you would like to....)

Guest Guest
here we go with the negativity.. Can't we just have fun for once??

How was mentioning welfare, hookers, crack & groids negative? A lot of folks around here seem to like that stuff.

Guest Guest
How was mentioning welfare, hookers, crack & groids negative? A lot of folks around here seem to like that stuff.

Don't feed the troll. He will go away if you ignore him. Kinda like Rick did.

Guest The ANSWEAR!!

Here is the answear from pressconnects.com sat. 4/46/08!

http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...RTS05/804260335

Follwers of the "Gil Thorp" comic strip in the Press & Sun-Bulletin no doubt took notice of Southern Tier references in Thursday's and Friday's editions, and can expect more in the near future.

Friday's strip focused on Milford High's 13-6 season-opening baseball victory over Chenango Forks, one day after the fictional home team played a softball season opener against the Binghamton Patriots.

"Milford every year plays Tilden, Central, Oakwood and all those teams," said Neal Rubin, a features columnist with The Detroit News who took over as writer for the Gil Thorp strip in March of 2004. "But it occurred to me, they have to play some non-conference games-- might as well deliver a shout-out to readers of the newspapers who carry the strip.

"It's fun for me. It's kind of a way to say 'Thank You' to readers of the strip though I can't actually say 'Thank You.' "

Call it writer's license, along the lines of, say, Rubin weaving into one plot a 50-point Milford whipping of Cherry Creek High-- which happens to be the archrival of Rubin's alma mater in Arapahoe County, Colo.

"It's a comic strip for Heaven's sake, it's supposed to be fun," said Rubin, who has been known to incorporate friends' names into strips, or auction for charitable purposes naming rights to a character.

As for his choices of local schools, Rubin said he begins by researching high schools in the circulation area of newspapers that subscribe to his strip.

"Binghamton, well, that was obvious," he said. "Chenango Forks, I just love the name."

He added, "I don't want to give away anything, but you'll see a couple more familiar names in upcoming weeks," noting that the Binghamton area will be represented into about the second week of May.

Guest Guest
Here is the answear from pressconnects.com sat. 4/46/08!

Ah, April 46th. Wow, do I have many memories that occurred on April 46th. ;-)

Archived