Gil Thorp

east side guest

Nah, he's right ESG. I think the Jeep Guy started one before this, and there was another one later...both got deleted. I do think the picking of Binghamton is random though. Much like the "Deathwish" movie, the real estate agent in the "Sopranos", and that poker game movie with Matt Damon...I forget the name. I think the authors just pull an obscure name out of their hat.

Guest Guest
Nah, he's right ESG. I think the Jeep Guy started one before this, and there was another one later...both got deleted. I do think the picking of Binghamton is random though. Much like the "Deathwish" movie, the real estate agent in the "Sopranos", and that poker game movie with Matt Damon...I forget the name. I think the authors just pull an obscure name out of their hat.

But: They used both names: BINGHAMTON and PATRIOTS!

But: They used both names: BINGHAMTON and PATRIOTS!

That's the part I didn't get. I thought maybe they find out what papers carry their strips etc., but it seems like they wouldn't want to go to all the work of finding out the name of the team. Thanks for the rational input regarding something I saw in the paper TODAY!

Guest Guest
That's the part I didn't get. I thought maybe they find out what papers carry their strips etc., but it seems like they wouldn't want to go to all the work of finding out the name of the team. Thanks for the rational input regarding something I saw in the paper TODAY!

Maybe they Googled - "Binghamton High School" - Then quickly saw the teams name Patriots????

Guest Guest

According to the web site, Gil Thorp got a new artist this month (Rod Whigham). I'm wondering if he's from the area? If two local schools and their mascots are mentioned two days in a row, you have to wonder...

@

According to the web site, Gil Thorp got a new artist this month (Rod Whigham). I'm wondering if he's from the area? If two local schools and their mascots are mentioned two days in a row, you have to wonder...

@

I'm with you. It seems to much of a coincidence to have just come up in a Google search.And I can defintely tell it's a new artist-everyone is all beefed up! I wonder if we BC Voicers can figure this out...

Guest Guest

Possible Binghamton Connection: This man did or does the lettering for Gil Thorp and he was born in Binhamton. He is 82.

Orlando Busino has been a cartoonist since he was a teenager in the early 1940s and he's still busy at the craft more than a half century later. "You can ask any cartoonist," he said. "They never retire -- they just keep drawing." Born in Binghamton, N.Y., in 1926, Mr. Busino started drawing as a child and by the time he was nine, planned to be a cartoonist. He graduated from the University of Iowa and studied at the School of Visual Arts, the premier institution for studying the illustrator's art. His work has appeared in McCalls, Reader's Digest, Good Housekeeping, Saturday Evening Post, and many other magazines, and he has three times won the National Cartoonists Society's award for best magazine cartoonist. But to many, especially boys, Mr. Busino is perhaps most famous for his long-running feature, Gus, a cartoon about a large dog that has appeared for 30 years in Boys' Life, the Boy Scouting magazine. "I don't know how that translates into dog years, but it's been a long time," Mr. Busino said. His cartoons have been anthologized in two books, Good Boy! (1980) and Oh, Gus! (1981). Mr. Busino and his family came to Ridgefield in 1961, and he and his longtime friend, Jerry Marcus (q.v.), have given countless cartooning demonstrations in classrooms and at libraries throughout the area. Aside from his wry sense of humor and his drawing ability, Mr. Busino is well known in the field for his skill at lettering. In recent years, he has done all the lettering on one of the world's most popular serial strips, Gil Thorp. "I've never had a real job," he once joked with an interviewer. "Once in a while I daydream I might want to direct a movie. But that only lasts for a minute." However, in another, more serious interview, he said: "I've enjoyed it all the way. Cartooning is not something you go into unless you enjoy it." Source: Notable Ridgefielders-Jack Sanders

Guest Guest
I wonder if we BC Voicers can figure this out...

The Binghamton Press has someone contacting the Chicago paper looking into it.

The new artist has quite the resume. 25 years doing DC and Marvel comics, and TONS of Star Trek artwork work.

Guest Guest
Possible Binghamton Connection: This man did or does the lettering for Gil Thorp and he was born in Binhamton. He is 82.

Nice find. I was checking Google last night trying to relate the new artist to this area and came up empty. Never thought of Googling Binghamton or other area schools with "Gil Thorp". That HAS to be the connection you found.

Will be interesting to see if Gil Thorps' gridders tackle Walton, Chenango Forks or U-E this fall.

I wonder how they match up on paper with either of them? Get it? On paper.

Guest Guest

I did find a blog page and the bloggers are real picky Gil Thop readers. They all were wondering where Binghamton was. Then Chenango forks. They speculate that since Gil Thorp's Milford High School is in Connecticut the team was playing non-conference games, but Binghamon and Chenango Forks are 4+ hour drives from Milford.

Guest Guest

Orlando Busino has been a cartoonist since he was a teenager in the early 1940s and he's still busy at the craft more than a half century later. "You can ask any cartoonist," he said. "They never retire -- they just keep drawing." Born in Binghamton, N.Y., in 1926, Mr. Busino started drawing as a child and by the time he was nine, planned to be a cartoonist. He graduated from the University of Iowa and studied at the School of Visual Arts, the premier institution for studying the illustrator's art. His work has appeared in McCalls, Reader's Digest, Good Housekeeping, Saturday Evening Post, and many other magazines, and he has three times won the National Cartoonists Society's award for best magazine cartoonist. But to many, especially boys, Mr. Busino is perhaps most famous for his long-running feature, Gus, a cartoon about a large dog that has appeared for 30 years in Boys' Life, the Boy Scouting magazine. "I don't know how that translates into dog years, but it's been a long time," Mr. Busino said. His cartoons have been anthologized in two books, Good Boy! (1980) and Oh, Gus! (1981). Mr. Busino and his family came to Ridgefield in 1961, and he and his longtime friend, Jerry Marcus (q.v.), have given countless cartooning demonstrations in classrooms and at libraries throughout the area. Aside from his wry sense of humor and his drawing ability, Mr. Busino is well known in the field for his skill at lettering. In recent years, he has done all the lettering on one of the world's most popular serial strips, Gil Thorp. "I've never had a real job," he once joked with an interviewer. "Once in a while I daydream I might want to direct a movie. But that only lasts for a minute." However, in another, more serious interview, he said: "I've enjoyed it all the way. Cartooning is not something you go into unless you enjoy it." Source: Notable Ridgefielders-Jack Sanders

Here is a pic of Orlando Busino - The man in the middle - Born in Binghamton, Lives in Ridgefield Connecticut

Does or did the lettering for Gil Thorp.

OrlandBusino.jpg

@

Thanks so much for this, because I couldn't find anything in a regular google search either. I knew that someone would figure something out.

Guest Guest

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised most people from here haven't heard of this guy. Especially since it seems like everyone here is big on cartoonists with local connections. Hopefully the PSB will do an article about him. We'll have to thank him for all the Binghamton school references. :)

Guest Guest

Thanks for the information! I'm surprised most people from here haven't heard of this guy. Especially since it seems like everyone here is big on cartoonists with local connections. Hopefully the PSB will do an article about him. We'll have to thank him for all the Binghamton school references. :)/quote]

This is from an interview with the late Johnny Hart:

Marschall: I know that Orlando Busino came from Binghamton.

Hart: That’s right, he did. Reg and Brad and Orlando were guys that rarely showed up at our little get-togethers. There was a guy named John Goetchius who lived in Watkins Glen with Jim. And a friend I worked with at General Electric, Joe Bohanicki. These two were gag writers

Not to get off the subject but it's a great interview of the late Johnny Hart:

http://cagle.msnbc.com/hogan/interviews/hart/home.asp

Archived