Gun laws

Guest Guest

Two Dead, 2 Deputies Hurt In Port Orchard Walmart Shoot Out

Two people are dead and two Kitsap County Sheriff's deputies have been injured in a shooting at the Port Orchard Walmart, law enforcement sources have confirmed to Q13 FOX News.

The suspect is dead and one young adult woman, possibly a teenager, is also dead. Police do not yet know the relationship, if any, between the two.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/kcpq-one-desd-in-officerinvolved-sh-01232011,0,6503002.story

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troy, Illinois School Board Member Charged in Knife Attacks, Father’s Murder

TROY, Ill. (KMOX) – A school board member from Troy, Illinois is charged with murdering his father and stabbing two others.

Gary Schmitt was first charged with stabbing a woman and her daughter in Effingham and after his arrest police say he admitted to beating his father to death last summer.

Prosecutors say Schmitt had recently reconnected with Kimberly Bourland and her 15 year old daughter on Facebook. Schmitt reportedly told investigators he stabbed the pair on orders from God.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/01/19/troy-illinois-school-board-member-charged-in-knife-attacks-father%E2%80%99s-murder/

Woman stabbed to death near Exposition Park

An elderly woman was stabbed to death Sunday at a residence near Exposition Park, police said.

The stabbing occurred in the 4100 block of South Budlong Avenue about 1:40 p.m., said Officer Karen Rayner of the Los Angeles Police Department.

The woman, whose name was not released, was stabbed multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene. Two people were being detained for questioning, but no arrests have been made, Rayner said. Police are still investigating the circumstances of the stabbing.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/woman-stabbed-to-death-near-exposition-park.html

How is it too expensive to own a hand gun? You purchase a hunting license every year, and people still pay it. We do it with our other dangerous weapons you claim, like our car insurance, or driver's license, if you have a pilot's license for your flying bomb you might consider a plane. My point was that you should have some sort of accountability for the things that are dangerous, and a lot of times there are fees. I mentioned nothing about costs. Have you ever priced a gun? They're expensive! A psych exam is like a doctor's visit and roughly the same cost. Heck, your medicaid would probably pay for it! Guns aren't anti-poor, but there's got to be some way to make them go through a screening process first. If not, that'd be like trying to renew your license and go down to the DMV then refuse to take the eye exam... what, blind people who can't see or read the signs should be allowed to drive too? I wouldn't suggest something like a CAT scan or MRI to scan your brain, which would be a massive expense, but a simple 1-hour psych exam would seem reasonable. And yes, annually, just like many other types of licenses.

Why does it have to be about poor people?? They're not victims here. There's nothing unreasonable about asking for an annual fee and proof that you're stable enough to carry. We're not talking about a home permit, we're talking about people in public with firearms concealed. If you're going to carry something dangerous in public, then hell yes, I want you to make the investment to prove you're not a danger to society.

You have another point. I would like to know that someone was sane if they're going to drive, fly, slice or reproduce. If someone is so irresponsible to endanger others in public, there should be someone that says "hey, you're not right in the head, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to have a dependent infant around you while driving, slicing or flying."

Wow are you uninformed.

Have you seen the price of quality firearms?

Have you seen the increase in ammunition prices?

The cost of a permit has also risen.

The gun grabbers are constantly proposing taxes that would triple or quadruple ammunition prices. And other laws that would increase the cost.

They want every person who owns a firearm to buy a safe. And on and on and on.

If you make it expensive enough, soon , only the rich and and the criminals will own guns.

The poor aren't victims???? Try to at least educate yourself a little bit. You just sound like an ignorant high schooler.

And they just happen to be the least populated states in the country.

HAHAHAHAHA

You have just illustrated how STUPID you are better than anyone on here could have done it. Get back to class junior. Study hall is over.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The good people of NH, VT, WY, ND, ME, IO, SD, UT and ID live in sparsely populated states and that is why the incidents of gun violence are less.

"Gun laws only keep good people from owning guns."? This I gotta hear - explain away......

You have to be the huge moron who doesn't understand what they mean when they say "per 100,000 residents". You don't even know how to read the statistics, let alone, interpret them. You need to find a topic on kickball or something else more your speed.

As for explaining the quote, stupid, let me help.

Only LAW ABIDING people will obey gun LAWS. CRIMINALS ingore LAWS so they do not follow them when procuring firearms. Are you truly that dense??

I love the morons on here who think they need a gun to defend themselves.

We can't all run a 6 minute mile, coward.

Some of us choose to stand our ground and defend ourselves, our loved ones, and our property.

If you want to give everything away to some scumbag (up to and including your life) go ahead.

Or are you one of those morons who relies on 911, also known as Dial a Prayer?

Law Enforcement failures.

How are they failures?

Law enforcement RESPONDS to incidents after they have happened.

They can only REACT to information that is provided to them by people who know suspects, victims, etc.

Finally, they are LIMITED in what action they can take based on the LAW.

But, if you are incapable of putting any serious thought into the crime problem, go ahead and blame the police. That is easy enough to do.

Gunman kills 2 cops, wounds marshal at Fla. home

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Two police officers died Monday after being shot in an intense firefight that erupted while they tried to arrest a suspect hiding in an attic, officials said. A U.S. marshal was injured in the incident.

The suspect identified as Hydra Lacy Jr. remained barricaded inside the south St. Petersburg house Monday where the shooting happened, Police Chief Chuck Harmon said. More than 100 rounds were fired during the shootout.

"He was somebody we wanted to get off the streets, " Harmon said. "Who expects to walk into a house and get gunfire from the attic?"

Gunman kills 2 cops, wounds marshal at Fla. home

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Two police officers died Monday after being shot in an intense firefight that erupted while they tried to arrest a suspect hiding in an attic, officials said. A U.S. marshal was injured in the incident.

The suspect identified as Hydra Lacy Jr. remained barricaded inside the south St. Petersburg house Monday where the shooting happened, Police Chief Chuck Harmon said. More than 100 rounds were fired during the shootout.

"He was somebody we wanted to get off the streets, " Harmon said. "Who expects to walk into a house and get gunfire from the attic?"

If you are going to cut and paste random articles, why don't you try the comics? Either that or state what point you are attempting to make. I was going to post an article on cooking because I was hungry. Oh well.

Sword Wielding Suspect Charged with Murder

BUFFALO, NY - A Buffalo man is now charged with murder in an incident last week that left his girlfriend dead and her daughter wounded.

Buffalo Police say an officer shot Juan Castro, 63, who they found carrying a samurai sword on Normal Avenue shortly after the attack on January 17th. He's also been charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

http://bcvoice.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=4&t=34954

2 shot to death in Prichard, Ala.

Associated Press - January 24, 2011 6:54 AM ET

PRICHARD, Ala. (AP) - Police say two men were found shot to death in a car in Prichard.

Prichard spokesman Pat Mitchell says police received a call about shots fired Sunday night and found an older model car that had crashed in a residential yard.

Mitchell says officers found two men, ages 18 and 23, with multiple gunshot wounds, and says the two were pronounced dead at the scene.

Man charged with vehicular manslaughter after crash

TOWN OF SALINA, NY (WSYR-TV) – The Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office confirms that 82-year-old Vincent Russo died Saturday after being hit by 58-year-old Michael Iannettoni in a car crash on January 9.

Iannettoni is charged with vehicular manslaughter after initially being charged with DWI.

In NYC, this is how the police want you to take out an armed gunman, in the event you can't run and hide:

"If no other option is available, and you are confronted with the gunman, we recommend trying to confront him with physical force as quickly and as aggressively as possible," Riggio said.

"Consider using pens, staples, chair legs, anything you can get your hands on, as an improvised weapon."

From the NY POSt: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/no_with_bullet_3hPIchpncriThebatpp1EJ#ixzz1BzDkah3S

Of course, if people could defend themselves in NYC, they could use their concealed weapon instead of their Swingline stapler.

In NYC, this is how the police want you to take out an armed gunman, in the event you can't run and hide:

Of course, if people could defend themselves in NYC, they could use their concealed weapon instead of their Swingline stapler.

My sister once used chopsticks. She hurried out and he was carried out.

Yes she was carrying but saw no need to use a gun.

What is it about guns that threaten or scare Liberals? Could it be they and their friends cannot easily get what they want when Americans are armed?

Mom shot, killed her three children

AUSTIN, Ind. (WDRB Fox 41) -- Indiana State Police say they've determined that three children who were found dead inside a home in Scott County, Ind. were shot to death by their biological mother.

According to a news release distributed by the Indiana State Police, 30-year-old Amanda Bennett shot and killed 14-year-old Jasmine Abbott, 9-year-old Katelynn Bennett and 4-year-old Ryan Bennett on Friday while at their home in the 200 block of New York St.

Police say that after shooting her children, Amanda Bennett started a fire in the home and took her own life.

The family dog was also shot, but is recovering in a Scott County veterinary clinic.

Quincy mother may face murder charges in death of son, 8

Posted by Metro Desk January 14, 2011

A Quincy mother may soon face criminal charges for allegedly using a hibachi charcoal stove to fill her home with the toxic fumes that claimed the life of her 8-year-old son in a failed murder-suicide attempt Thursday afternoon.

The child has been identified as Brendan Yang, a third-grader at Snug Harbor Community School. He and his mother, whose name will be released later today, were removed from the smoke-filled home on Yardarm Lane around 3:46 p.m., officials said.

Quincy mother may face murder charges in death of son, 8

Posted by Metro Desk January 14, 2011

A Quincy mother may soon face criminal charges for allegedly using a hibachi charcoal stove to fill her home with the toxic fumes that claimed the life of her 8-year-old son in a failed murder-suicide attempt Thursday afternoon.

The child has been identified as Brendan Yang, a third-grader at Snug Harbor Community School. He and his mother, whose name will be released later today, were removed from the smoke-filled home on Yardarm Lane around 3:46 p.m., officials said.

Call your congressman, get them to pass the anti-hibachi legislation now before they claim another victim!

Wow are you uninformed.

Have you seen the price of quality firearms?

Have you seen the increase in ammunition prices?

The cost of a permit has also risen.

The gun grabbers are constantly proposing taxes that would triple or quadruple ammunition prices. And other laws that would increase the cost.

They want every person who owns a firearm to buy a safe. And on and on and on.

If you make it expensive enough, soon , only the rich and and the criminals will own guns.

The poor aren't victims???? Try to at least educate yourself a little bit. You just sound like an ignorant high schooler.

Perhaps I am misinformed. Educate me. I spent over $375 getting my permit to carry, and yes that's high to some, but I didn't think it was unreasonable. I purchased a 2-shot .22 for under $200 online, and upon showing my license at the dealer, I claimed it. And .22 ammunition is dirt cheap. Perhaps ordering ammunition online is cheaper than a local NY gun shop, as well. Maybe it's not a "quality" firearm, but I wasn't shopping for a Desert Eagle. I'm not the one arguing to make owning a gun more expensive. I was trying to think of something more reasonable to evaluate those who want to carry in public, not a home permit, which is less than a carry license. Call me stupid, but I wasn't trying to sling childish insults back and forth. Maybe it was a stupid idea, but I felt proposing an idea was better than just calling every other poster an idiot. And in no way was I claiming anyone was a "victim".

Can you propose anything that would help evaluate those who carry a gun, or do you believe the laws are too strict, or are they already enough?

Perhaps I am misinformed. Educate me. I spent over $375 getting my permit to carry, and yes that's high to some, but I didn't think it was unreasonable. I purchased a 2-shot .22 for under $200 online, and upon showing my license at the dealer, I claimed it. And .22 ammunition is dirt cheap. Perhaps ordering ammunition online is cheaper than a local NY gun shop, as well. Maybe it's not a "quality" firearm, but I wasn't shopping for a Desert Eagle. I'm not the one arguing to make owning a gun more expensive. I was trying to think of something more reasonable to evaluate those who want to carry in public, not a home permit, which is less than a carry license. Call me stupid, but I wasn't trying to sling childish insults back and forth. Maybe it was a stupid idea, but I felt proposing an idea was better than just calling every other poster an idiot. And in no way was I claiming anyone was a "victim".

Can you propose anything that would help evaluate those who carry a gun, or do you believe the laws are too strict, or are they already enough?

Elitist much??? $375 is a fortune to some poor people.

A .22 2-shot derringer is about the worst possible delf defense handgun ever created. Do some reading before you make your next purchase.

A .22 is a rimfire, meaning it does not use a primer to initiate the powder charge. They are less reliable than centerfire ammunition. A .22 can kill and does so thousands of times a year. That being said, for self-defense, most people would not reccommend anything smaller than a .380 and usually stick with 9mm,.38 special, .357 mag., 40 s&W, and .45 acp. Not to speak badly about other rounds but those named are the most common. I have carried smaller.

2 shot derringer does not leave you much room for error. Even at close range, fear and adrenaline can make hitting a moving target difficult. Throw in the usual low light conditions and you have increased your chances of missing. You should probably have a few more shots available.

The 2 shot derringer is not exactly good for quick reloading either. Semi-autos are very quick to reload and with practice, a revolver is only minutely slower.

We have too many firearm laws that are only followed by the people who do not commit crimes. There are many laws that call for an increased penalty for crimes involving firearms. These are frequently not enforced and used as a bargaining chip in plea deals. It is a crappy system that benefits the criminal and penalizes the law abiding citizen.

You claim you aren't trying to make it more expensive but that is exactly what you are doing every time you throw another requirment, test, etc. on the process. They cost money and that cost is trasfered to the consumer. Economics 101.

What needs to be done is that people need to pay attention to their friends, family, co-workers, etc. and notice when they are ill, suffering from some emotional/physical problem, depressed, or whatever. Then, if the behavior reaches that level, TELL SOMEONE. It is as simple as that. Too often after a shooting or other horrible event, it comes out that the person was acting oddly, had bizzarre ideas, or was exhibiting some behavior that would lead a reasonable person to believe that they were sick, needed help, or whatever. Bottom line, should not be allowed to possess firearms. BUT THE PERSON DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING!!! People need to speak up when they see this behavior.

That would stop a lot of these incidents without infringing on law abiding citizens rights.

A .22 may not be much, but would want to stand in front of the bullet? I wouldn't. Just brandishing a gun, any gun, can be the necessary deterrent to get a perp running the other direction.

Archived