cv boys soccer horrible

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
high school sports are about winning not a feel good story of kids participating.

Thats where you are wrong, HS sports are not about winning, HS sports are about education. Like the previous poster said only 10% of HS players go on to college, its a verifiable fact most kids participate as a social action, not as a means to go to college or solely to win a championship. You want it to be about winning, but thats not the purpose of HS sports. Maybe if you weren't trying to cling to your HS glory days, or trying live through your kids success you'd realize that.

Here's a quick quote for you

"When kids play sports, they can have the opportunity to feel that they belong, feel like they are worthwhile just for being kids, be treated with respect and learn about a sense of emotional control."

For those students who continue to play sports into high school, valuable skills learned on the field can be transferred to the real world.

Employers know that to be successful, student athletes must have developed skills such as self-discipline, decision-making, problem solving and time-management."

It says nothing about winning kids are better, just kids that played are better. You have to realize that your attitude is the reason that the majority of kids stop playing sports, people who think "win at all costs" is acceptable or necessary.

Guest GUEST
Thats where you are wrong, HS sports are not about winning, HS sports are about education. Like the previous poster said only 10% of HS players go on to college, its a verifiable fact most kids participate as a social action, not as a means to go to college or solely to win a championship. You want it to be about winning, but thats not the purpose of HS sports. Maybe if you weren't trying to cling to your HS glory days, or trying live through your kids success you'd realize that.

Here's a quick quote for you

"When kids play sports, they can have the opportunity to feel that they belong, feel like they are worthwhile just for being kids, be treated with respect and learn about a sense of emotional control."

For those students who continue to play sports into high school, valuable skills learned on the field can be transferred to the real world.

Employers know that to be successful, student athletes must have developed skills such as self-discipline, decision-making, problem solving and time-management."

It says nothing about winning kids are better, just kids that played are better. You have to realize that your attitude is the reason that the majority of kids stop playing sports, people who think "win at all costs" is acceptable or necessary.

please spare us your philosophy on participation as your argument for a pathetic program. if this is how you feel then go play rec sports which is what your philosophy is intended for not high school. of course kids are going to learn all those great attributes playing in high school you referred to above but this level is competitive. you still did not answer any of the questions about the topic and you pick 5 words to comment on. you obviously have no knowledge of coaching, soccer, or how sports work in general. please stay off this thread or answer the questions.

Guest Guest
please spare us your philosophy on participation as your argument for a pathetic program. if this is how you feel then go play rec sports which is what your philosophy is intended for not high school. of course kids are going to learn all those great attributes playing in high school you referred to above but this level is competitive. you still did not answer any of the questions about the topic and you pick 5 words to comment on. you obviously have no knowledge of coaching, soccer, or how sports work in general. please stay off this thread or answer the questions.

Sorry hate to break it to you but I wrote the the previous posts about HS sports, and I don't fit your idea at all. I'm a former full scholarship D1 athlete who coaches both HS and club sports, it wasn't soccer but I have lived the life so I know what it took. If your kid wants to play win at all costs and wants to play at the next level good. Thats what travel sports are made for. HS sports are run by a school and legally can not require year round participation or action. HS sports are actually considered part of a schools academic requirements in many areas, you can even fulfill your PE credits by playing in many districts.

If a coach wants to start a year round program, thats all well and good for them, but it can not and will not ever be a requirement to coach HS sports. The primary reason is that many coaches already coach multiple sports for the same school. How do you run a full off-season program if you coach football, basketball and baseball at a school? You couldn't do it, there wouldn't be enough hours in a day or days in a week.

Kids that want to have more success will find the way to work off season, just like they always have, for CV Soccer look at the BU goalie Stenta, according to your logic he can't exist but he does. The coaches you claim can't have success did so with him and his team when he was in HS. Look at the UE program that has produced arguably the most talent of any local soccer team and they have a HS coach who has never worked off season, and they have had more success than most schools would dream of.

By the same token the JC girls program is in total disarray right now with a coach who has worked travel for years, even helped founding the local JC club. They removed a coach to put him in and that person never coached travel for the JC girls but he knew how to coach the game. No doubt you'll argue he isn't trained enough as a coach etc.. but he put in the time that you asked but the results aren't there.

As for the quote being my opinion it is not, it was part of a study on why so many kids drop out of sports and was covered by CNN. The survey found that most kids who drop out do so because the games lose the fun of playing because parents and coaches focus too much on win at all costs. The kids do want to win, but they realize that there is far more to life than selling their life for a few HS games.

Guest guest
Sorry hate to break it to you but I wrote the the previous posts about HS sports, and I don't fit your idea at all. I'm a former full scholarship D1 athlete who coaches both HS and club sports, it wasn't soccer but I have lived the life so I know what it took. If your kid wants to play win at all costs and wants to play at the next level good. Thats what travel sports are made for. HS sports are run by a school and legally can not require year round participation or action. HS sports are actually considered part of a schools academic requirements in many areas, you can even fulfill your PE credits by playing in many districts.

If a coach wants to start a year round program, thats all well and good for them, but it can not and will not ever be a requirement to coach HS sports. The primary reason is that many coaches already coach multiple sports for the same school. How do you run a full off-season program if you coach football, basketball and baseball at a school? You couldn't do it, there wouldn't be enough hours in a day or days in a week.

Kids that want to have more success will find the way to work off season, just like they always have, for CV Soccer look at the BU goalie Stenta, according to your logic he can't exist but he does. The coaches you claim can't have success did so with him and his team when he was in HS. Look at the UE program that has produced arguably the most talent of any local soccer team and they have a HS coach who has never worked off season, and they have had more success than most schools would dream of.

By the same token the JC girls program is in total disarray right now with a coach who has worked travel for years, even helped founding the local JC club. They removed a coach to put him in and that person never coached travel for the JC girls but he knew how to coach the game. No doubt you'll argue he isn't trained enough as a coach etc.. but he put in the time that you asked but the results aren't there.

As for the quote being my opinion it is not, it was part of a study on why so many kids drop out of sports and was covered by CNN. The survey found that most kids who drop out do so because the games lose the fun of playing because parents and coaches focus too much on win at all costs. The kids do want to win, but they realize that there is far more to life than selling their life for a few HS games.

you just proved my whole point with your examples of stenta and the ue soccer program. they all played fusion or premier level club year round and that is why the individual player succeeded and the ue boys team HAD been strong. they got where they were because of travel not their high school teams. but the high school coaches reap the rewards of what the travel coaches provide 10 months a year. cv has no club players worth talking about and that is why they do not succeed. no you cannot make them participate outside of the season but to be successful that is what is needed. you are living in the 70's and 80's when there was nothing but high school sports and that is probably when you received your D1 scholarship. name one athlete today in section 4 that has gotten a full ride without playing a club sport in addition to their high school team. not one player on that BU soccer team was recruited by only playing high school ball. they were recruited from marco watching premier club level tournaments, odp, and region 1 games.

if you are a coach in a district coaching 3 sports and at least one of them is a varsity sport that is ridiculous. especially if youR program is awful as in this case. if you coach that many you are only doing it for the paycheck not because you want to build any program. case in point zanot giving up football because hope soley devotes his time to football and look where that got both of them this year. great seasons for both programs. i am so sick of high school coaches using your argument (which andrew does) of "I CANT MAKE THEM OR THEY WONT." maybe you cant make them but if you encourage and explain to the parents that is what is necessary to win they will buy in eventually. another example is tiddick and the cv baseball program. they have a great team because of travel baseball, a fine little league system, and a great coach that encourages off season teams. did the parents buy in when he encouraged it? YES.

obviously the JC coach you referred was not getting the job done and change was needed. if you put the time in its 10 months a year not 2 months during your season then go home. every post you have made just encourages losing and its ok. you obviouly like to lose or do not have problem with the cv program being horrible. stop living in the past with your logic which is flawed and come into 2008 with a new perspective on how to help athletes succeed to make their teams successful.

Guest Guest
if you are a coach in a district coaching 3 sports and at least one of them is a varsity sport that is ridiculous. especially if youR program is awful as in this case. if you coach that many you are only doing it for the paycheck not because you want to build any program. case in point zanot giving up football because hope soley devotes his time to football and look where that got both of them this year. great seasons for both programs. i am so sick of high school coaches using your argument (which andrew does) of "I CANT MAKE THEM OR THEY WONT." maybe you cant make them but if you encourage and explain to the parents that is what is necessary to win they will buy in eventually. another example is tiddick and the cv baseball program. they have a great team because of travel baseball, a fine little league system, and a great coach that encourages off season teams. did the parents buy in when he encouraged it? YES.

obviously the JC coach you referred was not getting the job done and change was needed. if you put the time in its 10 months a year not 2 months during your season then go home. every post you have made just encourages losing and its ok. you obviouly like to lose or do not have problem with the cv program being horrible. stop living in the past with your logic which is flawed and come into 2008 with a new perspective on how to help athletes succeed to make their teams successful.

First of all many people working multiple sports aren't doing it for a paycheck, they are doing it because there is a tremendous lack of coaches in the area. Too many coaches have stepped away from the jobs because of people like yourself who have no idea what HS sports is actually about. As for your thought that HS coaches saying "I can't make them" you are wrong, that statement is 100% true. I've seen coaches removed from jobs for trying to force kids to work off-season and then holding it against them come school ball season. Encouraging is one thing, but saying a coach who doesn't set it up can't succeed is wrong.

The JC coach who was removed was a winning coach who produced 2 D1 players and never had a losing team. The man who replaced him still has the job and now the team is in shambles, but he helped build up the JC travel system. Your theory is 100% off there. The guy who didn't work off season as much was far more successful than a founder of the travel club.

You want a full ride D1 player who was a 3 sport school ball only player at BU? Pat Skinner from SV, never played premier soccer cause he played basketball and baseball also, he was there only two years ago and played for Marco, two year starter on defense and was on the 1st America East title team. You want others, I have many names from various sports, here's just one; Hand from WP in lacrosse never played travel ball won a state title in wrestling as well, but chose lacrosse for college.

As for me getting my scholarship in the 80's, the whole you ned to play travel argument was around then as well. I did play travel ball and school ball, I knew if I wanted to get more looks I had to play extra so I did but the coach at my college only saw me in the state playoffs for HS, he never saw me play travel ball.

As for me encouraging losing, sorry but in less than 10 years I have 5 division titles and 4 league champions. I have no year round training program required, but I'll help any kid who wants to get more work in. I may not personally do it, but I'll find them a spot to work out . I've never said travel ball doesn't help, just that as a HS coach you can't make it mandatory or make everyone do it. My teams know I don't like to lose or think we're doing our best when we do, but losing is part of sports.

Guest GUEST
cv has many players that play travel soccer and play more than the season i think they will do just fine this year

name the players and what travel clubs they play for

Guest Guest
cv has many players that play travel soccer and play more than the season i think they will do just fine this year

They all play for lower level travel teams. None of those teams even have cuts. If they don't play for BC Fusion, they probably aren't great players.

Guest Guest
mike andrew is awful and has no committment to this program. collect a pay check and pad the final average salary.

Even worse, he is the STATE coordinator for boys' soccer.

@

Guest GUEST
Even worse, he is the STATE coordinator for boys' soccer.

@

thats makes it even worse. what an example for coaches around the state. if your going to take the title of something like that at least model some effort into your own program. guaranteed response from him will be "I CANT MAKE THEM DO ANYTHING OR THEY PLAY TO MANY OTHER SPORTS OTHER THAN SOCCER."

Archived