Software Question? Works vs. Word

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have a PC with Windows Vista. It has Microsoft Works for word processing.

My question is can I get by using "Works" to do my Resume and Cover Letters or do I need to invest the $139. to get Microsft Word!!

Guest Guest

My question is can I get by using "Works" to do my Resume and Cover Letters or do I need to invest the $139. to get Microsft Word!!

Go to microsoft.com and download the FREE Office 2007 trial version. It works for 60 days. I am not sure what the limitations are (it MAY not let you print, but it just might). In either case, you have 60 days to try it for free and it's worth a shot.

Works will do what you want it to do. Word will probably have templates for a resume and cover letter. You might want to do a 'google' search to look for free templates on the internet. You might try something like "microsoft-works template cover-letter resume".

Hope this helps.

TWS

Guest Guest
Go to microsoft.com and download the FREE Office 2007 trial version. It works for 60 days. I am not sure what the limitations are (it MAY not let you print, but it just might). In either case, you have 60 days to try it for free and it's worth a shot.

I do think it will print... But I am wondering is what they will charge after 60 days for the Office Home & Student which is on sale now at Circuit City for $139. usaually $149. I am afraid that Microsoft will try to charge like $169. after the 60 days??

Guest Guest
Works will do what you want it to do. Word will probably have templates for a resume and cover letter. You might want to do a 'google' search to look for free templates on the internet. You might try something like "microsoft-works template cover-letter resume".

Hope this helps.

TWS

I know "Works" will be fine to do hard copies of Resumes and Cover Letters OR to fax... But if employers want PDF files or a cut and paste into an email I think there will be PROBLEMS because a lot of PC's won't open "Works" documents as "WORD" seems to be the program everyone has.

Guest ARGH !!!

For the love of god and all things holy please stop !!!

Stop purchasing Bill Gates overbloated, over priced crapware !!!

I've been here before and all I can say is save your money !!!!

Consider the obvious... Where else can you put out a product that isn't compatible with itself, is never finished in developement

and costs you more and more everytime an update comes out let alone the obvious contribution to the waste stream because

everytime you upgrade you have to get rid of the old stuff....

Whew !!!

Here's a link... It's free... all powerful...MS compatible and let me tell you ....

If you want to get off of the microsoft band wagon and start saving money look at linux and open source..... It's the future and it's free.....

The best part..... It's often better than Bill Gates crapware....

Enjoy the download and see the true power of computing without spending a penny unless you feel the need to contribute !!!!

Stop the waste !!!

http://www.openoffice.org/

This is an all inclusive suite that is 100% MS compatible !!!

@

Guest Guest

Open source is the wave of the future. Word process with Scribus. The commands are very, very similar to Word.

BU has a open source reference site- the Linux Technology Center.

@

Guest Guest

Consider the obvious... Where else can you put out a product that isn't compatible with itself, is never finished in developement

and costs you more and more everytime an update comes out let alone the obvious contribution to the waste stream because

Whew !!!

Here's a link... It's free... all powerful...MS compatible and let me tell you ....

If you want to get off of the microsoft band wagon and start saving money look at linux and open source..... It's the future and it's free.....

Enjoy the download and see the true power of computing without spending a penny unless you feel the need to contribute !!!!

Stop the waste !!!

@

This poster is absolutely correct! I couldn't have said it better myself. Probably one of the few truly intelligent posters out there- Thanks.

Open source software is the way to go- you can find photo editors, dvd decrypters & copiers, internet browsers, word processing, and much much more for free, from reliable sources.

These links will provide you with tons of free quality open source software, and there is plenty more out there- just use any search engine and add the words OPEN SOURCE to your search. Ex- open source word processor, open source photo editor, etc.

http://mashable.com/2007/09/23/open-source/

http://tinyurl.com/2xju2m

Whew !!!

Stop the waste !!!

@

WOW - you sound like my husband.... Are you my husband?

Guest Guest

Whew !!!

Stop the waste !!!

@

I agree, openoffice is good stuff.

Office 2007 is NOT user friendly as other levels of Office. Ture there are little icons showing you the way, but if you are a power user in any of the programs, Word, Excel or Powerpoint be prepared for a learning curve. Things are not where you think they are.

Guest Guest
WOW - you sound like my husband.... Are you my husband?

Uh, no !! LOL !!!

You see, after I got clobbered on Gates last OS, which cost me plenty, I said I would never do it again.

I have a few machines running various OS's. I have a UBUNTU machine with OO on it. It's beautiful and

really, it performs much better than MS ware.

Get out there and explore.... There is some fantastic programs out there. Some have way too much power

compared what you normally get with MS. The best part.... Lots of it does not need a platform upgrade.

Heck, I remember my days using Geoworks but that is another story and one I've posted before. I just hope that

everybody that needs an office suite checks out OO.

Whew !!!

Stop the waste !!!

@

Is this safe to download to a microsoft vista system? because when I click on it , it says please ask your vendor for an upgrade..

Is this safe to download to a microsoft vista system? because when I click on it , it says please ask your vendor for an upgrade..

I downloaded it on my Vista 2 days ago. I haven't played with it yet, but it did download fine.

My question is can I get by using "Works" to do my Resume and Cover Letters or do I need to invest the $139. to get Microsoft Word!!

I have Microsoft office 2007 word is overkill works should work fine for you.

Guest Guest

FYI

System Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2

Microsoft Windows

* Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista (enhanced Vista integration from version 2.2)

* 128 Mbytes RAM

* At least 800 Mbytes available disk space for a default install (including a JRE) via download. After installation and deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.

* 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours

Solaris: SPARC platform edition

* Solaris 8 OS or higher

* 128 Mbytes RAM

* 250 Mbytes available disk space

* X-Server with 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours

Solaris: x86 platform edition

* Solaris 8 OS or higher

* 128 Mbytes RAM

* 250 Mbytes available disk space

GNU/Linux ("Linux")

* Linux kernel version 2.2.13 or higher, glibc2 version 2.2.0 or higher

* 128 Mbytes RAM

* 200 Mbytes available disk space

Mac OS X (X11)

* Power Mac G3 400Mhz or higher

* Mac OS X 10.4.x

* 256Mbytes RAM

* 400Mbytes available disk space

* X11 required. Available for OS X 10.4 on the OS X install disc. The instructions for Tiger users are here.

* 800 x 600 or higher resolution with 16.7 Million colours

Java

The minimum JDK/JRE version required to use OpenOffice.org features that require java is JDK/JRE version 1.3.1.

To use the XSLT filters with JDK 1.3.1 you should download the files xalan.jar and xml-apis.jar from Xalan website and crimson.jar from the Crimson website. The files also need to be added to the OpenOffice.org classpath. This can be accomplished with Tools->options->OpenOffice.org->Security

For full functionality, jdk/jre 1.4.0_02 or newer or jdk/jre 1.4.1_01 or newer is required

For accessibility

All platforms

* Java runtime environment 1.4.0_02 / 1.4.1_01 or newer

* Java Access Bridge - to get the Java Access Bridge, visit java.sun.com/products/accessbridge

Linux:

* Installation of GNOME 2.2

Solaris:

Installation of GNOME 2.0

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_20.html

Archived