Maurice Hinchey 's BMW

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

The problem with Hinchey is he is supposedly for the little guy. This is something you would expect from a republican and the press would go crazy. I heard him on the radio, he sounds so arrogant and rightous, like how dare we minions question him. How can he possibly say with a straight face that a BMW is cheap?

It wouldn't be the government's fault that U.S. automakers don't offer fuel-efficient U.S. made cars, would it?

We all need to take a hard look at how our choices impact the environment. If the government is looking out for the air quality of the nation that's something to be proud of.

When you watch the Beijing Olympics this summer, keep an eye out to see how polluted the air is over there. (If you like breathing smog, move to New Jersey or LA).

No, it's not the government's fault. I don't want to take your point wrong.... some would call it leadership that the government is mandating car makers to reach past 40 mpg. On the other hand... I sometimes wonder if CAFE standards have made any difference at all. I personally know 2 co-workers who each have recently purchased a new truck, each has a V-8 with an automatic transmission and 4wd. People are going to buy what they want to buy. They look at the mpg estimates and buy it anyway.

40 mpg cars have always been there if people wanted them. If CAFE standards were even higher. I'll bet people would still have been buying the SUV's at the lowest end of the CAFE average right up until just recently.

I don't think vehicle mileage has anything to do with smog. I bet our engines, in the USA, just run cleaner than engines built in Beijing. I'll bet our gasoline is cleaner too. We have long since used oxygenators like MTBE or ethanol additives. We don't have tetra-ethyl lead in our gasoline anymore. We have dozens of different blends for different seasons and different regions. We use expensive catalytic converters to consume unburned hydrocarbons. I'd wager the Chinese don't bother with any of that for their home market.

....BTW, just checked http://www.howstuffworks.com/question407.htm . Brief but interesting information on the subject.

@

Archived