Handyman Help!!

dingbat

I'm trying to put a new doorknob on my side door.

I know that I have to put an awl in the pinhole to remove the knob before I can take the rest apart, but it's not budging.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough pressure? Should I give it a whack with a hammer?

Guest country girl2
I'm trying to put a new doorknob on my side door.

I know that I have to put an awl in the pinhole to remove the knob before I can take the rest apart, but it's not budging.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough pressure? Should I give it a whack with a hammer?

Sorry DB, me and door knobs dont like each other, that is one thing that I refuse to do.

What a pain in the butt! There is a small hole that you need to use to pop out the knob, then a spot where a screwdriver fits in to take off the rest. They all look pretty chewed up. I'm thinking the previous owners tried to change it with no luck. I have to figure it out tho, because it's getting to the point where it's almost impossible to open.

I'm about ready to get out my sledgehammer, that would work, right??? :D

What a pain in the butt! There is a small hole that you need to use to pop out the knob, then a spot where a screwdriver fits in to take off the rest. They all look pretty chewed up. I'm thinking the previous owners tried to change it with no luck. I have to figure it out tho, because it's getting to the point where it's almost impossible to open.

Yes it would :lol:

I hear a good set of torches will do the trick ;)

Well, I broke my awl and now I am going to sacrifice a spiedie skewer :angry:

There is a blue cloud of cuss words hanging over my house, if you see it stop by with your torches "D".

Dont you have to have the key in it for it to come apart?

Look closely at the back-side trim plate and knob.

There may be a small (5/32" long) spring-loaded slot on the shaft portion of the knob that holds the back knob on the shaft and then, with the knob removed, the trim plate may pry/pop off (look for indentation at bottom that will accept small screwdriver blade) to reveal a screwed-in back plate that holds the handle securely (damn those engineers! right?) in place on the door.

(If you're still having questions, maybe try catching somebody at Yel-Help or Bennedums in a good mood on the phone and they might provide you with some non-destructive suggestions).

Archived