JV Sports Cut??

Guest Concerned Parent

Guest Concerned Parent

Rumors are flying around that JV sports teams are the next level to be cut from local school sports programs. The possible result would be that there would be a "super" modified created which would include 7th, 8th and 9th graders.

Thoughts?

I say cut modified sports, and bring up the best 8th graders to JVs. The remaining 8th graders and 7th graders that lose the opportunity to play school ball can find many opportunites in local youth leagues. In addition, schools can upgrade their intramural sports to provide opportunities. A "super" modifed creates less opportunites for athletes? How many 7th graders will be able to compete with 9th graders? How many 10th graders will be able to compete with 12th graders? Plus what happens in sports like baseball and basketball? Kids could sit the bench for 2 years before they get to play in 9th grade and then do it all over again until they are a senior??

I am not saying I am right, just sharing my opinion, and wondering what others may think. The administartions in school districts sometimes close themselves in a room without any input from the programs they will impact. I have yet to discuss this "rumor" with someone who thinks the "super" modifed is a good idea. Everyone agrees that modifed sprots should be cut.

Rumors are flying around that JV sports teams are the next level to be cut from local school sports programs. The possible result would be that there would be a "super" modified created which would include 7th, 8th and 9th graders.

Thoughts?

I say cut modified sports, and bring up the best 8th graders to JVs. The remaining 8th graders and 7th graders that lose the opportunity to play school ball can find many opportunites in local youth leagues. In addition, schools can upgrade their intramural sports to provide opportunities. A "super" modifed creates less opportunites for athletes? How many 7th graders will be able to compete with 9th graders? How many 10th graders will be able to compete with 12th graders? Plus what happens in sports like baseball and basketball? Kids could sit the bench for 2 years before they get to play in 9th grade and then do it all over again until they are a senior??

I am not saying I am right, just sharing my opinion, and wondering what others may think. The administartions in school districts sometimes close themselves in a room without any input from the programs they will impact. I have yet to discuss this "rumor" with someone who thinks the "super" modifed is a good idea. Everyone agrees that modifed sprots should be cut.

NYS requires 7th and 8th graders who play JV or varsity to meet selective classification standards. there can't be a "super modified" team. Individual schools will have to decide whether to keep JVs or drop them. in many local districts, especially in girls sports like basketball and soccer, there are barely enough kids now to fill out the rosters. So-I think whatever decision is made will have to take into account the #s of athletes involved and whether some of the jv teams can even be filled.

Thoughts?

No, everyone does not agree modified should be cut. Why should any sports be cut? To preserve the overstaffed and overpaid administration at each school? Nothing but greed in these administrations to steal from the kids to preserve their needless selfs.

JV sports are a waste of time. Eighth and ninth graders should be on one team and tenth through twelfth graders should be on another. Seventh graders should play town sports. This is pretty simple.

No, everyone does not agree modified should be cut. Why should any sports be cut? To preserve the overstaffed and overpaid administration at each school? Nothing but greed in these administrations to steal from the kids to preserve their needless selfs.

Agreed, but what if they are considering it?? Which would be the better option? Interesting reply in regards to classification. If true, and that sounds right, the rumor may have just died??

NYS requires 7th and 8th graders who play JV or varsity to meet selective classification standards. there can't be a "super modified" team. Individual schools will have to decide whether to keep JVs or drop them. in many local districts, especially in girls sports like basketball and soccer, there are barely enough kids now to fill out the rosters. So-I think whatever decision is made will have to take into account the #s of athletes involved and whether some of the jv teams can even be filled.

There already was "Super Modified" the boys freshman basketball league was run under that format for years, freshman who are 15 and under don't count as upperclass they can be mod level by NYSPHSAA rules so you don't need the selective classification test.

FYI the MAC league has already instituted the change at many sports this season. From my understanding that change made STAC decide to look into it as well. One thing you need to realize is JV officials and coaches tend to get paid more than Mod ones, so but cutting JV you save more money than by cutting mod.

That all being said I think it will overall be a bad idea, especially for boys. There are very few 7th grade guys who can compete with freshman guys maturity wise, many girls have matured more and the issue is not as great. Some sports will feel the hit more especially football, many towns don't have a spot for the older kids that will be getting cut to be able to stay involved until they mature into the next age level. You'll see lots of sophomores losing experience they would have gained at JV in this format.

Modified sports were designed and for 7th 8th and 9th grades. There were freshman teams before so modified rules were only used for 7th and 8th grade teams aroung here. Class D schools were using 7th, 8th and 9 th grades in their modified programs.

http://www.nysphsaa....ndbook_1012.pdf

Another option being discussed is pay to play. Schools might save the sports teams but players/parents would be required to foot the bill. Two major problems with this would be playing time (every kid pays the same so some parents would want equal playing time) and participation would be limited to kids who could afford to pay.

In the grand scheme of things, sports, music, etc. are a very small part of the budget and elimination or reduction of those programs would have little effect on taxes.

Sports is not a small part when you add coaches salaries, officials, maintaining playing venues, custodians, ticket takers, AD salary, AD secretary, bus wear and tear, bus driver salary, bus fuel, extra electricity, equipment, equipment refurbishing, supplies, cost of physicals, extra insurance. Fair bill for parents to pay, too bad.

Every penny saved is a penny they are not taking from me.

Schools are here to prepare students to get a job, period.

Another option being discussed is pay to play. Schools might save the sports teams but players/parents would be required to foot the bill. Two major problems with this would be playing time (every kid pays the same so some parents would want equal playing time) and participation would be limited to kids who could afford to pay.

In the grand scheme of things, sports, music, etc. are a very small part of the budget and elimination or reduction of those programs would have little effect on taxes.

This is against NYS law.

Athletic costs are less than $750,000 in school budgets...including everything....AD salary, coaches salary, officials, etc. thats less than 2% of the entire budget. Teachers and Administrators need to make sacrifices in their salaries and benefits. Also, what is working for class D schools as far as a "super" modified doesn't work for class B and above. Too many kids falling through the cracks IMO.

What do you mean falling through the cracks? If the kid is any good he'll play.

Three quarters of a million dollars is a lot of money.

That's right, teachers should take a cut in pay just like the rest of workers. They should pay all of their medical and pay their own retirement just like all of the rest of the workers.

What do you mean falling through the cracks? If the kid is any good he'll play.

Three quarters of a million dollars is a lot of money.

That's right, teachers should take a cut in pay just like the rest of workers. They should pay all of their medical and pay their own retirement just like all of the rest of the workers.

I've seen sophmores who don't start on their JV team become studs as varsity players, so that's what I mean about falling through the cracks.

Do "all" workers pay for their medical and retirements? Sorry, but they don't. I know people who work at many local industries and company's who do not pay "all" their bennys.

When I decided to become a teacher 20 years ago, people told me that it's a tough job dealing with kids and their problems, and that I won't be poor, but I certainly will not make much money. All true advice. Now, people tell me I make too much money and my benefits should be paid by me? Makes me laugh.

This is against NYS law.

Proof? Schools are already asking athletes to support team fundraisers to the tune of several hundred dollars per player so the process has started. If pay for play is against the law, as you stated, how are these fundraisers legal?

Get rid of the ADs @ over $100K per year. Give each coach an extra $1K per season to handle the AD duties for his/her season.

Proof? Schools are already asking athletes to support team fundraisers to the tune of several hundred dollars per player so the process has started. If pay for play is against the law, as you stated, how are these fundraisers legal?

Get rid of the ADs @ over $100K per year. Give each coach an extra $1K per season to handle the AD duties for his/her season.

Take SV as the example. The Superintendent of schools is one of the highest paid around, takes a 6% pay increase and will be one the votes for the cut. How about giving some of that back. How about the administration take a 1-3 year salary freeze and put some of that back into the sports programs. I would bet there are few if any other states that cut modified and JV sports programs. The reason we are even having this discussion is due to the lack of budget control. SV has an asst. Super. that is rarely ever seen. When was the last time she was at a sporting event? Drop her position that would be money that could be put back into the program. Drop the AD at SV and have his wife pay back the money she stole, that would help the sports program.

What ever happened to her criminal charges?? I would expect that they were dropped to a misdemeanor and she has yet to pay it back. She steals from the booster clubs and her husband the AD stays on staff... what a message you send the kids in the schools. I would bet if a student stole money from the cafeteria they would be expelled and arrested.

JV programs are important as that is were many players mature and learn the speed of the game. If STAC drops this you will never see a team from STAC get past the first round of any sectional playoffs.

Failure in the adults to manage budgets should not be punishable to the students. The adults have failed so start at the top and make cuts.

Guest Billy Hill

Thoughts?

9th graders on modified has precedence- that's the way it was years ago when schools were much larger than they are now.

It would be a good financial move- especially for sports like football that cost so much to maintain.

Basketball- play CYO if you get cut from the Varsity team.

baseball also has summer leagues, etc for kids to play

football- no solution except there are a lot of kids who are on teams to be basically tackle dummies and they never see a down in a game.

I don't like it but it may financially be the way to go.

Sports is not a small part when you add coaches salaries, officials, maintaining playing venues, custodians, ticket takers, AD salary, AD secretary, bus wear and tear, bus driver salary, bus fuel, extra electricity, equipment, equipment refurbishing, supplies, cost of physicals, extra insurance. Fair bill for parents to pay, too bad.

Every penny saved is a penny they are not taking from me.

Schools are here to prepare students to get a job, period.

yes take sports away let the kids run the streets you d...... bag

Guest Billy Hill

I've seen sophmores who don't start on their JV team become studs as varsity players, so that's what I mean about falling through the cracks.

Studs? Really? No starting on JV and one or two years later they're studs? I doubt it. But, it's going to hurt some kids.

As far as paying to play-

How would you determine cost? Football costs a lot more than basketball or cross-country or soccer.

It's unfortunate that costs are so high and that it's mostly retired people who's kids are grown up who complain about paying taxes so they can go to Tioga Downs and feed money to slot machines. They're selfish people.

Guest Big Dog

Statistics prove that Middle school students are at a crucial time period to start to sway the other way. Sport programs keep these student active in a good way. With too much time on their hands without the sport programs, this would allow the negative element to be more present to them.

How about eliminating a few asst principals or have a principal handle 2 schools. One cut of a vice principal would eliminate a salary, benefits and retirement contributions. This one cut would more than offset the cost of any modified sport. We seem to be top heavy in this area.

In some school districts, the people complaining are doctors or supermarket owners or public utility management.

Don't blame it on the people on a fixed income.

That is a very rare exception.

Guest Been There

Statistics prove that Middle school students are at a crucial time period to start to sway the other way. Sport programs keep these student active in a good way. With too much time on their hands without the sport programs, this would allow the negative element to be more present to them.

How about eliminating a few asst principals or have a principal handle 2 schools. One cut of a vice principal would eliminate a salary, benefits and retirement contributions. This one cut would more than offset the cost of any modified sport. We seem to be top heavy in this area.

Until now I would have agreed with you. The problem is Cuomo's plans for teacher evaluations will create the need for MORE assistant principals. They are going to have to observe teachers twice each year and meet pre and post observation AND write up all the paperwork. If there are 60 teachers that have to be observed twice each (120 per year) that's 3 periods (pre and post meeting) for each. Then, they have to so what they did before AND take care of the trouble makers.

With this and his 2% tax cap you will see sports, teachers, programs, and classes cut just to keep up.

Go after the politicians who jump the bandwagon of people who hate kids and hate education, then we will be able to preserve programs. The teacher's unions should come up with ways of getting rid of bad teachers that won't hurt schools.

Until now I would have agreed with you. The problem is Cuomo's plans for teacher evaluations will create the need for MORE assistant principals. They are going to have to observe teachers twice each year and meet pre and post observation AND write up all the paperwork. If there are 60 teachers that have to be observed twice each (120 per year) that's 3 periods (pre and post meeting) for each. Then, they have to so what they did before AND take care of the trouble makers.

With this and his 2% tax cap you will see sports, teachers, programs, and classes cut just to keep up.ood guy.

Go after the politicians who jump the bandwagon of people who hate kids and hate education, then we will be able to preserve programs. The teacher's unions should come up with ways of getting rid of bad teachers that won't hurt schools.

Cuomo is the root of the problem. It was completely predictable yet people still voted him in. He puts a 2% cap then passes costs and stands back like the good guy. just like the Mafia. They rob you weekly then give you protection from themselves yet pass cost to you for protection. He gives you a 2% cap for protection but behind the scenes is forcing you to sacrifice for him. Everyone should force the boards to disclose the increase of costs he has mandated.

Cuomo is the root of the problem. It was completely predictable yet people still voted him in. He puts a 2% cap then passes costs and stands back like the good guy. just like the Mafia. They rob you weekly then give you protection from themselves yet pass cost to you for protection. He gives you a 2% cap for protection but behind the scenes is forcing you to sacrifice for him. Everyone should force the boards to disclose the increase of costs he has mandated.

Disclosure will never happen because most of these boards are made up of liberal democrats. What you should do when voting for a board of education. Never vote for a former teacher or administrator. Both will take care of those who work as they did as a priority. Otherwise teachers will take care of teachers and Admins will take care of Admins.

Archived