UE School Budget

Tazz

Guest guest 29

Would you rather they be bussed to the alley in Endicott run by the alcoholic that has a 'special' interest in children?

Care to expand on this so called "special" interest in children ? Or aren you just an idiot? I go with just an idiot!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Care to expand on this so called "special" interest in children ? Or aren you just an idiot? I go with just an idiot!

I this good use of your time? How much is changing the transporting team members for the bowling team to Ideal instead of Midway going to save out of the less than 40 thousand dollar budget? How much would it save cutting the team sport entirely? I’ll bet the district budget would hardly notice it.

Everything being the same as last year the district is getting a 2% increase in tax and a 4% increase in state aid. That comes to about 1.7 million extra dollars. Out of that amount of money the district can provide 70% of that amount to employees and their benefits.It appears from the amounts listed that they wish to have much more. In short cutting anything besides teachers salaries and benefits is pretty worthless(in reality it isn’t cutting their salary it is giving a raise and paying more for their benefits).All giving into their demands says is you can have a raise and maintain your current status at the cost of everyone else.Since the district has a set amount to work with now they can keep sports and children's transportation to the amount they are given out of the 30% of that 1.7 million dollars.

Except the 4% isn't really 4%. Out of the $ the governor has set for education, he's pulling 1/3 back for "competitive grants" of which most of our school districts are not eligible. So that aid may wind up being 2-3%, depending on the school. Also, it's a 2% tax levy which does not necessarily equal a 2% increase, it might mean more or less of a tax increase for taxpayers. The bottom line is - it's still screwed up with uncertainty and most taxpayers don't understand. And if they see greater than a 2% tax increase, (which maybe the correct 2% tax levy), they'll be up in arms that the school is going over its cap even though it isn't. So look forward to more anger and name-calling this spring.

I this good use of your time? How much is changing the transporting team members for the bowling team to Ideal instead of Midway going to save out of the less than 40 thousand dollar budget? How much would it save cutting the team sport entirely? I’ll bet the district budget would hardly notice it.

Ask how much the "coach" makes. Eliminate that and add the cost of bussing and paying Endicott tax money to a Vestal business and you're off to a good start at saving the school some money. Just one part of a solution...and a good one.

Ask how much the "coach" makes. Eliminate that and add the cost of bussing and paying Endicott tax money to a Vestal business and you're off to a good start at saving the school some money. Just one part of a solution...and a good one.

I’m sure that you are correct,every little bit helps. You’ve chosen the smallest of the smallest to focus on. I’m not even sure how many people would even of noticed it if it was stopped completely. Even if it was it wouldn’t fix very much of the current budget shortfall.

Cut out Pre-school - it is not a state-mandated program.

I also heard that Kindergarten may be cut, too.

You are not solving any problems by cutting Prek and Kindergarten. What will happen is then parents will need day care for thier children. Many will need to rely on Department of Social Servies to pay for their day care cost. This will result in many children be placed in a low quality child care situations. Research on brain development proves that these early years are critical in the development of a child's brain. Without high quality early education a child is at risk for learning disabilities in the future. In addition, without qualified teachers, children with OT, PT, and congitive disabilities will not be identified early when you have the greatest chance for successful early intervention. This will result in Special Education costs for a child for the rests of their school years.

The cost of special education is extremely high. Not worth saving a few bucks by eliminating Prek and Kindergarten. It is easier to build a child correctly than try to repair an adult.

Except the 4% isn't really 4%. Out of the $ the governor has set for education, he's pulling 1/3 back for "competitive grants" of which most of our school districts are not eligible. So that aid may wind up being 2-3%, depending on the school. Also, it's a 2% tax levy which does not necessarily equal a 2% increase, it might mean more or less of a tax increase for taxpayers. The bottom line is - it's still screwed up with uncertainty and most taxpayers don't understand. And if they see greater than a 2% tax increase, (which maybe the correct 2% tax levy), they'll be up in arms that the school is going over its cap even though it isn't. So look forward to more anger and name-calling this spring.

Doesn’t really matter,the point is there is going to be an increase in State aid and the maximum that they can ask for is a 2% increase in taxes according to their rules. What ever that amount comes to after everyone is done figuring out what the aid from the state will be and the amount that they get from tax increase is what they have to work with. There is no rule that says that the salary budget has to go up by an amount that satisfies the employee or the benefits have to remain the same.Now all the programs were run last year with the money that they had. With the increase they should be able to run again this year.Where you see a increase in money needed this year over the last is where you have to look for cuts.

You are not solving any problems by cutting Prek and Kindergarten. What will happen is then parents will need day care for thier children. Many will need to rely on Department of Social Servies to pay for their day care cost. This will result in many children be placed in a low quality child care situations. Research on brain development proves that these early years are critical in the development of a child's brain. Without high quality early education a child is at risk for learning disabilities in the future. In addition, without qualified teachers, children with OT, PT, and congitive disabilities will not be identified early when you have the greatest chance for successful early intervention. This will result in Special Education costs for a child for the rests of their school years.

The cost of special education is extremely high. Not worth saving a few bucks by eliminating Prek and Kindergarten. It is easier to build a child correctly than try to repair an adult.

Spoken from the eyes of a kindergarten teacher who does not want to lose there job. Just let all the taxpayers get soaked.

We need to get the government out of education. Education should be a responsibility of the family and church, as our Founding Fathers intended. Government shouldn't have anything to do with it at all.

So are you saying that a year in pre-K and a year in Kindergarten fixes the need for special education? Or are you saying that 4 hours a day isn’t enough time for a highly educated teacher to notice these defects?

Spoken from the eyes of a kindergarten teacher who does not want to lose there job. Just let all the taxpayers get soaked.

Sorry, not a Kindergarten teacher!! My career puts me in place where I have seen children in childcare situations that are not adequate by the lowest standards of regulations. Funny how you just assume that I am a teacher worried about my job. Instead of looking at what I said you just ran you mouth. Look at the school budget special education costs. Cut Prek and K and see what happens. The amount of Child Protective Service calls will increase as well as special education. So THERE!!

So are you saying that a year in pre-K and a year in Kindergarten fixes the need for special education? Or are you saying that 4 hours a day isn’t enough time for a highly educated teacher to notice these defects?

I am not saying that Kindergarten fixes the need for special education. I am saying without quality early education the chance of special education is much greater. The child care some children are placed in puts them at great risk for learning disabilities that last a lifetime. You cannot imagine where some of these young children will be if not in school. I have seen it for myself.

We need to get the government out of education. Education should be a responsibility of the family and church, as our Founding Fathers intended. Government shouldn't have anything to do with it at all.

As our founding fathers intended?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It must be wonderful to have a job where you still get yearly raises and no cost increases for healthcare coverage while other people, if they still have a job, have not had a raise in years, had to take a 10% pay cut, or endure 2 or 3 week unpaid shutdowns every year. We had a choice, agree to the cuts/shutdowns or walk. Teachers and other government workers should not be exempt from reality – contract or no contract.

I am not saying that Kindergarten fixes the need for special education. I am saying without quality early education the chance of special education is much greater. The child care some children are placed in puts them at great risk for learning disabilities that last a lifetime. You cannot imagine where some of these young children will be if not in school. I have seen it for myself.

This is what you said”Without high quality early education a child is at risk for learning disabilities in the future”Now I have to take that to mean that you think that once a child is of pre-school age that the child should be brought up by the state,the parents might damage them.I think the reason targeted the Pre school to kindergarten is the 78 thousand dollars that they make with out much return out of the investment.

2% is what Cuomo told you. 2% is NOT 2%. The state will release the information as to what each district's 2% number is. Remember, these are politicians.

1 out of 10 posts here are correct. The rest is incorrect.

Educate yourselves on school budget topics. Then you will see the real issues and understand the real problems.

It must be wonderful to have a job where you still get yearly raises and no cost increases for healthcare coverage while other people, if they still have a job, have not had a raise in years, had to take a 10% pay cut, or endure 2 or 3 week unpaid shutdowns every year. We had a choice, agree to the cuts/shutdowns or walk. Teachers and other government workers should not be exempt from reality – contract or no contract.

All government jobs must be immediately and permanently abolished. Period.

2% is what Cuomo told you. 2% is NOT 2%. The state will release the information as to what each district's 2% number is. Remember, these are politicians.

1 out of 10 posts here are correct. The rest is incorrect.

Educate yourselves on school budget topics. Then you will see the real issues and understand the real problems.

Well what ever the school district gets it isn’t going to cover the increases that are wanted every year. Now the tax payer is responsible for a set percentage of costs. The state gives what it considers adequate. Now it turns into a game to get more from the taxpayer by using their children's needs and wants to try and get the parents to submit to higher taxes than needed.

Doesn’t really matter,the point is there is going to be an increase in State aid and the maximum that they can ask for is a 2% increase in taxes according to their rules. What ever that amount comes to after everyone is done figuring out what the aid from the state will be and the amount that they get from tax increase is what they have to work with. There is no rule that says that the salary budget has to go up by an amount that satisfies the employee or the benefits have to remain the same.Now all the programs were run last year with the money that they had. With the increase they should be able to run again this year.Where you see a increase in money needed this year over the last is where you have to look for cuts.

Even you are confused - the maximum they can ask for is a 2% tax levy - that is not the same as a 2% tax increase, it might be more or less, and that number cannot be determined until the final budget is settled, which it isn't. Congress still needs to negotiate changes to the governor's budget. It's not cut and dry like you present it.

All government jobs must be abolished.

Government must get out of our children's education. Immediately.

Education is the responsibility of the family and the church. Not government.

Wake up people!

Even you are confused - the maximum they can ask for is a 2% tax levy - that is not the same as a 2% tax increase, it might be more or less, and that number cannot be determined until the final budget is settled, which it isn't. Congress still needs to negotiate changes to the governor's budget. It's not cut and dry like you present it.

You are wrong. The state determines the amount of the "2%" and will notify the districts of the amount. It will take a majority vote to pass a "2%" or lower increase. A school district can ask for 20% tax levy increase. In that case it will take a 60% approval of the voters.

Which of the Founders do you believe thought this way?

Archived