UE School Budget

Tazz

Well I believe there should be no raises this year in fact if the teachers and administratos are there for the kids let them take a 10 percent cut for the next year which would take care of the budget problem. And do not say they can not do it because they have the say in the union contract

They can't do that because of the union contract! But I'm with you and wish they could. Retirement benefits are rediculous too.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole budget problem is being created by the governor. He puts a 2% limit on budget increases then passes on mandatory costs to either force the schools over the 2% or cut things that hurt our kids. For eample he just passed the costs of State mandated testing to the schools. In Vestal I hear that amounts to an additional $250,000.00 they have to budget for. The 2% is one of the biggest gimmicks going. He increases costs then deflects criticism by letting the locals get the blame if they go over 2%.

They can't do that because of the union contract! But I'm with you and wish they could. Retirement benefits are rediculous too.

If they negotiate a contract they can renegotiate the contract. I am in a union and if we do not work for three months we lose are health insurance and nothing goes in our pension.

What? Vote for the whack-job with the baseball bat? Great choices we had.

You believed the wack job you put in office during the campaign didn't you.

If they negotiate a contract they can renegotiate the contract. I am in a union and if we do not work for three months we lose are health insurance and nothing goes in our pension.

With what is expected by the union that the budget shows they will either have to change the demands or lose enough teachers to make up for the expected raise. Even if they agree to a 0% raise there still is the increase of the benefit package to be worked out. I don’t think the public is going to go along with having 5 year olds walking 2 miles to school.

So, if you have a kindergardener and the bus stops to pick up said kindergardener, will the bus allow your older child(ren) to ride as well or will they still have to walk?

No, the student who is not eligible to ride the bus, can not ride the bus.

Well. I did not see the rent for LW West on any reports. Where did that going to pay Mrs Mc Louds salary

Of course you did not see that exact line item. It is revenue to the district.

Go to the next meeting and ask where it is.

You believed the wack job you put in office during the campaign didn't you.

Not at all. I knew he was more anti-labor than his father, I knew he was prime DINO and that he was only using Albany to get to D.C. - but at least he wasn't certfied looney tunes.

Stop busing the bowling teams to Vestal and using my UE school taxe$ to pay a Vestal business.

Would you rather they be bussed to the alley in Endicott run by the alcoholic that has a 'special' interest in children?

The whole budget problem is being created by the governor. He puts a 2% limit on budget increases then passes on mandatory costs to either force the schools over the 2% or cut things that hurt our kids. For eample he just passed the costs of State mandated testing to the schools. In Vestal I hear that amounts to an additional $250,000.00 they have to budget for. The 2% is one of the biggest gimmicks going. He increases costs then deflects criticism by letting the locals get the blame if they go over 2%.

No the only one that gets the blame if they go over the 2% in the voter,they have to allow it.

Not sure that testing is putting the budget over 2% with what looks like expected raises of over 10%.

Wow, u.e. pays $125,000 in salary and benefits for an athletic director with only a $450,000 budget and they are ready to cut more coaches, teams and players.....do what corning, norwich and elmira did....cut the director post

Guest Mitt Romney

Wow, u.e. pays $125,000 in salary and benefits for an athletic director with only a $450,000 budget and they are ready to cut more coaches, teams and players.....do what corning, norwich and elmira did....cut the director post

An athletic director is a glorified schedule maker. Eliminate the job. eliminate modified sports and let the kids play town and travel sports. Go back to half day kindergarten. make the classes larger eliminating some teacher positions. get rid of a few administrartors. get rid of a couple of bus drives by slightly increasing the walking distances. BUDGET BALANCED

An athletic director is a glorified schedule maker. Eliminate the job. eliminate modified sports and let the kids play town and travel sports. Go back to half day kindergarten. make the classes larger eliminating some teacher positions. get rid of a few administrartors. get rid of a couple of bus drives by slightly increasing the walking distances. BUDGET BALANCED

No...

That makes way too much sense.

Guest common sense taxpayer

Cut the AD position at ALL schools. Give each coach a small ($500 or so) stipend for taking care of the AD duties for their sport. Use the money saved (salary plus benefits) to help fund the sports program at each school. I'm sure each AD has a secretary that could be eliminated too. Savings in school budgets are easy to identify if you look at it from a value add business perspective.

The problem with school budgets is that you have an ex teacher, who has NEVER worked for a company that had to make a profit to stay in business, administering a multi million dollar budget. School districts should be run by someone with business experience

Cut the AD position at ALL schools. Give each coach a small ($500 or so) stipend for taking care of the AD duties for their sport. Use the money saved (salary plus benefits) to help fund the sports program at each school. I'm sure each AD has a secretary that could be eliminated too. Savings in school budgets are easy to identify if you look at it from a value add business perspective.

The problem with school budgets is that you have an ex teacher, who has NEVER worked for a company that had to make a profit to stay in business, administering a multi million dollar budget. School districts should be run by someone with business experience

No...

That makes way too much sense.

The unions are the problem.

The unions/school boards and politicians were always the problems...now it’s just the unions now that the politicians have hung them out to dry. Cute way that they did it too. Putting a 2% cap on that in most years wouldn’t cover their benefits cost increase much less the raise they always demand.

Could you have one AD for Broome county?

probably but that would still be one too many. What exactly does an AD do to justify a $100K plus salary? Most people think ADs make up the schedules but doesn't STAC make out the schedules? It has to be centralized someplace. STAC can send a copy of the schedules to the officials assigners. As far as ordering equipment and uniforms, each coach can do that can't they? You already have a transportation supervisor so they can line up the buses. The maintenance supervisor can make sure one of his guys cleans up the gym after games and the fields are mowed. Have I forgotten anything?

Would you rather they be bussed to the alley in Endicott run by the alcoholic that has a 'special' interest in children?

He's a cranky old fart but not what you're alleging. Typical BCV bullsh*t. I don't want my school taxes - any amount - going to Vestal just because the alleged "coach" and the owner of Ideal had a "spat." Ideal is an Endicott business that pays Endicott taxes and deserves to have the team where they were for years until the coach got a bug in her butt. Plain and simple..it costs more to bus them to Vestal and it costs the parents and extra $40 a month to go pick them up.

A few things;

Oversee student physical and permission forms.

Keeping track of student eligibility.

Filling in open dates, taking care of weather changes in games.

Inventory of equipment and uniforms. You think of thirty or more coaches can each take care of their own stuff.

Supervising during games.

Representing the school at league, section and state meetings.

Evaluating coaches

Hiring coaches

Keeping individual and team records

Arranging for awards.

Mediating conflicts with coaches, players, parents, officials

Working with school booster clubs.

Taking care of visiting teams

Making sure deadlines are met

That's off the top of my head, and I don't particularly like AD's. It's that you are so sure no one in education does any work.

Archived