Parents At Children's Sporting Events

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
You missed the point ...

A D1 / D2 scholarship is not the end all here. If that happens - great, if not - thats fine too. These kids play travel because they love the game - not because their parents are obsessed with their kids getting a scholarship (yes- there are exceptions). Did you ever stop to realize that the kids and their families are having fun and are doing the traveling, etc as a family ? The memories of what they did together as a family - they will laugh about and cherish for years ... Is that so bad ?

Truth is - it's familes and friends that really matter anyway ...

If it's sports (travel teams / HS teams / recreation teams) that help bring and keep a family together - god bless !!!

I could not have put this any more succinctly than you have, thank you very much. My son plays travel ball (I already posted about it), and I can assure you, D1 and/or D2 ball is the furthest from our minds, we are in this for the fun, competition, and memories! So far we are having a blast!

Grades are #1, (my kids are all high honors students), as they are for at least MOST of our team's families (I do know there are exceptions once in a while, but I cannot think of one in particular on our team).

Sports teach a lot of life lessons, lessons that you can carry on to your career, family and friendships in the future. One of the lessons in sports is that things are not always fair. I think that is the one thing many parents cannot deal with. Otherwise they wouldn't be calling the school when little Johnny didn't make the team.

Guest Guest

Having 3 kids who have played on travel teams for 6+ years, I can say that the teams are not what keeps our family together. In fact, I don't know many families that travel together to events; usually it's one parent going away with 1 kid. People need to be honest, while enjoying the time with the teams and parents, the pressure is intense on these teams. Parents and kids play on these teams for prestige and hope for the scholarship.

You make an excellent point. I agree that having multiple kids on multiple travel teams can create family separation issues on occasion. Safe to say it's not "the team" that keeps the family together as much as it is the family being together in support of the sibling that is playing on the team. No question about the pressure - but it's great experience for life's much larger "pressures" that each of us one day face.

Wish there was a perfect solution for the multiple kids on multiple teams dilemna. I will say this - Grandma & Grandpa always loved to join in and help out / support the kids and family if and when schedule conflicts did arise. I think they enjoyed it as much - if not more - than we did.

Guest Guest

Well I do love sports, but Academics always come first. If tomorrow my child decides that baseball is not what he wants to do, he will always have his distingushed honors and college prepatory classes from high school. He is a well rounded student. He doesn't need sports to get him into a D1 school. He has the grades first and foremost. I have worked hard to be an involved parent in my children's academics first. I also support him play travel sports. I have worked hard and will pay for his college too.

More like spoken from a true DELETED !

Guest Guest

I thought this thread was about parents behaving badly at sporting events, not who plays travel sports or who can afford it or who works hard. Again it seems the parents want to make it about them.

@

Guest Guest

My son can get an academic D1 scholarship! He doesn't need baseball to get it for him. You see academics comes first. My son doesn't need luck, he has natural talent, involved parents and most of all perserverance. And who are you to judge my child? Are you an expert or something? Why don't you parent your child and I will parent mine.

When your son does not get the D1 scholarship or get selected by a D1 school, or even D2 or D3, please do not come back on to this forum and tell us it was his coach's fault. I know plenty of travel teams, baseball, soccer, etc., on which kids are invited to play who are very good but are not and never will be college athletic material. An outstanding freshman can be peak the next year, but continues playing based on his or her name, and the sports clique they are in. Good luck to you and your son--you both will need it.

@

Guest Guest
I thought this thread was about parents behaving badly at sporting events, not who plays travel sports or who can afford it or who works hard. Again it seems the parents want to make it about them.

@

thank you

i'm senior in h.s., but i have to agree with a lot of people on here, the way some of the parents act anymore is absolutely ridiculous. i remember when i was playing little league, some of the parents would get so bad that on a few instances the umpire would quit in the middle of the game. the opposing coaches would fight with each other and even parents from the same team would begin arguing. after seeing all of this when i was how old? 10? all of the parents should just get over themselves and grow up.

Guest Guest-Guesto1-*
thank you

i'm senior in h.s., but i have to agree with a lot of people on here, the way some of the parents act anymore is absolutely ridiculous. i remember when i was playing little league, some of the parents would get so bad that on a few instances the umpire would quit in the middle of the game. the opposing coaches would fight with each other and even parents from the same team would begin arguing. after seeing all of this when i was how old? 10? all of the parents should just get over themselves and grow up.

See the problem is that most of these sport parents want it more than their kids do.

They are like living through their kids.

Now people you don't have to reply back and tell me your kids love it and you are just supporting them.

The way I have seen some parents act is not just supporting their kids.

I feel sorry some of these kids. They are so embarassed about how their parents act.

@

Guest Guest

this is rediculous......these kids are playing competitive sports, and their parents teach them to be competitive. If they didn't they would want nothing to do with sports. Sports is all about an attitude....if you want it then you'll get it. Parents fire their teams and players up and show them that people do care about how they do. The people who sit their and don't care are the ones I think are in trouble.

Guest Guest
this is rediculous......these kids are playing competitive sports, and their parents teach them to be competitive. If they didn't they would want nothing to do with sports. Sports is all about an attitude....if you want it then you'll get it. Parents fire their teams and players up and show them that people do care about how they do. The people who sit their and don't care are the ones I think are in trouble.

You dont need to" fire " the team up by making an a** out of yourself or show "Parents" care by acting like a jerk. You just embarrass your kid. It is not about you"The Parents".

Guest guest

What a stupid thing to say "Parents fire their teams..." How about let the coach and kids do it? There are lots of ways to support a team, but being a cut throat parent in the stands isn't one of them.

Signed,

A parent who has been a team parent, booster club supporter, and whose kids have played team sports at every level.

Guest Guest

OK - We get it ...

Big mouth - over bearing - obnoxious parents : BAD

Supporting - Academics first - polite parents : GOOD

I was hoping to see some more intelligent exchange on the multiple kids on multiple travel team topic, but I guess the majority of BCV posters don't feel satisfied until they get back to bashing some kid or some parent or some school or some coach or (insert victim name) ...

Have a nice day.

Archived