Parents At Children's Sporting Events

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Some of the behavior is appalling. Maybe some of these parents should play instead so that the rest of us can sit around and be critical of them....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Guest Guest
Some of the behavior is appalling. Maybe some of these parents should play instead so that the rest of us can sit around and be critical of them....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Last week The state police were called to the Windsor Park for an out of control parent because his sons team was not winning. Took 2 SP to get this stupid fool to shut up.

Guest Guest

It isn't just the parents who are out of control. Last year the first base coach stormed off the field in response to a parent questioning his call. The coach said to the parent in the stand "come out here if you can do a better job" The parent declined and the coach said "then shut up". I was amazed that a coach who is a role model for the kids would charge off the field and engage a parent in this way. Thank God the parent backed down because there could have been a brawl right there in front of all of those kids. I'm sure it is hard to be a coach with the way that parents can be these days, but they have to show some restraint so things don't get even more out of hand.

Guest Guest
It isn't just the parents who are out of control. Last year the first base coach stormed off the field in response to a parent questioning his call. The coach said to the parent in the stand "come out here if you can do a better job" The parent declined and the coach said "then shut up". I was amazed that a coach who is a role model for the kids would charge off the field and engage a parent in this way. Thank God the parent backed down because there could have been a brawl right there in front of all of those kids. I'm sure it is hard to be a coach with the way that parents can be these days, but they have to show some restraint so things don't get even more out of hand.

Maybe the parent should have kept his mouth shut in the first place?

@

My wife asked me about getting my kid into t ball this year. I responded with "hell no"

My family was very involved with athletics at a young age so when I told my brother this he had to ask why.

Y'all have listed many reasons.

People are crazy.

Guest Guest
My wife asked me about getting my kid into t ball this year. I responded with "hell no"

My family was very involved with athletics at a young age so when I told my brother this he had to ask why.

Y'all have listed many reasons.

People are crazy.

Not getting your kid into sports is one of the worst things you can do as a parent. Even if he's not good, he'll learn value from exercise, hard-work, and a team committment.

Good luck with your rearing of this child.

The child has already been reared.

Hopefully the "rearing" will not commence until proper age and maturity.

Kids don't get to be kids anymore. If the kid wants to do sports then I will let him/her. I sure won't force them.

After watching the way this current generation of "budding athletes" has been raised in athletics, I am in no hurry to

expose my kids to the public.

Guest Guesto1

Most of these are parents that are living through their children.

Why can't they just let kids be kids....

When I go to my kids sporting events I'm just happy they are playing and keeping fit and active.

I could care less who wins and who loses because at the end of the day WHO CARES?

Will you care in 10 years? Will they care in 10 years? No!!!!

Just let them play the sports. I see parents today running themselves into the ground both

physically and financially; especially with girls softball.

Girls can't even play on the softball teams if they haven't played travel softball.

They even had a place for it on the signup sheet that a coach passed out this year.

I could not believe it had a line for Travel Team Name.... what a shame.

Some parents can't and don't want to cart their kids to practice every night of the week and be

away every weekend. I don't know how these people afford all these weekends out of town.

Then if it rains and the games are cancelled they just sit in the hotel waiting to see if they will play the next game.

You are talking $400 dollar weekends between food, lodging and gas (probably even more).

My kids did just fine playing regular sports and local ball in the summer and they don't have to worry about if they did

bad or not because it stays at the field.

@

Guest Guest
Maybe the parent should have kept his mouth shut in the first place?

@

Yes you are right, but I think that the coaches reaction was just as bad as the parents comments. It could have gotten ugly fast.

Guest guest
Most of these are parents that are living through their children.

Why can't they just let kids be kids....

When I go to my kids sporting events I'm just happy they are playing and keeping fit and active.

I could care less who wins and who loses because at the end of the day WHO CARES?

Will you care in 10 years? Will they care in 10 years? No!!!!

Just let them play the sports. I see parents today running themselves into the ground both

physically and financially; especially with girls softball.

Girls can't even play on the softball teams if they haven't played travel softball.

They even had a place for it on the signup sheet that a coach passed out this year.

I could not believe it had a line for Travel Team Name.... what a shame.

Some parents can't and don't want to cart their kids to practice every night of the week and be

away every weekend. I don't know how these people afford all these weekends out of town.

Then if it rains and the games are cancelled they just sit in the hotel waiting to see if they will play the next game.

You are talking $400 dollar weekends between food, lodging and gas (probably even more).

My kids did just fine playing regular sports and local ball in the summer and they don't have to worry about if they did

bad or not because it stays at the field.

@

Why do you care what these families do with their weekends or how they spend their money.

Will you care in 10 years?

Will they care in 10 years?

Guest Guest

My child plays on a travel team. I assure you, this is not something I have to talk him into, he looks at it as a way he can extend his favorite sports season a little further, and have a lot of fun weekends away with his buddies, playing games, yes, but also swimming in the hotels and eating at cookouts w/ the other families we travel with and have become great friends with. If you ask him, he'd say the regular season is boring by comparison (and he LOVES the regular season, so that says a ton).

I do realize that not all families can afford travel play, but there are other options, such as teener leagues and recreation play. If playing travel exposes my kid to better competition, and he gets better as a result, and knocks your kid off the team by taking his spot because he's a better player, well... all I can say is ... oh well. Life is not always fair, my friend.

Guest Guest
My child plays on a travel team. I assure you, this is not something I have to talk him into, he looks at it as a way he can extend his favorite sports season a little further, and have a lot of fun weekends away with his buddies, playing games, yes, but also swimming in the hotels and eating at cookouts w/ the other families we travel with and have become great friends with. If you ask him, he'd say the regular season is boring by comparison (and he LOVES the regular season, so that says a ton).

I do realize that not all families can afford travel play, but there are other options, such as teener leagues and recreation play. If playing travel exposes my kid to better competition, and he gets better as a result, and knocks your kid off the team by taking his spot because he's a better player, well... all I can say is ... oh well. Life is not always fair, my friend.

Well good for you. Your no friend, you sound very snotty. And also sound like one of the parents this was started about. Have a nice day.

Guest skeptic
Well good for you. Your no friend, you sound very snotty. And also sound like one of the parents this was started about. Have a nice day.

Thank god all children grow up to get scholarships to the best schools and become professional athletes.

Guest Guest

If you do not like it move to LA. High school sports are much less competative, and parents are much nicer out there.

Guest Guest

Oh cry me a river! Guess what? Life is not fair. I have worked hard to allow my children to play travel sports. They are high honor students first! Too bad, if your kid wants something they have to earn it! If they are the best they will get the position. My child has a goal to be an all American and play D1 baseball. He works hard to get the best grades first because he knows that without the grades he can forget about it. He then works out all year and yes he plays travel baseball because he was invited to play on the team! The quality of play is way beyond anything the highschool can give him. It also allows college coaches to see him. Work hard, play hard and stop complaining.

Thank god all children grow up to get scholarships to the best schools and become professional athletes.

Guest Guesto1
Oh cry me a river! Guess what? Life is not fair. I have worked hard to allow my children to play travel sports. They are high honor students first! Too bad, if your kid wants something they have to earn it! If they are the best they will get the position. My child has a goal to be an all American and play D1 baseball. He works hard to get the best grades first because he knows that without the grades he can forget about it. He then works out all year and yes he plays travel baseball because he was invited to play on the team! The quality of play is way beyond anything the highschool can give him. It also allows college coaches to see him. Work hard, play hard and stop complaining.

Spoken from a true sports parent.... lol

Guest Guest-red-*

It's really too bad that parents have to come on here and stick up for their kids. With that said, some kids do come on here but I am really not seeing it on this post, I hope these kids do not see this. You more than likely will embarrases your child.

@

Guest Communism check

- Well said !!! This country was built on the principles of competition and hard work. As a parent - I will do everything in my power to see to it that my kids have the very best for them and every advantage possible. If it is becoming the best athlete they can be (at what ever sport they chose) then I will support them in that effort. Tough shit if you have a problem with that. I've worked very hard to put myself in a position where I can do these things for my kids. Oh - let me guess - this some how makes me a bad parent in your book.

Maybe the governmment should subsidize all families so all kids can play on travel teams and every kid has an equal opportunity - and all kids get to take turns at pitching in Little League - and every kid makes the team in High School - and we all grow up and make the same money regardless of effort / intelligence - blah blah blah - you people make me sick.

Christ - It's bad enough that my (and other hard-working successful parents) tax money goes to aid for your kids to go to college, while my kids don't get a penny because I make too much.

Don't get me started ...

Guest guest

- Well said !!! This country was built on the principles of competition and hard work. As a parent - I will do everything in my power to see to it that my kids have the very best for them and every advantage possible. If it is becoming the best athlete they can be (at what ever sport they chose) then I will support them in that effort. Tough shit if you have a problem with that. I've worked very hard to put myself in a position where I can do these things for my kids. Oh - let me guess - this some how makes me a bad parent in your book.

Maybe the governmment should subsidize all families so all kids can play on travel teams and every kid has an equal opportunity - and all kids get to take turns at pitching in Little League - and every kid makes the team in High School - and we all grow up and make the same money regardless of effort / intelligence - blah blah blah - you people make me sick.

Christ - It's bad enough that my (and other hard-working successful parents) tax money goes to aid for your kids to go to college, while my kids don't get a penny because I make too much.

Don't get me started ...

When your son does not get the D1 scholarship or get selected by a D1 school, or even D2 or D3, please do not come back on to this forum and tell us it was his coach's fault. I know plenty of travel teams, baseball, soccer, etc., on which kids are invited to play who are very good but are not and never will be college athletic material. An outstanding freshman can be peak the next year, but continues playing based on his or her name, and the sports clique they are in. Good luck to you and your son--you both will need it.

Guest Guest

You missed the point ...

A D1 / D2 scholarship is not the end all here. If that happens - great, if not - thats fine too. These kids play travel because they love the game - not because their parents are obsessed with their kids getting a scholarship (yes- there are exceptions). Did you ever stop to realize that the kids and their families are having fun and are doing the traveling, etc as a family ? The memories of what they did together as a family - they will laugh about and cherish for years ... Is that so bad ?

Truth is - it's familes and friends that really matter anyway ...

If it's sports (travel teams / HS teams / recreation teams) that help bring and keep a family together - god bless !!!

Guest Guest

Once again, there are people who assume that getting the scholarship means everything. The truth is - - yes scholarships can be important, but if they don't get the scholarship they will go to college anyway. It's simply a matter of who pays. The end result is not to create the professional athlete, but to help create the professional.

@

Guest Guest
You missed the point ...

A D1 / D2 scholarship is not the end all here. If that happens - great, if not - thats fine too. These kids play travel because they love the game - not because their parents are obsessed with their kids getting a scholarship (yes- there are exceptions). Did you ever stop to realize that the kids and their families are having fun and are doing the traveling, etc as a family ? The memories of what they did together as a family - they will laugh about and cherish for years ... Is that so bad ?

Truth is - it's familes and friends that really matter anyway ...

If it's sports (travel teams / HS teams / recreation teams) that help bring and keep a family together - god bless !!!

Having 3 kids who have played on travel teams for 6+ years, I can say that the teams are not what keeps our family together. In fact, I don't know many families that travel together to events; usually it's one parent going away with 1 kid. People need to be honest, while enjoying the time with the teams and parents, the pressure is intense on these teams. Parents and kids play on these teams for prestige and hope for the scholarship.

Archived