What matters in HS Sports??

Guest Guest

Just winning.

Coaches should only coach to win and worry about nothing else.

Only take the best players in the program every year and don't worry about the "other" kids.

Being successful has nothing to do with addressing that school's population or needs.

Win and shut up.

The greatest coaches were the winningest so yes coach to win. The best players should be taken not the kids who are mediocre and have parents who suck up. A successful program brings pride and spirit to the school and benefits everyone.

So what is your point?

the greatest coaches are the winningest coaches because they are able to take some of these "other" kids and turn them into the best players in the program.

John Wooden took some of the worst players and made them the best. Can you name one?

the greatest coaches are the winningest coaches because they are able to take some of these "other" kids and turn them into the best players in the program.

The best coaches are the ones with the most kids playing the sport in the offseason! PERIOD

Guest Coach but Not a Teacher

I hope the last poster was kidding. Our hs coaches wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near an AAU program in the spring-summer yet due to the efforts of a few parents, we have dozens of kids from our school playing from 5th grade thru varsity level. This applies to both boys and girls.

The best AAU coaches are those that are NOT parents. The "parent" coaches tend to favor their child. Happens in all sports. Best thing when the players advance to teams that are not coached by parents. The worst is when the parent-child-coach combination is an only child. They think their child is "the best thing since sliced bread".

Some communities have rules that parents cannot be coaches of their child's team.

YES and NO - seen it go both ways. The better ones tend to be harder on their own kid, or even let the assistant deal primarilly with the kid. Their have been many Parent/Child - Coach/Player tandems in the area that have been extremely successful ... A hidden benefit that I have seen is that the group of kids in or around the same class(s) as the child benefit from playing with and getting the same teaching / training and tournament experience as the coach's kid (from the youth levels on up). I think that bears mentioning as you don't often see the parents of the "other kids" acknowledge that factor (Often it's Parents like the one who posted above).

Transaltion of previous post : How could the coach's kid be the best thing since sliced bread when mine is ?

Non Teacher Coaches are usually not a good idea.

They are too busy teaching their own kids and trying to touch the kids or be friends with them.

Just the facts wannabe's.

YES and NO - seen it go both ways. The better ones tend to be harder on their own kid, or even let the assistant deal primarilly with the kid. Their have been many Parent/Child - Coach/Player tandems in the area that have been extremely successful ... A hidden benefit that I have seen is that the group of kids in or around the same class(s) as the child benefit from playing with and getting the same teaching / training and tournament experience as the coach's kid (from the youth levels on up). I think that bears mentioning as you don't often see the parents of the "other kids" acknowledge that factor (Often it's Parents like the one who posted above).

Transaltion of previous post : How could the coach's kid be the best thing since sliced bread when mine is ?

Couldn't agree more. I know of a father/son coaching/playing tandem that worked very well. Father was always harder on his son, and the other players thrived as a team while playing together. Players and parents all had a great experience.

The best AAU coaches are those that are NOT parents. The "parent" coaches tend to favor their child. Happens in all sports. Best thing when the players advance to teams that are not coached by parents. The worst is when the parent-child-coach combination is an only child. They think their child is "the best thing since sliced bread".

Some communities have rules that parents cannot be coaches of their child's team.

That is not true. The Rocket teams are coached by parents and have done very well.

Guest Fun N Games

As always, many factors come into play; especially the dynamics of the parent/child personalities. I was always harder on my own kids and it was great for the other players, but one of my own didnt respond. Solution: let a "Coach" coach. It was hard to hand over a successful team and some parents actually gave me a hard time because they thought the newbie was going to change too much but for once, I did what was best for my family rtaher than the whole team and in retrospect, its been fine and my kid actually succeeds without hearing its cause of Dad.

Well put. And that is the true test. How well the kid is able to perform when he is no longer being coached by Dad. That said - there are some absoluety horrible coaches out there that have no business being in charge of a HS Team - but isn't that a life lesson ? You see it every day in the business world. The difference is - the business world seems to expose weed out the morons much quicker as they are not "protected" like - for example - teachers with tenure, etc ...

Guest DADDY everywhere

how true. Children's sports should be just that.......children's sports. The OVER-INVOVLEMENT of the parents is the root of the problem. The children should deceide who plays what position. Who is QB? Who's the shortstop? etc.

Now HS sports are full of big mouth parents screaming at the refs. What ever happened to "just let the kids play"????? Parents at EVERY practice. ENOUGH!!!!

I can't imagine what it's like when the HS coach is a kid on the team's parent. What a horror show.

NO PARENT should coach his son's HS team. Period.

All you want is for the field to be FAIR for ALL the kids.

how true. Children's sports should be just that.......children's sports. The OVER-INVOVLEMENT of the parents is the root of the problem. The children should deceide who plays what position. Who is QB? Who's the shortstop? etc.

Now HS sports are full of big mouth parents screaming at the refs. What ever happened to "just let the kids play"????? Parents at EVERY practice. ENOUGH!!!!

I can't imagine what it's like when the HS coach is a kid on the team's parent. What a horror show.

How about you get back to English class and learn how to use proper Grammar before you post.

What the hell does this mean ?

"I can't imagine what it's like when the HS coach is a kid on the team's parent. What a horror show."

Your use of the English language is the real horror story.

John Wooden took some of the worst players and made them the best. Can you name one?

john wooden had a great high school team he coached and all the players were awesome??? have a clue when you post.

it is entirely possible for a parent to coach his son. the coach just needs to know how to be a coach and the player just needs to be the player. agreed, people like that are hard to find, but it is possible and i've seen it work personally. it's about character. teachers struggle in that area.

I wish that were true at M-E. We have a parent/teacher that coaches, I mean controls 3 different teams.

john wooden had a great high school team he coached and all the players were awesome??? have a clue when you post.

I was making a point that the great coaches only took who they thought were the best players. Learn to read and comprehend.

it is entirely possible for a parent to coach his son. the coach just needs to know how to be a coach and the player just needs to be the player. agreed, people like that are hard to find, but it is possible and i've seen it work personally. it's about character. teachers struggle in that area.

I can think of one example where a group of kids have been together and coached by a parent for many years, over the years the dad has one by one lost the other players and cant even field a team now. All the while the child has turned into a spoiled brat because it always worked to get their way. Now that daddy cant get anybody to play for him little Suzies cant deal with another coach. IT ONLY HURTS THE KIDS WHEN ITS MORE ABOUT DADDYS EGO THAN THE TEAM!!

Sure - you will get that scenario from time to time as well. Sounds more like a Soccer thing - am I correct ? These clowns are (or should be) very easy to spot early on and are usually relieved of their coaching duties - either by the league, or the school, or by the kids dropping off to form another team.

Sure - you will get that scenario from time to time as well. Sounds more like a Soccer thing - am I correct ? These clowns are (or should be) very easy to spot early on and are usually relieved of their coaching duties - either by the league, or the school, or by the kids dropping off to form another team.

You are correct. its quite comical listening to these guys walk around patting themselves on the back while everyone else is laughing under their breath

I was making a point that the great coaches only took who they thought were the best players. Learn to read and comprehend.

you forgot to mention that comparing major college athletics, which is a business, with a high school setting, is an ignorant analogy, idiot.

Guest get over it

Well put. And that is the true test. How well the kid is able to perform when he is no longer being coached by Dad. That said - there are some absoluety horrible coaches out there that have no business being in charge of a HS Team - but isn't that a life lesson ? You see it every day in the business world. The difference is - the business world seems to expose weed out the morons much quicker as they are not "protected" like - for example - teachers with tenure, etc ...

Well- tenure has nothing to do with coaching. SOME schools have a union "rule" that says that if a teacher wants the position held by a non-teacher he can have it. I am a teacher/coach at a school that does not have that rule and I think the rule is stupid.

Yes there are many non-qualified coaches coaching BUT please understand that no matter what the general public thinks, very seldom will a teacher be hired BECAUSE he can coach. there is a good chance that no one at the school can coach that particular sport and no one in the community gets out of work on time to get to school early enough to coach.

First- there has to actually be an opening. Second- the other teachers on the interview committee have to agree to hire him/her as a teacher. If they don't his/her life will be rough.

If you are a teacher who pushes out a non-teacher you BETTER do an excellent job in the win category as well as a leader/mentor who develops young men and women as decent human beings. If not, the AD who had to fire a good coach will make your life miserable.

On to travel leagues- for the most part they hurt the sport. It's not like Section IV is a consistent state soccer powerhouse because of the people running travel leagues who steal parents' money for that oh so elusive scholarship that rarely if ever materializes. Now, basketball is suffering a similar fate and lacrosse isn't far behind.

Kids should have fun with sports, play a variety of sports to become a better athlete and enjoy the experience of being on a school team. For MOST athletes high school is the only time they'll ever have that chance.

Well- tenure has nothing to do with coaching. SOME schools have a union "rule" that says that if a teacher wants the position held by a non-teacher he can have it. I am a teacher/coach at a school that does not have that rule and I think the rule is stupid.

Yes there are many non-qualified coaches coaching BUT please understand that no matter what the general public thinks, very seldom will a teacher be hired BECAUSE he can coach. there is a good chance that no one at the school can coach that particular sport and no one in the community gets out of work on time to get to school early enough to coach.

First- there has to actually be an opening. Second- the other teachers on the interview committee have to agree to hire him/her as a teacher. If they don't his/her life will be rough.

If you are a teacher who pushes out a non-teacher you BETTER do an excellent job in the win category as well as a leader/mentor who develops young men and women as decent human beings. If not, the AD who had to fire a good coach will make your life miserable.

On to travel leagues- for the most part they hurt the sport. It's not like Section IV is a consistent state soccer powerhouse because of the people running travel leagues who steal parents' money for that oh so elusive scholarship that rarely if ever materializes. Now, basketball is suffering a similar fate and lacrosse isn't far behind.

Kids should have fun with sports, play a variety of sports to become a better athlete and enjoy the experience of being on a school team. For MOST athletes high school is the only time they'll ever have that chance.

I agree for the most part except travel teams hurting the sport? The top players on every school team are the travel players, how can this be hurting the sport. I can only speak for myself but no ones stealing my money and Im certainly not chasing a schlarship for my daughter. For 100 dollers a month my daughter plays in the dome 3 or 4 times a week with some very good coaching. Shes healthy, happy, in very good physical condition and has become a very confident young person. How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Archived