Where does the 2012 ME Football Team Rank All-Time?

Guest Guest

First off, congrats to the Maine Endwell High School Football Team for an incredible 2012. I'm just curious where people think they rank all-time? Certainly not in the same category as the great 1979 UE or 1985 BHS football teams. Those are the 2 best ever, but the 2012 ME Football team etched their legacy in Section IV as one of the all-time greats.

First off, congrats to the Maine Endwell High School Football Team for an incredible 2012. I'm just curious where people think they rank all-time? Certainly not in the same category as the great 1979 UE or 1985 BHS football teams. Those are the 2 best ever, but the 2012 ME Football team etched their legacy in Section IV as one of the all-time greats.

Probably the best small ball football team from Section 4 ever. The 1997 Vestal team is a good comparision I guess.

Overall, not in the discussion unless it's a long list and I'm not going there.

Guest uncle rico

Probably the best small ball football team from Section 4 ever. The 1997 Vestal team is a good comparision I guess.

This team was very good but dropping a class took tons of respect away from the program. Has nothing to do with the kids but the admin at the school.

Very well said. Definitely the best small ball football team from Section 4 ever. Overall, definitely Top 20, maybe even Top 15 ever.

JC teams from from early 80's (Dick Dina era) would have slapped ME 2012 team around pretty good.

Same category as 1997 NYS Class A Football Champions - Vestal.

That Vestal team was not nearly as good as M-E 2012, nor even Forks 2004. They got beat by someone IN-section, I believe it was the SV team who wound up with 2 losses. Plus, they won their three state playoff games by a COMBINED 16 points, one of the smallest such numbers EVER in state playoff history.

Very well said. Definitely the best small ball football team from Section 4 ever. Overall, definitely Top 20, maybe even Top 15 ever.

If you're going to consider them "small ball," I think some of the past Forks and Walton teams may disagree.

If you're going to consider them "small ball," I think some of the past Forks and Walton teams may disagree.

You could make an all-star squad out of all those Forks and Walton teams and they don't hold a candle to '12 ME. Apples and Oranges. The 2012 ME team is #4 all-time. #1 is '85 BHS, #2 is '79 UE and #3 is '74 Vestal

You could make an all-star squad out of all those Forks and Walton teams and they don't hold a candle to '12 ME. Apples and Oranges. The 2012 ME team is #4 all-time. #1 is '85 BHS, #2 is '79 UE and #3 is '74 Vestal

I think that an all-star team of Forks and Walton teams would match up well with '12 ME. Get real. '12 ME's strength was having their OL and DL much larger than their opponents. Forks and Walton may have not had any big name skill players, but thet certainly had enough big talented linemen over the years to stock an All-Star team.

I think that Vestal team was 1975.

You could make an all-star squad out of all those Forks and Walton teams and they don't hold a candle to '12 ME. .

Considering Forks is 8-1 vs M-E since 1998, including wins the year after M-E won their first title and in 2000 they beat M-E AND EFA (who played in the A title game for Section 4), I think the best of the Forks teams (2004) could give a great battle to M-E 2012 and maybe even win. That 2004 team was no slouch and landed 5 players on D1 squads and three others on D1 in other sports. Playing in the same class, they beat teams almost by the same margin M-E did in the fall and won the state title game by the largest shutout in state finals history. Don't forget CF played in the B final SIX times last decade. Stands to reason their best team is in the discussion here.

I think that an all-star team of Forks and Walton teams would match up well with '12 ME. Get real. '12 ME's strength was having their OL and DL much larger than their opponents. Forks and Walton may have not had any big name skill players, but thet certainly had enough big talented linemen over the years to stock an All-Star team.

I think that Vestal team was 1975.

#1 Vestal 1973 - Ranked 6th nationally for large schools.

#1 Vestal 1973 - Ranked 6th nationally for large schools.

It looks like 1973 was pretty good also. But, it was the 1975 team that beat national power Brockton, Mass 37-8 and it was that win that propelled them to the highest national ranking by any Section 4 school ever. I can't remember the #, but 5-6 sounds about right. Not large schools, ALL schools.

I know Vestal '73 finished #1 in NYS Large Schools, but I am not aware of any national ranking?

It looks like 1973 was pretty good also. But, it was the 1975 team that beat national power Brockton, Mass 37-8 and it was that win that propelled them to the highest national ranking by any Section 4 school ever. I can't remember the #, but 5-6 sounds about right. Not large schools, ALL schools.

I know Vestal '73 finished #1 in NYS Large Schools, but I am not aware of any national ranking?

I remember the name Bill Selsemyer (spelling is probably wrong).

1973 - Vestal not ranked. Brockton, MA #10

http://www.hsfdataba...om/nsns1973.htm

1975 - Vestal ranked #6

http://www.hsfdataba...om/nsns1975.htm

Any opbjective person would make U.E. 79 number one and it isn't even close. Bighamton 85 had ZERO players play D1 football. U.E. 79 had a bunch of D1 players from that squad and several who started at Syracuse. Tatko from that team came very close to making the Cowboys. Most of the players ended up playing college football. That U.E. team was bigger then Binghamton, had a better QB and yes U.E. WAS FASTER. . The U.E. kicker kicked it into the endzone more often then not.

U.E. had only one guy going both ways they were so deep. That U.E. team was a Senior laden team. The Binghamton team was Junior dominated and they fell apart the next season.

Binghamton 85 would not even beat U.E 89. I have seen all these teams play. No Vestal team is in this category. M.E 2012 is the fourth best team ever, just a slight notch below Binghamton 85 and U.E. 89. None of the Forks or Walton teams are in the same league as M.E. 2012.

Any opbjective person would make U.E. 79 number one and it isn't even close.

Actually, M-E 2012 would wipe the turf with U-E 1979 and it would not even be close.

Fact of the matter is, today's players a bigger, faster and stronger than 30+ years ago. M-E 2012 beats U-E's 1979 team in all three of those categories.

It's like comparing this year's Super Bowl winner to say, the 1967 Green Bay Packers. The Pack would be destroyed because today's athletes are just far and away superior to that era. Same goes at the HS level. Same goes with most sports at all levels. Records now blow away records then. Whether it be swimming, track & field, Olympics, whatever.

Compare the rosters of M-E 2012 with U-E 1979, compare the sizes, knowing they ARE faster now and ARE stronger, the game is over by mid-3rd quarter.

Any opbjective person would make U.E. 79 number one and it isn't even close. Bighamton 85 had ZERO players play D1 football. U.E. 79 had a bunch of D1 players from that squad and several who started at Syracuse. Tatko from that team came very close to making the Cowboys. Most of the players ended up playing college football. That U.E. team was bigger then Binghamton, had a better QB and yes U.E. WAS FASTER. . The U.E. kicker kicked it into the endzone more often then not.

U.E. had only one guy going both ways they were so deep. That U.E. team was a Senior laden team. The Binghamton team was Junior dominated and they fell apart the next season.

Binghamton 85 would not even beat U.E 89. I have seen all these teams play.

I saw them all play too. I rank Binghamton 1985 over U-E 1979 and U-E 1989 is VASTLY overrated

Binghamton 85 would not even beat U.E 89. I have seen all these teams play. No Vestal team is in this category. M.E 2012 is the fourth best team ever, just a slight notch below Binghamton 85 and U.E. 89. None of the Forks or Walton teams are in the same league as M.E. 2012.

You're insane! Plus your facts are messed up. That 1985 BHS Team was Senior laden. King Rice was a Junior, but didn't play football his senior year because of an injury and didn't want to risk his basketball career. Rick Coleman played D1 at UMASS and transferred to Buffalo and played basketball with teammate Robbie Middlebrooks. King Rice played D1 at UNC, but could have played anywhere he wanted either football or basketball. Guys like Wendell Mack and Tony Marshall were just not right in the head, but didn't have to take a backseat to anybody in any sport. 1979 UE doesn't beat 1985 BHS and I'll take that to my grave. Angeline had connections, thus the D1 scholarships. None of those '79 UE guys did anything worthwhile in college.

Those 2 teams are the best this area has ever seen. Nobody else belongs in the discussion except the 1973 Vestal team.

For the young guys out there who think yesterdays guys couldn't play today. That's just insane. Give those 70's and 80's guys todays exercise science and they're bigger, stronger and faster. Actually, I think they were as big and strong and fast as the guys today. Both schools had larger numbers back in the 70's and 80's than they do today. This area is now just short of a ghost town.

And don't forget 1985/1986 BHS was ranked #1 (final ranking) in both football and Basketball. 1979 UE didn't do that and no other team in history of this area has. When they made the trip to Glens Falls, no team even challenged them.

I think it's great ME had such a great season and congrats to the players and fans.

But this area has never had a collection of athletes like those 1985/1986 BHS players.

Guest Binghamton Grad

You're insane! Plus your facts are messed up. That 1985 BHS Team was Senior laden. King Rice was a Junior, but didn't play football his senior year because of an injury and didn't want to risk his basketball career. Rick Coleman played D1 at UMASS and transferred to Buffalo and played basketball with teammate Robbie Middlebrooks. King Rice played D1 at UNC, but could have played anywhere he wanted either football or basketball. Guys like Wendell Mack and Tony Marshall were just not right in the head, but didn't have to take a backseat to anybody in any sport. 1979 UE doesn't beat 1985 BHS and I'll take that to my grave. Angeline had connections, thus the D1 scholarships. None of those '79 UE guys did anything worthwhile in college.

Those 2 teams are the best this area has ever seen. Nobody else belongs in the discussion except the 1973 Vestal team.

For the young guys out there who think yesterdays guys couldn't play today. That's just insane. Give those 70's and 80's guys todays exercise science and they're bigger, stronger and faster. Actually, I think they were as big and strong and fast as the guys today. Both schools had larger numbers back in the 70's and 80's than they do today. This area is now just short of a ghost town.

Coleman was a basketball player, he never played football at little Mass. Koban and Villanti started at Syracuse. Koban was among the national leaders in punt returns as well as playing safety. Tatko played at wake Forrest, Syracuse and almost made the Dallas Cowboys. Beddoe went to Rutgers. Bucci went to Colgate. Norris was a Junior that year and broke his leg his senior year or he might have played D1. Another guy went to Temple. Another went to Northeastern. Marsh I think went to someplace like Colgate, I don't remember. All in all something like 19 guys from that team played college football. The tight end had a D1 baseball scholarship. U.E. was much bigger, faster, smarter, had a better QB by far and a better kicker. Binghamton had more guys going both ways and that would have worked against them.. All Binghatmon had was some guys who COULD have played D1 football. U.E. had 8 guys who actually did. The U.E. basketball team was no slouch either that year. They had three guys who got scholarships to Big East schools. They lost a heartbreaker in the States to Mt. Vernon that had the McCray brothers on the team, NBA players. Binghamton did not play anybody of that caliber that year. The next year that team came back with most of its players and got spanked by Kenny Anderson.

Archived