Jim Johnson beats Red Sox

Guest Jim Palmer

Guest Guest

Former U-E student John LaFerro got a promotion at Walmart in Norwich today. He's now manager of the music dept.

Let's post how all U-E grads are doing in their jobs every single day.

Guest Guest
Former U-E student John LaFerro got a promotion at Walmart in Norwich today. He's now manager of the music dept.

AMEN

It's his first win in the big leagues. I think it's a great accomplishment and more than worthy of being noted here.

Congratulations to Jim Johnson. Anytime a local kid makes good it's more than worthy of being noted here. He's living a dream schmucks like me can only dream about. I hope he has a long and successful career in MLB. I don't follow his games with the Orioles as much as I'd like so please keep the updates coming. They are very much appreciated.

Guest Guest

He really is having a dream season and is curve is filthy! It has a 12-6 hook to it. Last night he did relinquish the hold but the offense bailed him out in the bottom of the inning so he got the W. That's taking nothing away from him because he has been LIGHTS OUT this entire year. I know he won't but with his number he really should get All Star votes, but I doubt playing in obscurity he weil.

Guest Al Campanis
He really is having a dream season and is curve is filthy! It has a 12-6 hook to it. Last night he did relinquish the hold but the offense bailed him out in the bottom of the inning so he got the W. That's taking nothing away from him because he has been LIGHTS OUT this entire year. I know he won't but with his number he really should get All Star votes, but I doubt playing in obscurity he weil.

Playing in obscurity actually could help his All Star chances because each team gets at least one player on the squad. Johnson has a better shot with the O's then say Boston. I would guess the orioles closer with 18 saves gets the All Star nod with Johnson being the second choice if the closer goes on the dl.

Guest Set Up Man
Playing in obscurity actually could help his All Star chances because each team gets at least one player on the squad. Johnson has a better shot with the O's then say Boston. I would guess the orioles closer with 18 saves gets the All Star nod with Johnson being the second choice if the closer goes on the dl.

Johnson did a good job throwing a scoreless 8th inning to hold the Orioles 5-3 lead. Johnson is now being used almost exclusively in the 8th inning.

Guest Guest
Where was Johnson going to college ?

Johnson was a good student as well as baseball player. Georgia tech offered him a scholarship and he was going to study engineering. $400,000 signing bonus made him decide to go directly to the pros. The decision looks smart .

Guest Guest

I'd be curious to hear from anybody who batted against him in High School. What was it like trying to hit against him? Great story. I'm happy that he's doing so well and he's a local guy.

Guest pro scout
What was johnson throwing @ UE that impressed ??? I know hes 6 5 230 but still he must have been throwing hard right????

Johnson in his Senior season was pitching before 30 and 40 scouts every start. He was throwing about 92 mph in high school with a very good 12-6 curveball. He lead U.E. to the State title in his Senior season with a 16 strikeout no hit performance along the way.

Guest Guest

Johnson in his Senior season was pitching before 30 and 40 scouts every start.

OK, let's not overdo it. This is NY State we are talking about. No one outside of a high school SUPERstar comes even close to that kind of attention.

Guest Trembley

Kudos to Johnson today. Today he had to retire batting champ Mauer with a runner on second to protect the 3-2 lead. Johnson got Mauer to tap out, Johnson got the hold and the Orioles got the win

Archived