24 not to be aired this year

Guest Guest

Do you like the show 24? Clearly you do, why did you just damn the people who write the scripts that you enjoy so much?

I can like the product they deliver but at the same time do not have to like their greedy character.

Guest A Reasonable Atheist
I can like the product they deliver but at the same time do not have to like their greedy character.

Writers are paid via residuals for their work. The studios attempted to shaft the writers and refuse to pay residuals based on the medium of delivery to the consumer. The writers were right to strike, whether or not you had nothing to watch.

Try a good book.

Greedy? You kidding me? Considering they got practically NOTHING from internet and DVD sales, I don't think that asking for a slice of the pie is out of line.

Yes, at times these entertainment strikes are greedy when the actors etc who get millions are crying for more, but the writers aren't exactly living high off the hog (with a few exceptions for the longtime legends etc), but in this case you are barking up the wrong tree.

Wolf

Greedy? You kidding me? Considering they got practically NOTHING from internet and DVD sales, I don't think that asking for a slice of the pie is out of line.

Yes, at times these entertainment strikes are greedy when the actors etc who get millions are crying for more, but the writers aren't exactly living high off the hog (with a few exceptions for the longtime legends etc), but in this case you are barking up the wrong tree.

Wolf

I don't claim to know what they make but I am quite sure they are living quite well. Where I work, I get paid for services performed. So do the writers. Thats the hire/pay they agreed to. I install and fab AC systems. Should I get a royalty when my company sell ours customer new filters or a service contract to maintain the system? Not a great analogy I know but you get the point. I was paid for my services as per my agreement with my employer and again so were the writers. They got greedy and wanted royalty's. Maybe I should get greedy too and demand 5% of all service contracts and air filters they sell...after all, I made (wrote) the stuff!!

I don't claim to know what they make but I am quite sure they are living quite well. Where I work, I get paid for services performed. So do the writers. Thats the hire/pay they agreed to. I install and fab AC systems. Should I get a royalty when my company sell ours customer new filters or a service contract to maintain the system? Not a great analogy I know but you get the point. I was paid for my services as per my agreement with my employer and again so were the writers. They got greedy and wanted royalty's. Maybe I should get greedy too and demand 5% of all service contracts and air filters they sell...after all, I made (wrote) the stuff!!

Not to call you a moron, but you are. Most writers make pittance. They are able to pay for their healthcare and housing based on the residuals from reruns and other sales of merchandise. You don't understand how the system of royalties works for writing. Does an author just get an upfront fee from a publisher, and nothing more regardless of how many books are sold? No! They get royalties. Here is the difference between your air filters. You didn't make the air filter that they are selling, the writers still WROTE the tv show that the studio continues to make bucks off of.

Here is a good explanation of the issue of residuals:

Guest BC Voice of Reason

After the last couple of seasons 24 could use a hiatus while they come up with an original idea instead of the same rehashed plot over and over. Up until last year I had watched every show of every season, but I don't think I made it one third of the way through it last year. The premise was a cool idea when it started, but after several seasons the novelty wore off, and it's just bordering on ridiculous now.

Not to call you a moron, but you are. Most writers make pittance. They are able to pay for their healthcare and housing based on the residuals from reruns and other sales of merchandise. You don't understand how the system of royalties works for writing. Does an author just get an upfront fee from a publisher, and nothing more regardless of how many books are sold? No! They get royalties. Here is the difference between your air filters. You didn't make the air filter that they are selling, the writers still WROTE the tv show that the studio continues to make bucks off of.

Here is a good explanation of the issue of residuals:

here is a link of one website telling of fees some writers get. for a pilot, 15k for a half hout script and double that for an hour script. i wish i made that "pittance". i know the ac thing was a bad analogy.

http://www.writersstore.com/article.php?articles_id=36

here is a link of one website telling of fees some writers get. for a pilot, 15k for a half hout script and double that for an hour script. i wish i made that "pittance". i know the ac thing was a bad analogy.

Fine, you don't make that for writing. But the actors make many more thousands per episode. Since the writers are the ones who make them the stars, is it too much for them to ask for the royalties they deserve?

Wolf

First, there are thousands of writers, but not thousands of pilots every year. When you consider that writing a successful pilot could involve months of work, 15k doesn't necessarily seem like a hell of alot of money.

Archived