Lance Armstrong

The Wanker

I'm not looking to start a colossal controversy here over what he did by doping, lying about it and then coming clean when he had no choice.

I read his autobio, and it's an inspiring story regardless of what he did in his 7 Tour wins. I admired him deeply after I read it, and was profoundly disappointed when he admitted to cheating. He was a world class athlete who probably could have won at least a few without cheating, in my opinion.

I find it refreshing that someone, particularly a world famous athlete, takes full and total responsibility for his/her actions nowadays. Every time someone in any high profile profession gets caught cheating, they deflect accountability until the day they die.

It's a trait that seemingly has no value in today's world.

However, today Lance did just the opposite.

"the Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa in July. ...

Of his decision to participate, Armstrong told the newspaper that he's realistic about his critics. "I'm well aware my presence is not an easy topic, and so I encourage people if they want to give a high-five, great," he said. "If you want to shoot me the bird, that's OK too … I’m a big boy, and so I made the bed, I get to sleep in it.

It's just me wanting to go ride my bike with what in the past has been a friendly group of people that share the same interests."

I can't remember the last time I heard someone say anything to that effect. "I take the blame, all of it. Period. End of story. Next."

Neither can I remember the last time someone I work with stood up and just said something similar when mistakes were made.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-announces-first-race-since-doping-confession-170000057-us-weekly.html

• 1 month later...

I'm not looking to start a colossal controversy here over what he did by doping, lying about it and then coming clean when he had no choice.

I read his autobio, and it's an inspiring story regardless of what he did in his 7 Tour wins. I admired him deeply after I read it, and was profoundly disappointed when he admitted to cheating. He was a world class athlete who probably could have won at least a few without cheating, in my opinion.

I find it refreshing that someone, particularly a world famous athlete, takes full and total responsibility for his/her actions nowadays. Every time someone in any high profile profession gets caught cheating, they deflect accountability until the day they die.

It's a trait that seemingly has no value in today's world.

However, today Lance did just the opposite.

"the Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa in July. ...

Of his decision to participate, Armstrong told the newspaper that he's realistic about his critics. "I'm well aware my presence is not an easy topic, and so I encourage people if they want to give a high-five, great," he said. "If you want to shoot me the bird, that's OK too … I’m a big boy, and so I made the bed, I get to sleep in it.

It's just me wanting to go ride my bike with what in the past has been a friendly group of people that share the same interests."

I can't remember the last time I heard someone say anything to that effect. "I take the blame, all of it. Period. End of story. Next."

Neither can I remember the last time someone I work with stood up and just said something similar when mistakes were made.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-announces-first-race-since-doping-confession-170000057-us-weekly.html

Steroids made him tens of millions of dollars. Would you do it for that much money? Just about anyone would, Mother Theresa excluded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Steroids made him tens of millions of dollars. Would you do it for that much money? Just about anyone would, Mother Theresa excluded.

I don't think it was steroids. Bikers are more likely to "blood dope" with EPO and other substances that increase the capacity of their red blood cells to hold more oxygen.

Can't say I would do that, but then, I'm not a pro athlete.

One of the Racing organizations sued him for all the winnings he was given and he settled. He had to give a lot of it back.

Archived