Do vets visit homes ?

Guest Guest

Do any vets provide in home service ? Are they affordable ? Are they capable ?

Yes, there is a young local vet that makes affordable housecalls for people unable to get their pets to him. There was a nice write up about him in the paper about a month ago, but I don't remember his name. Maybe someone on here knows it.

Yes, there is a young local vet that makes affordable housecalls for people unable to get their pets to him. There was a nice write up about him in the paper about a month ago, but I don't remember his name. Maybe someone on here knows it.

dr. shokoff

Guest dogowner

If your dogs don't "like" to go to the vet, that's an issue you need to deal with. If they have some sort of medical issue that makes it really difficult, that another matter, but your dog's preferences shouldn't influence you like this. They are dogs. You are the human. Humanizing dogs isn't mentally healthy for them.

If your dogs don't "like" to go to the vet, that's an issue you need to deal with. If they have some sort of medical issue that makes it really difficult, that another matter, but your dog's preferences shouldn't influence you like this. They are dogs. You are the human. Humanizing dogs isn't mentally healthy for them.

That part puzzled me a little too. The vet's practice is based primarily on people being "unable" to get their animals to the office, be it health, age, transportation, etc.... But, I suppose there's a window there based on the animal's temperament as well!

why is it any of your business? apparently there is a need for this service, otherwide the vet would not have left the practice on the old vestal raod. people want the convenience of a house call, jsut like in the old days of doctors making house calls. mind your own business and let commerce seek it's own level. supply and demand.

How is having a DR., for whatever the convenience is centered around, coming to your house to examine your pet "humanizing"??? Hello. Putting doll clothes on your pet is "humanizing." Home visit practice is a service of long ago (think FARM) and I for one believe it adds tremendous value. Not only for the family, but also the animal. I have yet to meet an animal that LOVES a trip to the vet's office. And there you wait with other pets barking, crying, etc. Why subject yourself or your animal to the anxiety? I also feel it builds a great repoire with the Dr. You aren't just another number in the waiting room...I look forward to using this Dr.'s service. I'll let you know. BTW, it isn't even that much more in cost!

Guest Humane Society Volunteer
The new vet that makes house calls is Dr. John T Shokoff, he is a very nice man and a very good vet, his number is 607-624-4759.

The new vet that makes house calls is Dr. John T Shokoff, he is a very nice man and a very good vet, his number is 607-624-4759.

Thank you. I thought I recalled a woman vet that makes house calls. There was an article in the paper several months ago.

Thank you. I thought I recalled a woman vet that makes house calls. There was an article in the paper several months ago.

Bellinger makes house calls for a $45 extra fee. I had comeout and give shots when my car broke down and he was happy to do it and i was happy to pay the exta money.

Guest dogowner
why is it any of your business? apparently there is a need for this service, otherwide the vet would not have left the practice on the old vestal raod. people want the convenience of a house call, jsut like in the old days of doctors making house calls. mind your own business and let commerce seek it's own level. supply and demand.

Why is it any of my business? This is a forum, you soclicited advice. Based on your request, I brought up a point about the mental health of dogs. I like to see healthy dogs, as do you (so I assume). A dog that is able to deal with it's anxieties is a mentally healthy dog. I was simply encouraging you to keep your dog mentally healthy.

At no point did I say that there was no need for this kind of service. My point dealt soley with a dog's mental health.

Guest dogowner
How is having a DR., for whatever the convenience is centered around, coming to your house to examine your pet "humanizing"??? Hello. Putting doll clothes on your pet is "humanizing." Home visit practice is a service of long ago (think FARM) and I for one believe it adds tremendous value. Not only for the family, but also the animal. I have yet to meet an animal that LOVES a trip to the vet's office. And there you wait with other pets barking, crying, etc. Why subject yourself or your animal to the anxiety? I also feel it builds a great repoire with the Dr. You aren't just another number in the waiting room...I look forward to using this Dr.'s service. I'll let you know. BTW, it isn't even that much more in cost!

Having a Dr. come over to the house because the DOG would PREFER not to go to the vet IS HUMANIZING. You are letting the dog tell you how to take care of it. That being said, there are a TON of reasons why a home visit would be advantageous, but a dog's preference is not one of them.

My dog does not like going to the vet, but he goes and he behaves himself because I tell him to. He is exposed to his anxieties, deals with them, and is a better dog for it. He doesn't "like" most people upon meeting them, but he behaves himself because I tell him to. This has taken time, but the result is a dog that is better socialized, more confident, and able to deal with things that the world throws at him.

I believe that treating dogs like the tough, intelligent, brave, loyal, and OBEDIENT creatures that they are is the best way to show my love to the dog.

The OP didn't solicite advice they asked a question hoping to get an honest answer. The OP did not solicite criticism. If you don't know the answer or are able to help the OP find the answer then don't reply. regardless of how the animal gets medical treatment atleast it's getting it unlike so many others

Having a Dr. come over to the house because the DOG would PREFER not to go to the vet IS HUMANIZING. You are letting the dog tell you how to take care of it. That being said, there are a TON of reasons why a home visit would be advantageous, but a dog's preference is not one of them.

My dog does not like going to the vet, but he goes and he behaves himself because I tell him to. He is exposed to his anxieties, deals with them, and is a better dog for it. He doesn't "like" most people upon meeting them, but he behaves himself because I tell him to. This has taken time, but the result is a dog that is better socialized, more confident, and able to deal with things that the world throws at him.

I believe that treating dogs like the tough, intelligent, brave, loyal, and OBEDIENT creatures that they are is the best way to show my love to the dog.

It's none of you business what an animal owner does as long as the animal is cared for. House calls are great for those animals that would prefer that.

Guest dogowner

This is a DISCUSSION forum. Sometimes requests for information turn into discussions.

"The OP didn't ask for criticism?" I said that "If" they were looking for a home visit for reasons that go against the accepted views of the healthy mental stimulation that socialization provides, then, in my opinion, they should work on that.

If the OP said that they needed the name of a good vet because the dog isn't acting right after eating chicken bones, is anybody here going to NOT say something about the danger of dogs eating chicken bones?!

I said what I said because:

1. This is a DISCUSSION forum.

2. I care about dogs.

3. I felt I had information that could benefit the relationship between an owner and a dog.

If this makes me a bad guy, then let me curl the sides of my moustache and laugh villianously.

And so how would WE know that THE DOG "preferred not to go?? Wait for him to tell us in English? Give me a break. Mentally stimulating is walking in a park amongst other dogs, people in a natural setting or running the rail trail or going about the neighborhood for a walk, not taking the pet to a place where he is 1. uncomfortable and anxious 2. anticipating pain or discomfort of some sort and 3. ill or unhealthy as is the reason for the visit in the first place. I am so glad that you TELL your dog what to do and it OBEYS. You seem stuck on that and not the fact that some people are elderly, handicapped or their animal presents a great anxiety with the visit. I once had a very obedient GSD and he was perfect everywhere UNTIL we got within a quarter mile of the vets office and then all hell broke loose. NO matter what the reason for the visit. I think you should look up the word "humanizing" before you use it and really understand how it can apply. It doesn't in this case.

Guest dogowner
And so how would WE know that THE DOG "preferred not to go?? Wait for him to tell us in English? Give me a break. Mentally stimulating is walking in a park amongst other dogs, people in a natural setting or running the rail trail or going about the neighborhood for a walk, not taking the pet to a place where he is 1. uncomfortable and anxious 2. anticipating pain or discomfort of some sort and 3. ill or unhealthy as is the reason for the visit in the first place. I am so glad that you TELL your dog what to do and it OBEYS. You seem stuck on that and not the fact that some people are elderly, handicapped or their animal presents a great anxiety with the visit. I once had a very obedient GSD and he was perfect everywhere UNTIL we got within a quarter mile of the vets office and then all hell broke loose. NO matter what the reason for the visit. I think you should look up the word "humanizing" before you use it and really understand how it can apply. It doesn't in this case.

Well, we don't really know what the case is exactly here do we? I've made no assumptions, nor asked, because as it has been pointed out, it's none of my business. But, we've both seen dog owners that offer their dogs only affection and end up being run by the dog. If, and only if that happens to be the case, and I'm not saying that it is, that is an unhealthy mental state for the dog.

What I understand the least in this thread is the amount of hostility thrown at me for essentially suggesting that it is important to kep a dog mentally healthy.

I have, in more than one post, agreed that there are many reasons to have a vet do a home visit. Could a dog's extreme anxiety about going to the vet be one of these reasons? Sure. Should the dog owner try to work with the dog so that the dog can go into a situation like a vet's office and be more confident? I think yes, assuming the owner is physically able to do so.

I get the sense that many are reading into my posts that I am some overbearing, tough-guy dog owner. I'm not. I'm simply a guy who believes that dog phychology is really important to a dog's health it's relationship to it's owner. I have a dog that is far from perfect, and I am still working with him so he can deal with situations he finds uncomfortable. I feel that it is as important as feeding the dog a decent food.

If you disagree with me, fine. I'd like to have a discussion. I would not like to have a hostile argument. Mabe it was putting certain terms in caps that made my posts overbearing. I don't know.

Well, we don't really know what the case is exactly here do we? I've made no assumptions, nor asked, because as it has been pointed out, it's none of my business. But, we've both seen dog owners that offer their dogs only affection and end up being run by the dog. If, and only if that happens to be the case, and I'm not saying that it is, that is an unhealthy mental state for the dog.

What I understand the least in this thread is the amount of hostility thrown at me for essentially suggesting that it is important to kep a dog mentally healthy.

I have, in more than one post, agreed that there are many reasons to have a vet do a home visit. Could a dog's extreme anxiety about going to the vet be one of these reasons? Sure. Should the dog owner try to work with the dog so that the dog can go into a situation like a vet's office and be more confident? I think yes, assuming the owner is physically able to do so.

I get the sense that many are reading into my posts that I am some overbearing, tough-guy dog owner. I'm not. I'm simply a guy who believes that dog phychology is really important to a dog's health it's relationship to it's owner. I have a dog that is far from perfect, and I am still working with him so he can deal with situations he finds uncomfortable. I feel that it is as important as feeding the dog a decent food.

If you disagree with me, fine. I'd like to have a discussion. I would not like to have a hostile argument. Mabe it was putting certain terms in caps that made my posts overbearing. I don't know.

I've read and understood all of your posts. I would like to add however, that dog's do have issues that you have to address and deal with. They're all unique and they're not "cookie cutter" beings. I have to daily remind one of my pugs that he is not the leader of the pack...that I have already filled that position. He'd take on my german shepherd if I let him. As far as the vet visits due to anxiety...jury's out for me. Another one of my dogs hates the groomers. When I let her out of the van, she looks at the place, her ears pin back and she takes off up the street. She hates the place, but I still take her. No, I thought the home visit vet was primarily for elderly, disabled, etc... people, unable to make the trek.

I think you made your point perfectly. As the owner of 3 very large dogs I whole heartedly agree with you.

Perhaps you were received with hostile replies due to the fact that you "assumed" people were utilizing a home visit vet for reasons other than elderly, ill, handicapped or extreme instances. No where in the posts did anyone ever state they wanted the information because "they're dog didn't like to go to the vet." You came across, without the use of caps, as arrogant and overbearing. And you assumed it was about a DOG. Ever stop to think that some people have exotics that don't travel well? Maybe you should have looked at the request for info. in a broader aspect. Not everyone is a dog owner. They aren't the only pets in the world.

Guest dogowner
Perhaps you were received with hostile replies due to the fact that you "assumed" people were utilizing a home visit vet for reasons other than elderly, ill, handicapped or extreme instances. No where in the posts did anyone ever state they wanted the information because "they're dog didn't like to go to the vet." You came across, without the use of caps, as arrogant and overbearing. And you assumed it was about a DOG. Ever stop to think that some people have exotics that don't travel well? Maybe you should have looked at the request for info. in a broader aspect. Not everyone is a dog owner. They aren't the only pets in the world.

OK, I just re-read all of my posts and I will agree that I am guilty of assuming it was a dog, however, the OP did say in the title of the thread that their "pet" (which I assumed was a dog) didn't "like" to go to the vet. They didn't say they were elderly, ill, or handicapped, they said their pet didn't "like" to go to the vet.

Archived