You Demos outsmarted yourselves this time

GALVATRON

A recent study by the Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen shows that the official estimates have ignored the contribution of nitrogen fertilisers. They generate a greenhouse gas - nitrous oxide - that is 296 times as powerful as CO2. These emissions alone ensure that ethanol from maize causes between 0.9 and 1.5 times as much warming as petrol, while rapeseed oil (the source of more than 80% of the world's biodiesel) generates 1-1.7 times the impact of diesel. This is before you account for the changes in land use.

A paper published in the journal Science three months ago suggests that protecting uncultivated land saves, over 30 years, between two and nine times the carbon emissions you might avoid by ploughing it and planting biofuels. Last year the research group LMC International estimated that if the British and European target of a 5% contribution from biofuels were to be adopted by the rest of the world, the global acreage of cultivated land would expand by 15%. That means the end of most tropical forests. It might also cause runaway climate change.

That's what happens when activists and politicians focus on only one thing, carbon dioxide, the the big meanie of global warming. Yet methane and nitrous oxide are said by climatologists to be far more powerful in inducing global warming than CO2. Why focus on CO2? Michael Crichton pointed out in his book, State of Fear, that if the atmosphere was a football field, the amount of CO2 would be one inch of the field. Nonetheless, gobal warming alarmists say that a minute increase of that one inch places the entire earth in jeopardy.

Yet, according to the Guardian, the most damaging fact about biofuels is not they that will make global warming worse, but that

... using food to produce biofuels "might further strain already tight supplies of arable land and water all over the world, thereby pushing food prices up even further". This week, the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation will announce the lowest global food reserves in 25 years, threatening what it calls "a very serious crisis". Even when the price of food was low, 850 million people went hungry because they could not afford to buy it. With every increment in the price of flour or grain, several million more are pushed below the breadline.

The cost of rice has risen by 20% over the past year, maize by 50%, wheat by 100%. Biofuels aren't entirely to blame - by taking land out of food production they exacerbate the effects of bad harvests and rising demand - but almost all the major agencies are now warning against expansion. And almost all the major governments are ignoring them.

Get the irony? Global petroleum reserves are at an all-time high, while global food reserves are at one of their lowest levels in the modern era, yet we're reducing the amount of food we grow in order to use less oil. Already in the US, 15 percent (1.6 billion bushels) of corn production is devoted not to the table, but to the tank. The effect on the prices of other foods has been felt hard, especially animal foods, such as chickens, for which corn is a major foodstuff. Feed corn for livestock has risen sharply in price.

The Guardian concludes, perhaps somewhat hyperbolically, "If the governments promoting biofuels do not reverse their policies ... [m]illions will be displaced, hundreds of millions more could go hungry." Couldn't happen, you say? Well, consider that the banning of DDT in 1972 has resulted in the deaths of more people than died around the world in World War II (see this piece in 21st Century Science and and Technology magazine). Never underestimate the power of governments to destroy, and be especially wary when they claim the best of intentions in order to do so.

United Nations food official, Jean Ziegler, called biofuel production "a crime against humanity." A senior science advisor to the British Government, Roland Clift, called biofuels a political "scam." Biofuel production skyrockets food prices, damages the environment, and speeds global warming.

Food price increases caused by biofuel production will hurt the homeless, the disabled, and the elderly on fixed incomes most of all. Do we really want to make food so expensive that many will not be able to feed themselves and their children?

You Demos should be ashamed,you're going to starve all the poor and old people and the world because you are miserable and hate your life and want to drag everybody down with you,think I'll go apply for food stamps,thanks Demos you guys are the best and you know so much about Earth science.

That you MPD guy?

um.......

no.

Your gibberish IS confusing.

After judging by your quick insults and replies, my guess is you just copy and pasted your original thread and maybe don't know what you REALLY want to convey.

um.......

no.

Your gibberish IS confusing.

After judging by your quick insults and replies, my guess is you just copy and pasted your original thread and maybe don't know what you REALLY want to convey.

Sorry,MPD(multiple personalty disorder)guy usually gets mad when I point out the stupidity of the Demos,then he posts insults and uses those faces at the end pretending to be different people.Yea I did copy that,I found that article and figured I'd hook the BCvoice up so they know the truth.The message here is Al Gore and the Democrats will have you believe global warming caused by man made co2 is cause to use all the food grown and more land to make fuel,when they are full of crap and they are going to kill everybody.

Sorry,MPD(multiple personalty disorder)guy usually gets mad when I point out the stupidity of the Demos,then he posts insults and uses those faces at the end pretending to be different people.Yea I did copy that,I found that article and figured I'd hook the BCvoice up so they know the truth.The message here is Al Gore and the Democrats will have you believe global warming caused by man made co2 is cause to use all the food grown and more land to make fuel,when they are full of crap and they are going to kill everybody.

according to whom?

you?

the actual author?

*slaps own face for not being as politically savvy as a primate*

Rant, rant, rant....

blah blah blah

according to whom?

you?

the actual author?

*slaps own face for not being as politically savvy as a primate*

A recent study by the Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen

A paper published in the journal Science three months ago

he research group LMC International

Yet, according to the Guardian,

The Guardian concludes,

United Nations food official, Jean Ziegler,

*is MPD guy and might want to freshen up on reading skills*

A recent study by the Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen

A paper published in the journal Science three months ago

he research group LMC International

Yet, according to the Guardian,

The Guardian concludes,

United Nations food official, Jean Ziegler,

*is MPD guy and might want to freshen up on reading skills*

Your thread is dead...you lose...gooday

You have to be Republican to really understand,Demos are too stupid.
republican to really understand??? you have to be STUPID to make a statement like that. Liberal talk has far more value than one dimensional republican thinking. Galvatron??? go back to your comic books. let the adults talk now.

republican to really understand??? you have to be STUPID to make a statement like that. Liberal talk has far more value than one dimensional republican thinking. Galvatron??? go back to your comic books. let the adults talk now.

O.K. liberal,talk to me about what the liberals will do when all your precious poor people are starving in the street,what is your point here other than to insult a fictional character on BCvoice,real value there,liberal value hahahahaha

Guest galvatron vs. heathcliff
O.K. liberal,talk to me about what the liberals will do when all your precious poor people are starving in the street,what is your point here other than to insult a fictional character on BCvoice,real value there,liberal value hahahahaha
thats right. im more of a non fictional type. you must have been born in Endicott in 77. that would pardon you from discussions on reality. galvatron. powerful for a 10 yr old.

Great point there,good value.
when your computer lab is over in Elmira Correctional, what do you do after. do you trade juice for bread at meal pass. hows that work for you???? you guys watch movies on the weekend???

I did the doctor said it's extra brain and thats why I'm so smart,stop overwhelming me with all this value talk and good political points you're making me look like a complete idiot and like a immature 10 year old kid.

exactly

A recent study by the Nobel laureate Paul Crutzen shows that the official estimates have ignored the contribution of nitrogen fertilisers. They generate a greenhouse gas - nitrous oxide - that is 296 times as powerful as CO2. These emissions alone ensure that ethanol from maize causes between 0.9 and 1.5 times as much warming as petrol, while rapeseed oil (the source of more than 80% of the world's biodiesel) generates 1-1.7 times the impact of diesel. This is before you account for the changes in land use.

A paper published in the journal Science three months ago suggests that protecting uncultivated land saves, over 30 years, between two and nine times the carbon emissions you might avoid by ploughing it and planting biofuels. Last year the research group LMC International estimated that if the British and European target of a 5% contribution from biofuels were to be adopted by the rest of the world, the global acreage of cultivated land would expand by 15%. That means the end of most tropical forests. It might also cause runaway climate change.

That's what happens when activists and politicians focus on only one thing, carbon dioxide, the the big meanie of global warming. Yet methane and nitrous oxide are said by climatologists to be far more powerful in inducing global warming than CO2. Why focus on CO2? Michael Crichton pointed out in his book, State of Fear, that if the atmosphere was a football field, the amount of CO2 would be one inch of the field. Nonetheless, gobal warming alarmists say that a minute increase of that one inch places the entire earth in jeopardy.

Yet, according to the Guardian, the most damaging fact about biofuels is not they that will make global warming worse, but that

... using food to produce biofuels "might further strain already tight supplies of arable land and water all over the world, thereby pushing food prices up even further". This week, the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation will announce the lowest global food reserves in 25 years, threatening what it calls "a very serious crisis". Even when the price of food was low, 850 million people went hungry because they could not afford to buy it. With every increment in the price of flour or grain, several million more are pushed below the breadline.

The cost of rice has risen by 20% over the past year, maize by 50%, wheat by 100%. Biofuels aren't entirely to blame - by taking land out of food production they exacerbate the effects of bad harvests and rising demand - but almost all the major agencies are now warning against expansion. And almost all the major governments are ignoring them.

Get the irony? Global petroleum reserves are at an all-time high, while global food reserves are at one of their lowest levels in the modern era, yet we're reducing the amount of food we grow in order to use less oil. Already in the US, 15 percent (1.6 billion bushels) of corn production is devoted not to the table, but to the tank. The effect on the prices of other foods has been felt hard, especially animal foods, such as chickens, for which corn is a major foodstuff. Feed corn for livestock has risen sharply in price.

The Guardian concludes, perhaps somewhat hyperbolically, "If the governments promoting biofuels do not reverse their policies ... [m]illions will be displaced, hundreds of millions more could go hungry." Couldn't happen, you say? Well, consider that the banning of DDT in 1972 has resulted in the deaths of more people than died around the world in World War II (see this piece in 21st Century Science and and Technology magazine). Never underestimate the power of governments to destroy, and be especially wary when they claim the best of intentions in order to do so.

United Nations food official, Jean Ziegler, called biofuel production "a crime against humanity." A senior science advisor to the British Government, Roland Clift, called biofuels a political "scam." Biofuel production skyrockets food prices, damages the environment, and speeds global warming.

Food price increases caused by biofuel production will hurt the homeless, the disabled, and the elderly on fixed incomes most of all. Do we really want to make food so expensive that many will not be able to feed themselves and their children?

You Demos should be ashamed,you're going to starve all the poor and old people and the world because you are miserable and hate your life and want to drag everybody down with you,think I'll go apply for food stamps,thanks Demos you guys are the best and you know so much about Earth science.

I'll be damned. a republican that can read. thank god it didnt include fuzzy math statistics. say, could you transform into a bomb, and blow yourself up.

when your computer lab is over in Elmira Correctional, what do you do after. do you trade juice for bread at meal pass. hows that work for you???? you guys watch movies on the weekend???

Well I guess I'm a little out of my league here,with all this global warming and liberal values,forget I said anything,until you're starving and much cooler after Al reverses the heat stroke.

Well I guess I'm a little out of my league here,with all this global warming and liberal values,forget I said anything,until you're starving and much cooler after Al reverses the heat stroke.

already done.

cheese is all you bring to this table. you're better off eating it then attempting to speak in a political forum. your outsourced in this matter. i dont want to hurt your cartoon feelings.

Archived