cyo basketball

bballer

The CYO allstar games were both very good games. I saw a lot of talent and feel a lot of these players are as good if not better than a lot of STAC players.

some of the better players will not play for a teacher who never accomplished anything and knows nothing about the game. then, they have a god complex and think they are special because they can yell at kids.

i have no problem with genuine toughness and hustle, i played everyday like that and was very successful. but i refused to play for a blowhard with no knowledge of the game. teachers don't know more about sports than any other group of people. sports coaching is a magnet for failed adult teachers.

The CYO allstar games were both very good games. I saw a lot of talent and feel a lot of these players are as good if not better than a lot of STAC players.

Wrong.A few are good, possible bench players in STAC.

there is a reason they play Cyo- it because they suck and can't make their HS teams.

Sorry the truth hurts

really? when i played there were alot of players who were asked to play for their high school and refused. take all the pot shots you want. i know you didn't play either one.

I have watched both HS and CYO b-ball for the past 6 years (wathcing a son and his friends playing on various teams) and this is my honest opinion. There are a few CYO players who are capable of being starters some of the smaller HS teams. In my memory there is only one who was truely capable of playing at the big local HS and small college level (who played CYO) and that was Gerard Johnson. Most of the CYO teams have a one of two player who could be a reserve player on their HS team and the remainder of the team just don't have the talent, size or speed to play HS ball.

This is no condemnation of the CYO system.....nobody but nobody from this area is going to make a living playing basketball, so what is the difference? HS or CYO team, should be, in its purest form, fun and competitive and team building - it doesn't matter if it is playing for BHS, St John's, SCC or ME...hopefully it is a learning experience that is enjoyable.

Nuff said.

I have watched both HS and CYO b-ball for the past 6 years (wathcing a son and his friends playing on various teams) and this is my honest opinion. There are a few CYO players who are capable of being starters some of the smaller HS teams. In my memory there is only one who was truely capable of playing at the big local HS and small college level (who played CYO) and that was Gerard Johnson. Most of the CYO teams have a one of two player who could be a reserve player on their HS team and the remainder of the team just don't have the talent, size or speed to play HS ball.

This is no condemnation of the CYO system.....nobody but nobody from this area is going to make a living playing basketball, so what is the difference? HS or CYO team, should be, in its purest form, fun and competitive and team building - it doesn't matter if it is playing for BHS, St John's, SCC or ME...hopefully it is a learning experience that is enjoyable.

Nuff said.

the early 80's had some CYO players who would have been the best player on their HS teams. i don't know about recent players, but that era was loaded with talent.

Guest bcreader

I have two daughters that cheer for the CYO one has cheered for 4 yrs, I have seen many games. These kids are very good. For the younger ones it is a nice organization to start the basics of basketball. When the kids get older they have a choice of CYO or HS. A lot of them play CYO till they are to old to play.

Guest i am the walrus

It's no secret that there are players on CYO who wouldn't touch the floor in Varsity on a HS team. But you can't label them all and say that there aren't any good ones. I know for a fact that many players from CV just didn't want to play for the school team and decided to play CYO because it was more fun. Two players on that team can dunk, Ferry and Sodan. Now obviously dunking doesn't mean that you're good. But trust me they could have played for the school team. So, bash the other ones who suck all you want but don't say that all of them can't make the school team.

Guest that dude
It's no secret that there are players on CYO who wouldn't touch the floor in Varsity on a HS team. But you can't label them all and say that there aren't any good ones. I know for a fact that many players from CV just didn't want to play for the school team and decided to play CYO because it was more fun. Two players on that team can dunk, Ferry and Sodan. Now obviously dunking doesn't mean that you're good. But trust me they could have played for the school team. So, bash the other ones who suck all you want but don't say that all of them can't make the school team.

Zack Houston played for St. Pats 3 year ago and he playing for BCC and my boy todl me he is leading the league in SCORING AND REBOUNDING. Ya dat right not the team but the hole league. Gerodd never come close to doing that. Azim palyed for BCC a few ganmes & he was da best player in STAC and he wasnt even getting PLAying time at BCC. and a CYO palyer leasds the hole league in scoring AND rebounding bash CYO all you want Zack Houstin is proof. sorry 4 bad typing iw ent to BHS.

Yeah, we never even guessed you were going to make an idiot comment until the very end, right?

May be u went to Bingumton but u neva graddiated, or maybe you are 40 years old and think you are ever so clever.

Your Right. I think any CYO team would beat a team made up of high school bench players and some CYO teams could beat the starting five of some school teams. High school coaches pick favorites and of course politics are involved Imagine how good some of the High school teams could be if they picked all of thier players strickley on talent.

Guest Old School
Zack Houston played for St. Pats 3 year ago and he playing for BCC and my boy todl me he is leading the league in SCORING AND REBOUNDING. Ya dat right not the team but the hole league. Gerodd never come close to doing that. Azim palyed for BCC a few ganmes & he was da best player in STAC and he wasnt even getting PLAying time at BCC. and a CYO palyer leasds the hole league in scoring AND rebounding bash CYO all you want Zack Houstin is proof. sorry 4 bad typing iw ent to BHS.
Zach is the exception rather than the rule. An exceptional athlete, Zach as a 6'3" forward playing the fast-paced syle offered in D-III JC ball has an opportunity to showcase his talent, Unfortunately, who is watching???? The kids playing @ BCC are very good basketball players. I hope they put the same level of effort into their classroom endeavors.

the endicott cyo teams claimed they were better than the high school team 6 or 7 years ago. Ward allowed The endicott cyo allstars to play the ue team in a real game at the highschool after thier seasons were over. The cyo team got beat so bad there was never another one allowed to be played after that.

Archived