cyo basketball

bballer

the endicott cyo teams claimed they were better than the high school team 6 or 7 years ago. Ward allowed The endicott cyo allstars to play the ue team in a real game at the highschool after thier seasons were over. The cyo team got beat so bad there was never another one allowed to be played after that.
High school teams have many players to choose from. Schools the size of BHS and UE have many players at tryouts.Many of the CYO teams take players who show up at the gym and the coaches put a team together based on that. Also CYO teams have limited practice times, if they ran like the high school teams there would be CYO teams that could compete with school teams.

Guest UE Bball
the endicott cyo teams claimed they were better than the high school team 6 or 7 years ago. Ward allowed The endicott cyo allstars to play the ue team in a real game at the highschool after thier seasons were over. The cyo team got beat so bad there was never another one allowed to be played after that.

I know for a fact in '98 / '99 St. Anthony's Varsity CYO team which made the finals and just lost by a close margin would have killed the UE varsity that year because its best player, Cashawn Flemming, who has been the best bball player at UE in the last 20 years was tossed off the team early and joined SA CYO coupled with a number of other 3 year starters on previous UE school ball teams who decided to join SA CYO team because they were not a fan of the coach at that time. In my mind this team was the best produced CYO team at the varsity level that this area has seen in about 10 to 15 years. Too bad they suffered a heart crushing defeat as Cashawn had flu like symptons in the finals...or I would have crowned this SA team the best ever...in the modern day of CYO!!!

I know for a fact that many CYO players, including my son, left varsity programs on their own accord because of the coaches. There are many entries in bcvoice that deal with the poor quality of coaching in the area. After devoting hours on end to practice, being verbally abused in public, sitting while the coaches favorites start (no matter how many rules those starters may have broken) many fine athletes leave the ranks of high school ball for CYO. There is less stress and more fun.

Archived