Happy miracle on ice day

Navin R Johnson

At that time it united the country like never before. We could use another miracle like that now. It showed tha you could succeed and overcome long odds by not by being the best, but to be the best prepared. this should be an example to all teams at all levels. Team is most important. and so are miracles.

I remember how abc decided not to show it live. it was a 5pm game. but decided to show it tape delay. but then i remember jim mckay coming on when it was over and told viewers to change the channel or somthing like that if they didnt want to know how it turned out in case they wanted to see it. Al Michaels was the announcer and we was just as excited as the fans. I remember watching the game and being only 11yrs old not fully understanding how big it was. now looking back it is bigger than ever. USA USA

The thing that many forget is that the win over the USSR did not give the USA the gold medal. Had to win one more game, against, I think, Sweeden?

finland to win the gold.....they tied sweden in the first game, scoring a goal with 30 seconds left. if they lose that game, they would have been eliminated from medal contention.

I remember how abc decided not to show it live. it was a 5pm game. but decided to show it tape delay. but then i remember jim mckay coming on when it was over and told viewers to change the channel or somthing like that if they didnt want to know how it turned out in case they wanted to see it.

You missed something then. Some articles in the coming days picked up on this and lambasted ABC, most did not.

After work that day, I sequestered myself so I would not know who won. No radio, no TV, no phone calls for a few hours, until the game time arrived. McKay comes on, does his thing and his best not to in any way, shape or form reveal who won the game, but then they showed a scene where some fans were in the background wearing USA gear, pointing #1 vigorously with their fingers (a big clue there), and the sign that ruined it all (in a storefront window if I recall...it's been 28 years) "Go for the Gold Sunday USA Hockey!" or whatever it said exactly.

So, I knew who won THANKS to ABC being stupid, but it was exciting none-the-less!

Of course the 9 or 10am game vs Finland on Sunday to clinch the gold was live.

finland to win the gold.....they tied sweden in the first game, scoring a goal with 30 seconds left. if they lose that game, they would have been eliminated from medal contention.

No, it would not have eliminated them and they would have tied the Soviets for first in the Medal Round. Not sure if they would have gotten the Gold, a shared Gold or a tie-broken Silver.

They would have still made the medal round as the 3rd place team in the USA's Blue division (the Czechs) finished the Opening Round 3-2, while the USA (who was 4-0-1 in reality) with a loss to the Swedes would have been second behind the Swedes at 4-1 with the Swedes 5-0, but still would have played the USSR in the same 1st medal Round game, again being the second seed. (As it was, 4-0-1 Sweden was the top seed out of the blue as they had a better goal differential than the 4-0-1 USA (26-7 vs 25-10 for the USA). Had Sweden beaten the USA, same seeding of course).

Now, if Sweden had beaten the USA in that very first game instead of tieing, with the USA-Sweden and USSR-Finland games carrying over the the Medal Round as they do, going into the medal round the standings would have been

1-0-0 USSR

1-0-0 Sweden

0-1-0 USA

0-1-0 Finland

Using the SAME results that actually occurred in the medal round, the standings would have been

2-1-0 USA

2-1-0 USSR

1-1-1 Sweden

0-2-1 Finland

Not sure if there was a Medal Round tiebreaker back then...an outright Gold win (having beaten USSR) a shared Gold or a Silver based on USSR having a much better goal differential overall among the medal round games. (USSR had a 16-8 GF-GA, USA would have been 9-7 GF-GA had they lost to Sweden).

In the Opening Round, the tiebreaker WAS head-to-head (Canada and Finland each finished 3-2, and Canada had a MUCH better GF-Ga differential, but Finland went on to the Medal Round because they beat Canada 4-3). So I am thinking (but not at all certain) the Medal Round tiebreaker was head-to-head also and USA still winds up winning the Gold even if they lost to Sweden.

Archived