Parade Day Observations

Guest BobbyCreekwater

Guest BobbyCreekwater

For the past 5 years or so I've attended the Parade and have always observed on the corner of Front St. and Main St. There have always been a lot of people drinking there, but it was always local people...everyone knew each other for the most part, and it certainly wasn't out of control by any means...just good people having a good time at the parade. The area wasn't overcrowded and people were always respectful, shut their mouthes, and got out of the way if there were familes walking by or mothers pushing a stroller through the crowd. Also, there were no fights. Up until 2007's parade nobody ever made a peep about open containers, disrespect to families/children, or the garbage problem (I won't even get in to how easily this could have been solved, and yes the city knows people party there this isn't anything new...they could've prepared for it).

So what was different about 2007's parade?

Did anyone happen to notice the large infestation of SUNY kids in attendance during 2007's parade. It's not hard to spot SUNY kids anywhere. 20-something year old "townies" know this. Not all, but most of thesm are spoiled rotten Long Island punks with no respect for anything.

I don't care how good they are for the local economy, if they weren't attending a lot of the nonsense that went on wouldn't have. Now, people who are from Binghamton that know how to act and behave with a beer in their hand will be confined to State St. with the SUNY idiots. The few ruined it for the majority.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

It was sunny and around 60 degrees.

SUNY kids have been at the parade for years. If there were more last year it was because of the weather, and the fact that there are more students in general.

It was sunny and around 60 degrees.

SUNY kids have been at the parade for years. If there were more last year it was because of the weather, and the fact that there are more students in general.

Sorry man you've been spot on in almost all your posts regarding the parade and I've been in total agreement thus far but it was not even close to 60 last parade day. 40 tops with the sun out. Definitely not even close to 60. 40 with the sun out does feel warm however so maybe you just thought it felt that warm? Just sayin'.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Sorry man you've been spot on in almost all your posts regarding the parade and I've been in total agreement thus far but it was not even close to 60 last parade day. 40 tops with the sun out. Definitely not even close to 60. 40 with the sun out does feel warm however so maybe you just thought it felt that warm? Just sayin'.

Alright, I had to look it up. It was 41 degrees and sunny. Sure felt warmer though. ;) Thanks for keeping me honest.

For the past 5 years or so I've attended the Parade and have always observed on the corner of Front St. and Main St. There have always been a lot of people drinking there, but it was always local people...everyone knew each other for the most part, and it certainly wasn't out of control by any means...just good people having a good time at the parade. The area wasn't overcrowded and people were always respectful, shut their mouthes, and got out of the way if there were familes walking by or mothers pushing a stroller through the crowd. Also, there were no fights. Up until 2007's parade nobody ever made a peep about open containers, disrespect to families/children, or the garbage problem (I won't even get in to how easily this could have been solved, and yes the city knows people party there this isn't anything new...they could've prepared for it).

Did anyone happen to notice the large infestation of SUNY kids in attendance during 2007's parade. It's not hard to spot SUNY kids anywhere. 20-something year old "townies" know this. Not all, but most of thesm are spoiled rotten Long Island punks with no respect for anything.

I don't care how good they are for the local economy, if they weren't attending a lot of the nonsense that went on wouldn't have. Now, people who are from Binghamton that know how to act and behave with a beer in their hand will be confined to State St. with the SUNY idiots. The few ruined it for the majority.

I work at SUNY and I actually supervise some of your so called "punks" who are working their way through college. They are very polite and respectful and do not deserve the label you "townies" have placed on them. I would much rather associate with them than the local deadbeat townies who cant grow up, leave their friends and get jobs. (The ones who have left the area on are still coming home for a parade) ??? WTF. These "punks" will finish school get jobs and get on with their life. They, unlike you "townies", have something besides the ST Patricks Day Parade to live for.

Guest Agree but disagree
I work at SUNY and I actually supervise some of your so called "punks" who are working their way through college. They are very polite and respectful and do not deserve the label you "townies" have placed on them. I would much rather associate with them than the local deadbeat townies who cant grow up, leave their friends and get jobs. (The ones who have left the area on are still coming home for a parade) ??? WTF. These "punks" will finish school get jobs and get on with their life. They, unlike you "townies", have something besides the ST Patricks Day Parade to live for.

I don't believe the poster was referring to the ones working their way through college as punks, he was talking about the ones who have mommy and daddy's credit card and think they are better than everyone else and do whatever they want. I'm sure the ones you supervise are decent folks. Like Bobby said, Most but not all are arrogant jerks. Have you ever been to any of the state street bars on friday or saturday night while class is in session and actually seen the way some of these people act? Not all townies are deadbeats, not all SUNY students are jerks. And what's wrong with coming home to see your friends for the parade? It's a really fun event!

Cheers!

How do you know which young people are SUNY students??? To get into Binghamton University from out of town you must be a straight A student. Most BU students I see do not have piercings or tatoos.

Guest BobbyCreekwater
How do you know which young people are SUNY students??? To get into Binghamton University from out of town you must be a straight A student. Most BU students I see do not have piercings or tatoos.

You might be a SUNY student if you have one or more of the following:

-Long Island Accents (dead giveaway)

-Fake Tans

-Hotti Gotti haircuts

-Trendy clothing 3 sizes too small

-UGG Boots

-Shirts with frat insignia

-Driving an out of state car with any of the above characteristics.

What do straight A's have to do with being an DELETED? Piercings or tatoos? Where did that come from? Are you posting in the right thread?

You might be a SUNY student if you have one or more of the following:

-Long Island Accents (dead giveaway)

-Fake Tans

-Hotti Gotti haircuts

-Trendy clothing 3 sizes too small

-UGG Boots

-Shirts with frat insignia

-Driving an out of state car with any of the above characteristics.

What do straight A's have to do with being an a-hole? Piercings or tatoos? Where did that come from? Are you posting in the right thread?

UGG boots are a dead dead giveaway for the chicks without a doubt. Worst fashion trend ever.

So we can't have an arrogant attitude towards the students, but it's ok for you to have one towards us?

Is that about right?

I used to drive cab on the weekends. Most of the students were polite, at least when I picked them up on campus and they were sober. Most of those were generally polite even after two hours of non-stop drinking. They get very trashed very quickly.

A few of them threw up in the cab and didn't have the decency or the stones to even tell me. Some of them act arrogant and rude after getting hammered, too. Not most, but some.

Can't get jobs? Most of us locals do have jobs, Pedro. It's the urban trash from other cities moving here for the cheap housing that don't have jobs. You know, the ones who walk the city streets and sell illicit drugs to students?

WOW, I grew up in this area and graduated from college in Buffalo a year ago. I know exactly what the Long Island punks are, because they definitely CAN be spotted anywhere in Binghamton. I am now living back home in Binghamton with a good JOB, so you can call me a townie if you want but do NOT call me a deadbeat who cant grow up. I have been attending parade day for the past few years and there was a difference with the SUNY kids there. They are so disrespectful and think they can get away with anything (ie yelling obnoxious things to families who walk by, throw glass bottles in the street, etc.). Before last year, it was much different. I too am in the crowd that drinks during the parade but I had never seen it like it was last year and I am blaming it on the SUNY kids. I came back from school every year to attend this parade and see my friends I haven't seen in a while and have fun... not deal with BU kids' idiotic acts. You can point them out anywhere and anytime, not just parade day. Go to Uncle Tony's on a saturday night and you will see how they act and think they "run" the place and act like loud obnoxious idiots. They live up to their stereotype and if you ever saw them outside of a school setting you would see this.

I think you all need to take a closer look at the pictures of the crowd on the corner of Front & Main from last years parade. I think you will see some faces you recognize. There were alot of local kids on that corner too.

You claim you came back to Binghamton after you graduated and got a good job. Well congratulations- I think you have the only good job in Binghamton. Sorta makes me wonder why youre hanging at Uncle Tonys on the week-ends with the "punks" How come youre not hanging at the Pine Lounge with all the rest of your homies? Now there is some real class.

Wonder if you were part of the "townies" that beat the kid unconscious under the bridge a few yeras back and left him for dead? There were what about 12-15 townies there? Tell me it is unfair to judge all the locals because of a few bad eggs, I will tell you that out of that entire campus there might be a couple of idiots but for the most part they are good kids. Weither you want to admit it or not they do a lot for this area. I'd be willing to bet they are spending a lot more money and craeting a lot more revenue in this area than most of the deadbeats that cant seem to get away from here.

You cant single out the SUNY kids... They have as much right as anyone else down there... it came down to people complaining about the trash... That was a separate issue. People in this town like to expound on what caused the 800.00 dollars worth of trash. The simple answer to this was the city not being prepared for the number of people residing on that corner. I myself placed a beer bottle on the ground, probably several. not to liter. i didnt have a built in trash can on my persons. that would have solved the problem. people have drank outside that bar for every parade after the centerfold closed. a large volume of people will create a large volume of anything. no one got stupid. no one got arrested. people want to quip about anything. go ahead and ask the people in the parade why they enjoy it. i guarantee, the greatest excitement they get from it, is the last 50 yard stretch... it isnt to be drunk, rude, and obnoxious... its called being an active participant. and any parent that cares about their childs welfare, should NEVER consider being in that area, not because of the so called drunks, but because of the volume of people there.

p.s. I hope SUNY students come out in force.... Im from binghamton. and you are all we got... other than sniveling townies...

And you whine that we all had "bad attitudes" towards students.

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go back home. Maybe your Mommy will want to hear it.

Archived