which pool do you recommend and why

Guest wondering

Guest wondering

We are thinking of getting a pool and would like to hear from pool owners. What are the pro's and con's of above-ground and in-ground pools?

Guest Guest

Just my opinion but inground is nicer looking.

However, your insurance will go up, you'll have to put up a fence, heating it costs a fortune, and if you ever plan on selling your house, it's actually harder to sell with a pool.

Guest Guest

I agree that trying to sell a house with a pool is harder. My home came with an above ground pool and I was very hesitant of buying my home because of all the upkeep of the pool. In the end it worked out fine. And don't forget you can always take it down when you don't want it anymore or if it gets to be a pain to upkeep. You can't do that with an inground pool.

Guest Guest one

Last summer there were FOUR good pool days. It's upstate New York. Take the money you think you have to spend on a pool, put half into savings, and go to DisneyWorld or Destin. You could probably go twice this summer. Every year you can go someplace else warm and wonderful with the money you will SAVE from not having a pool. And if you are the wife, remember that a pool is an extension of the house. MORE work for you to maintain it. Have fun in Florida.

Guest Guest one

Last summer there were FOUR good pool days. It's upstate New York. Take the money you think you have to spend on a pool, put half into savings, and go to DisneyWorld or Destin. You could probably go twice this summer. Every year you can go someplace else warm and wonderful with the money you will SAVE from not having a pool. And if you are the wife, remember that a pool is an extension of the house. MORE work for you to maintain it. Have fun in Florida.

Guest Guest

That is a quote from someone who probably isn't handy enough to own a pool.

I have a large inground pool that is simple to maintain. How hard is it to check the water daily and possibly add chemicals? Also if you are worried that your wife won't help with it then you have far more important things to work on that a pool. YOUR RELATIONSHIP!!

In-ground pools are nicer lookin, deeper and just plain more classy. When we bought our house we were looking for a pool.

You may want to look at Royal Fiberglass pools ( Inground one piece fiberglass)up in Preble/ tully area. I have one and it is great. All one piece, no liner ( dog enjoys that).,low chemical costs, and it is moveable if you decide to re- locate....Best thing we ever did...

Guest Guest
You may want to look at Royal Fiberglass pools ( Inground one piece fiberglass)up in Preble/ tully area. I have one and it is great. All one piece, no liner ( dog enjoys that).,low chemical costs, and it is moveable if you decide to re- locate....Best thing we ever did...

Thats the pool i want to get, what was the cost of the small one they have???

Guest guest
Last summer there were FOUR good pool days....

Four good pool days???? I work outside and last summer was hotter than hell, especially August. We have a big pond and the wife and kiids swam in it all summer long...I couldn't wait to get home and jump in after work. Just what do you consider a "good" pool day???? :rolleyes:

Guest Guest

We have an inground pool and we use it quite a bit. The nice thing about a pool is that you can go out back and jump in for 5 minutes and cool off and relax even if you dont have time for a long swim. If you go swimming elsewhere quite a bit and would go more if you had the time a pool is probably for you. I think it is a great alternative to a second 'lake house' and way cheaper than that!

That being said they are a bit of work. The biggest thing is the tree debris unless you live out in the middle of a field. And you have to buy chemicals and check frequently becuase acid rain and tree debris in your pool changes the chemical balance.....Heating the pool can be expensive. Some summers a solar blanket is enough but some summers with frequent cold nights a heater is handy.

We have an inground pool. The do look a lot nicer than above ground but you are stuck with them unlike an above ground pool.

There are certainly pros and cons to both, depending on what suits your own needs.

I have a large above ground pool, nice one, not a 'cheap' k-mart model. The upkeep of it is actually quite simple, as long as you keep it maintained. I have a sand filter. All I do is balance the water at the start of the season, then maintain with weekly chlorine and shock doses, then balance it again at the end before winterizing. Had this pool now for 8 years, never had any water problems or such, still using the original sand in the filter, have not had to replce it yet (I run a chemical through that re-etches the sand for longer filtering use).

Anyhow, the pro's of it, above grounds are usually less expensive to purchase and install. Although they don't generally look as fancy and expensive as inground's, with some simle deck work and landscaping they can be truly eye-appealing. I built a large deck on mine and a stone retaining wall nto the hillside that is next to it... looks great. Above grounds have no deep end though (normally), I have been in some older ones that get deeper in the center. A definite pro is that it is very easy to do any plumbing work or replacement in it, which can be tricky and expensive for an in-ground, especially when something goes wrong.

In grounds offer more design styles than above grounds. You can have multiple deepness levels, and they are more permanent. You can 'take them out', but certainly (aside from the fiberglass ones) can't take them with you if you move. It is certainly more expensive to purchase and have an in-ground installed, as well it is also more expensive to have one properly filled in and 'removed' There tends to be a better variety of accessories for in-grounds, such as slides, water slides, etc... You can't really 'dive' into above grounds, but with a deep end of around 8' in an in-ground, you can get a diving board....

Again, what matters is what your primary use will be, and what your budget for one is. For myself, we have small children, and the pool we have with true 4' of water (52" walls) works out great. I'm not a great swimmer, I just like to soak and lounge. For people who are more 'swimmers', they may like a deep end. It tends to be easier to watch small children with an above ground as the only access to the pool is via a ladder or deck, as opposed to the inground where as long as they are anywhere inside the fence you must have, they could fall in from anywhere on any side.

just sum thoughts!

Four good pool days???? I work outside and last summer was hotter than hell, especially August. We have a big pond and the wife and kiids swam in it all summer long...I couldn't wait to get home and jump in after work. Just what do you consider a "good" pool day???? :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Thats the pool i want to get, what was the cost of the small one they have???

Not sure on the small one but ours was around $22,000 pool, excavation/ water delivery. If you get one, DO NOT SKIMP on the pea stone fill that goes around it. That keeps ground water away which is the enemy...

The people there are AWESomE! Once you get up and running, don;t buy chemicals from there. Go to the guy a Hydro Heaven in West Corners. That guy knows his pool chemistry. Cheaper supplies also.

Guest Guest
Not sure on the small one but ours was around $22,000 pool, excavation/ water delivery. If you get one, DO NOT SKIMP on the pea stone fill that goes around it. That keeps ground water away which is the enemy...

The people there are AWESomE! Once you get up and running, don;t buy chemicals from there. Go to the guy a Hydro Heaven in West Corners. That guy knows his pool chemistry. Cheaper supplies also.

We get our pool chemicals online from a company in Buffalo and the prices are great. We use salt and no clorine in the pool we have now and it works great with our well water.

Guest Pool Owner

I have been an above Grd pool owner for 19 years....GREAT ONE!!!

I have gone thru a few liners but to tell you the truth...

any pool is great as long as you keep it clean..and ANY pool you get I would put in a ONE LEVEL thru out

like 42 inches deep the ENTIRE pool...great party pool..we have famlly volley ball tourneys and the kids (now grown up) have had some of the greatest parties ever...

so if you get one think about the one level pool

just my two cents :rolleyes:

Guest Guest

I love how opinionated some people are about just about any topic whatsoever. I have owned three houses and have had three pools. Two in-ground and one above ground. I have sold two houses, one with an in-ground, one with an above-ground pool. I sold both very easily. When the house is advertised, people who don't like pools will not show up to look at it. As for insurance, I've never viewed any rate increases as excessive. As for the poster who said there were 4 good pool days last summer, he (she) is dead wrong. Last summer was a great summer to own a pool. As for the heating issue, in-ground pools retain their heat better than above ground pools. As for a pool being a money pit.....I don't agree. I spend a few hundred dollars a year for chemicals. If you run your pump on 220 rather than 110, the electric cost is reasonable. Caring and maintaining pools is easy. A little bit of care on a regular basis and it's a snap. In-ground pools are easier to vacuum etc, simply because you can walk around it easily. It is true that if you install an in-ground pool that you will likely have to fence it in, have an alarm on the pool (new code regulation in most jurisdictions) and it will have to satisfy electric and other code regulations. With 20,000 gallons of water in my back yard, I think that the regulations are justified and worth it for peace of mind. Pools are not cheap to install. That is a fact. If you are a person who enjoys pools, it is well worth the money

Guest Guest

We considered a pool, but in the end decided to get a membership at a pool nearby, and we are totally happy with our decision. We figured the $350/year for the (probably at the most) ten years we need it ends up being very cost effective. We love it--instead of being pool hosts, there are always friends up there, and no maintenance!

I love how opinionated some people are about just about any topic whatsoever. I have owned three houses and have had three pools. Two in-ground and one above ground. I have sold two houses, one with an in-ground, one with an above-ground pool. I sold both very easily. When the house is advertised, people who don't like pools will not show up to look at it. As for insurance, I've never viewed any rate increases as excessive. As for the poster who said there were 4 good pool days last summer, he (she) is dead wrong. Last summer was a great summer to own a pool. As for the heating issue, in-ground pools retain their heat better than above ground pools. As for a pool being a money pit.....I don't agree. I spend a few hundred dollars a year for chemicals. If you run your pump on 220 rather than 110, the electric cost is reasonable. Caring and maintaining pools is easy. A little bit of care on a regular basis and it's a snap. In-ground pools are easier to vacuum etc, simply because you can walk around it easily. It is true that if you install an in-ground pool that you will likely have to fence it in, have an alarm on the pool (new code regulation in most jurisdictions) and it will have to satisfy electric and other code regulations. With 20,000 gallons of water in my back yard, I think that the regulations are justified and worth it for peace of mind. Pools are not cheap to install. That is a fact. If you are a person who enjoys pools, it is well worth the money

One of my properties with a above ground pool sold to the first buyer. It was a beautiful home. I put a lot of work into that place. The yard was fenced for our dogs and because of the steep back yard, the pool was almost built into the side of the hill. With the deck extended from the back of the house to almost surround the pool it appeared as though it was a inground pool. Even set up a small slide off the hill.

Pools are very easy to maintain. Yes we have a short pool season but nothing beats a dip in a pool after a hard days work.

Guest Guest

I have a coral isle pool for the last 12 yrs and have enjoyed it alot.

the maint hasent cost me over a 100 bucks a yr with the exception of a new filter.

By the way we had way more than 4 days of pool use last year and every yr since.

inground doesnt add to your taxes and does add alot of fun and party uses, more bang for the buck!

ps i still have the same liner too! coral does a fantastic job but if you dont mind climbing stairs to swim or not being able to look out of your house and see the beauty of the pool maybe an above ground will fit better for your trailer.

Guest Guest
We are thinking of getting a pool and would like to hear from pool owners. What are the pro's and con's of above-ground and in-ground pools?

Inground only if you have the money. Those are quite expensive :unsure:

Forget the pool and get a Hot Tub. In the summer you can leave the heat off and soak in a cool tub and when the weather is cooler turn the heat on. This does not take up as much room as a pool and the maintanance is a lot cheaper. I have had a pool for about 20 years and believe me the rules are getting more stringent. You must now have an alarm system I have heard. Don't know that much about it so you should check into it with your Code Enforcement department.

Forget the pool and get a Hot Tub. In the summer you can leave the heat off and soak in a cool tub and when the weather is cooler turn the heat on. This does not take up as much room as a pool and the maintanance is a lot cheaper. I have had a pool for about 20 years and believe me the rules are getting more stringent. You must now have an alarm system I have heard. Don't know that much about it so you should check into it with your Code Enforcement department.

Yeah get a hot tub if you want SARS. :blink: Way too many germs. At least with a pool, the water cools off so bacteria doesn't spread nearly as quickly and isn't as abundant :huh:

Archived