Time Warner Strikes Again AARRRGGGHHH !

PARMELEE

Guest BC Voice of Reason
I looked for this on their site and could not find it. Which issue and page # please. If you have a link it it, please post here.

Thanks

Here's some info: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6523660.html

I guess TWC really doesn't want any of my money. Once they put the cap in here, I'll definitely be leaving Time Warner for good.

Guest another guest

I looked for this on their site and could not find it. Which issue and page # please. If you have a link it it, please post here.

Thanks

Yes hi, I don't have a link, but it is in the April 2008 issue of PCWorld magazine, page 33. The article is similar to the one linked to above. It might not be as bad as it sounds, I guess it depends on how much bandwidth you typically use. Just wanted to give a heads up on what they're up to. You know TW, they say now it's only for new subscribers...how long do you think that will last. ;)

Guest cheap bastard

Verizon dry loop DSL (no dial tone, just internet) 3mps down/856kbps up, good enough $25.00/month

over the air digital TV, 8 channels. Free

Gizmo VOIP with incoming POTS number $3.00/month

Cell phone - same price as everybody else, eagerly watching the breaking price wars for unlimited service.

Guest Guest

Verizon dry loop DSL (no dial tone, just internet) 3mps down/856kbps up, good enough $25.00/month

over the air digital TV, 8 channels. Free

Gizmo VOIP with incoming POTS number $3.00/month

Not Giving Time Warner 1 cent... Priceless

Guest Guest

Time Warner Cable to Test Internet Caps in Texas

Tiered Cable Modem Plans Aimed at Heaviest Broadband Users

By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 1/17/2008 1:52:00 PM

Time Warner Cable is targeting the small number of subscribers who eat up most of its Internet bandwidth, with plans to test a new tiered pricing structure for broadband access later this year in Beaumont, Texas, that will charge customers based on how much data they download.

The operator plans to offer four different packages that would cap monthly data downloads at 5, 10, 20 or 40 Gigabytes, according to Time Warner Cable spokesman Alex Dudley. As of yet, there’s no unlimited option planned for the trial. Pricing has not been determined for the tiers, he said.

The tiered pricing would apply only to new customers, not existing ones. If customers exceed their data-download limit, they will be charged additional per-gigabyte fees. “It’s kind of like a cell phone plan,” Dudley said.

The Beaumont system provides service to around 90,000 voice, video and data subscribers in 15 towns. In the region, the operator currently offers unlimited-usage broadband service for $44.95 to cable TV customers and $54.95 to non-TV subscribers.

The goal of the trial is to improve overall network performance by setting usage limits for the 5% of subscribers who use more than 50% of total network bandwidth, Dudley said. “A very small number of users is using an incredibly large percentage of the bandwidth,” he said.

Time Warner Cable has not determined when it will initiate the test, according to Dudley, except that it likely will be sometime in the second quarter.

Some cable operators already set limits on the maximum amount of data subscribers can download.

Cox Communications, for example, caps downloads at 40 Gbytes downstream and uploads at 10 Gbytes upstream per month for its “preferred” broadband package, and at 60 Gbytes down and 15 Gbytes up for the “premier” plan.

Comcast’s policy is to issue warnings to users who consume too much bandwidth. While it does not define data thresholds, Comcast has said a subscriber who downloads more than 1,000 songs per day would trigger a warning to cut back on usage.

Well this was from 1-17-08 and its the first I heard about it.

TWC, what a joke

I have to agree somewhat with the earlier poster on the lack of people using the "search" funtion before posting a question of this nature. If the topic has been discussed before, there will be alot of good infomation that might not be posted again. I myself have written quite lengthy posts on this subject in the past...as have many others..trying to help people with their questions. And I don't type very fast, lol. The search funtion is very handy..more people should use it.

However, much info was lost when the old database was lost, so I don't mind repeating my two cents worth one more time.

Cable is not an option where I live. We used to have a big dish system, but big dish programming has lost many many channels so it was time for a change. I looked into both directv and dishnetwork. Really there were only 2 main differences between the two that I could see. One is, if you're a big football fan and willing to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket (about $250. for the season now), directtv is the only one that offers it. The other main difference, and the one that made me choose dishnetwork over directtv, is dishnetwork offers dual feed recievers. Directv has only single feed recievers. What that means is one dual feed reciever can run two tv's independently. We have 4 tv's, so I ordered 2 dual feed recievers and everyone can watch whatever they want on any tv. One is a Dual DVR reciever, for recording shows and works great. All the equipment and the installation was free to new subscribers, by the way, with both directv and dishnetwork. But to run 4 tv's independently with directtv, I would have needed 4 recievers. One is included with your subscription, additional recievers are 5 bucks a month with both satellite services. So with dishnetwork, it cost me an extra 5 bucks/month for the one extra dual feed reciever, Directtv would have been an extra 15 bucks per month for the 3 recievers to do the same thing. That adds up over time..well, it's an extra 120 dollars a year to be exact.

I already had the coax run to each tv, so hookup was easy. One wire to each tv carries both the satellite feed and any off air channels that you can get. Plus you can add DVD or VHS players into the mix with just that one coax, if you want. Switching from one to the other is as easy as changing the channel with the remote. Punch in 12 and wbng comes on..punch in 3 and I'm back to satellite. Change the imput and the dvd will play...pretty simple. I also get all the networks, both east and west coast feeds and PBS for 1.50/ mo each. I only had one old waiver from Fox I got years ago from the big dish days, and voilla, they all came in as a network package deal. They are not our local channels though, most are out of NYC. The west coast feeds are from California and came with the network package..they aren't extra , you get east and west for 1.50. Whenever our local stations decide to uplink their signal to the satellite providers, they will be able to be offered. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting though...it's probably a couple years down the road. But on the subject of our local channels, as an earlier poster said..if you have or get a new tv with a built in digital HD tuner, the local channels are coming in..for FREE..in HD..over the air. We live out in the hinderlands of Apalachin. I am picking them up with my outside antenna. My daughter lives in Endicott and she picks them up with a cheap ($20) indoor antenna from radio shack.

As for DSL, we just got it recently through Frontier. Never having roadrunner, I can't compare the two, but it seems pretty fast to me. Pages load in a second, large pics come in a couple seconds, a typical 4 minute song takes about 15 - 20 seconds. Compared to my old dialup, this is like lightning to me, lol.

Lastly, need one more reason to hate Time Warner?...(probably not)...Another thing about Roadrunner people might not know yet is, Time warner will soon be testing a new fee structure based on bandwidth consumption. The days of unlimited-access for one price are going to go away eventually. There will be new packages offered with monthly download caps of 5, 10, 20, or 40 gigabytes. No plan for unlimited access will be offered once this is in place. The article on this is in the new issue of PC magazine if you want to check it out.

Hope this was helpful, any other questions feel free to ask. And don't forget about that SEARCH button. :)

Thanks for the info it was indeed informative....And for those that got their nuts tied up in a knot when I asked the question, some of us don't have the time to spend sitting at the computor trying to find information, and even less time "talking" to one..

Again thanks I wouldn't have known about the "duel" box and the difference between the 2 services if you hadn't posted....Have a good one...

. . . . We dumped TWC, from a family position. RR is still here because its used for work . . .

Then you still have access to TW with a TV that has a QAM tuner.

I'm living in a box by the river, can I still get RR?

You'd better make sure you're well grounded. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

. . . . Lastly, need one more reason to hate Time Warner?...(probably not)...Another thing about Roadrunner people might not know yet is, Time Warner will soon be testing a new fee structure based on bandwidth consumption. The days of unlimited-access for one price are going to go away eventually. There will be new packages offered with monthly download caps of 5, 10, 20, or 40 gigabytes. No plan for unlimited access will be offered once this is in place. . . .

By that time, hopefully the Binghamton WiFi project will have become such a smashing success that we have fiber-optic core FREE and UNLIMITED wifi City-wide!

I have had Directv for almost 10 years. I was glad to get rid of Time Warner. My dish is on the front right corner of my house and is visible from the street. I enjoy the yearly visit from people from Time Warner offering me the moon if I would just come back to them. It is the same thing every year. We are willing to give you everything free for 6 to 12 months. Then they hit you with the price after they have sucked you in. It is not worth taking them up on their offer because after the 6 to 12 month invitation you are back to being a slave to them and paying increases every couple of months.

I have had Directv for almost 10 years. I was glad to get rid of Time Warner. My dish is on the front right corner of my house and is visible from the street. I enjoy the yearly visit from people from Time Warner offering me the moon if I would just come back to them. It is the same thing every year. We are willing to give you everything free for 6 to 12 months. Then they hit you with the price after they have sucked you in. It is not worth taking them up on their offer because after the 6 to 12 month invitation you are back to being a slave to them and paying increases every couple of months.
They keep sending me offers to change my phone service. Its kinda funny I got my rate increase and a letter telling me how much cheaper their phone is. Thought it was pretty funny.

Guest robert
If you live in the "greater binghamton" area, you WILL NOT be allowed to get the networks through Direct as your considered to be in a grade "A" signal area. Now if you live up towards Bainbridge, that is considered a grade "B" area and you can automatically get all the networks except CBS. But WBNG has in the past given waivers out so that you can get CBS as well.

That is BS i have direct tv and i get all of the local channels from my box i have the direct tv hd dvr box and all you need is a set of small rabbit ears to get every one of the local channels that time warner has for $7.00 for free and to top it all off you get channel wbng in HD unlike time warner! You get 2 channels of 34 east and west coast 2 channels 40 east & west coast 3 channels of 46 ALL FOR FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! And i want you poeple that think time warner is so great ask them when they plan on having more than 10 channels of hd programing added to there line up and guess what they can't tell you that right now and if and when they do they will tell that yes your bill is going to go trew the roof !!!!!!! Now you are asking me how i know this because i had a rep. call me on the phone tues. of this week and offer me phone,internet,and cable with HBO&CINEMAX all for an interductury price of $108.00 for 12 month's and i asked the lady when they would be getting more HD channels and she couldn"t tell me !!!!!

That is BS i have direct tv and i get all of the local channels from my box i have the direct tv hd dvr box and all you need is a set of small rabbit ears to get every one of the local channels that time warner has for $7.00 for free and to top it all off you get channel wbng in HD unlike time warner! You get 2 channels of 34 east and west coast 2 channels 40 east & west coast 3 channels of 46 ALL FOR FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! And i want you poeple that think time warner is so great ask them when they plan on having more than 10 channels of hd programing added to there line up and guess what they can't tell you that right now and if and when they do they will tell that yes your bill is going to go trew the roof !!!!!!! Now you are asking me how i know this because i had a rep. call me on the phone tues. of this week and offer me phone,internet,and cable with HBO&CINEMAX all for an interductury price of $108.00 for 12 month's and i asked the lady when they would be getting more HD channels and she couldn"t tell me !!!!!

Guest Guest
Thanks for the info it was indeed informative....And for those that got their nuts tied up in a knot when I asked the question, some of us don't have the time to spend sitting at the computor trying to find information, and even less time "talking" to one..

Again thanks I wouldn't have known about the "duel" box and the difference between the 2 services if you hadn't posted....Have a good one...

You have been sitting at your computer waiting for people to answer this question and keep responding and reading responses. For how many days? Seriously, think about it dude, you wasted way more time asking on bcvoice when the information you need should be coming from the company who will be supplying the services to you. If I say I got a deal at Vonage for my digital phone for x dollars, you STILL have to call them and ask them for their price and talk to a customer service rep.

So, think about what you are saying on here about spending time sitting at the computer trying to find information. Because that is exactly what you did on here times 10.

Guest Guest
I still get the 4 basic local cable channels so I can watch the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, and it's only $5 per month.

There's five locally affiliated channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS), so which one don't you get?

Maybe the NBC as it's really just a cable feed and not a true local affiliate?

Guest another guest

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 6 2008, 10:40 PM)

If you live in the "greater binghamton" area, you WILL NOT be allowed to get the networks through Direct as your considered to be in a grade "A" signal area....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert

That is BS i have direct tv and i get all of the local channels from my box i have the direct tv hd dvr box and all you need is a set of small rabbit ears to get every one of the local channels that time warner has for $7.00 for free and to top it all off you get channel wbng in HD unlike time warner!...

Robert, you are picking up the local analog and HD channels with the rabbit ears and your HD tv. The directTV box has nothing to do with it...it's just passing the signal through.

You get 2 channels of 34 east and west coast 2 channels 40 east & west coast 3 channels of 46 ALL FOR FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?, that would be quite a trick since none of our local station are uplinking to any satellite service at this time.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I have never heard of any west coast feeds for 34, 40 or 46 before. Are you sure this is correct? This is pretty big news (to me anyway)if it's true. Anyone else out there picking those up?

Guest Guest

Cable companies are constantly raising prices because they are in the process of converting thousands of miles of subterranean cable into digital cable, which is extremely expensive. If you don't want to see your prices climb higher and higher, satellite is your best bet.

Guest another guest
QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 6 2008, 10:40 PM)

If you live in the "greater binghamton" area, you WILL NOT be allowed to get the networks through Direct as your considered to be in a grade "A" signal area....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert, you are picking up the local analog and HD channels with the rabbit ears and your HD tv. The directTV box has nothing to do with it...it's just passing the signal through.

Really?, that would be quite a trick since none of our local station are uplinking to any satellite service at this time.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I have never heard of any west coast feeds for 34, 40 or 46 before. Are you sure this is correct? This is pretty big news (to me anyway)if it's true. Anyone else out there picking those up?

Bump....still wondering about this. Anybody? Thanks.

Archived