Time Warner Strikes Again AARRRGGGHHH !

PARMELEE

I know this has been hashed over and over again, but I could use some feedback....I just received the notice from Time Warner about their rate increases yet again...I'm sick of their crap...I'm thinking about looking into a satellite dish and DSL...Here's my questions...As far as DSL can you uploaded photos at the same speed as broadband or do you have to wait forever?...As far as satellite, do you need multiple boxes for more than 1-2 tv's and is it better than Time Warner in the long run?...

Guest Guest
I know this has been hashed over and over again, but I could use some feedback....I just received the notice from Time Warner about their rate increases yet again...I'm sick of their crap...I'm thinking about looking into a satellite dish and DSL...Here's my questions...As far as DSL can you uploaded photos at the same speed as broadband or do you have to wait forever?...As far as satellite, do you need multiple boxes for more than 1-2 tv's and is it better than Time Warner in the long run?...

DSL sucks unless you happen to live down the street from the main phone office. Not worth it, cable is much faster. Just dump Time Warner TV service and keep roadrunner. Then you can just download free movies and TV LOL, or get a dish.

Guest Guest

I admit I know nothing about DSL.

when I moved a few years ago, I got rid TWC and got Direct TV.

You simply wouldn't believe how much clearer the picture is. It's like night and day.

I still get the 4 basic local cable channels so I can watch the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, and it's only $5 per month.

In almost 4 years, my rates haven't increased once.

I will also admit that I do lose service once or twice a year when a bad storm comes through, but it only lasts from 5 to 20 minutes tops.

I'm very happy.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

Yep, it's pretty ridiculous. Our bill is going up 4.50 a month. I swear it just went up a couple months ago. I really want to switch to DirecTV, but the major problem I have with the service is lack of obtaining the major networks. My understanding is this: You have to apply for a waiver for all the networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, WB) to receive those via satellite. NBC you will get without a hassle, but from what I hear if you're within 75 miles of a tower don't even bother with the waiver for CBS, ABC, FOX, WB because you will not get them.

So now you're forced to stick up an antenna of some sort to try and get the networks, or pay TWC to receive the lower channels (which I don't know if that includes their HD counterparts). Either solution isn't very user friendly when it comes down to it. You'll be switching between satellite and cable, or satellite and an antenna to get everything you want to see. I'm not even sure if a satellite company DVR would record a show off from the antenna or cable.. I hate having set top boxes, but if I go the satellite route I'm forced to have one on every TV. This is a big expense, and if they're built anything like the TWC boxes, I can expect to buy one every year or two.

Maybe I'll get over to the DirecTV place on Front St. and check it out for myself. Mainly to see what a pain it is to switch between sat/cable/antenna, and if it means running more coaxial to every room in the house. Or maybe if I suffer through 10 or 20 more TWC rate hikes FIOS will be in the area, with a whole batch of new questions.

unfortunately DSL SUCKS! the direct TV is fantastic though. so you get rid of time warned cable and get direct tv, then get rid of the digital phone and replace it with some cheep phone service. you should save a lot of money. so even though you will still have them for road runner you will not have to deal with the cable rate increases every other month.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
unfortunately DSL SUCKS! the direct TV is fantastic though. so you get rid of time warned cable and get direct tv, then get rid of the digital phone and replace it with some cheep phone service. you should save a lot of money. so even though you will still have them for road runner you will not have to deal with the cable rate increases every other month.

I agree about keeping RoadRunner, and also that TWC phone is a huge ripoff. There are a lot of smaller VOIP services out there for less than half of the cost. I'm using Viatalk.com. It's great. Two phone lines for less than 17 dollars a month.

One thing about Direct TV. You no longer purchase the box or the dish. You pay a one time leasing fee for the equipment. I just upgraded my standard Direct TV to the HD. I paid $99 for the new receiver and they sent a guy out to install it for me and replace my old dish with a new 5 lnb dish. They are required to get the HD channels. And yes, you can have a separate box for each TV, or if you are still using standard DTV, just split the coaxial after it comes out of the box, before it goes to your tv, run a line to the other tv, and get a remote signal booster from Radio Shack so you can change channels from another room. The only problem with this method is that you have to watch the same channel as the people on the other TV. If you watch for garage sales, you can pick up a used receiver and just buy a new access card and hook it up. The fee for an extra receiver is $4.99 per month.

As far as locals go, you can keep the TW locals for 5.00 or get "local" feeds thru DTV for 1.50 each, in HD. The feeds are from NYC, Atlanta, Boston, etc. all East coast so you can still watch the same programs on the same channels at the same time. My service, without the pay channels, HBO, Cinemax, etc. runs me $67.00 per month. I still get my Internet thru TW as well as my phone for 80.00 per month. When you figure it out, the "package" deal with TW costs about the same and you don't get nearly half the HD channels that I get. All Discovery channels, Sci Fi, Animal Planet, TBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, just to name a few. I wouldn't give up my DTV for anything. Compared to my parent's TW, the picture is 100% crisper and clearer.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
As far as locals go, you can keep the TW locals for 5.00 or get "local" feeds thru DTV for 1.50 each, in HD. The feeds are from NYC, Atlanta, Boston, etc. all East coast so you can still watch the same programs on the same channels at the same time.

Interesting, I didn't know this was available here yet. So you can pay to get all the networks: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB for 7.50 a month? That's not bad. Is PBS also offered through this? If I wouldn't have to rewire my whole house or put any switch boxes in I might be switching real soon!

Guest Guest

If you live in the "greater binghamton" area, you WILL NOT be allowed to get the networks through Direct as your considered to be in a grade "A" signal area. Now if you live up towards Bainbridge, that is considered a grade "B" area and you can automatically get all the networks except CBS. But WBNG has in the past given waivers out so that you can get CBS as well.

Interesting, I didn't know this was available here yet. So you can pay to get all the networks: CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB for 7.50 a month? That's not bad. Is PBS also offered through this? If I wouldn't have to rewire my whole house or put any switch boxes in I might be switching real soon!

Yes, PBS is offered. You have to apply for a waiver for the networks, but all I told them was that I live in between two mountains and I cannot even get a signal with a powered antenna. For that matter, even the cell phone service is iffy out here. The only one that denied me HD is FOX, although I still get standard reception. WB is not offered, instead I think it is CW which is not in HD.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Yes, PBS is offered. You have to apply for a waiver for the networks, but all I told them was that I live in between two mountains and I cannot even get a signal with a powered antenna. For that matter, even the cell phone service is iffy out here. The only one that denied me HD is FOX, although I still get standard reception. WB is not offered, instead I think it is CW which is not in HD.

Oh, I see, the waivers are still involved.. bummer. I don't know if I have a leg to stand on since I can see the towers from my front window.

Thanks for the info one and all it's really appreciated.... Still a bit confused here though...It seems with everything added up pay stations, road runner, and local stations it seems like it all adds up tobe about the same anyway....Damn, I hate TWC...

Guest time warner sucks

bc voice, i have directv. the way i solved the local channel issue was i sucked it up and bought an hd off-air antenna, 150' of coax cable. then i installed it my self in under 2 hours. the off-air antenna hooks directly in the back of my directv hd dvr box. when i want to watch my locals, it automaticly switches over with no delay. it's just like changing from channel to channel. with the hd off-air antenna i get the following in HD CBS wich you can't get through twc, ABC, FOX, PBS. I GET NBC OUT OF THE CITY WITH A WAIVER. the off-air setup cost roughly $130, but thats a 1 time fee, now i will get those channels free and never pay for them again.

Guest Guest

Seriously people, do a search on this board for the 5 million past topics on this, even since the new board arrived. But for that matter, do a search on the internet and call the company itself and ask the freaking questions.

This stuff is sooooooooooo getting old.

Guest Guest
Yep, it's pretty ridiculous. Our bill is going up 4.50 a month. I swear it just went up a couple months ago. I really want to switch to DirecTV, but the major problem I have with the service is lack of obtaining the major networks. My understanding is this: You have to apply for a waiver for all the networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, WB) to receive those via satellite. NBC you will get without a hassle, but from what I hear if you're within 75 miles of a tower don't even bother with the waiver for CBS, ABC, FOX, WB because you will not get them.

So now you're forced to stick up an antenna of some sort to try and get the networks, or pay TWC to receive the lower channels (which I don't know if that includes their HD counterparts). Either solution isn't very user friendly when it comes down to it. You'll be switching between satellite and cable, or satellite and an antenna to get everything you want to see. I'm not even sure if a satellite company DVR would record a show off from the antenna or cable.. I hate having set top boxes, but if I go the satellite route I'm forced to have one on every TV. This is a big expense, and if they're built anything like the TWC boxes, I can expect to buy one every year or two.

Maybe I'll get over to the DirecTV place on Front St. and check it out for myself. Mainly to see what a pain it is to switch between sat/cable/antenna, and if it means running more coaxial to every room in the house. Or maybe if I suffer through 10 or 20 more TWC rate hikes FIOS will be in the area, with a whole batch of new questions.

you need to call time warner and get into a package, you will save money that way.

Seriously people, do a search on this board for the 5 million past topics on this, even since the new board arrived. But for that matter, do a search on the internet and call the company itself and ask the freaking questions.

This stuff is sooooooooooo getting old.

So don't read it then, move on, better yet don't respond....

Guest Guest
So don't read it then, move on, better yet don't respond....

Really can't stand whiney victims. My cable is too high, let me log on to BCVoice to complain about it. Even though, that won't solve my problem, I will complain and complain and ask the same questions that I have asked before and never did anything about it. I won't call Direct TV and get the information from them. I won't investigate for myself on the internet. No, I will ask the same people time and time again what they think of cable vs. satellite because I really don't want to solve my problem, I just want to complain and start thread 1,345,944 of "cable vs. satellite, what do you think?".

Really can't stand whiney victims. My cable is too high, let me log on to BCVoice to complain about it. Even though, that won't solve my problem, I will complain and complain and ask the same questions that I have asked before and never did anything about it. I won't call Direct TV and get the information from them. I won't investigate for myself on the internet. No, I will ask the same people time and time again what they think of cable vs. satellite because I really don't want to solve my problem, I just want to complain and start thread 1,345,944 of "cable vs. satellite, what do you think?".

nasty20trollsu3.th.jpg

Troll Alert!!!

Guest Guest

I find it interesting when you don't agree with what someone says, you just reply with TROLL ALERT.

I am not a troll. In order to solve the problem, you do have to call customer service and get the information that applies to you. It's very simple really.

Guest Guest

In the middle of Feb 2009, there will be no more analog signals. Thus no waver. They can not force you to purchase a converter box so you get the signals from local stations. Thus Directv and dish network will be able to ofer these as local programming.

We dumped TWC, from a family position. RR is still here because its used for work and work is paying for it, so we win both ways.

Directv is the way to go, will not give it up no matter what.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
bc voice, i have directv. the way i solved the local channel issue was i sucked it up and bought an hd off-air antenna, 150' of coax cable. then i installed it my self in under 2 hours. the off-air antenna hooks directly in the back of my directv hd dvr box. when i want to watch my locals, it automaticly switches over with no delay. it's just like changing from channel to channel. with the hd off-air antenna i get the following in HD CBS wich you can't get through twc, ABC, FOX, PBS. I GET NBC OUT OF THE CITY WITH A WAIVER. the off-air setup cost roughly $130, but thats a 1 time fee, now i will get those channels free and never pay for them again.

That's good to hear there's no delay when switching. I've thought about doing what you describe, but shudder when I think of trying to run another line of coaxial to all or even some of the rooms. It might be possible that since I have a good view of Ingraham Hill I can just hook up antennas to the back of each set top box. Not the best solution, but might be good enough until the locals are offered on satellite.

Guest another guest

I have to agree somewhat with the earlier poster on the lack of people using the "search" funtion before posting a question of this nature. If the topic has been discussed before, there will be alot of good infomation that might not be posted again. I myself have written quite lengthy posts on this subject in the past...as have many others..trying to help people with their questions. And I don't type very fast, lol. The search funtion is very handy..more people should use it.

However, much info was lost when the old database was lost, so I don't mind repeating my two cents worth one more time.

Cable is not an option where I live. We used to have a big dish system, but big dish programming has lost many many channels so it was time for a change. I looked into both directv and dishnetwork. Really there were only 2 main differences between the two that I could see. One is, if you're a big football fan and willing to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket (about $250. for the season now), directtv is the only one that offers it. The other main difference, and the one that made me choose dishnetwork over directtv, is dishnetwork offers dual feed recievers. Directv has only single feed recievers. What that means is one dual feed reciever can run two tv's independently. We have 4 tv's, so I ordered 2 dual feed recievers and everyone can watch whatever they want on any tv. One is a Dual DVR reciever, for recording shows and works great. All the equipment and the installation was free to new subscribers, by the way, with both directv and dishnetwork. But to run 4 tv's independently with directtv, I would have needed 4 recievers. One is included with your subscription, additional recievers are 5 bucks a month with both satellite services. So with dishnetwork, it cost me an extra 5 bucks/month for the one extra dual feed reciever, Directtv would have been an extra 15 bucks per month for the 3 recievers to do the same thing. That adds up over time..well, it's an extra 120 dollars a year to be exact.

I already had the coax run to each tv, so hookup was easy. One wire to each tv carries both the satellite feed and any off air channels that you can get. Plus you can add DVD or VHS players into the mix with just that one coax, if you want. Switching from one to the other is as easy as changing the channel with the remote. Punch in 12 and wbng comes on..punch in 3 and I'm back to satellite. Change the imput and the dvd will play...pretty simple. I also get all the networks, both east and west coast feeds and PBS for 1.50/ mo each. I only had one old waiver from Fox I got years ago from the big dish days, and voilla, they all came in as a network package deal. They are not our local channels though, most are out of NYC. The west coast feeds are from California and came with the network package..they aren't extra , you get east and west for 1.50. Whenever our local stations decide to uplink their signal to the satellite providers, they will be able to be offered. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting though...it's probably a couple years down the road. But on the subject of our local channels, as an earlier poster said..if you have or get a new tv with a built in digital HD tuner, the local channels are coming in..for FREE..in HD..over the air. We live out in the hinderlands of Apalachin. I am picking them up with my outside antenna. My daughter lives in Endicott and she picks them up with a cheap ($20) indoor antenna from radio shack.

As for DSL, we just got it recently through Frontier. Never having roadrunner, I can't compare the two, but it seems pretty fast to me. Pages load in a second, large pics come in a couple seconds, a typical 4 minute song takes about 15 - 20 seconds. Compared to my old dialup, this is like lightning to me, lol.

Lastly, need one more reason to hate Time Warner?...(probably not)...Another thing about Roadrunner people might not know yet is, Time warner will soon be testing a new fee structure based on bandwidth consumption. The days of unlimited-access for one price are going to go away eventually. There will be new packages offered with monthly download caps of 5, 10, 20, or 40 gigabytes. No plan for unlimited access will be offered once this is in place. The article on this is in the new issue of PC magazine if you want to check it out.

Hope this was helpful, any other questions feel free to ask. And don't forget about that SEARCH button. :)

Guest Guest
Lastly, need one more reason to hate Time Warner?...(probably not)...Another thing about Roadrunner people might not know yet is, Time warner will soon be testing a new fee structure based on bandwidth consumption. The days of unlimited-access for one price are going to go away eventually. There will be new packages offered with monthly download caps of 5, 10, 20, or 40 gigabytes. No plan for unlimited access will be offered once this is in place. The article on this is in the new issue of PC magazine if you want to check it out.

Hope this was helpful, any other questions feel free to ask. And don't forget about that SEARCH button. :)

I looked for this on their site and could not find it. Which issue and page # please. If you have a link it it, please post here.

Thanks

Archived